The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 8 January 2020, 01:02 AM   #1
GaloCinza
"TRF" Member

ROO: Why the Rubberclad is much cheaper than other ROO?

Im planning to move forward on my watch collection and I just love the ROO!

Doing some research, I felt in love for the Rubberclad models, with that amazing black rubber bezel.

But what intrigued me was the price when checking chrono24 and other sites: the price for a rubberclad is much lower than other 42mm models.

Any special reason? Movement? Reliability?

Thanks in advance!

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk
GaloCinza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2020, 01:14 AM   #2
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaloCinza View Post
Im planning to move forward on my watch collection and I just love the ROO!

Doing some research, I felt in love for the Rubberclad models, with that amazing black rubber bezel.

But what intrigued me was the price when checking chrono24 and other sites: the price for a rubberclad is much lower than other 42mm models.

Any special reason? Movement? Reliability?

Thanks in advance!

First of all rubberclad models are discontinued so all those watches are older than the current ROO models.
2nd Rubber is cheaper than the other bezels (Stainless Steel and Ceramic)
I have never seen a rubberclad in the flesh or have any experience or information on their longevity but logic tells me that rubber bezels can’t last as much as the others , I would think their more degradable.

These are just logic observations, but I am sure other members with experience on these models can give you better info .

Personally I would stick to Ceramic bezels

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2020, 01:23 AM   #3
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeCCW View Post
First of all rubberclad models are discontinued so all those watches are older than the current ROO models.
2nd Rubber is cheaper than the other bezels (Stainless Steel and Ceramic)
I have never seen a rubberclad in the flesh or have any experience or information on their longevity but logic tells me that rubber bezels can’t last as much as the others , I would think their more degradable.

These are just logic observations, but I am sure other members with experience on these models can give you better info .

Personally I would stick to Ceramic bezels

Good luck

All true - and a great watch.

One thing that I would add is that the Rubber overlay on the bezel (it is basically a wrapping of sorts) is quickly susceptible to wear and ‘aging’ - scratching or ‘tearing’ is possible as well. (As one could expect from anything made of rubber) This is not a reason worth staying away from the watch as they have always been quite popular - but you have to be cognizant it for sure.

Due to this AP offers to replace the ‘rubberized’ bezel with a ceramic one at service - if the owner is so inclined. I think it’s cool - but definitely takes away some of the original desire of the reference. I wish they’d replace the bezel and the pushers - and I’d be in!!!

RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2020, 01:57 AM   #4
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHIII View Post
All true - and a great watch.

One thing that I would add is that the Rubber overlay on the bezel (it is basically a wrapping of sorts) is quickly susceptible to wear and ‘aging’ - scratching or ‘tearing’ is possible as well. (As one could expect from anything made of rubber) This is not a reason worth staying away from the watch as they have always been quite popular - but you have to be cognizant it for sure.

Due to this AP offers to replace the ‘rubberized’ bezel with a ceramic one at service - if the owner is so inclined. I think it’s cool - but definitely takes away some of the original desire of the reference. I wish they’d replace the bezel and the pushers - and I’d be in!!!

Agree with this, and had they been open to doing that, I would have maybe kept mine. The rubber on mine didn't tear but over time it develops a sheen to it, which i do not like. Replacing it with another rubber one is quite pricey too, cannot recall but it was more than I had expected. Also the rubber pushers, if you use them, will start to wear at the edges, I did start to see this on mine. If you get a black dial, try to get an H serial as this was updated to a glossy dial and white gold surrounds on the numerals, makes a big difference! Below was mine, I really enjoyed it but larger watches kinda fizzled out for me.

V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2020, 03:06 AM   #5
GaloCinza
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
Agree with this, and had they been open to doing that, I would have maybe kept mine. The rubber on mine didn't tear but over time it develops a sheen to it, which i do not like. Replacing it with another rubber one is quite pricey too, cannot recall but it was more than I had expected. Also the rubber pushers, if you use them, will start to wear at the edges, I did start to see this on mine. If you get a black dial, try to get an H serial as this was updated to a glossy dial and white gold surrounds on the numerals, makes a big difference! Below was mine, I really enjoyed it but larger watches kinda fizzled out for me.

Wow great picture!!!! Your rubber bezel looks perfect still! Thanks for the advice!

Old 8 January 2020, 03:08 AM   #6
GaloCinza
"TRF" Member

Thank you all for the infos and advices! I think it’s an amazing watch and for $13 to 15k its a steal, if you compare to other brands, hot rolexes models and even other AP models.

Old 8 January 2020, 05:07 AM   #7
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
I owned a rose gold rubberclad, that and the steel versions are iconic Offshores. To keep the watch looking it’s best you’ll need to replace the rubber every 24-36 months as it goes shiny no matter how careful you are and the rubber can tear or chip if you knock the watch against a door for example.

AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2020, 05:25 AM   #8
mspeed76
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, RM
rubberclad was my first offshore!

are you sure the AP service center will upgrade it to ceramic for you? I thought they only offered this for the Grand Prix
mspeed76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2020, 05:28 AM   #9
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspeed76 View Post
rubberclad was my first offshore!

are you sure the AP service center will upgrade it to ceramic for you? I thought they only offered this for the Grand Prix

I was offered it by the AP boutique in London when I was changing the bezel on my rubberclad.

Old 8 January 2020, 06:02 AM   #10
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

OP, also keep in mind that the steel rubberclad used the 2326 movement for some reason, not the 3126 used in all of the other Offshores. Used a 2840 chrono instead of 3840 as well. 3126 is in house and well known whereas the 2326 is a JLC base which is finished by AP. Food for thought but I had no issues with mine.
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2020, 06:08 AM   #11
Dave from NYC
"TRF" Member

I have an H series ROO RC purchased from an AD in 2011. Yes, I baby my watches, but my bezel is still 100%. Occasionally, I do see ones where the black nitril has started to fade and that really kills the look. What I believe to be more common is the dulling of the sharp edges. Again, if you can find a clean example go for it and take care of it. I have ceramic in the collection now as well, but something about the way those screws really pop set against the black rubber looks amazing.
Dave from NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2020, 06:27 AM   #12
DoxaDavid
"TRF" Member

I have both a RG and Steel Rubber clad. The rubber is perfect on both after several years. The RG doesn't get worn as much but I wear the SS a lot and it has held up well.

I may opt to replace one or both the bezels to ceramic at service time only for a change of pace but would not hesitate to buy one. As you say, they are a great value, look awesome and to me a 42mm is the perfect size. Bigger isn't always better!

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues. " Abraham Lincoln 1809-1865
DoxaDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2020, 06:44 AM   #13
AltiTudor
"TRF" Member

I had mine 10+ years before I decided to replace the bezel during a service. It looked about 90% up until that point (looks new now). I'd say that if you're concerned about the durability of the ROO Rubberclad — don't be.
AltiTudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2020, 02:07 PM   #14
GaloCinza
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
OP, also keep in mind that the steel rubberclad used the 2326 movement for some reason, not the 3126 used in all of the other Offshores. Used a 2840 chrono instead of 3840 as well. 3126 is in house and well known whereas the 2326 is a JLC base which is finished by AP. Food for thought but I had no issues with mine.

Good point!

Old 13 January 2020, 06:49 AM   #15
Colin W
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post
I was offered it by the AP boutique in London when I was changing the bezel on my rubberclad.

Hey Ash when did AP London start offering the change of bezel option?

I wish they offered the ceramic bez exchange a few years ago - I would have kept both my SS and RG RC and swapped the bez at service time!

Old 14 January 2020, 03:09 AM   #16
aa909
Banned

I have the RG Rubber and my bezel looks perfect after 5 years. I don't wear it regularly but it has held up perfectly
aa909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 06:05 AM   #17
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin W View Post
Hey Ash when did AP London start offering the change of bezel option?

I wish they offered the ceramic bez exchange a few years ago - I would have kept both my SS and RG RC and swapped the bez at service time!

I was offered the bezel exchange about 5 years ago.

Old 14 January 2020, 07:13 AM   #18
Colin W
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post
I was offered the bezel exchange about 5 years ago.

Thanks Ash.
I’ve not visited AP London in a while, last time was when Alistair was in charge at the old place in Brooks Mews. Time seems to go faster the older I get!

Old 14 January 2020, 07:22 AM   #19
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin W View Post
Thanks Ash.
I’ve not visited AP London in a while, last time was when Alistair was in charge at the old place in Brooks Mews. Time seems to go faster the older I get!

It was Alistair who informed me of the bezel exchange option.