The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 January 2020, 01:22 PM   #1
IR201
"TRF" Member

SD43 hurting my wrist and bluesy feels perfect

I got the SD43 a couple of months ago and loved it at first. Now every time I put it on, even for 15 minutes, my wrist starts to hurt and feel sore. It's killing enjoyability for me even though I love the look.

I figured maybe it is just too heavy for me. But then I decided to compare it's weight to my 6 digit bluesy, which feels perfect. The SD43 sized for me is 179 grams and the bluesy 162 grams. It can't be the 17 gram separation that is making the SD43 feel super heavy for me while the bluesy is fine. Any theories out there?
IR201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2020, 01:29 PM   #2
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Could use more info.

How tight/loose do you wear it?

Do you wear your watch before or after the wrist bone.

What’s your wrist diameter?
kieselguhr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2020, 01:31 PM   #3
MSchu
Banned

I'll buy it.
MSchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2020, 01:32 PM   #4
Roger Lococco
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126719BLRO Pepsi

I think it’s the watch thickness and shape of the back of the case. I loved mine, but it got so uncomfortable that I simply could not wear it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roger Lococco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2020, 01:32 PM   #5
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieselguhr View Post
Could use more info.

How tight/loose do you wear it?

Do you wear your watch before or after the wrist bone.

What’s your wrist diameter?
Sure I wear both above the wrist bone, try to have a pinky fit between the bracelet and wrist, wrist diameter is just shy of 7 inches
IR201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2020, 01:35 PM   #6
EndlessEight
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk, BLRO
Case back protrusion concentrates the weight instead of uniformly dispersing it as with the Sub.
EndlessEight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2020, 01:55 PM   #7
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by IR201 View Post
I got the SD43 a couple of months ago and loved it at first. Now every time I put it on, even for 15 minutes, my wrist starts to hurt and feel sore. It's killing enjoyability for me even though I love the look.

I figured maybe it is just too heavy for me. But then I decided to compare it's weight to my 6 digit bluesy, which feels perfect. The SD43 sized for me is 179 grams and the bluesy 162 grams. It can't be the 17 gram separation that is making the SD43 feel super heavy for me while the bluesy is fine. Any theories out there?
For some it’s the shape of the caseback. I find I have to wear it snug to get a good fit
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2020, 02:33 PM   #8
Brny11
"TRF" Member

As much as I love the SD43 (and even more so, the SD4K), I would never get either over my sub as a daily driver. Don’t know how some deal with that discomfort, but I would never buy one for this very reason.
Brny11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2020, 02:34 PM   #9
epc2
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV,Pam etc.
Sounds like you're another victim of the caseback of the SD43.
epc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2020, 03:15 PM   #10
MTdweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: the time fly!
Probably the way the case back is sitting on your wrist. Too bad the watch isn’t comfortable - that would be a deal-breaker for me.
MTdweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2020, 04:51 PM   #11
robrtx
"TRF" Member

Watch: you talkin' 'bout
As has been stated, a snug fit will sometimes help. Have you tried removing diver's extension? Sometimes that will throw off how the watch fits and cause discomfort.
Old 15 January 2020, 05:07 PM   #12
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601

Quote:
Sure I wear both above the wrist bone, try to have a pinky fit between the bracelet and wrist, wrist diameter is just shy of 7 inches

It sounds like you should be able to wear the watch comfortably.

For me personally, as long as the watch is worn snug (pinky fit) and proximal (before) to the wrist bone, it minimizes wiggle room and negates any discomfort associated with

- sharp edges
- weight
- movement
- caseback shape

Here is a picture for reference

Although the Milgauss is lighter by about 30grams, it still shares a similar caseback to the SD43. It doesn’t move around even during activities involving arm movement.
kieselguhr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2020, 05:29 PM   #13
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
Do you still have the diving suit extension links on? If so this alone could be a discomfort factor. Another factor can be uncentered clasp due to improper resizing.
So, extension links must be taken off. Watch should be resized in a way so the clasp is dead center on the back of the wrist. If all the above is done and watch is worn snag behind wrist bone, the watch will almost feel like it’s not there anymore after a short period of wearing it.

Quote:

Old 15 January 2020, 05:49 PM   #14
Wimbledon
Banned

Watch: Me Serve
Quote:

Naaa...I own all of these watches and have a 7" wrist. There isn't THAT much difference among them. This is likely an adjustment issue.

My daily is the 44MM James Cameron D-Blue DeepSea. I barely notice it sometimes. My suggestion is to remove the extension-clasp on the SD43 bracelet and make sure you have it sized correctly.
Wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2020, 08:02 PM   #15
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
As has been said above, the caseback shape of the SD43 (and the watches larger overall size) may be causing your discomfort. The weight distribution may also be a factor as the watch head of the SD43 will be heavier than your Sub (given that the sub TT bracelet will be heavier than the SD43's all steel bracelet)

Have a play around with sizing - you may need the watch head to sit closer to the thumb side of your wrist and be either tighter or looser than you currently wear it.

I find my SD43 extremely comfortable to wear (its bascally my daily) but it has to be snug on me (no more than half a pinky gap) but I appreciate that its not for everyone.

Key was removing the diver's extension and getting the number of links on the 6 oclock side correct, so I could play around with the 2mm adjustments on the glidelock until I found the perfect fit.

HTH

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2020, 08:08 PM   #16
Brew
"TRF" Member

It's probably more comfortable worn over a wetsuit, as intended.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2020, 08:26 PM   #17
nevergiveup
Banned

Rolex made the case back very thick to make the case look slimmer to make the wr. Makes the watch sit high on the wrist like on a ball. I like a thicker case and flatter case back like Tudor divers and my DS.
nevergiveup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2020, 08:36 PM   #18
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergiveup View Post
Rolex made the case back very thick to make the case look slimmer to make the wr. Makes the watch sit high on the wrist like on a ball. I like a thicker case and flatter case back like Tudor divers and my DS.
Sea dweller case-backs have always been thicker and its purely for the extra WR, nothing to do with making the case look slimmer. its all about the physics.

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2020, 10:26 PM   #19
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
As stated above, I believe the issue will be how the bracelet is setup. It can take some time to figure it out but when you do it will work well. On the SD43, I took out the divers extension and modified the links on the 6 o'clock side. Fits great for me now and it is not too heavy for me.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2020, 11:55 PM   #20
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Just get a sub. Is basically the same look. The SD is a nice watch but really flips and flops for those that like myself play sports and use the watches for things more than desk diving. Cue the people telling me no way man it’s comfortable. Sorry I don’t want to tighten the watch to such a degree it’s uncomfortable. It’s a weight issue, here.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2020, 12:26 AM   #21
Roli4life
"TRF" Member

I own both (hulk not 2 tone) and I find the SD43 VERY comfortable.
I did remove the dive extension, and have 7.25’’ wrists. I would add that any watch fit is subjective to the owner, due to the varying wrist sizes, and shapes. For instance I have a groove between the bones on my wrist that fits well with the bulge at the bottom of the SD case.
Roli4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2020, 01:42 AM   #22
abozz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660, 126600
I´m sure is a bracelet sizing problem. I found the SD43 more comfy that my SubC because the wider bracelet. But you will found a buyer of you SD43 soon!
abozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2020, 01:55 AM   #23
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
It’s the case-back on the SD43. Imo try the new 126660 and you’ll be pleasantly surprised how much more comfy it is than the SD43.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2020, 02:45 AM   #24
Oyster Al
"TRF" Member

I REALLY wanted to like the sd43. Kept it for a year but every time I slapped it on, it felt too heavy, too top heavy and just uncomfortable with that tiny caseback this beast sits on. (Even with all the adjustment suggestions) During the same time I bought the standard issue ceramic sub date and boy I couldn’t stop wearing it on my 7.5 in wrist. Way more comfy and basically the same look and presence, sans the red letters in the dial and a few hash marks on bezel. So I sold the 43 and never looked back.
Oyster Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2020, 02:46 AM   #25
Gold Crown
Banned

Watch: 6265 18K Daytona
Quote:

I have a fix, send it to me I’ll give it a good home 😀
Gold Crown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2020, 02:58 AM   #26
epc2
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV,Pam etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 904vt View Post
it’s the case-back on the sd43. Imo try the new 126660 and you’ll be pleasantly surprised how much more comfy it is than the sd43.
+1
epc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2020, 03:09 AM   #27
marc2828
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,LV,SD43,PAMs
Interesting thread. I have owned the SD43 for quite some time and find it uncomfortable. I took out the divers extension and have tried multiple sizing differences. I am not the norm as my daily wearer is a Casio Protrek weighing 85grams. The 180gram SD43 is maybe too heavy. I don't think it is the case back...I think it is the sharp edges on the case, band, and crown. If you wear the watch snug above the wrist bone, that fixes most issues, however, if you sweat at all, it gets uncomfortable, and I find myself loosening the glidelock...then it slides around and bugs me. I never sleep in it. I wish Rolex would make a 44mm Submariner. Flat and wide like my wrist. And maybe black face with a dark (not smurfy) blue ceramic bezel.
marc2828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2020, 03:19 AM   #28
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Sold my SD43 for the exact same reason. I can wear any other watch and some are heavier and bigger without any issues. The SD43 regardless how I set up the clasp and links, was torture. There is a X factor to this watch and it’s protruding case back that kills my 7.25” flat wrist. I don’t even understand why the SD43 case back even has to be designed the way it is??? Rolex could easily make it flatter and wider. Any thickness gain by doing this would be nominal it would be nothing on a alpha diver.

I can wear a DSSD JC but not a SD43. It’s not just me either.
Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2020, 03:30 AM   #29
Tangier11
Banned

Watch: ROLEX
I never liked the size. It just seems overkill to me. Go with the Sub
Tangier11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2020, 03:43 AM   #30
H25B
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR, SD43, OP31
Considering most wearers won’t submerge the thing deeper than bathtub depth, it has always seemed sort of unnecessary to me. Go with a Sub.
H25B is offline   Reply With Quote