The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 January 2020, 03:52 AM   #31
marc2828
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,LV,SD43,PAMs
Quote:
Originally Posted by H25B View Post
Considering most wearers won’t submerge the thing deeper than bathtub depth, it has always seemed sort of unnecessary to me. Go with a Sub.
most of us agree with this. However, the 40mm Sub looks too small on >7" wrists. Looks like I am wearing my wife's watch.
marc2828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2020, 04:30 AM   #32
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
Exactly. This is the main reason why a didn’t get the BLRO / BLNR and the sub but ordered the SD43 instead based on size mainly. I tried every steel and TT Rolex makes but nothing came close to the perfection of the SD43 look on my wrist. The JC also looked perfect but felt like the case was falling off my wrist all the time. Too tall for a rainy watch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc2828 View Post
most of us agree with this. However, the 40mm Sub looks too small on >7" wrists. Looks like I am wearing my wife's watch.
Old 16 January 2020, 05:09 AM   #33
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
I dunno mine is 7.5 inches and flat and I think the Sub is plenty large.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sub lume small.jpg (208.9 KB, 380 views)
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2020, 05:31 AM   #34
marc2828
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,LV,SD43,PAMs
Quote:
Originally Posted by 904VT View Post
nice pic
marc2828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2020, 06:06 AM   #35
904VT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
nice pic
Thank you. Love the look of lume on a Rolex diver myself
Old 16 January 2020, 06:10 AM   #36
bezler
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You're just used to oversized watches. The 40 mm sub is a nice, big watch on my 8" wrist.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk
Old 16 January 2020, 06:28 AM   #37
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

Caseback protrudes a lot. Many TRF posts on this topic. This is why I went to the DSSD (more comfortable), same with SubC, as both have a far less protruding caseback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2020, 06:40 AM   #38
FATO
Banned

I own all three. SD 43, bluesy, hulk. I find sd43 quite comfortable. Took out diver extension and one link. 7.25 inches wrist. It caused skin irritation the first two weeks and I had considered selling it but my wife convinced me to keep it. I am glad I listened to her. Now I can’t tell much difference among my watches. Give it time. I love my SD43. It has more of a presence than the Hulk and Bluesy.

FATO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2020, 06:58 AM   #39
EndlessEight
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk, BLRO

EndlessEight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2020, 09:46 AM   #40
IR201
"TRF" Member

I think it might indeed be the caseback and/or weight of the watch head alone combined with the shape of my wrist. I do have the divers extension off and the clasp dead center, and it does feel better when I go tighter on the glidelock, but it feels like I'm in this weird inbetween space where the tighter fit is is moderately more comfortable but too tight, and the looser one hurts even more. I'm honestly perplexed because when I first got it the tighter slot on my glidelock felt good and my wrist didn't hurt. Maybe I gained weight..

Anyway, this whole thing has me super sensitive to casebacks that stick out. Was considering a milgauss z blue but now I'm a bit scared the same thin will happen.
IR201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2020, 09:50 AM   #41
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Exactly

To each their own, and perhaps tastes change over time, but I find 40mm Rolex references are my sweet spot.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2020, 10:18 AM   #42
jerryguo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP, Lange
Try the rubber strap from Everest, it reduces the overall weight and makes the watch more comfortable to wear
jerryguo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2020, 10:26 AM   #43
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryguo View Post
Try the rubber strap from Everest, it reduces the overall weight and makes the watch more comfortable to wear
I would if they had a glidelock version. I don't typically like the tang straps because extra slack through strap keepers gets on my nerves
Old 16 January 2020, 01:25 PM   #44
Greg5512
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Big Block
We are all different

I had the same issue nothing helped

The so called experts can tell you affirmatively what the issue is...

However, some can’t wear certain watches and that’s that...I have a 7.75 inch wrist and anything other than Panerai over 42mm hurts. Period.
Greg5512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2020, 01:34 PM   #45
djyolky
Banned

2 scenarios. One fixable, the other isn't.

The SD43 is too big of a diameter for your wrist. Fixable: Sell it.

Or, the 17 gram differential weight is too much for you to overcome. A workout regiment will not help you in this case. Not fixable.

Alternative solution: Man up, decide yourself.

P.S. According to your wrist shot you supplied, the SD43 is too big for your wrist. Please see scenario 1 above.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
djyolky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2020, 01:47 PM   #46
Bladeshot

Watch: GMT 1675 PCG Gilt
Quote:
It’s the case-back on the SD43. Imo try the new 126660 and you’ll be pleasantly surprised how much more comfy it is than the SD43.

Bingo!

There are threads on the small diameter of the case back on the SD43 and how it simply hurts some folks. I’m one of them. Tried it at least twice. Wanted to love the 43. It just was not comfortable on me.

I read up more. Debated internally and then got the 126660. Larger diameter case back made the difference. It does not hurt me like the 43 did. Cushion case on the DBlue is comfortable and I’m delighted.

We are all different. Your mileage may vary. YMMV
Old 16 January 2020, 01:50 PM   #47
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djyolky View Post

Or, the 17 gram differential weight is too much for you to overcome. A workout regiment will not help you in this case. Not fixable.

P.S. According to your wrist shot you supplied, the SD43 is too big for your wrist. Please see scenario 1 above.

Don't think I gave a wrist shot here? But you might be right regardless
Old 16 January 2020, 01:51 PM   #48
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladeshot View Post
Bingo!

There are threads on the small diameter of the case back on the SD43 and how it simply hurts some folks. I’m one of them. Tried it at least twice. Wanted to love the 43. It just was not comfortable on me.

I read up more. Debated internally and then got the 126660. Larger diameter case back made the difference. It does not hurt me like the 43 did. Cushion case on the DBlue is comfortable and I’m delighted.

We are all different. Your mileage may vary. YMMV
Tough psychological move for me to go from a bigger watch that is hurting me to an even bigger one! Have to overcome the caseback confounder I suppose
Old 16 January 2020, 01:54 PM   #49
djyolky
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IR201 View Post
You're right! I saw a different posters pic and assumed it was yours. Post a wrist shot if you haven't, that may be it though.

djyolky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2020, 02:34 PM   #50
chriswang0130
"TRF" Member

I think sometime is because the bracelet is not adjusted to the perfect fit. My deep sea was not comfortable and after I re-adjust it. It is very comfortable!

♛ Deepsea JC2 126660
♛ Milgauss Black Dial 116400GV
♛ GMT Master II 126710BLNR
chriswang0130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2020, 03:55 PM   #51
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
Your sub looks On your wrist like the SD43 on mine.
I’ve always said the size difference between these 2 watches when on the wrist not much.

Quote:
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 71EA374F-56EB-46BC-9900-7A67CDFEC0BF.jpeg (109.0 KB, 310 views)
Old 16 January 2020, 09:46 PM   #52
Bladeshot

Watch: GMT 1675 PCG Gilt
Quote:
Tough psychological move for me to go from a bigger watch that is hurting me to an even bigger one! Have to overcome the caseback confounder I suppose

Excellent point. It was a mental gymnastics for me.

As others mentioned, the Submariner reference is fantastic. I enjoy my Sub Date. The Sub is in the Goldilocks zone for me - just right.
Old 16 January 2020, 09:56 PM   #53
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Have you tried playing around with the number of links at 12 and 6 o’clock? I find that every reference is slightly different for me.

I have a relatively flat shaped 7” wrist and a fairly pronounced ulnar bone. I like to wear my watches behind the wrist bone with about a pinky gap. I have my watches set as follows using 12 o’clock and 6 o’clock as reference:

SubC: 6 and 4
SD43: 5 and 4 1/2 (no divers extension)
Dblue: 6 and 4 1/2 (when I owned it)
BLRO: 8 and 6

Try playing around to see if you can get a better fit. If this doesn’t work, I guess you’ll have to move it on. No harm in trying first.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2020, 12:24 AM   #54
904VT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rori View Post
Your sub looks On your wrist like the SD43 on mine.
I’ve always said the size difference between these 2 watches when on the wrist not much.
I agree. The Sub is just as much a 40mm watch as the Daytona, which isn't really one at all. Lug to lug and wider case, really means it's not a true 40mm watch. Plenty large. The SD43 really just has a different case shape, larger/wider bezel insert and thicker case-back. So different shape, but not really different sizes. Rolex already gave all the "super-case complainers" the Sub they wanted with a large bezel inlay etc and many haven't realized it yet lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8279 small.jpg (230.7 KB, 271 views)
Old 17 January 2020, 12:33 AM   #55
904VT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djyolky View Post

It has nothing to do with a small 17g weight difference imo or even the diameter of the case. Simply the case-back shape and size just as the Milgauss doesn't wear like a DJ41. For some the small diameter, deeper case-back rubs against their wrist bone. Which is why so many say to wear high and tight. Speaking extremes, I honestly don't think the new 126660 wears a whole lot different than the 116610, it's just thicker that's it really. So not sure all the talk on the forums how one can wear a Sub but the DSSD is too big or how the Sub is just too small for them and they need a SD43 or DSSD. Anyone who has experience with all 3 of these watches more than likely will say the same. Too much focus on paper measurements (which aren't accurate always) of these watches nowadays imo.
Old 17 January 2020, 02:05 AM   #56
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
Sold my SD43 for the exact same reason. I can wear any other watch and some are heavier and bigger without any issues. The SD43 regardless how I set up the clasp and links, was torture. There is a X factor to this watch and it’s protruding case back that kills my 7.25” flat wrist. I don’t even understand why the SD43 case back even has to be designed the way it is??? Rolex could easily make it flatter and wider. Any thickness gain by doing this would be nominal it would be nothing on a alpha diver.

I can wear a DSSD JC but not a SD43. It’s not just me either.
That looks awesome on your wrist
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2020, 03:29 AM   #57
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
The SD43 hurt my wallet, other than that perfect watch to me. Sorry for those who had to let it go due to discomfort.

I own divers with larger casebacks and they rub against my wrist bone sooner or later when they slip towards the hand, which can be a bit painful. I just put them back up above the wrist bone but the discomfort is noticeable after a day's wear.

With the SD43 however I don't have this problem as the smaller caseback sits nicely between the wrist edges. Also the thicker caseback makes the crown sit higher which reduces the rubbing of the crown against my hand if the watch slips below the wrist bone.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2020, 03:36 AM   #58
franktehtank
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub, GMT
I've owned many Rolex's, currently own a SD43 and I guess I'm lucky because I find it extremely comfortable. However, I've never found any Rolex I owned uncomfortable except for the Milgauss. For whatever reason, that watch I'd have to take off after a couple hours or it bugged me.

Have owned subs, explorer 1, 42mm polar exp ii... all a joy to wear on the wrist. SD43 has been no exception, exceedingly comfortable.
franktehtank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2020, 12:19 PM   #59
IR201
"TRF" Member

Here’s a couple pics of it on my wrist if that helps. Interestingly I also have the SD4K, which I think also has a bigger case back. That one hurts a little every now and then but much less.

Old 17 January 2020, 01:32 PM   #60
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Here’s a couple pics of it on my wrist if that helps. Interestingly I also have the SD4K, which I think also has a bigger case back. That one hurts a little every now and then but much less.

SD4K for comparison. It prob looks better on my wrist if I’m being honest. Might have to make it my last remaining sea dweller. Less is more I guess...