The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 17 January 2020, 03:08 AM   #1
PeteWales
"TRF" Member

Absolute beginner (Be gentle)

Hello,

I would like to buy an AP ROO for my upcoming 50th birthday (I literally learned the ROO abbreviation 5 minutes ago so that should demonstrate how new I am to AP).

I have had a few Rolexes and a Panerai and those companies are baffling enough with their labelling, models prices etc, and AP looks even more daunting.

I have a budget of about £20,000.00, I don't think that will get me in the door of an AD in the UK, so assume I am looking at an independent dealer. I have sold one watch ever, which I still regret, so am not a trader or speculator. I want to buy a watch to keep forever but I would like to buy a watch that holds its value well and keeps a little ahead of inflation.

I have at least 300 questions, maybe more, and am happy to do the legwork reading and research wise. Could anyone point me to any articles or videos that might help me an offer any general advice to start me off?

Thank you.

Pete
PeteWales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2020, 08:47 AM   #2
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Spend some time reading all the threads on here going back several months, you'll find a ton of generic info.

A ROO is going to lose you money unless you are going to keep it until your next decade birthday mile stone. Of course there are models that are better at retaining their values than others but they aren't £20k watches.

ROO's typically fall into two distinct models, 42mm and 44mm, the 44mm seems to be the favoured version at the moment whilst the 42mm seems to have been left behind by AP, although they have just updated it, so it may indicate further updates, but even those will be out of your price range.

The ROO 'rubber clad' is a 42mm model in steel and rose gold and are 'classic' AP ROO models, both are lovely, but both are legacy products now. You'll definitely be able to get those in your budget but then you have to be confident in the seller. (That's a totally different topic, and is also somewhat well discussed on here I believe.)

If you intend to keep it forever, then who cares about appreciation/depreciation, else buying a ROO isn't an investment and you might not see your purchase price back for many years.

Sorry, but it is what it is. Good luck in your search and whatever you do then for heavens sake be ultra confident in the seller if you buy from the grey market.
GS93108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2020, 09:26 AM   #3
maciej
2024 Pledge Member

For the money, I think this one that was just posted a few days ago knocks it out of the park.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=716830
maciej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2020, 09:46 AM   #4
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

I'd advise trying on both a 42mm and 44m before you make your decision. The nice thing is that there are really only 2 watches to choose from, but with a huge selection of special accents, colors, materials.
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2020, 11:02 AM   #5
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciej View Post
For the money, I think this one that was just posted a few days ago knocks it out of the park.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=716830
did not know that neiman marcus is in the watch game but here you go:

https://www.lastcall.com/Audemars-Pi...1014656/p.prod
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2020, 11:30 AM   #6
KBM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Hello, Pete, and welcome to the AP madness.

First of all, there is a sticky thread in this AP subforum (at the top of the thread's page) with precious advice to anyone looking at the possibility of purchasing a pre owned AP. Read that before anything else.

As to sourcing a watch in your price range, take a look at some trusted sellers here on TRF. You can find out who these guys are by checking the Who's who subforum of the Sales Corner. As it is so important to buy the seller when talking pre owned AP, a TS will not only give you peace of mind, but will most likely provide some of the best secure deals to be had for used ROO's.

Have fun with the hunt. There are many models and variations of the 42mm and 44mm offshores, so make the choosing and discovering part of the enjoyment of this moment.

Good luck, my friend.
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2020, 12:26 PM   #7
seansong93
Banned

Hi Pete, 20k GBP gets you quite a few options for ROO, there is every colour in the rainbow haha.

For something timeless and forever, I'd suggest going for the discontinued 15400 'normal' Royal Oak on bracelet. Or even the newer 15500. That fits well in your budget.
seansong93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2020, 12:51 PM   #8
Dave from NYC
"TRF" Member

GS93019 - Left behind by AP? Did you miss the 2 LE rose gold 42? that hit boutiques in December?

where you do come up with this stuff?

Last edited by Dave from NYC; 17 January 2020 at 12:52 PM.. Reason: .
Dave from NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2020, 06:55 PM   #9
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave from NYC View Post
GS93019 - Left behind by AP? Did you miss the 2 LE rose gold 42? that hit boutiques in December?

Hey 'Dvea from YCN', I didn't say abandoned, I said left behind and then I used the qualifier word 'seems'.

Two LE models is hardly a renaissance.

Clearly my comments were my opinion, thanks for yours, it really helps the OP on his journey.
Old 17 January 2020, 07:13 PM   #10
rumnyc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15202ST
Try a 44mm one even if you are set on 42mm. Especially side by side. I was all set on 42 before I tried 44mm which I had ruled out as too big before really trying.
rumnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2020, 08:52 PM   #11
PeteWales
"TRF" Member

Hello All,

Thank you for your replies. I am extremely grateful. I possibly overegged the 'investment' part of my post. I've had one of my watches 30 years and the other 15 years and I won't be selling an AP if I buy one either. In the back of my mind I would just like to know I have made a 'decent' choice financially, if that makes sense.

I think the number of colours and materials had overwhelmed me and I hadn't really grasped that there is essentially two model sizes. I can start there!

My Panerai is pretty big so a 44mm doesn't particularly scare me, but I wonder sometimes if I have just gotten used to the Panerai rather than it being the wisest purchase in the first place.

I had worked out that buying an AP off ebay prooooooobably isnt the best way foward but I will most definitely be investigating the best UK grey market dealers.

Cheers

Pete
Old 17 January 2020, 09:31 PM   #12
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Some really good advice on this threads, people have indeed been unusually gentle!

My personal favourite is the Diver. It also happens to be the entry level ROO which is convenient. And is readily available from AD’s (nice to get name on papers etc.). And comes in around your budget (suspect there may even be discounts to be had).

Not as exciting as other models, but I think it is stunning. And every time I’ve been attracted to another, I’ve gone to buy and ended up deciding I still prefer the Diver (which I don’t want to, as a part of me hates having entry level!).

But...listen to all the advice above, it’s rock solid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2020, 11:55 PM   #13
PJ S
Banned

Somehow, the initial contributors seemed to portray that Audemars only makes chronographs in the Offshore range!
Assuming you’re not averse to finding the model which really grabs you is discontinued, and therefore only available as a pre-owned option, then you will have a raft of options.

Here are the ones I have had a fondness for, mostly because the dials (bar the ceramic and blue/yellow models) were made on the rose turning machines as opposed to stamped.
That’s a purity the Offshores since then have been devoid of, and which (for me) is too much of a reduction in quality/horology to be acceptable.

https://www.chrono24.co.uk/audemarsp...id11345736.htm
https://www.chrono24.co.uk/audemarsp...id12058146.htm
https://www.chrono24.co.uk/audemarsp...id12926431.htm
https://www.chrono24.co.uk/audemarsp...id11680162.htm
https://www.chrono24.co.uk/audemarsp...id13383451.htm

Much as I also like the look of the Bartorelli model, the black is DLC, which when it starts to wear off (and it will), looks dire, and the bronze bezel can’t mitigate.

As you can see, you don’t have to spend your full budget to acquire something nice/interesting, and if you don’t, then you’ll have enough left over to afford something else nice/interesting…
https://www.chrono24.co.uk/girardper...id10605392.htm – ignore the severely incorrect size, it’s 43mm (measured 10-4)
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2020, 12:20 AM   #14
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Do a lot of research before deciding since there are so many different versions of the 42 and 44mm ROO. Take a look at Tim Mosso’s videos on Youtube. His videos are under Watchbox reviews or Govbergs.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2020, 12:59 AM   #15
GS93108
"TRF" Member

My bad, I had completely overlooked the Diver, it's a fab watch and is in my opinion somewhat in a league of it's own, and there's nothing entry level about any AP, it's what talks to the individual.

Diver would be a great watch and there's some great pics on showing many variations and colour schemes.
Old 18 January 2020, 01:45 AM   #16
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave from NYC View Post

Gary seems to have been referring to the design of the 42mm offshore rather than new releases. I also feel that this model is looking a bit dated compared to the 44mm model. The 42 doesn’t sell as easily either, I exclude the Diver as that although 42mm still looks modern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2020, 02:14 AM   #17
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
44mm sounds like the ticket for you, you lucky bugger, check out the SS and TI and CE models, should be around your budget, esp if preowned.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2020, 08:11 AM   #18
Burlington
"TRF" Member

If you want a chronograph then either the 44 range, or one of the recent 42 models from AP (red/black and the grey (ghost) ceramic bezel) someone else will know the model numbers.

The diver is a great option - although rumour has it that a new version may be due in 2020 as the current model is discontinued.

Most ROOs come on a rubber strap which is exceedingly comfortable, but can also be had on hornback crocodile and bracelets.

As someone else above has mentioned though - if you want the more ‘classic’ AP then do explore the Royal Oak (RO) range too.

Some more diver shots if that is a piece which interests you !

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2020, 08:16 PM   #19
PeteWales
"TRF" Member

Hello again all,

Thank you for the feedback, again much appreciated. I do like the Diver model very much, less is more etc. Thank you for all the photos.

Are the Divers seen as less desirable in some way? Are they also in 42 or 44mm or a single size?

Thank you!
Old 18 January 2020, 11:03 PM   #20
PJ S
Banned

Diver has only been the one size – 42mm.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 02:21 AM   #21
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Grab a 15707ce or 26400IO
Old 19 January 2020, 08:04 AM   #22
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteWales View Post
Hello again all,

Thank you for the feedback, again much appreciated. I do like the Diver model very much, less is more etc. Thank you for all the photos.

Are the Divers seen as less desirable in some way? Are they also in 42 or 44mm or a single size?

Thank you!

They are the ground floor of the ROO line, but actually hold their own very much against the rest of the 42s.

There are certainly more ‘desirable’ divers than others. The ceramic being top of the bunch and then some very nice older LEs. The standard black and white dial staples are truly awesome though. I wear mine every day for virtually all activities. It doesn’t draw much attention, but is a very special piece to wear with the multiple finishes and sapphire caseback.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 05:26 PM   #23
MrEleven
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega-Rolex-AP
I bought the ap diver last year, best watch ive ever owned by a mile. I got a mint condition 2017 model for £12,000 on Chrono24 and bought the steel bracelet for £2750 so total just under £15k. Google some images of the diver on the bracelet, gives the watch a completely different look
MrEleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 07:20 PM   #24
ec00421
Banned

I would say go for a 15400/15500 or Diver
ec00421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2020, 12:05 AM   #25
marc2828
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,LV,SD43,PAMs
What about this model?

https://www.chrono24.com/audemarspig...id13166562.htm
marc2828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2020, 02:41 PM   #26
seansong93
Banned

Also, the new titanium 42mm version is pretty sweet. Thin and light but has good presence. I've never been a fan of the 'nipple' pushers of the 42 and the fact that they integrated the 44mm pushers is really nice.

seansong93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 09:47 PM   #27
PeteWales
"TRF" Member

Again, thank you all. Much to consider. Will report back!

Pete
Old 22 January 2020, 03:33 AM   #28
Gravity
"TRF" Member

The long lost Survivor is often overlooked as well. Still a mystery why this limited edition can be had for such a bargain, it's my daily now and love it.
Gravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2020, 03:52 AM   #29
dr3ziz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteWales View Post
Again, thank you all. Much to consider. Will report back!

Pete

Hi Pete welcome to TRF , must warn you it’s pretty dangerous on your wallet to be a member here Massive enabling going on haha
With regard to your query Private message sent to you
dr3ziz is offline   Reply With Quote