The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 December 2023, 09:51 AM   #1
DavideV67
"TRF" Member

Rolex daytona 116520 …. The marks...as i see them

Hello everyone.
I am writing from Italy and I have decided to share this "latest effort" of mine with you too.
I apologize immediately if you find some words wrong (I'm using Google Translate) and if this article of mine is out of place.
After comparing all the dials seen from 2022 to today with those I have archived over the previous years. This allowed me to catalog as best I could the various Marks present on this reference, also placing them in time bands.
Obviously, being a self-taught work, it can be (and I hope it is) subject to corrections/in-depth analysis and therefore, if after comparing those you have seen/owned and of which you are 100% certain of the originality/coevalness , if there are any changes to be made... they are welcome!!
This humble publication of mine was also dictated by the fact that some dials are not present in the catalogs found online and this has created quite a few "failures" as they were deemed not to be contemporary (to the great disappointment of the owners, alas).
The one most tormented by these "expertise" is the one I have classified as Mk 6: it has the "misfortune" of being very similar to the Mk1 (especially in having the long minute track on the sides of the "Swiss Made" writing) and therefore when it is seen on serials post 2003/2004 he is pilloried (the last episode happened just yesterday).
In reality it is a very, very common dial seen since 2008 and present until the end of production.
It differs from the Mk 1 both for the alignments in the graphics (slight in the "5 lines" but more evident at 6 o'clock) and for the counters ("bronzed" in the Mk 1 - "mirrored" in the Mk6).
However, the Mk 6 bis is not at all "problematic" as it is identical in every way but with the short minute track at 6 o'clock, like all its other contemporaries.
In cataloging I felt I had to keep unchanged the order found on the internet only of the first 3 Mk, those defined as "first series", accompanied (not always) by the slim hands since, as is well known, they are dials that were used indiscriminately in the first years of life of 116520.
I have 2 other "types" of dials in my archive that could be part of the very first productions but I have never seen them live and I do not consider the documentation I have sufficient at the moment. In this case they will be integrated later as Mk 1bis and 1ter.
For all the others I tried to follow a chronological order (always and exclusively based on my personal experience).
The differences between the various Mk concern very small (sometimes almost imperceptible) details in the graphics and alignments.
As you will see in the photos I have also included the type of luminescent material used as well as the "colour" of the counters, characteristics that can be found, without distinction, on the same Mk.
P.S.: only on the Mk 7 and 8 I am not sure (since I have never seen them) with the "double luminescence" ...
Obviously here the confirmation on the coevalness will be obtained by "analyzing" the serial number of the watch on the basis of other information such as:
- Superluminova luminescence (seen) until the first half of 2014
- Chromalight luminescence (seen) starting May/June 2013
- “bronzed” counters (seen) up to medium “V”.
- counters "mirrored" by the top "M" (seen - NOS M98xxxx)
I repeat myself: the above is the result of personal research.... therefore it is not law.

I hope it can be useful....

N.B.: one dial was left “out” of the cataloging as it has only been seen twice (not live), both dating back to 2009/2010. The owner of one of the 2 (a serial high V) declared that he had collected it in person from an official dealer... few however to include it in the Mk.
If others emerge, it will be a reason for an update.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1-2-3.jpg (203.2 KB, 1031 views)
File Type: jpg 4-5.jpg (272.0 KB, 1026 views)
File Type: jpg 6.jpg (201.2 KB, 1035 views)
File Type: jpg 7.jpg (216.5 KB, 1026 views)
File Type: jpg 8.jpg (231.7 KB, 1030 views)
DavideV67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2023, 10:57 AM   #2
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116520
Very interesting. Gracie!
Here is a complementary information

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=652404
168000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2023, 12:26 PM   #3
fabR
"TRF" Member

bel lavoro
bravo
sai nulla da che anno a che anno 116520 ha usato Singer dial invece che rolex?

thank you
fabR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2023, 03:24 PM   #4
huba01
"TRF" Member

Thanks for sharing
huba01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2023, 06:30 PM   #5
thegrandseirolexguy
"TRF" Member

You sir, are a gem for the serious collector.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thegrandseirolexguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2023, 06:33 PM   #6
Qiwijack
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Datejust
Nice Post.
Qiwijack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2023, 07:25 PM   #7
Moonwatcher
"TRF" Member

Veramente impressionante ed interessante Davide. Mi prenderò qualche oretta tranquillo per analizzare tutto. Grazie.
Moonwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2023, 08:11 PM   #8
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Seeing dials are still made in 3 different factories now all owned by Rolex, there always have been and always will be tiny variations to most all dials across the range. Same for bezel inserts and even watch hands as these hands are made by a third party. All this Mk stuff mainly exists in internet land, plus now some sellers hoping to extract more money from buyers with things like rare dial.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2023, 08:16 PM   #9
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Welcome! Nice work!
travisb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2023, 08:23 PM   #10
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Welcome to the forum, thanks for your hard work here
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2023, 08:58 PM   #11
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Grazie e benvenuto
Old 19 December 2023, 11:04 PM   #12
Joearch
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona + GMT BLNR
Super interesting. Great research and analysis. I have a later production white face 116520. Not sure which MK it is, but will take a look.
Joearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2023, 01:38 AM   #13
Chrispare
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona SS
Very interesting
Thanks
Chrispare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2023, 02:02 AM   #14
DavideV67
"TRF" Member

quadranti

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabR View Post
bel lavoro
bravo
sai nulla da che anno a che anno 116520 ha usato Singer dial invece che rolex?

thank you

Good morning
From memory I would say that towards the end of the 90s Rolex wanted all dial makers to use that of the maison instead of their own logo, signing them only with a number: 1 Stern - 2 Beyeler - 3 Singer). I understand that Singer still produces dials for Rolex
Old 20 December 2023, 02:26 AM   #15
fabR
"TRF" Member

anyway to understand if is a Singer dial without disassemble the all world?

i have 2011
Old 20 December 2023, 02:38 AM   #16
DavideV67
"TRF" Member

Singer

Below the photo of the dial I have entered the manufacturer. Rolex/B = Beyeler
Rolex/S = Singer
Singer are the 3 and the 6-6bis

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabR View Post
anyway to understand if is a Singer dial without disassemble the all world?

i have 2011
Old 20 December 2023, 02:42 AM   #17
fabR
"TRF" Member

uhmm, i ll figure it out

you are a genius bro!
Old 20 December 2023, 07:14 PM   #18
Chrispare
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona SS
Mine is a Mk6 number N18xx
Chrispare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2023, 08:01 PM   #19
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Cool man!

Nice diagrams.
Old 20 December 2023, 08:50 PM   #20
fooey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Quite a few now!
2007? White dial

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
fooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2023, 09:02 PM   #21
DavideV67
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fooey View Post
2007? White dial

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
Dial photo?
Old 20 December 2023, 09:29 PM   #22
"TRF" Member

I heard Rolex is not necessarily good as managing their FIFO in their manufacturing process. Would it be possible that a later model has a earlier mk dial and hands ? Like mk I or mk II
Old 20 December 2023, 09:33 PM   #23
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by 168000 View Post
I heard Rolex is not necessarily good as managing their FIFO in their manufacturing process. Would it be possible that a later model has a earlier mk dial and hands ? Like mk I or mk II
Read post 8 in the real world all this Mk stuff only exists in internet land, and Rolex uses whatever dials hands etc they have on hand for any Production run so no exact year.

ICom Pro3

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Old 20 December 2023, 09:43 PM   #24
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Read post 8 in the real world all this Mk stuff only exists in internet land, and Rolex uses whatever dials hands etc they have on hand for any Production run so no exact year.
Thanks I read it indeed.
But when they advertise the dial is chromalight, would they still sell the watch if in real it is superluminova ? Do you know when Rolex started to advertise the 116520 having chromalight?

Thanks 🙏
Old 20 December 2023, 09:44 PM   #25
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Thanks I read it indeed.
But when they advertise the dial is chromalight, would they still sell the watch if in real it is superluminova ? Do you know when Rolex started to advertise the 116520 having chromalight?

Thanks

It seemed to have occurred when the clasp update came for what it's worth.
Old 20 December 2023, 09:48 PM   #26
DavideV67
"TRF" Member

Superluminova - Chromalight

Quote:
Thanks I read it indeed.

Thanks 🙏

I saw the first Chromalights as early as May/June 2013 while the Superluminovas were (again from what I saw) offered until mid-2014
Old 20 December 2023, 10:15 PM   #27
DavideV67
"TRF" Member

Mk

Quote:
Possible.... and this is precisely why no Mk has a limited but long enough serial range. For example, the first 3 Mk were seen from 2000 to 2005, until stocks lasted. However, the spheres, a remnant of the 16520, had a shorter lifespan. In general terms, however, I would say that finding one of the first 3 Mk at a much later date (e.g. 2006) is synonymous with "tampering".
Old 20 December 2023, 10:15 PM   #28
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Thanks I read it indeed.

Thanks 🙏
Chromolight was first introduced in 2008 on the Rolex DSSD watch,and introduction to all models over a few years so no 100% exact date for most all models.Now the old Luminover was made by Nemoto a Japanese luminous paint maker now they moved a part of its factory to Switzerland in 1998 in Joint-ventured with RC-Tritec AG.This was to establish Luminova AG Switzerland for supplying Luminova to all the Swiss watch industry including Rolex and most all of the major brands.Later around 2001/2 the name was changed to super-luminover and many other names for basically the same product under the various brand made up names. But its mostly all basically the same paint with a slightly different colour pigments plus surface area.And now we have Chromolight which is more of a blue/green colour again depending on persons eyes and viewing condition, Chromolight is a Rolex trademark name now, but again this could be a special colour blend of luminous paint by Nemoto for Rolex, I would doubt if Rolex themselves would make the lume paint.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 20 December 2023, 10:36 PM   #29
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavideV67 View Post
Possible.... and this is precisely why no Mk has a limited but long enough serial range. For example, the first 3 Mk were seen from 2000 to 2005, until stocks lasted. However, the spheres, a remnant of the 16520, had a shorter lifespan. In general terms, however, I would say that finding one of the first 3 Mk at a much later date (e.g. 2006) is synonymous with "tampering".
Thanks !
Old 20 December 2023, 10:36 PM   #30
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Chromolight was first introduced in 2008 on the Rolex DSSD watch,and introduction to all models over a few years so no 100% exact date for most all models.Now the old Luminover was made by Nemoto a Japanese luminous paint maker now they moved a part of its factory to Switzerland in 1998 in Joint-ventured with RC-Tritec AG.This was to establish Luminova AG Switzerland for supplying Luminova to all the Swiss watch industry including Rolex and most all of the major brands.Later around 2001/2 the name was changed to super-luminover and many other names for basically the same product under the various brand made up names. But its mostly all basically the same paint with a slightly different colour pigments plus surface area.And now we have Chromolight which is more of a blue/green colour again depending on persons eyes and viewing condition, Chromolight is a Rolex trademark name now, but again this could be a special colour blend of luminous paint by Nemoto for Rolex, I would doubt if Rolex themselves would make the lume paint.
Thanks!