The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 5 September 2019, 08:38 AM   #1
imperio
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
Soldering broken watch feet on a Polar explorer dial?

I dropped a Polar 216570 off for servicing and just received a call 15 mins ago that one of the feet on the dial was broken and I essentially have 3 options:

1. Solder it back on, but there is a small risk of discoloration on the white face of the dial
2. Replace with a new dial. Safer method but I would probably have to source one myself as it is difficult for the watchmaker to source one (he did say he can try but chances of obtaining one is not high)
3. Leave as is, but a sudden movement (I assume a hard flick of the wrist) might unseat the dial, causing it to come into contact with the hour hand which would stop the hand from moving.

Thoughts on this, anyone? I've communicated that I would like to proceed with #1 as recommended and am praying that all goes well. I'm assuming that if it doesn't go well, I can send it off to RSC for a dial replacement? I was told to expect an update in a few days so I assume work isn't going to be carried out immediately... If this is a horrendously wrong choice I probably have time to call back.

I asked how the watch feet might have gotten broken and was told it might have been due to a hard impact to the watch. Which makes sense given there are a couple of small but noticeable dings near the crown guard area when I bought it.

Also, other folks have posted on this forum that this place I sent the watch to has a Rolex parts account/access to one - is a replacement dial hard to source if you have a Rolex parts account? Curious.
Old 5 September 2019, 08:50 AM   #2
MikeMc
"TRF" Member

Watch: own 18 watches
I wouldn’t solder as it is likely to cause discoloration. I would take it to someone else, because of his/her approach makes me question their competence. The store I managed is an authorized Rolex dealer and always has a Rolex trained watchmaker on staff, and a Rolex parts account. Best and most expensive solution is to send the dial to Rolex for an exchange. The indexes have a rivet that goes through the dial. If the rivet is in good shape, a talented watchmaker could rivet it back. The easiest and least expensive solution is to epoxy it back. Again it takes a good skill set to make it invisible. The lack of confidence, suggesting soldering and no parts account makes me want to run away from the current repair person.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
MikeMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2019, 09:00 AM   #3
imperio
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMc View Post
I wouldn’t solder as it is likely to cause discoloration. I would take it to someone else, because of his/her approach makes me question their competence. The store I managed is an authorized Rolex dealer and always has a Rolex trained watchmaker on staff, and a Rolex parts account. Best and most expensive solution is to send the dial to Rolex for an exchange. The indexes have a rivet that goes through the dial. If the rivet is in good shape, a talented watchmaker could rivet it back. The easiest and least expensive solution is to epoxy it back. Again it takes a good skill set to make it invisible. The lack of confidence, suggesting soldering and no parts account makes me want to run away from the current repair person.

Thanks for the reply MikeMc. Would it make sense to attempt the soldering and send to RSC if that doesn't work out?
Old 5 September 2019, 09:03 AM   #4
MikeMc
"TRF" Member

Watch: own 18 watches
Not in my opinion. I called our watch maker and confirmed that it wasn’t a good idea to solder.

MikeMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2019, 09:29 AM   #5
imperio
"TRF" Member

Just spoke with them again, it was a miscommunication - the broken foot was going to be laser welded back on, not soldered. They mentioned having successfully done this multiple times in the past, so I'll give this a go, since I'll have to send it off to RSC for a new dial anyway even if I choose to leave it as is.
Old 5 September 2019, 12:52 PM   #6
Ashton_Horologist
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680
There is no problem to laser weld watch feet back onto a dial. It doesn’t cause discolouration, as there is no heat with laser welding. It is a perfectly acceptable solution. In fact, soldering is also acceptable. When I worked as a watchmaker for Rolex Canada they would regularly weld dial feet back on.

No offence to MikeMC, but you need to fact check what you are saying before you give advice. The watch doesn’t need an index put back, it has broken dial feet. To completely discredit a watchmaker and tell the OP to ‘run away’ is the kind of problem with watch forums. Misinformation thinly cloaked as expert advice abounds.

OP, you will have no problem with laser welding if they are experienced at what they do.
Ashton_Horologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2019, 03:36 PM   #7
imperio
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashton_Horologist View Post
There is no problem to laser weld watch feet back onto a dial. It doesn’t cause discolouration, as there is no heat with laser welding. It is a perfectly acceptable solution. In fact, soldering is also acceptable. When I worked as a watchmaker for Rolex Canada they would regularly weld dial feet back on.

No offence to MikeMC, but you need to fact check what you are saying before you give advice. The watch doesn’t need an index put back, it has broken dial feet. To completely discredit a watchmaker and tell the OP to ‘run away’ is the kind of problem with watch forums. Misinformation thinly cloaked as expert advice abounds.

OP, you will have no problem with laser welding if they are experienced at what they do.
Thanks for the reassurance!
Old 5 September 2019, 10:37 PM   #8
Futuristic
Banned

Don’t think it’s a good idea
Futuristic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2019, 10:50 PM   #9
michaelodonnell123
Banned

Watch: Panerai 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuristic View Post
Don’t think it’s a good idea
But it is.
michaelodonnell123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2019, 10:53 PM   #10
MorningTundra
"TRF" Member

Repairing dial feet with low temp solder is a pretty routine procedure these days.

https://youtu.be/NDT6K_Csvd0

The alternative for the truly paranoid is dial dots (little stickies).

... you should discount much of the advice from internet-randos, including me. Do Some googling and speak to a few pro watchmakers.

Sent from my cracked, broken hand wound phone. IG @morning_tundra
MorningTundra is offline   Reply With Quote