The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 14 November 2018, 12:10 PM   #61
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

From what I have seen, stickers on a new LVc is worth $500. DavidSW has a perfect example of what meaningless factory items are worth between two identical new watches.

https://davidsw.com/product-category/rolex/submariner/
Old 14 November 2018, 12:45 PM   #62
Pauln
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
From what I have seen, stickers on a new LVc is worth $500. DavidSW has a perfect example of what meaningless factory items are worth between two identical new watches.

But I don’t believe the OP planned on leaving the stickers on. He’s gonna wear the watch. A watch with stickers is unworn. Thus the value is higher. A hang tag is a whole different story.
Old 14 November 2018, 12:50 PM   #63
denmanproject
"TRF" Member

It’s odd that this is not consistent with all AD’s, I have dealt with many and some keep them as part of their policy, others give them out and don’t seem to care or make a big deal about it

Doesn’t turn me off from a purchase at all but does affect resale (slightly)
Old 14 November 2018, 12:58 PM   #64
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
You must have the hang tag!
Old 14 November 2018, 12:59 PM   #65
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauln View Post
But I don’t believe the OP planned on leaving the stickers on. He’s gonna wear the watch. A watch with stickers is unworn. Thus the value is higher. A hang tag is a whole different story.
Both LVc watches sold by DavidSW are brand new with one having the stickers removed by the dealer and one was not. It was a $500 value even though both are new and both were never sized. Crazy.
Old 14 November 2018, 01:07 PM   #66
WatchLurv
Banned

Watch: Swiss
Quote:
Originally Posted by denmanproject View Post
It’s odd that this is not consistent with all AD’s, I have dealt with many and some keep them as part of their policy, others give them out and don’t seem to care or make a big deal about it

Doesn’t turn me off from a purchase at all but does affect resale (slightly)
If you complain to Rolex they will tell the dealer to pass you the hang tag. It's part of the package. It's the same as not giving you the booklets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALF61 View Post
It is no good. The original white hangtag has the watch´s serial number. My AD normally keeps them stamped to the invoice for his records and I had to fight like hell to get mine.
I second this...Heard about it as well.
Old 14 November 2018, 05:25 PM   #67
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchLurv View Post
If you complain to Rolex they will tell the dealer to pass you the hang tag. It's part of the package. It's the same as not giving you the booklets.

No it's not the same as not giving you the booklets lol, it's a piece of cheap plastic that has a sticker on it with a barcode, many dealers and customers toss them. I hope folks are not getting hangtags confused with the COSC Hologram Chronometer Hang Tag (burgundy or green) which is part of the set. I'm gonna find a hangtag and burn it just for this thread.
Old 14 November 2018, 10:52 PM   #68
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bman36 View Post
about to buy an Explorer II from a trusted seller. it's a complete set except for the hang tag with the serial number. How big of deal is not having the one tag.

Did you get the Expl. II from that seller or pass?

The tag, or lack of that tag, wouldn’t play a role for me. Unless you’re concerned about the future flipping price...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
Old 14 November 2018, 11:01 PM   #69
LazySumday
"TRF" Member

This threads is why we are called WIS’s!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 15 November 2018, 12:24 AM   #70
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bman36 View Post
about to buy an Explorer II from a trusted seller. it's a complete set except for the hang tag with the serial number. How big of deal is not having the one tag.
Did you end up buying the watch? Or were you looking for a new white hangtag to wear!?
Old 15 November 2018, 02:59 AM   #71
Johny
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub 16610Lv
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALF61 View Post
It is no good. The original white hangtag has the watch´s serial number. My AD normally keeps them stamped to the invoice for his records and I had to fight like hell to get mine.
Hi

Yes I know.

Please see my posts numbers 37 and 39.
Old 15 November 2018, 03:37 AM   #72
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

No big deal. I've bought watches from ADs that have been missing little things like this in the past. One was missing a bezel protector, the other was missing one of the booklets. It really isn't a big deal. Only us fanatics fret over this stuff.
Old 15 November 2018, 05:46 AM   #73
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Both LVc watches sold by DavidSW are brand new with one having the stickers removed by the dealer and one was not. It was a $500 value even though both are new and both were never sized. Crazy.
Perhaps in your eyes, not in mine. I insist on a new watch being stickered, without I would not buy. Whats 500 on a new watch anyway ?
Not to resell but I just want to peel them off in the comfort of my home, resize the bracelet, set the time and ready to wear.
Old 15 November 2018, 05:51 AM   #74
Jonnyj
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster 2
Not a big deal ! Wouldn’t loose any sleep over it
Old 15 November 2018, 07:09 AM   #75
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
Hang tag with the serial number is withheld by certain ADs. I was refused to keep mine because "if Rolex were to find out they could be in serious trouble".
Old 15 November 2018, 10:10 AM   #76
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
It wouldn't deter me from buying but that's a good reason to negotiate because technically it's not a complete set. You can't replace it being it has the serial number on it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 15 November 2018, 10:13 AM   #77
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
Quote:

Well to me the hang tag is worth a lot more than stickers that will sooner rather than later be removed and thrown into the trash anyway. The hang tag belongs to the watch and is part of the full set. The stickers are not.

By the way, do none of the watches that davidsw is selling actually come with the hang tag?
Old 15 November 2018, 10:16 AM   #78
Seibei
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicLeChic View Post
Hang tag with the serial number is withheld by certain ADs. I was refused to keep mine because "if Rolex were to find out they could be in serious trouble".
I think these certain ADs just use these hang tags for bookkeeping purposes and they are too lazy to change their procedures to accommodate customers who wish to receive the full set when they buy a Rolex watch. There is nothing about this hang tag in the memo from Rolex mentioned here:

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=639697
Old 15 November 2018, 10:23 AM   #79
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seibei View Post
Well to me the hang tag is worth a lot more than stickers that will sooner rather than later be removed and thrown into the trash anyway. The hang tag belongs to the watch and is part of the full set. The stickers are not.

By the way, do none of the watches that davidsw is selling actually come with the hang tag?
All of the ones I just bought from him came with them. All mine were “new” so perhaps some preowned might not come with the white tags.
Old 15 November 2018, 10:27 AM   #80
Seibei
Banned

Quote:
All of the ones I just bought from him came with them. All mine were “new” so perhaps some preowned might not come with the white tags.
Well done, Sir!
Old 15 November 2018, 10:59 AM   #81
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikrnic View Post
It wouldn't deter me from buying but that's a good reason to negotiate because technically it's not a complete set. You can't replace it being it has the serial number on it.

Hey Nik, you seem to have the inside track here. So, the next time I buy a set that is missing the green hang tag, how much is that worth for me in negotiating a lower price? $10, $50, $100 etc...how much? Thanks.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
Old 15 November 2018, 11:16 AM   #82
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Hey Nik, you seem to have the inside track here. So, the next time I buy a set that is missing the green hang tag, how much is that worth for me in negotiating a lower price? $10, $50, $100 etc...how much? Thanks.
Probably $0 unless you find somebody that really wants that tag.
Old 15 November 2018, 12:20 PM   #83
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Hey springer, l don't know about an inside track or to know any more than anyone and like l said it wouldn't deter me but at least it's a bargaining chip for a buyer. I know if l was buying the example as per David l would rather have 500. in my pocket than the tag.

Old 15 November 2018, 12:27 PM   #84
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikrnic View Post
Hey springer, l don't know about an inside track or to know any more than anyone and like l said it wouldn't deter me but at least it's a bargaining chip for a buyer. I know if l was buying the example as per David l would rather have 500. in my pocket than the tag.
On modern watches, expect that bargaining chip to be worth $0. No one is going to budge $500 for the lack of a serial hang tag.
Old 15 November 2018, 12:31 PM   #85
WatchLurv
Banned

Watch: Swiss
Quote:
Originally Posted by VicLeChic View Post
That's what they say, but if you asked Rolex they would tell them to give that to them. The hang tag is used for their own purpose.
Old 15 November 2018, 02:15 PM   #86
Seibei
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchLurv View Post
That's what they say, but if you asked Rolex they would tell them to give that to them. The hang tag is used for their own purpose.
What purpose is that, and why do the sometimes seem to have to have it and sometimes not? I struggle to believe that Rolex needs that tag for anything.

Regarding negotiation, if the watch was new I suppose a discount of around $500 would be in order of it does not come with a full set. As the watch get's older and full sets become rarer, then that figure would go up. For a 30 year old watch the difference between a complete set and a set that is missing items will certainly be thousands of $.
Old 15 November 2018, 03:15 PM   #87
77T

Huh?

Last time I looked at important auction results I didn’t see any big differences for a missing tag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
Old 15 November 2018, 03:31 PM   #88
hambone1983
2024 Pledge Member

no prob, you can buy "genuine" and "collectible" hang tags on ebay.
Old 15 November 2018, 04:15 PM   #89
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
[QUOTE=77T;9092796]Huh?

Last time I looked at important auction results I didn’t see any big differences for a missing tag.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

You didn't see a difference in price because there is no difference in pricing for a missing tag. Anyone that thinks there is a price difference for a missing green hang tag is speculating.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
Old 15 November 2018, 05:02 PM   #90
Seibei
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambone1983 View Post
no prob, you can buy "genuine" and "collectible" hang tags on ebay.
You can't buy the hang tag that comes with your watch and has the serial number of your watch on it on ebay.

Can someone knowledgeable chime in with information on when Rolex started issuing the hang tags with the watch serial number on them? We are not talking about the other generic hang tag. The serial numbered hag tags may be fairly recent, so auction results of watches that did not come with this hang tag in the first place are irrelevant.
Closed Thread