The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 November 2018, 03:43 PM   #31
rominvicta
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD, BLNR, SM, GM
IWC is a total recall for me. I did the same. Nice brand, good hunches here and there but once bought you may never sell it even for half of the price paid!
rominvicta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2018, 05:13 PM   #32
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
I would sell the bottom three , take your losses, and try to get an EXP II instead. After that fourth Rolex purchase, I would either flip one of the subs or save up more in the future and move to other brands such as AP or PP or ALS if you want to go dressier. I would flip the SS sub for a Royal Oak. As you experienced with the other brands value retention is not very high so go higher end with popular pieces that you love, of course buy what you love in any brand and nothing else should matter.
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2018, 05:19 PM   #33
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rominvicta View Post
IWC is a total recall for me. I did the same. Nice brand, good hunches here and there but once bought you may never sell it even for half of the price paid!
That's why you go to these boutiques for brands like Blancpain, IWC, and Panerai and they push so hard to buy and offer big discounts or incentives, even if you get a screaming deal your gonna lose if you decide to sell one day. Blancpain dealer once said pick out any piece you want and name the discount and it's yours, I know he would have given me at least 35-40% off right off the bat maybe closer to 50 on higher end pieces. Sounded like a great deal until I realized I didn't really want a Blancpain and was just chasing the deal. Even with the discount I would have never recuperated the money or come close if I want to sell it.
Old 14 November 2018, 05:26 PM   #34
rich_harris
"TRF" Member

Regrets. Regrets. Regrets.

I regret purchasing my Panerai. Although I love the brand and they are beautiful watches they just don’t suit my character. I am more of a sports/tool watch kind of guy and should have stuck with my love -Rolex and Tudor.

I don’t wear the watch and I know I will loose money on it. It was a bit of an impulse buy but will probably have to accept the loss if I want to use the money from that watch to buy something I know will suit me better.

I love and hate this very addictive hobby!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rich_harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2018, 05:33 PM   #35
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_harris View Post
I regret purchasing my Panerai. Although I love the brand and they are beautiful watches they just don’t suit my character. I am more of a sports/tool watch kind of guy and should have stuck with my love -Rolex and Tudor.

I don’t wear the watch and I know I will loose money on it. It was a bit of an impulse buy but will probably have to accept the loss if I want to use the money from that watch to buy something I know will suit me better.

I love and hate this very addictive hobby!

I like Panerai as well and have been tempted a few times, totally understand where your coming from. I enjoy looking at them, visiting ADs, learning about heritage and history, etc. As much as I love them I would rather have my "true" loves so I tried very hard to avoid the brand. I also did notice Panerai is an impulse purchase for many, especially overseas or during travels. I almost bought them from folks that purchased one or many Panerai's and I can tell they just wanted to get rid of them due to impulse buys. It is a fun hobby but sometimes you gotta take your losses and move on and learn from the experience! Love/Hate relationship
Old 14 November 2018, 05:34 PM   #36
Alex6340
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, PP 5167

If you bought the Speedy Tuesday at retail you can sell it for a premium.

I would keep the Portuguese if you don’t need funds. It’s a beautiful watch and it’s the only “dress” watch you have.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
Old 14 November 2018, 05:35 PM   #37
kinyik
"TRF" Member

Wearing the ck on a bracelet really transformed things for me.

kinyik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2018, 05:38 PM   #38
NeoAnderson
"TRF" Member

Its all learning
NeoAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2018, 06:04 PM   #39
sutats
"TRF" Member

Icon7

Think of it like dating, you go out for a date or two and you realise that your date is not interesting after all and you both move on. It's all part of the the process of life.
Post Your Rolex/Tudor Watch Weight (PYRTWW)
sutats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2018, 06:08 PM   #40
aleeboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: N/A
I think most IWC owners would feel the same way

I recommend you sell them to someone else who could at least wear them.
aleeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2018, 08:54 PM   #41
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

I think all three compliment your collection very nicely! Plus they’re really sought after
Watches aren’t investment, and you could’ve lost more of you had put the same amount in the stock market. At least you got some joy out of the watches!
Old 14 November 2018, 08:58 PM   #42
greeneyedguy
Banned

When first getting In to watches that's easy to do. My first swiss watch was a Tag twin time with the anthracite dial. I remembering how amazing I thought it was when I first got it. Hahaha. I now just keep it as a dress watch when I wear long sleeves.
greeneyedguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2018, 09:24 PM   #43
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
You would never know you didn't like those watches from research. It wouldn't matter if you researched for years, nothing compares to spending a few days with a watch on your wrist. You live and learn.
The only thing I've learned from buying and selling so many is that now I made a rule.

I only buy to keep, so it takes a lot for me to commit to a watch now because there is no turning back. I am no "collector", I just enjoy mechanical watches. I have realized from being on this forum that they are all nice, they are all beautiful and they are all stunning, but I realize that this is from looking at them on peoples wrists, as such I have decided to just admire and enjoy watches by enjoying them here or during GTGs.

I love my Deepsea and I patiently wait for the next purchase without any compulsion or impulse based on whatever may be going on with a watch in social media.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2018, 09:49 PM   #44
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
A watch collecting lesson has been learned. It took me awhile for situations like this to sink in but I finally got it. As for the money which might be lost with a trade or sale look at it as if you paid for a lesson or course in school. The knowledge you gained is worth it in my opinion. I would not and do not keep watches that are not special to me and that I do not wear. Sell these watches and get a watch(s) that appeal to you. Buy as right as possible and wear them.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2018, 09:52 PM   #45
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
It’s funny, but I had this conversation with my AD just the other day. There are so many great brands out there and som much variety ... but in the end, I keep coming back to Rolex.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2018, 10:00 PM   #46
GSBC
"TRF" Member

All part of the journey...
I learned from a collector friend long ago to not take the hobby too seriously, and if it really bothers you, put it away for a while and not look at it. Bring it back out after some time has passed and if you still feel the same way, let it go and allow someone else to enjoy. Always look forward and not look back, because the hobby should be fun.
GSBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2018, 10:43 PM   #47
DP63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18078
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvldari View Post
i've found that sometimes you can't figure out that a watch is or is not a good fit until you have worn it and lived with it for a while...
+1
Old 14 November 2018, 10:51 PM   #48
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
No matter how much research you do, you never know for sure what's going to stick until you try. And even then tastes are subject to change. I have sold a few watches myself and taken a hit. In one case it took me 4 years to realise it wasn't for me, it looked beautiful but the watch was wearing me and I was in denial.

Great collection.
VicLeChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2018, 10:57 PM   #49
DP63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18078
Quote:
Originally Posted by myporsche View Post
I like Panerai as well and have been tempted a few times, totally understand where your coming from. I enjoy looking at them, visiting ADs, learning about heritage and history, etc. As much as I love them I would rather have my "true" loves so I tried very hard to avoid the brand. I also did notice Panerai is an impulse purchase for many, especially overseas or during travels. I almost bought them from folks that purchased one or many Panerai's and I can tell they just wanted to get rid of them due to impulse buys. It is a fun hobby but sometimes you gotta take your losses and move on and learn from the experience! Love/Hate relationship
I took a big hit on my PAM and it hurt at the time ... however .. I'm glad I did move it on in the end and the gut punch at the time passed very quickly. I dont actually miss it one bit and its like a weight off of my shoulders that I moved it before it dropped more than I experianced.

I'm happy that the watches I have are all watches I'm happy to look down on my wrist and see without any remorse or second thoughts.

Definately a live and learn hobby.

Edit:

I forgot to mention I agree with the impulse buy comment for PAM's, in most cases, as they do have a very active following. I remember when Bell & Ross were purchased by guys in my industry during long connections in airports out of boredom and subsequently offered up for sale within a year of ownership once they established that they never really hankered for the BR in the first place. There were a few VERY cheap BR01's kicking around my group of friends for a while.
Old 14 November 2018, 11:11 PM   #50
LazySumday
"TRF" Member

I would sell the ones you no longer like and purchase your next Rolex (I take it) pre owned. Pull the bandaid add quickly and chalk it up to your “hobby” and experience. We all lose money in watches in the hobby at some point or another.

LazySumday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2018, 11:30 PM   #51
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Been there and completely understand

I have sold pieces and moved on. I take more time to decide on what I buy and I am far happier with my collection.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2018, 11:35 PM   #52
peterskinner
"TRF" Member

You can't have a hobby without making mistakes; it's part of the process. Thing is, if you hang on to the 'mistakes',the day may come when you like them again. That's another part of the learning curve!
They seem nice watches. Good not to just have Rolex.
peterskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2018, 12:17 AM   #53
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Life is too short for regrets. Especially about watches.
watchwatcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2018, 12:33 AM   #54
Jonesy2099
"TRF" Member

I almost made a very similar mistake when I first got into watches. I bought the Seamaster 300 'Spectre' edition 3 years ago for all the wrong reasons. Luckily I know a lot about watches now and I love the Seamaster as it happens now for all the right reasons! But if you start spending money on luxury watches too quickly I can see how you might have regrets. I also like both your Omegas OP but can totally appreciate that they don't resonate with you.
Jonesy2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2018, 12:50 AM   #55
superpop
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 and SS SkyD
Any watch regardless of brand will eventually fall in value. Seems like a lot of folks on this board think their mass produced steel Rolex is an investment. Maybe it is right now but this fad will fade and even a steel Rolex will be worth less than MSRP. Buy the watch you like and assume that it will drop in value unless you buy used for a really good price. Even then assume it will drop in value. For the masses that buy watches they are a fashion statement that changes pretty rapidly. I typically have 2 watches that I wear, one for dress one for everyday. I happen to like Breitling right now but I have no illusion about the value of these watches. Keep what you like and wear and dump the rest.
superpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2018, 12:53 AM   #56
xspect
"TRF" Member

Last year I sold about 7 watches I just never bonded with. Some I lost money with some a made a profit with. I really focused my collection. Now I have watches I love to wear.

xspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2018, 01:32 AM   #57
carfanatic991
"TRF" Member

Recently did a purge too, sold all my non Rolex(Omega, Tag, Breitling, Tudor and non diver Rolex(EXP I & DJ) and now only have Rolex diver(16610/16613/16610LV) in my collection and one omega(speedy date - first lux watch for me and serving as my daily office wear).

So yeah, get rid of what your not happy with and move on. And then use the cash to get more Rolex. You’ll be so elated with the new watch that it’ll take the sting away for the loss you just took from selling the unwanted watches. It’s part of the hobby and enjoyment.
carfanatic991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2018, 01:43 AM   #58
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
Quote:
Originally Posted by nektar View Post
Better to regret, than do nothing!

Old 15 November 2018, 02:03 AM   #59
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
It's a journey, no fun if you reach climax all at once, take your time, enjoy the ride.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2018, 02:22 AM   #60
Hands90
"TRF" Member

Buyers remorse is a true and horrible 1st world issue.
I sold Rolexes and made money bought a Nomos and nearly lost all the profits I've ever made selling watches.

That said your taste is incredible. Lock the Speedy T and CK2998 away as an investment. The Speedy T is one of the most scalped watches but it might be worth a lot more down the line.

You have an amazing collection. Take a minute to realize you have great taste.
Hands90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
decisions , that's life