The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 31 May 2011, 04:05 PM   #1
ProfEd
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680 Sub,16710 gmt
Please help! PO Chrono - real??

Hi,
I am considering taking a watch (~2009 Omega Planet Ocean Chrono, pictured below) on trade, and I am scared to death of the PO fakes out there. I tried it on and it feels well made. I am a Rolex guy and have no experience with Omega so I don't know what to look for. I snapped a quick pic with my cellphone, but it's not the best quality. It will come with box, papers, etc. No steel band, just the rubber one. Anyway, the guy seems really nice and knowledgeable, but you just never know with all the fakes out there. Is the helium valve in the correct place? What about the numbers/writing?

Thanks a million!
Ed

ProfEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2011, 08:05 PM   #2
poppydog
Banned

Watch: Rolex Seadweller
I may be wrong, but I don't think Omega ever made an orange rubber strap like that; only the black, that I'm aware of. As for the watch itself, I can't shed any light. Sorry and good luck.
poppydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2011, 08:36 PM   #3
esm
"TRF" Member

Watch: this, bro...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfEd View Post

judging my the pix from the Omega website, i think it is quite safe to assume that the PO Chrono in the OP is a fake...

the HV location
Chrono pushers
bezel insert and dial font
the minute markers
applied Omega logo

i'd walk away.... actually, no.... RUN
esm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2011, 08:49 PM   #4
Jonathan007
"TRF" Member

Watch: #296
It looks too Orange in colour to me, especially the Bezel???
Old 31 May 2011, 09:21 PM   #5
Ultraman
"TRF" Member

The HE value is in the wrong position.
Ultraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2011, 09:30 PM   #6
SUPERDOC
"TRF" Member

Yeah, I would most definitely say Fake - the He valve is a dead giveaway,

but even without a picture of the Genuine Watch put side by side, it looks fake anyway...

The cluttering of the writing on the dial, the '12' almost kissing the 12 o'clock marker...

do not take this watch!
SUPERDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2011, 11:27 PM   #7
bcacncnc
"TRF" Member

Looks fake to me.
Grand Seiko
bcacncnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2011, 11:41 PM   #8
rolexertion

Bo-gus. Sorry.
rolexertion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2011, 12:23 AM   #9
ProfEd
"TRF" Member

Now the owner is concerned. He may have another Omega to offer me. Can you guys check back later today to look at another pic of a different Omega? I feel like the guy I'm dealing with is not trying to pull anything....I know, I know.
Thanks again, I truly appreciate it, and I will not take this watch.

-Ed
Old 1 June 2011, 12:57 AM   #10
dsio
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub 1680 '79
Quote:
Now the owner is concerned. He may have another Omega to offer me. Can you guys check back later today to look at another pic of a different Omega? I feel like the guy I'm dealing with is not trying to pull anything....I know, I know.

-Ed
If the guy knows his stuff, and owns multiple Omegas, he would have to be extremely dense to truly believe that was real, seriously. You're playing with fire here, please don't get burned.
-- Rolex Submariner 1680 "Ghost" '79 --
-- Rolex SS Daytona 116520 '04 --
dsio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2011, 01:31 AM   #11
ProfEd
"TRF" Member

He also offered these two as a partial trade:

Thoughts? I sincerely appreciate all of your time in looking at these for me. I would love to have an Omega, and this guy has several he could offer as a partial trade. Thanks!

-Ed
Old 1 June 2011, 01:49 AM   #12
dsio
"TRF" Member

Quote:
He also offered these two as a partial trade:

Thoughts? I sincerely appreciate all of your time in looking at these for me. I would love to have an Omega, and this guy has several he could offer as a partial trade. Thanks!

-Ed
Ed, those two look legit, the first is a 2531.80.00 the second is a 2599.80.00, both were in production from '93 through to around the mid 2000s. Make sure you get them checked out by a watchmaker or at the very least check their timing. Servicing will likely be needed on both, which reduces their value.

I'd put a trade value of $800-$1100 on the 2531.80.00 based on its condition, and $1250-$1600 on the 2599.80, if they're keeping time well, go for the upper value, if they're not, go for the lower. At their age they should still be very close to COSC specs, both are chronometer rated and extremely accurate (my SMP chronograph is +2/day after 4 years constantly).

Make sure you get the full bracelets, and be sure that you get the Half-Links. You need the half links to size correctly as they don't have micro adjust, if he doesn't have the half-links, take money off.
Old 1 June 2011, 01:53 AM   #13
dsio
"TRF" Member

BTW:

Rolex 1680 Sub and a Seamaster Chrono is a nice combination, now you just need the Pie-Pan :)

Old 1 June 2011, 02:46 AM   #14
ProfEd
"TRF" Member

Unfortunately I am selling the 1680. I was planning on taking one of these Omegas plus some cash for the 1969 Sub 1680. I don't really want to sell it, but I need some cash and I need a watch I can wear in the ocean without worrying about ruining it. Based on the values and info provided here I will likely sell it outright and forego a trade. Ultimately, my plan is to save a little coin over the next month or two and buy a two tone Sub.

Thanks for all the help!
Ed
Old 1 June 2011, 02:52 AM   #15
dsio
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Unfortunately I am selling the 1680. I was planning on taking one of these Omegas plus some cash for the 1969 Sub 1680. I don't really want to sell it, but I need some cash and I need a watch I can wear in the ocean without worrying about ruining it. Based on the values and info provided here I will likely sell it outright and forego a trade. Ultimately, my plan is to save a little coin over the next month or two and buy a two tone Sub.

Thanks for all the help!
Ed
Wonderful thing about cash, less concern about it being made in Taiwan ;)
Old 1 June 2011, 02:57 AM   #16
SgtInArms

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio View Post
Ed, those two look legit, the first is a 2531.80.00 the second is a 2599.80.00, both were in production from '93 through to around the mid 2000s. Make sure you get them checked out by a watchmaker or at the very least check their timing. Servicing will likely be needed on both, which reduces their value.

I'd put a trade value of $800-$1100 on the 2531.80.00 based on its condition, and $1250-$1600 on the 2599.80, if they're keeping time well, go for the upper value, if they're not, go for the lower. At their age they should still be very close to COSC specs, both are chronometer rated and extremely accurate (my SMP chronograph is +2/day after 4 years constantly).

Make sure you get the full bracelets, and be sure that you get the Half-Links. You need the half links to size correctly as they don't have micro adjust, if he doesn't have the half-links, take money off.
The first one isn't the 2531.80 its the 2541.80 quartz model.
SgtInArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2011, 02:59 AM   #17
dsio
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtInArms View Post
The first one isn't the 2531.80 its the 2541.80 quartz model.
I stand corrected, didn't notice the lack of chronometer on the dial first look, was more looking for signs of it being a fake, nice pickup.
Old 1 June 2011, 04:00 AM   #18
rolexertion

Quote:

-Ed
This needs to stop. You already know the guy is a ripoff artist trying to palm off a fake on you. Why are you still trying to deal with him on any level?? What part of, he's trying to con you, are you not getting? Why are you continuing to involve US in this thief's 'business'? Run away and forget it.
rolexertion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2011, 04:32 AM   #19
ProfEd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexertion View Post
This needs to stop. You already know the guy is a ripoff artist trying to palm off a fake on you. Why are you still trying to deal with him on any level?? What part of, he's trying to con you, are you not getting? Why are you continuing to involve US in this thief's 'business'? Run away and forget it.

I would tend to agree, but what explains the two "real" ones he is offering? He is totally shocked by this, and said he will not be selling it to anyone. I honestly think he was duped. Maybe I am just gullible. He is offering either of the other two watches plus cash, or just cash. I am planning on taking cash for the watch I am selling and just forget about a trade. I do appreciate all of the help and advice though.

Thanks again!
Ed
Old 1 June 2011, 04:01 PM   #20
sharpq
Banned

Watch: What day is it?
45 mm chrono

I've pulled out my 45.5mm chronograph PO and checked it to your pics (mine being AD authentic to my knowledge). The helium valve is out of place, so is both pushers for the chronograph functions. The helium should be even w/ the 5 in the "50" marker. The first pusher for chrono timing should be just slightly lower than the "2 o'clock" marker. The reset pusher should be just slightly above the "4 o'clock" marker. My opinion, if he's stating it is a 45.5mm Omega Chronograph, it's fake. The pusher's and helium valve are all wrong and I don't think Omega's tolerances are that off! :)

Edit: To a previous poster's comments, I concur, the writing is all off and too close per line!!! Definitely a fake, if saying it's a 45.5 chrono PO. I would bet we could find a lot of inconsistencies on the caseback, also.

Todd
sharpq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2011, 12:26 AM   #21
Mikel212
"TRF" Member

ProfEd,
Funny thing about Con-men, they gain our confidence. If the second watch is also a fake, why would you even continue to deal with him. Sure, its cash now, but can you trust this guy? Personally, I wouldnt meet him face-to-face in fear of a baseball bat to my face. How are you getting the funds? Is it from Paypal, well.. there are cons using Paypal where you "think" you received the payment and mail the merchandise then find out how a "charge-back" works.

Just remember "CON MAN". You can find another buyer for your 1680. If he is paying top $$$$, use your brain. If his collection are fake watches, why would he pay top $$$$ for any watch. He's playing into your greed. The Seamaster is a quartz, its worth even less. You can find one on ebay for $400. So his collection is: 2 fakes and 1 quartz, and now hes paying top dollars for a 1680. Anything seem fishy to you?

Take the advice that you are given from other members here and walk away. Honestly, I'm quite surprise how strangers are so concern about you. If you deal with this guy and get taken, I personally think you deserve it.
Mikel212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2011, 12:39 AM   #22
RLXSTR
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub5513 / Choc1675
This is the real deal and it is mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg omegapo.jpg (272.3 KB, 71 views)