The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 30 July 2021, 03:39 PM   #1
jw72
"TRF" Member

Watch: Only Rolex
Rail Dial

Hello,
Still searching for vintage Sea Dweller. I found a 1978 and the seller said it is very special because it has a "Rail Dial”. I understand the dial was only made a few years, 77-79. I look at other dials the same years the C’s do not line up like the ones the seller has.
my question:Is a Rail Dial really worth more? Why do most of the 78 and 79 models for sale is see lack the Rail Dial?
Thank you,
JW
I added a description if the Rail Dial: Rolex Sea-Dweller 1665, Between 1977 and 1979, the ref. 1665 could be found with a unique characteristic that involved the ‘Superlative Chronometer’ and ‘Officially Certified’ lines of text that appear above the six o’clock hour marker.

You will notice that the ‘C’ in both ‘Chronometer’ and ‘Certified’ line up almost perfectly. Take a look at the Tritium dial below for comparison and you’ll notice they’re not in line at all. They are almost parallel on this dial (kind of like the rails on a train track), hence the ‘Rail Dial’ nickname.
Here are all the differences between the rail and regular dial in case anyone wanted to know.

1. The "C" of Chronometer lines up with the "C" of Certified of the line below.

2. Secondly the font of the depth markings are always in italics

3. The hour markers (tritium dots) are closer to the minute track than the regular dial

4. The only version of the SD dials where is marked "T SWISS T <25", including COMEX 1665

5. Longer minute markers.

6. Serial 5.7mil to 6.2 mil.

Information found on doubleredseadweller.com

Last edited by jw72; 30 July 2021 at 04:00 PM.. Reason: spelling
jw72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2021, 04:19 PM   #2
swaini3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT, DRSD
Yes, rail dials are more expensive / collectable. Years and serial numbers are not concrete and there are overlaps. Also note the dials are made by different suppliers, hence the slight differences. Point no. 2 is on other dials as well.
Buy "condition" and what you like.
swaini3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2021, 10:25 PM   #3
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

It is of course useful to categorize and identify dial variations for historical reasons and to help identify watches that have original parts. And perhaps it is logical that a dial variation that is visually different and interesting would sell for a premium, like a Maxi dial, a dial with a red depth rating, or a 1675 radial dial, However, I would personally have a hard time paying a premium for a dial variation that has absolutely nothing special about it.
Old 31 July 2021, 12:27 AM   #4
baumare
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 1675/8
While I appreciate the Rail Dial on the Explorer 16550, the rail writing on the 1665 doesn't have the same effect on me.
With that said, if the condition of the watch are good and you like the price, why not, still an "uncommon" version of the already beautiful 1665...
baumare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2021, 12:56 AM   #5
Haywood_Milton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Military issue Sub
The rail dial version of the Great White 1665 may enjoy something of a halo-effect from the famous dial fitted to most of the Comex 1665s :

The large "comex" graphic is not the only point of difference between the civilian and Comex dials, though....

Insta : haywood_milton_rolex
*Comex:5513,5514,1665x2,16800x2,16600 *Mil sub:5517x2,5513x9,5512 *Submariner:6536/1x2,5508,5513 PCG u/line & double SWISS (America's Cup),5513 giltx2, 5513 m-firstx2,5513 gloss WGx2,1680 Red,1680 White Mk1 & Mk2 *Sea-Dweller:1665 DRSDx3,Great Whitex3 *GMT-Master:6542x2 (1 Bakelite),1675x8 (2 gilt), 16750 & SeaKing 116710LN *Explorer:1016x6 (1 gilt),5500x3,14270 Blackout, Orange 1655 x4 *Milgauss 1019x3 *Cosmo 6263 *RNCD DSSD 116660.
Haywood_Milton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2021, 03:44 AM   #6
saxo3
"TRF" Member

Rail Dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
The rail dial version of the Great White 1665 may enjoy something of a halo-effect from the famous dial fitted to most of the Comex 1665s :

The large "comex" graphic is not the only point of difference between the civilian and Comex dials, though....

Insta : haywood_milton_rolex
Beautiful, both with 600 m!
saxo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2021, 07:17 AM   #7
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
It is of course useful to categorize and identify dial variations for historical reasons and to help identify watches that have original parts. And perhaps it is logical that a dial variation that is visually different and interesting would sell for a premium, like a Maxi dial, a dial with a red depth rating, or a 1675 radial dial, However, I would personally have a hard time paying a premium for a dial variation that has absolutely nothing special about it.
Well said, Dan. I find rail dials one of the most over-hyped details on any vintage Rolex dial (next to meters first), and I'd never pay a premium for one, unless the rest of the watch was so excellent I couldn't pass it up.

OP, how 'bout some photos of the SD you're considering?
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2021, 02:52 PM   #8
jw72
"TRF" Member

Watch: Only Rolex
Thank you all, those Comex dials are amazing. I think I am going to go for one, not pay up but interesting. For those who can not afford double red on the dial, me.
jw72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2021, 04:30 PM   #9
ILuvSubs
"TRF" Member

I personally like the uniqueness of the Rail Dial, its connection with the Comex 1665s (as well as its comparative affordability!) and how it had a relatively short production run. I also like the symmetry of how the SCOC lines up, which means you can always pick a Rail Dial out from other Great Whites at first glance. Different strokes for different folks.

If you think the Rail Dial appears over-priced compared to a standard Great White, you should check out the price of the Mark 0 1665 Great White that is listed on Tropical Watch at the moment (!).