The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watch Reviews (Non-Rolex)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 26 May 2020, 05:10 AM   #1
thesingularity7
"TRF" Member

Guinand HS100 - Helmut Sinn's 100th Birthday Tribute Watch

Greetings! I've spent the last 8 days with this absolutely gorgeous watch and I've quite admittedly fallen in love with this piece.

For those not familiar with Guinand Watches, they have been manufacturing watches in Switzerland/Germany since the mid 1800s, but were more famously known for their manufacturing of Sinn watches till the 90s, and for their partnership with Helmut Sinn. Helmut Sinn retired from Sinn and eventually purchased Guinand, until he finally retired in 2015 (I think?). This watch was made to commemorate his 100th birthday (in 2016).

I've written my complete thoughts on this watch here: https://www.beansandbezels.com/reviews/guinand-hs100/

And made a short video to show off the watch in 4k (please excuse my butchered pronunciation of all the Swiss / German / French names) - https://youtu.be/nbXAH3DErZ4

For those not interested in reading or watching videos, but just want to see pictures, here are some:

1. Wrist Shots on my 6.25" wrist. This should also serve as a measure for their Series 40 and Model 361 as well, since the case design and dimensions appear to be the same. The HS100 on paper appears to be slightly taller than the Series 40 and Model 361.

2. The dial is the most interesting part of this watch. It is incredibly easy to read because of the high contrast color choices. I noticed some uneven paint on the primary red timing hand, but I assume these are hand-painted and therefore not absolutely perfect. It isn't visible unless you take a loupe or macro lens to it. The rest of the dial is finished beautifully.

3. The polished stainless steel case is a bit of a fingerprint magnet, but it does add to the overall wrist presence. I'm very curious to know what this watch would have looked like if they used the bead-blasted case instead (like on the Starfighter Pilot).

4. Drilled through lugs might've been nice, but I don't see Guinand using them on any of their Chronographs and not on the Flight Engineer either.

Most impressive is the fact that this watch is roughly 4.5 years old, but is still keeping an accuracy of +2.5spd (averaged over a 5 day period) without service.

Thanks for looking
thesingularity7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chronograph , guinand , helmut , sinn , watches