The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 3 August 2021, 02:46 AM   #1
Andjwhite
"TRF" Member

HQ Milton 1675

Anyone have $28k lying around that they want to give me?

I don’t have the funds anyway, but wondering what the experts think on this example. I actually love it, but want to hear opinions from others and if you think it’s worth the $$!

https://www.hqmilton.com/timepieces/...e-papers-A4495
Andjwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2021, 03:01 AM   #2
330ci
"TRF" Member

Absolutely bonkers imo. Rare and in decent shape, but 28k is just ridiculous to spend on a non gilt 1675
330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2021, 03:05 AM   #3
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Is it easy to fix the gap between the lugs and endlink?
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2021, 03:59 AM   #4
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Submariner bracelet….worst gap between the lugs I’ve seen in a long time….price too high
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2021, 04:02 AM   #5
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post
Yes, by replacing the end-links. I have a feeling they may have been modified.
Old 3 August 2021, 04:03 AM   #6
ronricks
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610LV
Seems to me HQ Milton is just throwing insane prices on everything these days and seeing if anyone bites. They have a black dial Milgauss for 12,550 as an example. That's not even close to reality pricing on that model.
ronricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2021, 04:17 AM   #7
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Fabulous insert, but the rest of the watch looks average to my eyes, relative to the price, and the bracelet looks shot.

For that kind of money, I'd want a much crisper example all-around AND that insert.

And maybe I'm getting grumpy (er) the longer I'm in this hobby, but am I the only one bugged by the reference to "service papers" in the listing? Maybe minor, but that implies RSC papers, not the HQ Milton paperwork, which should be standard. I've bought a couple of watches from them through the years, and they always say they go over all their movements before selling.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2021, 04:19 AM   #8
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
By modified you mean they took metal off of it?

Sometimes I wonder what happened to certain watches.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2021, 04:44 AM   #9
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
The end links are altered or whatever. They are not correct and should be replaced.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2021, 04:52 AM   #10
Andjwhite
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
Fabulous insert, but the rest of the watch looks average to my eyes, relative to the price, and the bracelet looks shot.
I was wondering if the fuchsia insert which is on trend demanded the higher price.

Quote:
And maybe I'm getting grumpy (er) the longer I'm in this hobby, but am I the only one bugged by the reference to "service papers" in the listing? Maybe minor, but that implies RSC papers, not the HQ Milton paperwork, which should be standard. I've bought a couple of watches from them through the years, and they always say they go over all their movements before selling.
I’m not bugged by the reference to service papers. The watchmaker at HQ Milton is very good. I would not view papers from RSC as superior to HQ papers. Only my opinion. And I would prefer a fully serviced watch to a watch that has been looked over.
Old 3 August 2021, 05:09 AM   #11
mroberts
"TRF" Member

Quote:

For that kind of money, I'd want a much crisper example all-around AND that insert.

I was thinking the same thing. To me, the value behind service papers was that Rolex had worked on the watch and everything checked out as far as authenticity. HQ Milton or whichever dealer 'papers' are worth about just as much as the piece of paper they're printed on.

Thats not to say the person doing HQ Miltons services is not qualified. Just that Rolex has the final say on what is and is not authentic.
mroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2021, 09:17 AM   #12
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Yes, "service papers" is a bit click-baity, although to be fair they do provide a photo of said paperwork.

They'd probably do their integrity a favor if they stated something like "HQ Milton service papers," or "in-house service papers," but their in-house guy is indeed excellent. I believe he used to ply his trade at Rolex, so the level of expertise is the same (or even better?). (I'm assuming it's the same guy they had a couple of years ago when I last purchased from them.)

I bought from them many times and was always happy when I dealt with Jacek.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2021, 09:55 AM   #13
Trog
Banned

Damn! I'm clearly going to have raise the price expectation on mine.
Trog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2021, 10:19 AM   #14
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mroberts View Post
I was thinking the same thing. To me, the value behind service papers was that Rolex had worked on the watch and everything checked out as far as authenticity. HQ Milton or whichever dealer 'papers' are worth about just as much as the piece of paper they're printed on.

Thats not to say the person doing HQ Miltons services is not qualified. Just that Rolex has the final say on what is and is not authentic.

You’re totally right, but to be fair, Scott and his tech probably have a better understanding of what’s real and not real than Rolex does. We have seen a few examples of Rolex calling something fake when indeed it’s authentic. The papers are garbage though. I don’t remember them pulling this gimmick when Jacek was there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2021, 10:21 AM   #15
PepsiBezel
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Neo-Vintage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
Seems to me HQ Milton is just throwing insane prices on everything these days and seeing if anyone bites. They have a black dial Milgauss for 12,550 as an example. That's not even close to reality pricing on that model.
I like to look at HQMilton and see what they have. I think they are a good dealer, but I’ve noticed that everything is “excellent.” Excellent case, excellent dial, excellent bezel, etc. It doesn’t matter if it is a 2020 ceramic model, or a 1970 vintage.

I’ve become a fan of Jacek’s (formerly of HQMilton) site and venture at Tropical Watch.
PepsiBezel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2021, 10:47 AM   #16
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trog View Post
Damn! I'm clearly going to have raise the price expectation on mine.
Yea I think everyone here just added 10k to all of our 1675 lol
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2021, 11:40 AM   #17
MrChamfers
Banned

Watch: ing Warriors ball
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330ci View Post
Absolutely bonkers imo. Rare and in decent shape, but 28k is just ridiculous to spend on a non gilt 1675
How is it rare?
Maybe they screwed up.
MrChamfers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2021, 12:17 PM   #18
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunylw View Post
You’re totally right, but to be fair, Scott and his tech probably have a better understanding of what’s real and not real than Rolex does. We have seen a few examples of Rolex calling something fake when indeed it’s authentic. The papers are garbage though. I don’t remember them pulling this gimmick when Jacek was there.

this is actually quite the issue for vintage watches. I recently had a 5508 looked at by RSC - said nah, your dial is a refinished dial. A number of seasoned members here looked at it and gave it the thumbs up. I also found a number of the same dial on HQMilton, etc for my own sanity.

Bottom line is RSC can't be the bible for vintage pieces because when you have 30-40 year old technicians who have never worked on a vintage 50-60s watch, they just don't know any better. What also makes everyone's lives harder is the fact that Rolex has so many dial variations over the years, gilt, matte, gilt with gilt print, gilt with silver print, gilt with white print, how do you keep up?

My go to now is dealer's websites and this forum for proper assessment. RSC is not reliable for anything earlier than the 70's.
alwayshere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2021, 12:18 PM   #19
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

oh yeah f*ck, forgot about the OP's query - yes very expensive for a standard GMT. I wish we can all add 10K but seems unrealistic for now.
alwayshere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2021, 01:13 PM   #20
baumare
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 1675/8
I wasn't crazy about the watch to begin with, thinking I would never spend that kind of money on that example, but I kept scrolling trough the photos to see the "Service Papers"...
baumare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2021, 02:30 PM   #21
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayshere View Post
this is actually quite the issue for vintage watches. I recently had a 5508 looked at by RSC - said nah, your dial is a refinished dial. A number of seasoned members here looked at it and gave it the thumbs up. I also found a number of the same dial on HQMilton, etc for my own sanity.

Bottom line is RSC can't be the bible for vintage pieces because when you have 30-40 year old technicians who have never worked on a vintage 50-60s watch, they just don't know any better. What also makes everyone's lives harder is the fact that Rolex has so many dial variations over the years, gilt, matte, gilt with gilt print, gilt with silver print, gilt with white print, how do you keep up?

My go to now is dealer's websites and this forum for proper assessment. RSC is not reliable for anything earlier than the 70's.

Totally agree. Much more knowledge on this forum and over on the vintage forum than in the RSC.

Old 3 August 2021, 04:45 PM   #22
colpol
"TRF" Member

I walked through the Argyll Arcade In Glasgow last week

Everything extortionate. Sign of the times.
colpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2021, 03:28 AM   #23
Tom1675
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I was irked by the papers, which are just on HQ Milton letterhead from a couple weeks ago... this is gilt pricing, you would think they would tidy up the endlinks if listing for this price. I really sound like an old grump too!
Tom1675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2021, 03:46 AM   #24
linesiders
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: U Talkn Bout Wilis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andjwhite View Post
Anyone have $28k lying around that they want to give me?

I don’t have the funds anyway, but wondering what the experts think on this example. I actually love it, but want to hear opinions from others and if you think it’s worth the $$!

https://www.hqmilton.com/timepieces/...e-papers-A4495
I like it - I don't 28K like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post
Needs new endlinks - these have been shaved or someone swapped in smaller endlinks.
Old 4 August 2021, 06:45 AM   #25
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andjwhite View Post
The watchmaker at HQ Milton is very good. I would not view papers from RSC as superior to HQ papers.
Yes, he is good and might know a lot more in the world of vintage Rolexes than your average RSC watchmaker. However, RSC service papers are a lot more valuable than HQ papers, and you often need to pay a premium for them if they come with a watch.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2021, 10:57 PM   #26
linesiders

Watch: U Talkn Bout Wilis
Quote:
Yes, he is good and might know a lot more in the world of vintage Rolexes than your average RSC watchmaker. However, RSC service papers are a lot more valuable than HQ papers, and you often need to pay a premium for them if they come with a watch.

This ^^^^
Old 5 August 2021, 03:58 AM   #27
overgrower
"TRF" Member

Maybe the independent service paper thing is a recent trend?

Jacek at Tropical Watch also has a GMT listed "with Service Papers" that are not RSC service papers. I know that Giovanni is the old SF RSC.

https://tropicalwatch.com/watches/dk61

But some other watches on the site listed "with Service Papers" is actually a RSC card.

https://tropicalwatch.com/watches/nwqe
overgrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2021, 10:53 AM   #28
Andjwhite
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Gotcha, thanks!
Old 5 August 2021, 12:07 PM   #29
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by overgrower View Post
Maybe the independent service paper thing is a recent trend?

Jacek at Tropical Watch also has a GMT listed "with Service Papers" that are not RSC service papers. I know that Giovanni is the old SF RSC.

https://tropicalwatch.com/watches/dk61

But some other watches on the site listed "with Service Papers" is actually a RSC card.

https://tropicalwatch.com/watches/nwqe

RSC papers are now a card, at least they have been for the last 4-5 watches I’ve done.

Old 5 August 2021, 12:45 PM   #30
77T

HQ Milton 1675

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunylw View Post
RSC papers are now a card, at least they have been for the last 4-5 watches I’ve done.

I agree - but there’s always been a card as far back as I can recall. I have bought vintage Rolexes with RSC Service Warranty cards back into the ‘90’s.

And there are papers to be considered with an RSC service. A fully documented RSC overhaul includes the estimate quote prior to service that shows required and recommended items, plus the invoice after service showing what was actually done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote