The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 3 August 2021, 01:05 PM   #1981
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golftime View Post
I give him credit. He is definitely a great driver and unfortunately a great whiner at the same time.
it's hard to be positive 24/7 when you have post race emotions. very easy to say the wrong things and i never understood why he's held to such a huge standard compared to other drivers. vettel is a huge cry baby, alonso speaks his mind all the time, kimi...well we all know how he is lol. then you can look at max and he's possibly the biggest whiner on the grid right now but that's also partly due to his age and also part of horner doing the same so it's basically acceptable culture at red bull. this is what happens when you're pushing to win at all costs and you get mics shoved in your face minutes after losing races which is typically the only time lewis has some questionable things slip out

who was the last champion who said all the right things? even rosberg had a bunch of very questionable moments. then you can look at the greats like senna and prost and they also whined a lot when things went wrong. the only people that don't say controversial things to media or about other drivers are the people in the middle or back of the grid who can't afford to say anything bad
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2021, 01:20 PM   #1982
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
it's hard to be positive 24/7 when you have post race emotions. very easy to say the wrong things and i never understood why he's held to such a huge standard compared to other drivers. vettel is a huge cry baby, alonso speaks his mind all the time, kimi...well we all know how he is lol. then you can look at max and he's possibly the biggest whiner on the grid right now but that's also partly due to his age and also part of horner doing the same so it's basically acceptable culture at red bull. this is what happens when you're pushing to win at all costs and you get mics shoved in your face minutes after losing races which is typically the only time lewis has some questionable things slip out

who was the last champion who said all the right things? even rosberg had a bunch of very questionable moments. then you can look at the greats like senna and prost and they also whined a lot when things went wrong. the only people that don't say controversial things to media or about other drivers are the people in the middle or back of the grid who can't afford to say anything bad
I know right. It's like we expect these guys to be calm and rational when driving 150mph when the smallest mistake could potentially kill them or cause serious injury. I would be pretty wound up too in those situations and I'm a pretty chill guy. Emotions run high in the heat of the moment and after. I wouldn't expect these guys to calm down that fast after an incident or race is completed.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2021, 01:43 PM   #1983
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillo View Post
I wasn't saying the other team would pay, I agree that would be a nightmare. I was just saying why not just let the team repair the damage at no hit to their cap if someone torpedoes into them. They could some third party rep would be the one who determines the amount.
Oh ok, that's makes sense. Apologies I misunderstood.
However, even this I can see becoming bureaucratic, if there's any opportunity open to squirm out of working within your budget, teams will take every opportunity to use it.
I think the system in place now is the most effective and fair.
There's a budget cap that you must meet to play in F1 and to keep the super teams from outspending everyone.

Driver's are paid to push the machine to it's limit, while still bringing the car to the pits in one piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGT3 View Post
Alonso said: “I thought honestly that I could not hold him more than one or two laps. But on the last couple of corners, he seemed to struggle a little bit to follow me. Then it was enough to open a gap on the straight and defend.

“I think he learned a couple of different lines in the last three corners after the 10 laps behind me. He was able to pass Carlos just in one lap, applying those new lines.”

>>>>>

If one gets away from the UK centric news and reads coverage in other languages, there's a near universal opinion on this.
mehhh....just Alonso puffing himself up. F1 is about posturing and finding ways to be relevant. Alonso is good but he doesn't bring anything exciting to F1's future....Last year Alonso.....said no one, ever.

Also, it's obvious something was up with Lewis. Dude was cooked and well done, whether covid long hauler or heat exhaustion, battling from dead last to the front isn't just achieved by magic, if so why isn't Mr Alonso at least beating all mid packers. Cheap shots by Alonso and appreciate Lewis' race craft at getting by cleanly versus dive bombing into a tiny slot causing something to go wrong on a day where one MB already took out all the fastest front runners.
I can't even imagine the calamity of criticism Lewis would have faced if he even nicked Alonso causing him to go off track.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2021, 05:16 PM   #1984
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
It’s not like these issues are new! Budget cap needs some re-thinking.

Bottas’ crash was another in a long line of big crashes.

Who’d pick up the bill at Spa?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OmegaJJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2021, 07:18 PM   #1985
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golftime View Post
I give him credit. He is definitely a great driver and unfortunately a great whiner at the same time.
There's a lot more to Sir Lewis than most know.
He's just donated £20,000,000 to a charity start-up.
Behind all the media bull, he's a really good lad.
Speedbird-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2021, 08:36 PM   #1986
Goin2drt
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post

Nicely stated. It is was it is. It does not matter the sport or the forum. You are always going to have the fans and the haters. It is always the top guy on top that the haters are going to try and bring down to their level. Tom Brady in football. Just go to any forum and find a football thread and you will see the same. How about Lebron James, same thing (hell I get sucked into that as I can't stand the guy). It just is human nature. The GOAT of their sport are going to have the most haters and critics. With that they also usually have the most fans.
Goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2021, 11:03 PM   #1987
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbird-1 View Post
There's a lot more to Sir Lewis than most know.
He's just donated £20,000,000 to a charity start-up.
Behind all the media bull, he's a really good lad.
EXACTLY, and this is something more F1 drivers should be doing imho. Of course they don't have to, yet even without spending a penny they can wisely leverage their influence to better the world around them. jmho
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2021, 05:32 AM   #1988
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 Daytona Blusy
Quote:
I wasn't saying the other team would pay, I agree that would be a nightmare. I was just saying why not just let the team repair the damage at no hit to their cap if someone torpedoes into them. They could some third party rep would be the one who determines the amount.
Agree. The spirit of the rule is that the teams with the most money don't outspend everyone, not that teams can't repair the damage to their cars when caused by someone else. 77T will know what I'm talking about but this gets into the way racers use the 13/13 rule as a weapon. FYI, driver's salaries are excluded from the budget cap so why not damage to chassis or even engines. Ferrari today stated that their engine in LEC car suffered so much damage on Sunday that they will prematurely have to go to their 3rd and final engine for the year... not what the fans want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
mehhh....just Alonso puffing himself up. F1 is about posturing and finding ways to be relevant. Alonso is good but he doesn't bring anything exciting to F1's future....Last year Alonso.....said no one, ever.
Does Tom Brady bring anything exciting to the NFL future at 44 years old?
Alonso wasn't in F1 last year so this comment makes no sense as he took 2 years off. Second, Alonso doesn't have to prove anything to anyone. Independent of his F1 exploits, the guy competed in the Indy 500 without ever having been in the car or an oval before and has won overall at LeMan and competed in the Dakar rally. He's regarded as a top F1 driver of all time even with only 2 F1 Championships, beat arguably the best F1 driver of all time in Michael Schumacher twice and does more with less in terms of equipment year in and year out. The fact he's 40 years old, still a beast after a 2 year sabbatical and people are still in awe of his skills is exactly what F1 fans love. Give FA a Mercedes or RB and we're talking a different story today.
SDGT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2021, 05:48 AM   #1989
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Agree. The spirit of the rule is that the teams with the most money don't outspend everyone, not that teams can't repair the damage to their cars when caused by someone else. 77T will know what I'm talking about but this gets into the way racers use the 13/13 rule as a weapon. FYI, driver's salaries are excluded from the budget cap so why not damage to chassis or even engines. Ferrari today stated that their engine in LEC car suffered so much damage on Sunday that they will prematurely have to go to their 3rd and final engine for the year... not what the fans want.

Alonso wasn't in F1 last year so this comment makes no sense as he took 2 years off. Second, Alonso doesn't have to prove anything to anyone. Independent of his F1 exploits, the guy competed in the Indy 500 without ever having been in the car or an oval before and has won overall at LeMan and competed in the Dakar rally. He's regarded as a top F1 driver of all time even with only 2 F1 Championships, beat arguably the best F1 driver of all time in Michael Schumacher twice and does more with less in terms of equipment year in and year out. The fact he's 40 years old, still a beast after a 2 year sabbatical and people are still in awe of his skills is exactly what F1 fans love. Give FA a Mercedes or RB and we're talking a different story today.
can't compare alonso to tom brady. yes alonso is one of the best drivers in the sport but tom brady is literally the goat and this is coming from someone who hates him and the patriots. the guy went to a brand new team and went to the superbowl to destroy patrick mahomes at 43 years old...he single handedly revived a dead franchise that no one cared about. f1 is unfortunately all about how good your car is so even if alonso is still good no one except his die hard fans will care because there's not much you can do and casual fans don't care about losers. tom brady will sell out the stadiums of any team he goes to on the other hand
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2021, 05:56 AM   #1990
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Alonso wasn't in F1 last year so this comment makes no sense as he took 2 years off. Second, Alonso doesn't have to prove anything to anyone. Independent of his F1 exploits, the guy competed in the Indy 500 without ever having been in the car or an oval before and has won overall at LeMan and competed in the Dakar rally. He's regarded as a top F1 driver of all time even with only 2 F1 Championships, beat arguably the best F1 driver of all time in Michael Schumacher twice and does more with less in terms of equipment year in and year out.

The fact he's 40 years old, still a beast after a 2 year sabbatical and people are still in awe of his skills is exactly what F1 fans love. Give FA a Mercedes or RB and we're talking a different story today.
I was cheering more and more the longer I read into your post. F..k yeah!

Thank you!!!!!!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 13 August 2021, 07:29 AM   #1991
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

The Official Formula One Thread!

While we await resumption of the season, and news about the RBR* appeal (if it moves forward), I thought this recent article would whet your appetites.

It’s about the crossroads of F1 and horological sponsorship costs…
https://usa.watchpro.com/in-depth-ho...-on-track/?amp

*[edit: oops, meant AM team]
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?

Last edited by 77T; 13 August 2021 at 08:02 AM.. Reason: Fix brain fart
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2021, 07:41 AM   #1992
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
While we await resumption of the season, and news about the RBR appeal (if it moves forward), I thought this recent article would whet your appetites.

It’s about the crossroads of F1 and horological sponsorship costs…
https://usa.watchpro.com/in-depth-ho...-on-track/?amp

Apparently Aston Martin have stopped their appeal, it’s in the news today.

AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2021, 07:46 AM   #1993
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post
Apparently Aston Martin have stopped their appeal, it’s in the news today.

Do you have a link to reference? A Google search raised nothing.

Old 13 August 2021, 07:54 AM   #1994
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:

https://racer.com/2021/08/12/aston-m...cation-stands/

https://www.planetf1.com/news/aston-...vettel-appeal/

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2021, 07:55 AM   #1995
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Quote:

AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2021, 08:00 AM   #1996
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post

Thanks guys - my googling deserves a kick in the pants…

My old brain was still using wrong team name in search (like my post had originally done)

Old 13 August 2021, 09:00 AM   #1997
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

Speaking of Seb Vettel, it's always fun to share some comical videos and not always be so serious during the summer break. Seems like a good guy to sit down and share a beer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQuAwHuyFko
Old 13 August 2021, 10:47 AM   #1998
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

So Rolex is over 50% of the watch sponsorship. Considering how small RM is, I see why their timepieces are quite expensive for what they are. I guess racers buy them to donate back to their sport.

Old 13 August 2021, 11:27 AM   #1999
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
So has the FIA decided to go back to V10’s yet?????? I can’t dig the boosted dustbuster sound of the current cars…..

Sent using Tapatalk
airchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2021, 11:26 PM   #2000
sillo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 Digit
Quote:
Speaking of Seb Vettel, it's always fun to share some comical videos and not always be so serious during the summer break. Seems like a good guy to sit down and share a beer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQuAwHuyFko
This was also amazing

@TheGMTHand
sillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2021, 03:32 AM   #2001
jatco

Watch: 116233/79190
Quote:
This was also amazing

No kidding... and

' A Crown for every achievement '
jatco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2021, 04:44 AM   #2002
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

LOL... here is another video of F1 drivers being savage. NSFW and Kimi is highly featured

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIAFwzQCX_g
Old 14 August 2021, 06:26 AM   #2003
dandigangi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Batman
So.... who do we think is going to take the Belgian BP? Excited to Max catch a break and have a good race this time around.

Current:
[116710BLNR, PAM212, Tag Monaco, Navitimer, Casioak]
dandigangi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2021, 08:11 AM   #2004
asloper6001
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandigangi View Post
So.... who do we think is going to take the Belgian BP? Excited to Max catch a break and have a good race this time around.
Since we didn't get to see Max's car after the rebuild with the last race only lasting 2 secs, I'm going to say Merc still has the upper hand. I think a couple races in though, Red Bull will start to apply the pressure again. Unless..... TOTO figured out their secret sauce now too.
asloper6001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2021, 07:03 PM   #2005
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Japan F1 GP CANCELED.

'Covid Complications'
Speedbird-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2021, 08:00 PM   #2006
walds11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Japan F1 GP CANCELED.

'Covid Complications'
It as cancelled last year as well. Ugh!

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...IW984WnfW.html
Old 19 August 2021, 12:51 AM   #2007
jatco

Watch: 116233/79190
Quote:
Japan F1 GP CANCELED.

'Covid Complications'
Not as big of event like the Olympics...

' A Crown for every achievement '
jatco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2021, 02:49 AM   #2008
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Calendar should be trimmed down so I'm not too sad that another GP was cancelled. I just wish it were Russia, France, or Abu Dhabi since those races are usually boring AF.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2021, 04:37 AM   #2009
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

(Deeep sad sigh)

Old 19 August 2021, 09:08 AM   #2010
Bill2
Banned

Watch: 116610LV
Sad, was really looking forward to it with Lewis being my fav of course guess we will have to wait next year again.
Bill2 is offline   Reply With Quote