The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 2 August 2021, 07:38 PM   #1
RolexADreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek Chrono Perp
5712 and its clasp

Am i the only one who thinks that on a 40k Euro watch the clasp and bracelet should be be manifactured better? I struggle to open the clasp when i want to remove the watch and missing very much a quick half link adjustment option when the wrist gets swallen in the heat…
Old 2 August 2021, 09:12 PM   #2
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Nope, lots of complaints about the clasp here on TRF… while secure, def the worst part of the watch w regard to opening/closing! I do like the bracelet though !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2021, 09:36 PM   #3
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I haven’t experienced it first hand, but I’ve heard they aren’t the best
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2021, 11:04 PM   #4
LooseCann0n
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona,Pepsi,SD4K
Is this the same for all the Nautilus bracelets or specifically to the 5712?

Am thinking of adding a PP to my collection but being used to Rolex and it’s adjustability (have both glidelock and the easylink) so I want to know what I am letting myself in for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LooseCann0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2021, 11:59 PM   #5
Fenrira
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooseCann0n View Post
Is this the same for all the Nautilus bracelets or specifically to the 5712?

Am thinking of adding a PP to my collection but being used to Rolex and it’s adjustability (have both glidelock and the easylink) so I want to know what I am letting myself in for?

5740 and 2021-onwards 5990’s and 5980’s have the new-style deployant clasp. There’s no quick adjustment feature, though. I’ve seen mixed reviews of the new clasp, with some members preferring the older style. I find that you get used to it after a short while.
Fenrira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2021, 12:54 AM   #6
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrira View Post
I find that you get used to it after a short while.
This.

The 5711/12 clasp feels as outdated as the watches themselves but I like them regardless.
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2021, 01:03 AM   #7
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
Tinny clasp. Not up to Timex quality.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2021, 01:26 AM   #8
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
It's not a manufacturing issue but a design "quirk" if I may. The clasp is not difficult to open but it takes some time to get used to operate. You are right it has no adjustment on the fly but there is 1.5 link for purchase and you can swap it with the normal link between seasons. Some prefer this clasp because it allows the bracelet to have a slimmer profile.
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2021, 01:30 AM   #9
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
The clasp is effective and very thin with a low profile and therefore comfortable. The newer style butterfly clasp, I’ve heard from owners and from when I tried on a demo, can be a bit bulky and not as comfortable. YMMV.
Old 3 August 2021, 01:38 AM   #10
Swearengen
"TRF" Member

The 5712 clasp is actually very secure and once you get used to it, easy to use. Its low profile and (IMHO) works well with the bracelet. My only gripe is the lack of adjustment short of removing links, which are pinned on mine. I needed a 1 1/2 link to get it to fit perfectly.

1680 1675 16800 16570 16710 17000 16613 17013

Gone but not forgotten 16610LV 1016
Swearengen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2021, 07:00 PM   #11
RolexADreal
"TRF" Member

I still struggle to open mine after a week of use… hopefully it will get better over time
Old 3 August 2021, 08:07 PM   #12
IBDOC
"TRF" Member

Those espousing the virtue of the old style Nauti clasp are imo about as convincing as those (I’m sure there’s a significant overlap between the groups) who say that 324 S C not having hacking seconds and Nautilus bracelets switching from screws to friction pins are somehow good things. As opposed to being antiquated solutions which only remain because of market leadership complacency. It’s great that they’re finally phasing in new clasps and 26-330 S C.

Lemme be clear, 5712 is a great watch. It’s great -despite- the pitiful clasp.
IBDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2021, 09:23 PM   #13
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP
There’s no question it is not easy to open although you get more used to it over time. But on a positive note, I do think it would be nearly impossible to be “pickpocketed” or to have it accidentally come unfastened.

I do agree that some sort of micro adjusting feature should be standard these days. Same with including a couple of half links with the bracelet so fit can be very good out of the box.

srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2021, 02:37 AM   #14
WatchingAustin
"TRF" Member

Watch: iwatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
The clasp is not difficult to open but it takes some time to get used to operate.
My clasp is extremely hard to open and it feels like I'm going to snap the watch taking it off lol. Maybe I'm just not used to Patek clasps but the 5712 I just got is very stiff.
WatchingAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2021, 03:44 AM   #15
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

The key is to not actually lift the folding clasp like you would on let's say an oyster bracelet....I have a much easier time holding the clasp from the side and pulling. Or slipping my finger underneath to the butterfly mechanism and lifting.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2021, 04:07 AM   #16
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
The key is to not actually lift the folding clasp like you would on let's say an oyster bracelet....I have a much easier time holding the clasp from the side and pulling. Or slipping my finger underneath to the butterfly mechanism and lifting.
Yup, like some Cartiers and some others you have to put your finger under the bracelet and use leverage to open the clasp from below, you can't pull it open from the top like you would expect, its very old fashioned but then that is the style of the Nautilus.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2021, 06:21 AM   #17
watchniels
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek, AP, Rolex
Same thought I had when trying on a Nautilus for the first time. You get used to it quickly, but feels somewhat scary the first few times.

Also the lack of micro-adjustment can be annoying (just like with AP ROs), and might be hard for some people to get used it - especially if you are used to changing your size during hot day like you can with less expensive sports watches.
Old 5 August 2021, 06:56 AM   #18
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Seems like 46 years would have been long enough to make a simple clasp work properly.
Old 5 August 2021, 07:24 AM   #19
SpaceDweller77
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Patek
The clasp itself is fine, low profile and secure, it fits the style of the watch well. Some type of micro adjustment system would be helpful, however…
SpaceDweller77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2021, 07:41 AM   #20
fsprow
"TRF" Member

I hate to be the grinch, but how do you "fit the style" of a fake porthole.
Old 5 August 2021, 10:15 AM   #21
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsprow View Post
Seems like 46 years would have been long enough to make a simple clasp work properly.
LOL ... They didn't have that much time as the 3700 had a different clasp. The clasp still found on the 5712 today was introduced some time in the late 1990s. The 3710 had it for sure and I believe later 3800 as well.
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2021, 10:43 AM   #22
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchingAustin View Post
My clasp is extremely hard to open and it feels like I'm going to snap the watch taking it off lol. Maybe I'm just not used to Patek clasps but the 5712 I just got is very stiff.
Maybe for the first few times it will be more difficult. Try the method suggested by Sensui below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
+1. For myself, I insert my fingernail at the side to lift the clasp. It is quite similar to this method you are using.
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2021, 06:17 PM   #23
RolexADreal
"TRF" Member

That’s exactly my case… sorry to say but 5712 on bracelet is not gaining any wrist time with me…

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchniels View Post
Same thought I had when trying on a Nautilus for the first time. You get used to it quickly, but feels somewhat scary the first few times.

Also the lack of micro-adjustment can be annoying (just like with AP ROs), and might be hard for some people to get used it - especially if you are used to changing your size during hot day like you can with less expensive sports watches.
Old 6 August 2021, 06:45 PM   #24
Fenrira
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcefalu View Post
That’s exactly my case… sorry to say but 5712 on bracelet is not gaining any wrist time with me…
The next Nautilus will most likely have a revised clasp, so perhaps you should sell your current one and look forward to the new one.
Fenrira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2021, 04:23 AM   #25
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

While these bracelets are beautiful -- the clasp is poorly designed in my opinion.
watchucallit is offline   Reply With Quote