The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watch Reviews (Non-Rolex)

Old 8 February 2019, 09:31 PM   #1
Blackdog
"TRF" Member

Christopher Ward Trident Pro 600. A mini review.

Strange there are no reviews of CW watches in this sub-forum. I just got one, and I’m VERY impressed, so I thought I'd share my impressions.

This incoming was not entirely planned. After being positively impressed by the Helson Sharkmaster 300 (homage to the 60s Seamaster) I bought last summer, I bought a Shark Diver 40mm in blue past December. And was much less impressed… The finish quality of the head and bracelet were clearly inferior and on top of everything it failed the WR test out of the box. So it went back for a refund.

But having the cash in Paypal was troubling me, so I looked again at the British guys of CW. I have checked them in the past, but this time I decided to research them a bit more. It seemed that customers were really happy with their CWs. They looked very sharp in pictures, so why not give them a try…

It is clearly a dress diver in design, but has some clear personality, drawing inspiration from many classic designs but not being a copy of anything. They have a solid reputation for good customer support too.

I went for their flagship diver: the 43mm Trident Pro in blue, on the bracelet. And with the express delivery option I got it in just over 24Hs since I placed my order.

And I have been EXTREMELY impressed by the quality of the whole package !! The packaging and presentation box are very much what you expect from a luxury product. But more important: The quality of this piece is absurdly good for a sub 1000 euro watch. IMO it is excellent value.

The design lines of the case are pretty unique, and while it is a large watch (43mm, 51mm L2L), the lugs curve nicely down and wears very comfortably.

The alternated polished and brushed surfaces are just perfect, with very crisp lines separating them. Everything is perfectly finished, the handset, the indices and the dial waves guilloché (rather shamelessly borrowed from Omega Seamasters). Dial printing is crisp and minimal: brand name at 9 (balancing the metal framed date window at 3) and two small lines of text at 6.
Many brand enthusiasts are less than happy with the branding positioning on the dial, but frankly, I like it much better than the previous logo at 12.

The ceramic bezel insert is glossy, with embossed numbers and the bezel action (120 clicks) is excellent. Overall it shows the quality of a much more expensive piece.
The shade of blue of this generation of Trident is just right, IMO, the previous incarnation was a bit too bright.

The end links fit the case very precisely. The bracelet is simple and solid. Essentially an oyster type with slightly raised PCLs. Finishing is, again, excellent.
The removable links use pins and collars. Probably my only complain. Not because it is not well done, it is, but only because screws are easier to work on (and let’s face it, look better).
The clasp is a very simple dual push-button design, but the finishing is very good. And it has a simple but effective tool-less micro adjustment in the spirit of the Rolex Glidelock. All in all, it works well without becoming bulky.

Inside there’s a Sellita SW200 (ETA 2824 equivalent), and seems to be running at +7s at the moment. The watch is assembled and tested in Switzerland.

I have to say that even at retail, this watch represents excellent value. It rivals the competition at two or three times the price.

I once read something funny about the Rolex Sub: It’s the best $1000 watch that you can buy for $4000 (yes, those were the days…). I can say something similar of the CW: It’s a great $3000 watch that you can buy for $1000.
Blackdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2019, 08:18 AM   #2
Rags
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16233,16610,214270
Congrats but don't expect many positive reviews as most here loathe anything that resembles a submariner. Nice review..

114300 Oyster Perpetual
76200 Tudor Date+Day
Rags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2019, 04:42 AM   #3
Blackdog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags View Post
Congrats but don't expect many positive reviews as most here loathe anything that resembles a submariner. Nice review..
Thanks !

I totally get your point. But I find it interesting, though, that you see the CW particularly resemblant of a Submariner... I mean, beyond being a dark dialled watch with a rotating bezel...

I don't quite see it. IMO they have made every effort to make every aspect of the watch their own distinct design and different from the Sub. OK, maybe not the bracelet, but the clasp is substantially different too.

If I see any resemblance is more to the Seamaster than the Sub.

Talking about resemblance to the Sub I also find interesting that there's a review in this section of the Ginault Ocean Rover, which goes a bit beyond a simple resemblance, and people don't seem too disturbed about it anyway.
Old 10 February 2019, 04:45 AM   #4
Blackdog
"TRF" Member

(duplicate post)
Old 13 June 2019, 10:08 AM   #5
Car32
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the review! I recently stumbled across the CW C60 Trident Pro and was immediately attracted given the ability to pick it up in 38mm or 40mm, and the red bezel option looks pretty amazing and is different. It would be great as a beater watch.

The deal breaker, however, is the awful “Christopher Ward” logo at the 9 o’clock, especially since they have their new logo embossed at the 12 o’clock.

If they get rid of that logo in the next generation, I am in!
Car32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2019, 02:37 PM   #6
Hendrikus
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: All of them...
If it’s good enough for Roger Smith...
Old 18 June 2019, 01:03 PM   #7
brianb95
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega Planet Ocean
Thanks for the review man. Seems like a great watch.
brianb95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2019, 06:53 AM   #8
Blackdog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car32 View Post
Thanks for the review! I recently stumbled across the CW C60 Trident Pro and was immediately attracted given the ability to pick it up in 38mm or 40mm, and the red bezel option looks pretty amazing and is different. It would be great as a beater watch.

The deal breaker, however, is the awful “Christopher Ward” logo at the 9 o’clock, especially since they have their new logo embossed at the 12 o’clock.

If they get rid of that logo in the next generation, I am in!
Funny you mention the red bezel MK3.

I wanted a beater GMT and got the 38mm one.

But it doesn't really look like a beater. Nothing looks cheap in this watch.
Fit and finish of the MK3 is even a step above the MK2. Really amazing value IMO.

I happen to like the brand at 9. I find it different and modern in some way. The logo at 12 is only visible when the light is just at the right angle.

I'm pretty happy with the two CWs, MK2 and MK3. Pretty much everything was updated on the MK3 to the point that they look almost like different models.

Old 12 November 2019, 11:49 AM   #9
aero
"TRF" Member

What places this watch in a less attractive position is...
That Christopher Ward written at 9 O, clock.

Really undesirable.

Not for me, but seems to be well manufactured.

Aero.
aero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2019, 03:12 AM   #10
tjs00
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aero View Post
What places this watch in a less attractive position is...
That Christopher Ward written at 9 O, clock.

Really undesirable.

Not for me, but seems to be well manufactured.

Aero.
Agree, put a logo, not a horrible font with your name emblazened.
tjs00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2020, 08:47 PM   #11
WizardWatch
"TRF" Member

Great watch with great specs !!
WizardWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 February 2020, 04:20 AM   #12
Dirty John
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjs00 View Post
Agree, put a logo, not a horrible font with your name emblazened.
Couldn't agree more.

Nice watch though. I had one for a few years. No complaints.
Dirty John is offline   Reply With Quote