The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 7 November 2020, 02:43 AM   #5311
trippinjimmy
"TRF" Member

WOW who else owns ttd? Happy day!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
trippinjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2020, 03:49 AM   #5312
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeezy14@hotmail.com View Post
Interesting that you closed out of SQ; that's a long-term hold for me, as I think they have plenty of runway left and don't find the valuation insane (when compared to something like a TSLA).
I believe they have too much competition and I did not like the crypto entry. They have no moat and a rich valuation, so just a trade for me.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2020, 05:12 AM   #5313
JParm
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by trippinjimmy View Post
WOW who else owns ttd? Happy day!!!

Can't win them all - I've had this on the watchlist for few weeks and when it dipped last week to the 570 level (and even lower), I was VERY tempted to buy in. I hesitated because of the volatility and runup of it...and here we are.

Oh well - onto the next.
Old 8 November 2020, 09:43 AM   #5314
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5 digit models
Talking Stocks 2.0

Just a heads up. Wall St Journal has a deal currently. $4 / month for online subscription access. Decent price for 12 months.
jaisonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2020, 12:58 AM   #5315
mbalmz

Quote:
Can't win them all - I've had this on the watchlist for few weeks and when it dipped last week to the 570 level (and even lower), I was VERY tempted to buy in. I hesitated because of the volatility and runup of it...and here we are.

Oh well - onto the next.

I got in at 475 during the big september dip and am still just upset I didn’t get in for more since. you can’t win against the FOMO lol
___

instagram: @brooklynwatchguy
mbalmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2020, 08:23 AM   #5316
austinp
"TRF" Member

Retirement question.
Once you reach your retirement goal but aren’t quite ready to retire, what type of investment should your money be in? Super conservative? Or leave some in growth?

austinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2020, 11:57 AM   #5317
Letsgodiving
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD 16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinp View Post
Retirement question.
Once you reach your retirement goal but aren’t quite ready to retire, what type of investment should your money be in? Super conservative? Or leave some in growth?

I believe it is recommended to have at least 30% in equities in order to keep up with inflation. That is quite conservative and not what I would personally do but it's considered a minimum to maintain spending power. There are a lot of variables involved in asset allocation at or close to retirement that would require an in depth analysis.
Old 9 November 2020, 10:07 PM   #5318
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Pfizer, Biden, Biogen, McDonald's, Beyond Meat - 5 Things You Must Know Monday

https://www.thestreet.com/markets/5-...-monday-110920

Futures exploding higher based on PFE news, S&P +117, DOW +1153

This is a sell the news moment for me, I will be taking more profits today
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
Old 9 November 2020, 10:09 PM   #5319
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Retirement question.

Impossible to answer such a broad question.

So much is based on debt, assets, future projections on the costs of health care and living expenses.

IMHO I will always be invested in some type of equities as company ownership is the surest path to growing wealth.
Old 9 November 2020, 10:22 PM   #5320
trippinjimmy
"TRF" Member

There was 4.3 trillion sitting in money market accounts last week, and promising vaccine data shoots up the SP and QQQ 2%ish and the Dow 1200? All amidst Europe starting to lock down and threats here? I may be taking quite a few profits today...
Old 9 November 2020, 10:24 PM   #5321
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
There was 4.3 trillion sitting in money market accounts last week, and promising vaccine data shoots up the SP and QQQ 2%ish and the Dow 1200? All amidst Europe starting to lock down and threats here? I may be taking quite a few profits today...
Well the cash has puzzled market observers for years and been called a catalyst for big moves up.

The reality is that (IMHO) the cash is almost always wrong and is sitting when it should be working and losing value when it should be protected. Some people are always on the wrong side of the trade.

Whatever the case, this move higher is too much too fast and this is a text book sell the news event.
Old 9 November 2020, 10:26 PM   #5322
trippinjimmy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Pfizer, Biden, Biogen, McDonald's, Beyond Meat - 5 Things You Must Know Monday

https://www.thestreet.com/markets/5-...-monday-110920

Futures exploding higher based on PFE news, S&P +117, DOW +1153

This is a sell the news moment for me, I will be taking more profits today
Just saw this - guess we're thinking the same! And I'm a long term invester... but this action makes me nervous, and I'd rather quit while I'm ahead for the time being!

I was down 20% about 9 days ago, was about +2% from pre-correction level at Friday's close. I'd imagine I'll be up another 2-3% today upon opening. I just don't see the upside at this point with winter coming and lockdowns starting.

I'm extremely aggressive, but this just makes me nervous.
Old 9 November 2020, 10:33 PM   #5323
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Just saw this - guess we're thinking the same! And I'm a long term invester... but this action makes me nervous, and I'd rather quit while I'm ahead for the time being!

I was down 20% about 9 days ago, was about +2% from pre-correction level at Friday's close. I'd imagine I'll be up another 2-3% today upon opening. I just don't see the upside at this point with winter coming and lockdowns starting.

Agreed.

In the interest of transparency and disclosure, I have core holdings that I will not be selling. Then I have trades that for various reasons I could sell, keep or add to based on the markets.

I will NOT be selling my PFE today but I could be selling some tech names or others to raise cash and protect profits.
Old 9 November 2020, 10:33 PM   #5324
Xelorpepsi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Well the cash has puzzled market observers for years and been called a catalyst for big moves up.

The reality is that (IMHO) the cash is almost always wrong and is sitting when it should be working and losing value when it should be protected. Some people are always on the wrong side of the trade.

Whatever the case, this move higher is too much too fast and this is a text book sell the news event.
Interesting comment. We are starting to see more red creeping up (e.g. ZM down 5% right now). Not sure what's driving this move by the way. Could that be the Pfizer vaccine (90% effective), meaning less people will work remotely in the future?
Xelorpepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2020, 10:41 PM   #5325
chadwick4eva
"TRF" Member

Quote:

That's some serious volatility. You may want to reconsider your weightings or strategy if you're bouncing around that much.

Seems like it will be a crazy week- lots of dry powder that was waiting in the wings for a catalytic event hitting the markets. DAL is up 20% premarket!

Watching to see what happens with treasuries and corporate bonds today. To me, a big selloff in the credit market would signal that we are indeed again at the beginning of a new market cycle and large bull run.
chadwick4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2020, 10:46 PM   #5326
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelorpepsi View Post
Interesting comment. We are starting to see more red creeping up (e.g. ZM down 5% right now). Not sure what's driving this move by the way. Could that be the Pfizer vaccine (90% effective), meaning less people will work remotely in the future?
Just my opinion, the work-from-home stocks have always traded on hype more than facts. Consider that perhaps ZM should be trading 5% lower and not because of any news this morning?

There will always be the need for remote work and communication, this potential vaccine wont fix the pandemic overnight so the stock may continue to work. But it has run far ahead of itself just like many tech and cloud plays.
Old 9 November 2020, 11:03 PM   #5327
JParm

When have we see this before...

This might be the 4th or 5th time where we've seen cyclicals / value stocks trade much higher on good vaccine news, with large rotation away from tech.

In my opinion, for this to be a healthy market we need all indices inching higher together - not large swings in one sector as money is pulled from another (look at airlines, hotels, etc today - does that seem like a healthy move?).

As a long-term investor, I'm not making any knee-jerk moves here.
Old 9 November 2020, 11:07 PM   #5328
kearez
"TRF" Member

Quote:
When have we see this before...

This might be the 4th or 5th time where we've seen cyclicals / value stocks trade much higher on good vaccine news, with large rotation away from tech.

In my opinion, for this to be a healthy market we need all indices inching higher together - not large swings in one sector as money is pulled from another (look at airlines, hotels, etc today - does that seem like a healthy move?).

As a long-term investor, I'm not making any knee-jerk moves here.
Agree with you JP. I’ve been adding to my portfolio some of these names which are out of favour last few months, SBUX, DIS etc. Nice to see a nice little jump with them.
kearez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2020, 11:52 PM   #5329
avidflyer

Perfect example, airline stocks up 20 percent....next headline after the vaccine news is how bad its getting that could result into isolated semi lock downs..... nothing has changed. Six months to a year sure. Nothing wrong with profit taking on a day like this
avidflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2020, 11:56 PM   #5330
Xelorpepsi
"TRF" Member

Agree with you all. I was a bit surprised at first as I am overexposed to Tech, but when I looked at the broader market realised it was a just shift from Tech to value stocks.
Xelorpepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2020, 12:01 AM   #5331
trippinjimmy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadwick4eva View Post
That's some serious volatility. You may want to reconsider your weightings or strategy if you're bouncing around that much.

Seems like it will be a crazy week- lots of dry powder that was waiting in the wings for a catalytic event hitting the markets. DAL is up 20% premarket!

Watching to see what happens with treasuries and corporate bonds today. To me, a big selloff in the credit market would signal that we are indeed again at the beginning of a new market cycle and large bull run.

I’ll play the volatility game for growth. I’m 20-30 years from retirement and can stomach the swings.

Full disclosure, a house just popped up on the market, so I’m considering selling now to raise down payment cash not because I think we won’t be higher a year from now. I do think we’re approaching a short term top soon and want to get out ahead rather than try to time this.

I see 20-30% upside longer term (18 months).

Old 10 November 2020, 12:07 AM   #5332
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Retirement question.

Followup, this article just popped up on my Seeking Alpha

https://seekingalpha.com/article/438...t-implications
Old 10 November 2020, 12:42 AM   #5333
logo
"TRF" Member

Wow, some insane volatility today. Good discounts on a few names today, but not touching any of the cruise/airline/hotels etc. We've seen this overzealous response to vaccine news before in June and it didn't end well.
logo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2020, 12:48 AM   #5334
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5 digit models
Talking Stocks 2.0

If Amazon dips below $3000, I’m buying more. Their business hasn’t changed much even with the J&J news. They proved their biz enough over the last 7 months.
jaisonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2020, 12:50 AM   #5335
JParm

+25% jumps on many cyclicals...I took profits Friday a bit too early on calls in WYNN, MAR, etc., but again - this is not a healthy market move IMO. Would not be chasing AT ALL.

I added to absurd dips in SE and U right around open - $10 in SE's price change already since I bought. Take advantage of the tech dips.
Old 10 November 2020, 01:08 AM   #5336
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Crazy day at the moment, Schwab is having website and logon issues

Market already backed off the opening high as I expected.

Crazy taking over 10 minutes for trade executions, I have trimmed MMM and CRM so far.
Old 10 November 2020, 01:22 AM   #5337
logo
"TRF" Member

Having a tough time interpreting next directions here. DOW and S&P above prior resistance, but with a downward gap to fill. Several tech names beaten down more than they should, while several big tech still pressing forward. Likewise, several cyclicals up more than they should. I’m thinking at least short term gap fill, then whether we head up or down I’m not sure. Any thoughts?
logo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2020, 01:24 AM   #5338
JParm

Quote:
Originally Posted by logo View Post
Having a tough time interpreting next directions here. DOW and S&P above prior resistance, but with a downward gap to fill. Several tech names beaten down more than they should, while several big tech still pressing forward. Likewise, several cyclicals up more than they should. I’m thinking at least short term gap fill, then whether we head up or down I’m not sure. Any thoughts?
We all thought we ran up too quickly last week - and then today happens, at least for value stocks...I still think you take profits if you're in those value names.

As for tech, I'm a buyer on these dips, always. Yes, we might be overextended, but I'm long-term and I'm building shares for the future - again, 12-18 months out, I most of us will agree that we'll be higher.

I'm not a chartmaster but when you see where a lot of these tech names were at open, it was clearly overzealous movement in my opinion in terms of the selling this morning. We seem to have stabilized now, so you have to take advantage of those gut feelings sometimes and buy.
Old 10 November 2020, 01:27 AM   #5339
Hard_Six
"TRF" Member

Watch: those three’s roll
I've benefitted from some incredible run-ups over the last several months. A big thanks to many of you guys on here! Never would've come across a lot of these names had I not been looking at this forum. I'm (happily) trimming back today and taking some profits.
Hard_Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2020, 01:31 AM   #5340
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by logo View Post
Simply put, I am not sure what new information could keep this market moving higher.

Much is priced in and this looks like a rush in to avoid being left behind without considering where we are. Will we be higher this time next year? I think yes. In the short term? No.