The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 23 August 2021, 03:10 AM   #1
Number16
"TRF" Member

Icon10 Thoughts on my first Rolex - 15238 E Serial 1990

Hi guys! This is my first Rolex and I want to know your thoughts on it. Sorry for the spam, but I can finally post links and couldn't figure out how to edit my last post.

Should I keep it? How good of a condition is it in? Is 1990 considered vintage now? Does it looks like it's been polished/serviced a lot? Had it checked by Giovanni in SF and he didn't open it, because of the sticker but said it looks good. Still have until the end of today to return it. Paid $10995 = $12000 after taxes.

I do need some permanent links removed in order for it to fit perfect. Should I have that done?

Thanks everyone in advance. So excited, yet scared, and a bit guilty with my first Rolex.

http://imgur.com/gallery/PxNxOhy

Hopefully this is right:

Number16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2021, 03:17 AM   #2
Andjwhite
"TRF" Member

Post pictures, not links…
Andjwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2021, 04:27 AM   #3
Number16
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andjwhite View Post
Post pictures, not links…
Done just for you. :)
Old 23 August 2021, 04:36 AM   #4
CTech
"TRF" Member

Can't tell much from the poor quality photos but it looks to me as if the Jubilee bracelet is badly worn and needs a lot of work. That can be very expensive and you should factor that into the purchase cost to see if it still make sense to you. A total of $12,000 seems to be on the high side for a 1990 34mm Date as I think there are better options available. Personally, I would return it and look for something better.

In the same price range there is a 1996 36mm Datejust with a bark finish at a pawn shop in Santa Monica for $13,000. They have been advertising it on Craigslist for a long time and they might come down a little. I don't know what the watch is like and I have no affiliation with the pawn shop, but it is just one example of other watches for sale to give some perspective:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bark Datejust.jpg (64.0 KB, 187 views)
CTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2021, 04:42 AM   #5
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

If it gives you joy, then keep it and enjoy it.

Personally, it would be hard for me to put $12k into a 34mm Date, since it is not in my preferred size range and there are other larger options with a very similar style. For the same reason, it will probably not be easy to sell if you tire of it.
Old 23 August 2021, 05:00 AM   #6
Number16
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
If it gives you joy, then keep it and enjoy it.

Personally, it would be hard for me to put $12k into a 34mm Date, since it is not in my preferred size range and there are other larger options with a very similar style. For the same reason, it will probably not be easy to sell if you tire of it.

Thanks. What would say about the condition of the watch? Does it look small on my wrist?
Old 23 August 2021, 05:08 AM   #7
L.K Johnson
"TRF" Member

The lugs are quite polished
The bracelet is really stretched
The bezel is wore down

The three things would make me stay away. You could fetch a 1601/8 in full gold for that price, maybe even a 16018…
L.K Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2021, 05:14 AM   #8
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number16 View Post
Thanks. What would say about the condition of the watch? Does it look small on my wrist?
The condition is mediocre overall IMO. Size is totally subjective and difficult to judge from wrist-shot photos anyway. Take photos of yourself in a mirror and study them. Ask your friends and/or partner if you don't trust your own opinion.
Old 23 August 2021, 06:10 AM   #9
Number16
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTech View Post
Can't tell much from the poor quality photos but it looks to me as if the Jubilee bracelet is badly worn and needs a lot of work. That can be very expensive and you should factor that into the purchase cost to see if it still make sense to you. A total of $12,000 seems to be on the high side for a 1990 34mm Date as I think there are better options available. Personally, I would return it and look for something better.

In the same price range there is a 1996 36mm Datejust with a bark finish at a pawn shop in Santa Monica for $13,000. They have been advertising it on Craigslist for a long time and they might come down a little. I don't know what the watch is like and I have no affiliation with the pawn shop, but it is just one example of other watches for sale to give some perspective:

Thanks for the input. Sorry about the photos, this phone sucks.

The Datejust was my initial grail because I really like the jubilee band over the president. The watch you posted is similar, but I really want an all gold Rolex with fluted bezel and jubilee band and it's been hard to find in this price range. Figured the 2mm difference from Datejust to OPD wasn't huge when I saw this.
Old 23 August 2021, 06:10 AM   #10
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
The condition is mediocre overall IMO. Size is totally subjective and difficult to judge from wrist-shot photos anyway. Take photos of yourself in a mirror and study them. Ask your friends and/or partner if you don't trust your own opinion.
Good advice here. I will say this from experience (also a 34mm from Bob’s several years ago), but if you’re worried about it looking/feeling small on your wrist, then it is. It’s likely you’ll never get used to the size and will continually question whether you should’ve gone larger, and hate that you’ve made a mistake.
And a costly one at that.
Just my two cents.
Kingface66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2021, 06:37 AM   #11
pk552502
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16570 black
I have small wrists and used to own a 34mm date watch. I sold it after owning it for a couple years because it was too small even for my 6" wrists. I never could get used to it. 36mm is the perfect size for me. 2mm actually does make a world of difference in my opinion.
pk552502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2021, 06:48 AM   #12
Number16
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingface66 View Post
Good advice here. I will say this from experience (also a 34mm from Bob’s several years ago), but if you’re worried about it looking/feeling small on your wrist, then it is. It’s likely you’ll never get used to the size and will continually question whether you should’ve gone larger, and hate that you’ve made a mistake.
And a costly one at that.
Just my two cents.
Hard for me to judge because I've been rocking a Nixon 50mm all these years, Samsung Galaxy watch, or a cheap Casio 43mm for work and have just been borrowing my Dad's random non-luxury watches for dressier occasions. So compared to what I used to wearing it is small, but this is a dressier and far more valuable timepiece.
Old 23 August 2021, 06:48 AM   #13
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
That bracelet is badly worn. And "They" have a habit of really over-polishing older items.
Do yourself a favor and return that overpriced item it if you can.
There are better deals elsewhere.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2021, 07:23 AM   #14
L.K Johnson
"TRF" Member

Here is some pics of my full gold Datejust 1601/8 on jubilee. You can use it as benchmark pics for the bracelet and other…

Old 23 August 2021, 08:29 AM   #15
Number16
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.K Johnson View Post
Here is some pics of my full gold Datejust 1601/8 on jubilee. You can use it as benchmark pics for the bracelet and other…
Thanks. That helps a lot.
Old 23 August 2021, 08:43 AM   #16
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

Case Is soft, band stretched. I think it’s a bit high in price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 23 August 2021, 09:20 AM   #17
Yachtbuoy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1603
I think it looks fine, I wouldn't stress a bunch about the opinions of others. It's the watch you picked, it looks great, I would enjoy it.
Yachtbuoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2021, 10:03 AM   #18
MorningTundra
"TRF" Member

Only you can judge if 34mm is right for you. Personally, I'm fine with it and the Oyster Date reference has been around for a long time and is well respected. The solid gold version is quite rare. The Jubilee is stretched but not badly polished (the former is fixable, the latter is irreversible). This 19mm bracelet is quite rare and hard to find. I think it has plenty of wear left in it and I don't think it's at risk of suddenly failing and falling off your wrist. The case is polished but not badly or overly. Remember, you can't judge the polish of a solid gold case by the standards of SS. This would have been hand finished at the factory by a (tired and overworked) human. It would again have been 'refreshed' at service intervals. The "never polished, all original" mantra doesn't really apply to solid gold. If you like this watch and can see yourself enjoying it for many years, then keep it. You bought it from a respected dealer so you paid a modest premium for peace of mind. Others may claim they can find better for cheaper, they're probably more experienced with a higher risk appetite. Personally, I wouldn't buy from a pawn shop and that bark Datejust above is just awful. I can see why it's not selling.

This is just the opinion of one random internet guy. Just like all the others above that disagree with me. In the end, the decision is yours and the taste and preference of others shouldn't matter to you. Rolex owners are thought to be confident and self-assured. If you're neither of these, this is probably not the watch for you.
MorningTundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2021, 10:54 AM   #19
Number16
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorningTundra View Post
Only you can judge if 34mm is right for you. Personally, I'm fine with it and the Oyster Date reference has been around for a long time and is well respected. The solid gold version is quite rare. The Jubilee is stretched but not badly polished (the former is fixable, the latter is irreversible). This 19mm bracelet is quite rare and hard to find. I think it has plenty of wear left in it and I don't think it's at risk of suddenly failing and falling off your wrist. The case is polished but not badly or overly. Remember, you can't judge the polish of a solid gold case by the standards of SS. This would have been hand finished at the factory by a (tired and overworked) human. It would again have been 'refreshed' at service intervals. The "never polished, all original" mantra doesn't really apply to solid gold. If you like this watch and can see yourself enjoying it for many years, then keep it. You bought it from a respected dealer so you paid a modest premium for peace of mind. Others may claim they can find better for cheaper, they're probably more experienced with a higher risk appetite. Personally, I wouldn't buy from a pawn shop and that bark Datejust above is just awful. I can see why it's not selling.

This is just the opinion of one random internet guy. Just like all the others above that disagree with me. In the end, the decision is yours and the taste and preference of others shouldn't matter to you. Rolex owners are thought to be confident and self-assured. If you're neither of these, this is probably not the watch for you.
Thanks. The 34mm looks good to me, not sure I can justify an extra 2k for 2mm. I really appreciate the response. I was leaning toward keeping before posting here, but I just wanted to see if people saw anything wrong with the watch and it's condition/value. I pretty much saw saw all gold, fluted bezel, and jubilee bracelet and bought it without really investigating since I know nothing of what to look for in a used Rolex.

I've learned a lot and appreciate everyone's replies so far.
Old 23 August 2021, 11:17 AM   #20
Dr.Smellody
"TRF" Member

For what it is worth. The 34mm is just right and looks great. Case is polished.... so are 98% of any watch that has been serviced in the last 40 years. The bracelet is stretched; so what, I am sure it is comfortable, it will last another 20 years. Price? Rolex prices are crazy. If you like it wear it, and most of all enjoy it!
Dr.Smellody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2021, 03:14 PM   #21
L.K Johnson
"TRF" Member

You could have the bezel laser recut if you want sharper edges…
Old 24 August 2021, 01:48 AM   #22
rmurphy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16600
Wear it for a year and save a bit of money to invest in a full spa treatment with someone like Rolliworks. They can fix your bracelet and bezel and even the case if you want …. As far as the 34mm sizing. I have a longtime friend who is a stocky guy and he has been wearing a 34mm Date for 10 years now and personally I think it looks great on him. It’s a smooth bezel on oyster bracelet that maybe adds to giving it a more sporty look versus the dressier look of yours but it’s the same size irregardless.
My daily wearer is my 36mm Datejust and honestly it’s my favorite size of all my Rolex, Tudors and Omega’s I own and have owned. It’s the perfect daily watch for me.
Asking for opinions on here is a natural thing, in my time on the forums I have gone through this as well and while I still value it I’ve been able to keep it in better perspective. Watches are really a subjective experience ….. always buy and wear what you like. Try and refrain from judging yours against someone else’s because there’s always a reason to covet someone else’s better size, look or price paid.
You have a nice watch, size it and wear it with pride. Most folks worldwide can’t fathom being able to spend what we all spend on these mechanical wonders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2021, 09:11 AM   #23
Number16
"TRF" Member

Thanks guys. I kept it. I went to a store yesterday and put on a Datejust and it wasn't much of a difference. I also like that it's a "newer" watch so that parts are easier to come by for the movement.

Now I'm looking into getting the stretch fixed eventually.