The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 7 August 2017, 03:08 AM   #1
Quicksilver
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing watches
Thinking of taking the Panerai plunge!

I am very much a Rolex addict with a sideline in Omega's. Panerai had never really entered into my consciousness except as a brand that Rolex supplied movements to many years ago.

Now all that has changed. Looking around my AD the other evening I stumbled into the Panerai display case and was immediately smitten by a black Luminor Marina 8 day model. But it looked so big on my 6.5 wrist I just wasn't sure. The salesman of course said it looked fantastic

Anyway, I thought I should do some research before deciding whether or not to buy one of these intriguing watches. It doesn't help one's research when the watch world is divided between lovers and haters of the brand with no one taking a neutral position. Something about this brand polarises opinion.

My research has led me to favouring 2 Luminor models - the base and the Luminor Base 8 days. I feel I now prefer the clean dial look of these over the Marina with its seconds hand at 9. I think I'm going to go for the 8 day model - I like the sandwich dial and I like the idea of an 8 day power reserve.

Any advice or tips would be appreciated. Also I have a 6.5 wrist which is on the smaller side of average but I'm reasonably tall with long arms. So the thing I'm finding difficult is the size of this watch. Do they take a bit of getting used to ?

Thanks
Old 7 August 2017, 03:13 AM   #2
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Recommend you have a serious look at a preowned Luminor 111 or 000
A great representation of the brand along with solid value.
Old 7 August 2017, 03:49 AM   #3
Swiss Mad!
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
No reason you can't enjoy Rolex, Omega & Panerai.

Are you thinking 44 or 47mm?

The 47mm may be a little on the large size for your 6.5" wrist - my wrist is 7.25" and I just about get away with it.

44mm you will be fine with.

Good luck whatever you decide - don't forget to post pics

Regards

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

instagram: max.parkin
Swiss Mad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2017, 03:51 AM   #4
MonBK
Banned

I can honestly say I never cared for them but after seeing Ruud's gren watch it makes me wonder.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2017, 04:16 AM   #5
nick c
Banned

Welcome to the dark sideI'm going to help you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2017, 04:18 AM   #6
nick c
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post
I can honestly say I never cared for them but after seeing Ruud's gren watch it makes me wonder.

Mon Panerai will be perfect on you IMG_5698.JPG

Old 7 August 2017, 04:43 AM   #7
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

My first PAM arrives tomorrow!!
Old 7 August 2017, 04:56 AM   #8
kkpam
"TRF" Member

I love both Rolex and Panerai too. Here's a base 8 day picture to help you. My wrist is a tad larger at 7". I think you'll get used to the size quickly.
kkpam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2017, 06:06 AM   #9
Quicksilver
"TRF" Member

Thank you everyone for your comments and great photos. Certainly I would go no larger than 44mm. Anything larger just won't work with me - although these watches look huge on anyone's wrist.

Here's a wrist shot of one the 8 day Base I tried on yesterday -

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 7 August 2017, 06:24 AM   #10
kkpam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
Thank you everyone for your comments and great photos. Certainly I would go no larger than 44mm. Anything larger just won't work with me - although these watches look huge on anyone's wrist.

It's a large watch but looks great on your wrist
kkpam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2017, 07:11 AM   #11
pins79
"TRF" Member

I purchased my first Panerai not long ago after having similar hesitations about size as I have a 6.75 inch wrist. I own Rolex, AP, and FPJ, but there was just something about Panerai that kept drawing my attention.

I finally decided on a Pam 661, since it's 44mm, its relatively thin for a pam, and of course, has the cool Carbotech case. Couldn't be happier. I like that the watch feels somewhat substantial on the wrist compared to a 40 mm Sub or 39 mm Chrono Bleu. One of the best parts is playing with all the custom straps and buckles available out there.

Good luck in your search.
pins79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2017, 07:22 AM   #12
fullcourt
"TRF" Member

Watch: panerai
what about a 512? 42mm radiomir, unless you want the crown guard, then go with the 8 day base or a preowned 000.

good luck with your quest, i own rolex, omega and panerai....love them all

chgo_risti on IG
fullcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2017, 07:29 AM   #13
HD_Pilot
2024 Pledge Member

I too have a <7in wrist. That being said I bought a 44mm Pam and just could never get use to it 7-8 years ago. I sold it after a very short time. I liked the brand so much I bought a 40mm on a bracelet pam050. I love it. I know many die hard enthusiasts don't like 40mm models and are not fond of bracelet models, but for me , my panerai and my sub are my 2 favorite watches. I also just bought a Radiomir 380, the least expensive radiomir they make, because I didn't wat to take too much of a beating if I didn't grow to love it. Well at this point I don't think I'm going to keep it because of the size. It is said "they wear small" , but I just can't get use to it as much as I would love it to work. It is a dam fine looking watch.

I have always noticed that a lot of guys with smaller wrist don't have an issue wearing a panerai that to me seems way to big for them. To each his own. Hope you get one you enjoy.
HD_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2017, 07:39 AM   #14
Quicksilver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullcourt View Post
what about a 512? 42mm radiomir, unless you want the crown guard, then go with the 8 day base or a preowned 000.

good luck with your quest, i own rolex, omega and panerai....love them all
I did try the Radomir. I liked it but, strangely enough, it seemed to suit my wrist less than the 44mm.
Old 7 August 2017, 07:42 AM   #15
nick c
Banned

Quote:

Well done and great choice congratulations
Old 7 August 2017, 09:15 AM   #16
Quicksilver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pins79 View Post
I purchased my first Panerai not long ago after having similar hesitations about size as I have a 6.75 inch wrist. I own Rolex, AP, and FPJ, but there was just something about Panerai that kept drawing my attention.

I finally decided on a Pam 661, since it's 44mm, its relatively thin for a pam, and of course, has the cool Carbotech case. Couldn't be happier. I like that the watch feels somewhat substantial on the wrist compared to a 40 mm Sub or 39 mm Chrono Bleu. One of the best parts is playing with all the custom straps and buckles available out there.

Good luck in your search.
Thanks. I think a lot of it is in the eyes of the beholder. In the shop the assistant, who has a smaller wrist than me, put the watch on. Somehow it still looked great on him. I think that's due to the way the lugs curve down and wrap around the slope of the wrist. But if a person is not comfortable with a big watch, even if it looks good, then a Panerai us not going to work for him.
Old 7 August 2017, 09:16 AM   #17
Quicksilver
"TRF" Member

Funnily enough, after looking at a few more photos and videos I am starting to think the Marina may be better for me. A slightly busier dial makes the watch look a little smaller.
Old 7 August 2017, 09:35 AM   #18
LJG
"TRF" Member

Looks good on you - as long as the lugs don't hang over your wrist and it's comfortable I'd say go for one. I just got my 321 the other day, really liked the 1950 + sandwich dial combo.

LJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2017, 09:39 AM   #19
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Fantastic choice, congratulations !!!
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2017, 12:29 PM   #20
donas
Banned

Watch: 116619
I went with the 111 a couple years ago and it gets more wrist time than either of my subs now. I was worried about the size, but now it feels just right and the subs feel small.
donas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2017, 12:57 PM   #21
dnpina
Banned

Watch: 126610 LV
The 560 base all day long. The 8 days movement is so convenient. It's a great watch to own. I love mine on the assolutamente brown strap. Good luck.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
dnpina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2017, 01:11 PM   #22
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Quote:

Nothing wrong with that at all. Keep in mind that Panerai are supposed to wear big. They are physically large watches and are meant to be a little bit in-yer-face.

Once you pick up a PAM and start messing about with strap options, you'll wonder what took you so long. However, before you bite the bullet, I'd do a little more research and see what else is out there. Most here will steer you towards the Base models, and with good reason. Solid, reliable and you won't lose much money (if any) should you decide it's not for you and flip.

Now, I don't know what your budget is or anything like that but try also looking at a 1950 Luminor with a domed crystal. Given that you have a mild concern over your wrist size, the domed crystal makes the watch wear smaller. The obvious choice here is the classic, iconic and almost legendary 233. It's not cheap brand new at £10,400 but you should be able to score a pre-loved one at much more sensible money. 44mm, domed crystal, manual wind (therefore thinner), GMT, date, eight-day power reserve and P2002 movement (which I believe to be bullet proof but you need an expert to confirm that).

Good luck and advance welcome to the fold

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2017, 01:02 AM   #23
Quicksilver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruud Van Driver View Post
Nothing wrong with that at all. Keep in mind that Panerai are supposed to wear big. They are physically large watches and are meant to be a little bit in-yer-face.

Once you pick up a PAM and start messing about with strap options, you'll wonder what took you so long. However, before you bite the bullet, I'd do a little more research and see what else is out there. Most here will steer you towards the Base models, and with good reason. Solid, reliable and you won't lose much money (if any) should you decide it's not for you and flip.

Now, I don't know what your budget is or anything like that but try also looking at a 1950 Luminor with a domed crystal. Given that you have a mild concern over your wrist size, the domed crystal makes the watch wear smaller. The obvious choice here is the classic, iconic and almost legendary 233. It's not cheap brand new at £10,400 but you should be able to score a pre-loved one at much more sensible money. 44mm, domed crystal, manual wind (therefore thinner), GMT, date, eight-day power reserve and P2002 movement (which I believe to be bullet proof but you need an expert to confirm that).

Good luck and advance welcome to the fold

Thank you Ruud.

After much reflection I decided to go with a used but mint Pam 111. My reasoning was that I really wanted the sandwich dial as this is quite distinctive to the brand. The new Luminor models no longer have the sandwich dial. The dial is also I think cleaner without the 8 day designation. At the end of the day I can live without an 8 day power reserve and the modified ETA movement is a tried and tested work horse of a movement. I'm really pleased with my decision, particularly as I have saved a few thousand pounds. Next step is to get a nice black buffalo strap to go with it.

Here are the dealers shots of my actual watch.

IMG_4336.JPG

IMG_4339.JPG

IMG_4337.JPGIMG_4344.JPG

Old 10 August 2017, 03:59 AM   #24
hitman23
"TRF" Member

the 111 is a classic

i love the eta based models. 177 probably my favorite.
hitman23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2017, 04:34 AM   #25
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thank you Ruud.

After much reflection I decided to go with a used but mint Pam 111. My reasoning was that I really wanted the sandwich dial as this is quite distinctive to the brand. The new Luminor models no longer have the sandwich dial. The dial is also I think cleaner without the 8 day designation. At the end of the day I can live without an 8 day power reserve and the modified ETA movement is a tried and tested work horse of a movement. I'm really pleased with my decision, particularly as I have saved a few thousand pounds. Next step is to get a nice black buffalo strap to go with it.

Here are the dealers shots of my actual watch.

Attachment 882127

Attachment 882128

Attachment 882130Attachment 882131

I tried that on I think. Beautiful condition. I went for a base in the end. PM me for the deal they offered me if you wish
Old 10 August 2017, 04:51 AM   #26
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Happy to be part of the club

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2017, 09:38 AM   #27
flintsghost
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 16600
Right now is not a good time to buy anything you would think of as a Luxury Watch like a Panerai. The market is severely depressed. Nothing is selling well except a few Rolex's. The dealers, both AD and resale types are holding their prices. But not much is changing hands except in a few trades. Resellers are finding that they practically have to give watches away in order to sell for cash. Even on the web, it has been noted by persons who blog on the luxury market that the market has crashed. Wait till the prices come down. Also buying a plain jane Panerai base model is not a good idea if you think you might ever want to sell. Stick with models that are more limited that have desirable features.
flintsghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2017, 09:52 AM   #28
mfer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintsghost View Post
Right now is not a good time to buy anything you would think of as a Luxury Watch like a Panerai. The market is severely depressed. Nothing is selling well except a few Rolex's. The dealers, both AD and resale types are holding their prices. But not much is changing hands except in a few trades. Resellers are finding that they practically have to give watches away in order to sell for cash. Even on the web, it has been noted by persons who blog on the luxury market that the market has crashed. Wait till the prices come down. Also buying a plain jane Panerai base model is not a good idea if you think you might ever want to sell. Stick with models that are more limited that have desirable features.
Some of the simple base ones are the best value and minimal loss ones. Be worried if the "special" ones that Richemont will decimate with a future release.
member#3242
mfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2017, 02:06 PM   #29
yaku
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM. 88 rolex..
Quote:
Originally Posted by flintsghost View Post
On the contrary, actually I think now is a decent time to buy if you don't plan on flipping it quickly. The prices are decent and depending on the model you are looking for, there are less people fighting for it. For me, I purchased 3 Panerai within this year. All were brought from AD in HK with discount from 22 to 20% off retail. Given, if you are looking to flip within this year, you will lose about 50% off retail depending which channel you go with. But if you are looking to wear for yourself, its a great time.

As for buying which model, I actually think the base model (8 days) is good because most people who want to venture into panerai begins by looking at base models. If they want to buy 2nd hand, the base model is the one they start with. The limited editions are higher price but at the same time harder to sell later because with the amount of money needed for limited editions, there are more options out there for a brand new watch. Of course this is just my personal opinion from talking with AD's and different grey market people in HK who trade and sell watches for a living.
yaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2017, 02:22 PM   #30
flintsghost
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 16600
ADs in Hong Kong and Singapore have been the largest importers of Panerai world wide according to the stat's I saw on the economic pages. That may be why they are offering discounts. Their imports this year are way down from previous. I personally buy watches that look good to me. Base models haven't so far. I ended up with a Pam 00356 complete set that I bought used earlier this year and my son appropriated. Then I tried a 1392 that I didn't like at all and ended up after I was unable to sell it in this depressed market, trading it for a 244 which I do like very much. Both of my used Panerai's had extra functions and were bargains that there was no competition for. They are both limited editions and fairly hard to find. But both are, for me and mine, keepers that will be in our collection for a long time. But I seriously doubt I will venture into the market again soon. I looked at a 389 that was purchased new by the seller in 2015. He started out trying to sell it at $7900 many weeks ago. It is currently listed at $6200 and going begging. Considering that it retailed at $11000 originally that's quite a hit in this depressed market. And it hasn't sold yet. The classified section of this forum lists many base models and they aren't selling either.
flintsghost is offline   Reply With Quote