The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 13 July 2018, 06:51 PM   #1
Sonzy
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP/Breguet/IWC/Rlx
Why Patek is always slow/late

I’m wondering why Patek is always slow in everything! Watch delivery and long waiting lists I can say that a strategy, long time maintenance I really don’t understand why a watch should take more than 2 months max, but even replying to emails it takes them weeks!!

Does anyone has an explanation?
Rolex: GMT Master II Batman.
Sonzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2018, 07:49 PM   #2
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Old world company and traditions, they take their time
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2018, 08:08 PM   #3
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

I don't know but it was nice getting a "thank you for your purchase" letter from Geneva 9 months after the fact.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2018, 09:05 PM   #4
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Rolex don't even do emails.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2018, 09:15 PM   #5
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I think that part of it is the company's outlook on their place in the industry. I think that they see themselves at the top of the food chain and within reason they march to their own drummer. I have never owned a PP but do acknowledge that they make some beautiful watches. I have always been put off by the size, cost and general service times for such expensive items but have still almost bought one on several occasions. I have been to several events sponsored at my AD by PP and I always enjoy watching the collectors and talking to them. The largest group of Beta's this side of the book club, but with money and an attitude. Very different crowd for the most part from Rolex, Omega, Panerai. Neither good or bad, just different. I always enjoy the passive aggressive remarks downing other brands and the owners when a large group get together and the brand superiority felt by some owners of PP. Not everyone, but many. I do believe that at some point the swiss brands are setting themselves up for a correction both in cost, demand and owner appreciation. But we will see.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2018, 11:24 PM   #6
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

This old world attitude will eventually hurt them. Change is the only way to survive the long haul
ap1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2018, 11:25 PM   #7
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonzy View Post
Patek is indeed far from the company it once was only a few decades ago. Back then, customer service was exceptional as expected for a true luxury goods company. Personal care, you knew the guys and gals in service like David, Francine who helped wonderfully, the front desk ladies, etc. Even sent them a nice selection from Payard whilst they were servicing the 3970er. Seems to me the change happened when H Stern moved locations @ the Rock.

Ah well, was fun while it lasted.

As always, in the end what really matters is that you.... enjoy your time
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2018, 12:36 AM   #8
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonzy View Post
I’m wondering why Patek is always slow in everything! Watch delivery and long waiting lists I can say that a strategy, long time maintenance I really don’t understand why a watch should take more than 2 months max, but even replying to emails it takes them weeks!!

I’m afraid I don’t understand all the constant moaning, first one thread I read says Patek doesn’t finish movements the way they used to, the next says they need to be faster, the next says they need to make more sports SS to meet demand.

I think they are doing just fine, always room for improvement but then nothing is perfect.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2018, 01:25 AM   #9
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Don't worry the next generation will be lightning quick.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2018, 03:34 AM   #10
cosmoliu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP, AP, ALS
I'm very new to the brand, buying a used 5066 just a month ago. It was DOA on arrival in CA and had to go back to the dealer in NYC. Having just had a spa treatment in April in anticipation of sale, he ran it up to Rockefeller Center as soon as it arrived and was back out the door less than a half hour later: the watchmaker attached two small screws floating around loose in the movement. How they became floaters is a major mystery, and of course we'll never know if the watch left the service center in that condition. But you can bet that I spent quite a bit of time grilling the customer service rep the next day. While she, obviously, could not give a definitive answer to the question, I cannot fault either the timeliness of their getting the watch back into service nor the customer service rep's telephone responsiveness. While this episode was an unfortunate introduction to the brand for me, their response to this particular situation seems to me to be in keeping with the image they would like to project.
cosmoliu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2018, 06:19 AM   #11
wulin
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP,AP,Rolex,IWC
Understaffed is the only reason.
wulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2018, 06:40 AM   #12
Justindo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wulin View Post
Understaffed is the only reason.
I think this sums it up. Since the watch explosion of the 1990s, Patek has been trying to meet increased demand and thus quality and customer service has suffered while prices continue to rise. They've been resting on their laurels for decades and this will eventually catch up with them.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2018, 07:19 AM   #13
Burlington
"TRF" Member

I can only imagine it’s quite a slow pipeline to build up a workforce of such highly skilled people.

For these slow moving firms where a movement can be 5-10 years in the R&D phase then a 3 month service wait is probably seen as fairly rapid.

They just have a different time scale than most of us with (increasingly) instant expectations.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote