The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 July 2018, 10:09 AM   #91
Rolex_geek
"TRF" Member

Maybe the stranger was wearing a high grade made in China Daytona and made up the AD story to avoid looking like a total loser.
Rolex_geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2018, 12:03 PM   #92
CLG23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ras47 View Post
A different perspective to consider:

The AD in question recently got you a hard to find BLNR. Getting you a second hard to find watch in a matter of weeks would keep you extremely happy, but they'd lose the chance to make another customer happy. These watches don't show up on a schedule, so when one comes in they go to their list and start making calls. Had you NOT gotten the BLNR, I imagine you'd have gotten the Daytona call instead.

Just a thought...
Interesting perspective
CLG23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2018, 12:32 PM   #93
DESH
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the numbers..
WOW~ so sorry to hear to hear that. My AD would never do something like that.
Old 16 July 2018, 12:41 PM   #94
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
You have purchased a couple of watches from this AD, one being the BLNR which is also a very popular watch. Now you are waiting for your Daytona from the same AD, which is probably the hottest watch presently. IMO, you are enjoying a fairly good treatment from your AD even before the arrival of the Daytona.

The other customer might have spent on a bundle deal with that Daytona which is oblivious to you, or might have charmed the AD enough with something else to make his deal happened. Who knows?
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2018, 12:43 PM   #95
Koala
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 26401RO
just goes to show a lot of AD lists are intangible arbitrary concepts that can be frustrating to watch unfold. Lots of ways to respond, but is there actually a correct responsive solution to enact? I wish you the luck required for success in your endeavor!
Koala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2018, 12:44 PM   #96
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Quote:
Originally Posted by donq View Post
What if the story was reversed?
You walk in to an AD you have never been in to before, and lo and behold, they sell you a Daytona.

A week later the salesman from your previous dealer calls you up to berate you for purchasing from another dealer.
After all, you were on the list! Doesn’t that imply some sort of commitment?

Then he could go on the internet and bad mouth you to all the other AD’s so they won’t sell to you.
Uhh, all that AD needs to do is move to the next name on what is likely a very, very long list.
Old 16 July 2018, 12:49 PM   #97
dafuture
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by envuks View Post
If it were me, I’d go into the AD and speak with someone I know well. I’d politely share the story with them and ask them for their insight on how this could happen. I’d keep the conversation very polite, but I would intentionally make it a bit awkward. That’s just me
Definitely the best way to handle this. That kind of puts it in their head that they screwed up without being too obvious.
Old 16 July 2018, 02:05 PM   #98
Seekthefinest
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN White
I was on the other side of the equation with my AD... Went in to see about getting on a list for the Daytona. Was told 6-12 months, or more if I wanted a white dial. Mentioned a personal connection and they said they would see what they could do with getting me one sooner. Two weeks later called to say a white dial had come in if I wanted it...

So thankful that I was able to get a birth year watch for my little guy, but do know that I jumped the line based on my personal connection, while others had been waiting...
Seekthefinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2018, 04:04 PM   #99
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
It's important that they know that YOU know...

There is little worse in any type of relationship, whether it be business or personal, than being played for a fool. This includes being strung along for a watch.

Communicate this to them as you see fit, even if you don't get the watch or decide to move on.

There is some solace that their bull$hi7 was exposed, which is uncomfortably embarrassing for them no matter how they spin it.

+1 This is what I would do.
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
mickyd329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2018, 05:13 PM   #100
Marciano490
"TRF" Member

Half these posts sound like “I bought the girl flowers and took her to dinner, why’d she sleep with that jerk?” Either get richer or spend more or forge actual relationships because you’re a decent and outgoing person instead of burdening salespeople with lunches and drop ins and acting like you’re doing them a favor by honoring them with your presence.

I’ve been into Rolex a year. I’ve gotten a BLNR, white dial Daytona, Hulk and James Cameron all at or below retail from boutiques or ADs, all without waiting more than the 15 minutes it took to retrieve the watch or answer the phone when they were randomly offered to me. None of it’s been luck and none of it has been strategizing how to use or game other human beings as a means to an end.

I don’t know how some of you have survived this far. There will always be someone more important than you or better connected than you. They’ll have better vacations and cars and send their kids to better schools and receive better health care. I’d worry more about that than some stranger copping “your” Daytona.
Marciano490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2018, 05:14 PM   #101
rudestew
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD SD43 Mk1 50TH
I had to remove my name from 3 x AD ( in the same group ) as I was told this would look bad ? So you stay loyal to a AD and this can happen . I’m sure it happens all the time buddy don’t take it personal , that so called special relationship is a being in the right place at the right time .
rudestew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2018, 07:16 PM   #102
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Can't say I would buy a complete stranger's story. Not enough to go on. Good luck.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2018, 07:32 PM   #103
thedarkknighte39
"TRF" Member

I say crucify them (AD blokes)! They made an inexcusable blunder, treachery to a loyal customer.
thedarkknighte39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2018, 07:38 PM   #104
GSBC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Sounds like a fish story from a complete stranger to me.
This.
Story doesn’t add up. If you were the AD, would you have done the same? I wouldn’t.
These AD’s know what they have when it comes to the Daytona. It’s not just a sales guy offering it up to any random guy off the street.
GSBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2018, 07:41 PM   #105
Stratos
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
I understand that you are upset but I have a whole lot different perspective.

"Your" AD, is anybody's AD.
You do not have any contract with them just a plain "agreement", and not really sure if you can even call it that.

ADs literally begged for our business not too long ago.

Nowadays things are different but still I found it pathetic that things like this, upsets people.

If you are unhappy with "your" AD, walk-in and let them know.
Then take your business elsewhere.
Stratos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2018, 08:15 PM   #106
tkmc
"TRF" Member

i was on a "list" for a sub. Someone on this board called this AD randomly, and they had one, and the AD sold it to them. This person had no relationship at all with AD.

I don't believe in these lists anymore. its a game. i just wonder if this will hurt the brand in the long run.
tkmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2018, 08:19 PM   #107
City74
Banned

Watch: Speedy Reduced
Can’t they sell their merchandise to whom ever they chose?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
City74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2018, 08:22 PM   #108
hambone1983
2024 Pledge Member

until lists are posted in the dealer's window, it isn't anything real.

A while back I was asked if I wanted to be "on the list" for something and I said "Nah, I'm not a list guy. I'll buy it when I can see one, or move on to something else." I wasn't trying to be cute or play a game when I said this, but I have since realized that I said some magic words to that dealer & have gotten some level of priority. I think maybe if you identify yourself as a squatter for one particular piece they know you'll wait while I am viewed like the bratty child who has to be catered to.
hambone1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2018, 08:23 PM   #109
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
My experience is you should vote with your wallet, no point in trying to pursue a discussion. Further, most ADs don’t care. It’s all business.

Go for the timepiece you love. You will save more. ...
Rolexavidfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2018, 08:25 PM   #110
hambone1983
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by City74 View Post
Can’t they sell their merchandise to whom ever they chose?

of course, but then they shouldn't be representing that there is an orderly list that is fulfilled on a first in first out basis.
hambone1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2018, 08:26 PM   #111
GSBC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkmc View Post
i was on a "list" for a sub. Someone on this board called this AD randomly, and they had one, and the AD sold it to them. This person had no relationship at all with AD.

I don't believe in these lists anymore. its a game. i just wonder if this will hurt the brand in the long run.
Big difference between a sub and a Daytona though. A regular sub date can be found easily.
GSBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2018, 08:50 PM   #112
Oscarpapa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marciano490 View Post
Half these posts sound like “I bought the girl flowers and took her to dinner, why’d she sleep with that jerk?” Either get richer or spend more or forge actual relationships because you’re a decent and outgoing person instead of burdening salespeople with lunches and drop ins and acting like you’re doing them a favor by honoring them with your presence.

I’ve been into Rolex a year. I’ve gotten a BLNR, white dial Daytona, Hulk and James Cameron all at or below retail from boutiques or ADs, all without waiting more than the 15 minutes it took to retrieve the watch or answer the phone when they were randomly offered to me. None of it’s been luck and none of it has been strategizing how to use or game other human beings as a means to an end.

I don’t know how some of you have survived this far. There will always be someone more important than you or better connected than you. They’ll have better vacations and cars and send their kids to better schools and receive better health care. I’d worry more about that than some stranger copping “your” Daytona.
Haha. Good post.
Oscarpapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2018, 08:55 PM   #113
watchbowl
"TRF" Member

A lot of drama over a watch. I’d just take my business to another AD if it bothered me that much
watchbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2018, 08:55 PM   #114
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Take the emotion out of it. It is a business transaction for a luxury good. I would not get too far down the road on the word of a stranger and get mad and think about leaving the AD you have been using. It does not mean that it could not be true but how about going into your AD and finding your salesperson and the manager and having a respectful conversation about what reportedly happened. Two sides to most stories and if they offer s reasonable response like he bought a PM watch at full retail and then the Daytona-C for full retail then a different story. Either way, you can get a fell for the store and the ability to get you a watch you want. Ask them and express any dissatisfaction you might have in a non emotional way. It may help get you the watch sooner or not. Either way at least you have both sides to the story and you can decide what to do.
1William is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2018, 09:22 PM   #115
Stratos
"TRF" Member

really surprised by some answers.

too many moaners around.
we are talking about f****ng watches...
Old 16 July 2018, 09:27 PM   #116
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Sounds like a fish story from a complete stranger to me.
Agreed. The OP also has no idea what else he may have bought
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2018, 10:12 PM   #117
kearez
"TRF" Member

At the end of the day we should all know now the "lists" are completely interchangeable. The AD I use told me that the "list" is based off spending the more you spend in a short period of time the quicker you will get the watch you want. Which makes complete sense to me.

For OP's story we have no clue, if bought the watch in a bundle deal or maybe he is a large collector dropped a few references he had from Patek/AP. I have seen this first hand and the AD will bend backwards to get them as customer.

At the end of the day if you really want a Daytona, you can always buy from a grey.
kearez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2018, 10:40 PM   #118
Stratos
"TRF" Member

Also bear in mind that major ADs have stock of all the hot references at anytime.
Old 16 July 2018, 11:46 PM   #119
DARK_KNIGHT
"TRF" Member

Watch: Cartier
Quote:
Originally Posted by konga056 View Post
I'm currently on a list for a ceramic daytona just like probably half the world right now. I've gotten a couple of pieces now from them. And each time I go in they always reassure me I'm still on the list for one. They're always the one to bring up the list.

Last night while I was out with my wife I ran into a guy that was wearing a daytona. We strike up a conversation about how we both got our pieces we were currently wearing which happens to be from the same AD.

He goes to tell me he just recently moved to town. And never having bought anything from them before walked in struck up a conversation about wanting a daytona and then 6 days later they called him asking if he wanted one.

While I'm happy for the guy I'm kinda pissed right now with my AD. Just less than 2 months ago they came through for me and got me a batman within a couple days of asking. But the daytona I've been on the list for a very long time now.

What do you guys think?

- What was the name of the movie, again?

- P.S.

I have not read thru the 3 pages of posts on this thread, only the intro, so there is probably something I´m missing.

Unless the guy you were talking to is the actual owner of the AD, related to the owner of the AD, some political, royal or celebrity heavyweight (or a made member of the MOB), I don´t think an established AD, would conduct business like that. There is more money to be made, by selling to a person on the list (repeat) business..........
Old 16 July 2018, 11:48 PM   #120
Star Ferry
Banned

There really is no list. ADs are not incentivized to dole out desirable watches (i.e. street price > MSRP) on a first-come first-serve basis
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote