The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 28 November 2016, 11:01 AM   #1
Thegr8one
"TRF" Member

Watch: 79090 & 79180
Tudor 79160/79170 Bezel Questions...

Hi Guys,

I have a beautiful Tudor 79180 from 1993 and I am looking to source the bezel/insert from the 79160 or 79170. I really like the black bezel look and I'd like to have the option. I have a couple questions....

1. Are there 2 pieces to this part such as the bezel and insert or is it all 1 piece?
2. Will both the 79160 & 79170 bezels fit on the 79180? My preference is the 12 hour markers on the 79170 but I'm not sure if it will fit the 79180 as it rotates and the 79180 bezel is fixed. Does anyone know?
3. Is it possible to source these parts through an AD? Not much out there on the open market.
4. I also have a some questions about doing the bezel swap but I'll do a search on here first to see if it's been addressed.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Steve
Thegr8one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2016, 10:27 AM   #2
Thegr8one
"TRF" Member

Friendly bump. Any of the big block owners/experts out there?
Old 29 November 2016, 01:23 PM   #3
ILuvSubs
"TRF" Member

I was able to find these threads for you on Google and the search function of TRF (see below links).

Sounds like the issue will be sourcing a new bezel. I suspect the RSC won't let you change it from the original (i.e., they will only let you replace the old bezel for the same bezel (but new) and you will need to give up the original part for the new part). You could try an independent watch maker that has a Rolex parts account and see if they can source one for you.

I have a 79160 and reckon you get a lot of watch for the price. Good luck!

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=469592

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=388735
ILuvSubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2016, 01:56 PM   #4
Thegr8one
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvSubs View Post
I was able to find these threads for you on Google and the search function of TRF (see below links).

Sounds like the issue will be sourcing a new bezel. I suspect the RSC won't let you change it from the original (i.e., they will only let you replace the old bezel for the same bezel (but new) and you will need to give up the original part for the new part). You could try an independent watch maker that has a Rolex parts account and see if they can source one for you.

I have a 79160 and reckon you get a lot of watch for the price. Good luck!

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=469592

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=388735

Thanks a lot ILuvSubs, appreciate the info and links.

Do you know if the bezel and insert are 2 separate pieces or does it come as 1 piece?

It is an awesome watch, just stunning in my opinion.

Thanks again.
Old 29 November 2016, 01:57 PM   #5
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegr8one View Post
Hi Guys,

I have a beautiful Tudor 79180 from 1993 and I am looking to source the bezel/insert from the 79160 or 79170. I really like the black bezel look and I'd like to have the option. I have a couple questions....

1. Are there 2 pieces to this part such as the bezel and insert or is it all 1 piece?
2. Will both the 79160 & 79170 bezels fit on the 79180? My preference is the 12 hour markers on the 79170 but I'm not sure if it will fit the 79180 as it rotates and the 79180 bezel is fixed. Does anyone know?
3. Is it possible to source these parts through an AD? Not much out there on the open market.
4. I also have a some questions about doing the bezel swap but I'll do a search on here first to see if it's been addressed.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Steve
Steve,
1. The bezel and inserts are separate.

2. Although the I've never tried it from what I've read they are interchangeable. The 12 hour rotating bezel adds lots of useful features, my favorite bezel.

3. Typically Rolex doesn't allow you to replace parts not originally intended for the reference. You should visit an AD, doesn't hurt to ask.

4. It's the same as any Oyster bezel removal. You can find tutorials on TRF.

Good luck! In the long run it might be easier finding the exact combo you want since there are many versions out there. Sure love mine.
dP

The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2016, 02:29 PM   #6
ILuvSubs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
Steve,
1. The bezel and inserts are separate.

2. Although the I've never tried it from what I've read they are interchangeable. The 12 hour rotating bezel adds lots of useful features, my favorite bezel.

3. Typically Rolex doesn't allow you to replace parts not originally intended for the reference. You should visit an AD, doesn't hurt to ask.

4. It's the same as any Oyster bezel removal. You can find tutorials on TRF.

Good luck! In the long run it might be easier finding the exact combo you want since there are many versions out there. Sure love mine.
dP
No worries Steve. Although I would always defer to Dan on anything related to Tudor vintage chronographs (Big Blocks, Prince Oysterdate Chronographs, pre- and post-Tiger, etc). Dan has been the font of knowledge and his expertise (which he freely shares with TRF members) helped me big time in locating and owning my own Big Block. Kudos to Dan - a real asset to TRF!
ILuvSubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2016, 02:37 PM   #7
NKflyer
"TRF" Member

Besides the "70" 12-hour bezel that Dan posted above (which using a retaining ring to secure the crystal and then the rotating assembly mounts to that, like a gmt), the "60" tachy bezel itself secures the crystal but the (black or other colors) tachy insert is a separate piece. Not too long ago, I asked a pretty well known watchmaker on these forums about a new insert for a 79160 and he said the part was no longer offered by Rolex, for what that's worth. Regardless, these parts are not cheap and I kinda think you'd be better off just buying a watch with the bezel that you prefer or learning to love the one that you have.
NKflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2016, 11:32 PM   #8
Thegr8one
"TRF" Member

Thanks guys for the valuable info, much appreciated. My initial search was for a 79160 or 79170 but the 79180 I ended up buying was basically NOS at a great price. I couldn't pass it up. I'm in Canada so the availability of these watches is pretty rare.

Without doing any research, I just assumed sourcing the black insert would be my next step. I didn't realize the black insert was so scarce.

The 79180 is beautiful, no doubt, so if I cannot find the insert I will be fine and rock the 180 like it was meant to be. I really just wanted the option to switch it up.

I have contacted a few local watchmakers with Rolex parts account as well as my cousin who works at RSC Toronto to see what is possible. If I am successful, I will let everyone know.

Thanks again to the group for the help. And that "Tudor Chronograph Knowledge" thread was pure gold. Thanks to all who contributed to that and equipped me with the knowledge required to source my new favorite watch.

Steve
Old 30 November 2016, 02:49 AM   #9
Thegr8one
"TRF" Member

By the way, here is a picture of the 79180. I can't take it off or stop staring at the gorgeous silver sunburst dial, it's a work of art.

Old 30 November 2016, 03:31 AM   #10
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvSubs View Post
No worries Steve. Although I would always defer to Dan on anything related to Tudor vintage chronographs (Big Blocks, Prince Oysterdate Chronographs, pre- and post-Tiger, etc). Dan has been the font of knowledge and his expertise (which he freely shares with TRF members) helped me big time in locating and owning my own Big Block. Kudos to Dan - a real asset to TRF!
What did you call me? Thanks for the kind words, mate!

Beautiful 79180, my friend. The silver dials w/ black subs have always been my favorite.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Old 30 November 2016, 06:25 AM   #11
Thegr8one
"TRF" Member

Thanks Dan, I agree, silver with black is the tops.

I had another question, not sure if I should start another thread. What is the main cause of the lume plots falling off? Do they naturally come off if the watch is worn hard or do they come off accidentally during a service? I see some examples with missing plots and I've always been curious as to the cause.

I know its minor but it would bother me if one of my plots were to fall off. Not that I can control them staying put really but was just wondering if there are any preventative measures to keep them there.

For the record, I am a believer of wearing and enjoying my watches so there is no way I will be babying it. This question is more for my information.

thanks alot.
Old 30 November 2016, 07:47 AM   #12
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegr8one View Post
Thanks Dan, I agree, silver with black is the tops.

I had another question, not sure if I should start another thread. What is the main cause of the lume plots falling off? Do they naturally come off if the watch is worn hard or do they come off accidentally during a service? I see some examples with missing plots and I've always been curious as to the cause.

I know its minor but it would bother me if one of my plots were to fall off. Not that I can control them staying put really but was just wondering if there are any preventative measures to keep them there.

For the record, I am a believer of wearing and enjoying my watches so there is no way I will be babying it. This question is more for my information.

thanks alot.
Good question and not sure of the answer. They are so damn small which might be part of the reason. Lume is not their strong suit. Probably the small surface area too.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Old 30 November 2016, 09:06 AM   #13
Thegr8one
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
Good question and not sure of the answer. They are so damn small which might be part of the reason. Lume is not their strong suit. Probably the small surface area too.
dP
No kidding. They are a lot bigger in pictures. They are tiny in person.

Thanks again for the guidance.
Old 3 December 2016, 07:59 AM   #14
Thegr8one
"TRF" Member

Hi,

Does anyone know if the bezel on the 79160 and 79170 is specific to the big block or is the bezel the same as on other Rolex models?

It looks as though I was able to track down an insert for the 79170 through a friend and I now just need to track down the bezel.

Appreciate the help.

Steve
Old 3 December 2016, 08:03 AM   #15
Thegr8one
"TRF" Member

One more question, maybe Dan you can answer.

What on the 79170 bezel allows it to rotate and what on the 79160 bezel keeps it fixed and not allowing it to rotate?

thx
Old 5 December 2016, 02:53 AM   #16
Thegr8one
"TRF" Member

Friendly bump on a couple big block bezel questions. I have exhausted my search capabilities here and other forums. I cannot find the answers to the following questions:

1. Are the big block bezels specific to the watch or are they the same bezel to other Tudor/Rolex models?

2. What makes the bezel rotate on the 79170 and stay fixed on the 79160? Is there some kind of stopper or is it a completely different bezel?

Thanks!
Old 5 December 2016, 08:09 AM   #17
NKflyer
"TRF" Member

As posted earlier… on the 79160 and 79180, the bezel itself holds the crystal in place. On the 79170, there is a retaining ring which holds the crystal in place and remains stationary, and then the bezel (rotating assembly) mounts to that (it snaps into place). In post #5 above, you can see the retaining ring holding the crystal in place with the bezel removed. Cosmetics aside, You could actually wear it this way with no ill effects.

I suspect that the bezels from the 792x0 series of Tudor chronographs may be interchangeable with the big block but I am honestly not 100% sure. They seem pretty identical but fractions of a millimeter matter and the big blocks have an acrylic crystal whereas the later chronos have a sapphire crystal. Maybe someone else can answer for certain.
NKflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2016, 11:29 PM   #18
Thegr8one
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKflyer View Post
As posted earlier… on the 79160 and 79180, the bezel itself holds the crystal in place. On the 79170, there is a retaining ring which holds the crystal in place and remains stationary, and then the bezel (rotating assembly) mounts to that (it snaps into place). In post #5 above, you can see the retaining ring holding the crystal in place with the bezel removed. Cosmetics aside, You could actually wear it this way with no ill effects.

I suspect that the bezels from the 792x0 series of Tudor chronographs may be interchangeable with the big block but I am honestly not 100% sure. They seem pretty identical but fractions of a millimeter matter and the big blocks have an acrylic crystal whereas the later chronos have a sapphire crystal. Maybe someone else can answer for certain.

Thank you for the info NKflyer, exactly the info I am looking for. Appreciate it.
Old 13 July 2018, 08:48 AM   #19
jamestan119
"TRF" Member

anyone know the width of the insert without the steel bezel?
jamestan119 is offline   Reply With Quote