The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 6 May 2018, 07:19 AM   #31
calatravato
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5711/1a-011
Hi! I’m a bit of a newbie at this hobby as well. I picked up a new 5119r at the beginning of the year, and I saw about 25% depreciation walking out the door with it. Love the watch though, and I hope to hand it down to one of my boys, just like the slogan suggests.

If value retention is a concern, would you consider buying used? A lot of that depreciation is realized in that case. If the watches you have your eyes on don’t retain value, it might make sense.
calatravato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2018, 07:24 AM   #32
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bt122 View Post
The average Asian love rolex’s + they love yellow gold. Not rose gold not white gold. I don’t want to generalize but I’m going to generalize.
I was referring to the 36mm aspect, which I think of as more a generational, vs. cultural, preference.

While you may or may not be correct in that generalization, I would imagine tastes vary by region, too.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2018, 07:28 AM   #33
Bt122
Banned

Watch: Ok...Watching
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
I was referring to the 36mm aspect, which I think of as more a generational, vs. cultural, preference.

While you may or may not be correct in that generalization, I would imagine tastes vary by region, too.
Oh ...lol. definitely the 36mm. I know lots of old Asian men. And even young traditional dudes. Has to be 36mm. lol.

Bt122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2018, 07:42 AM   #34
RussW
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5990
That’s a lot of money for a first nice watch for someone of your dads age. And a very nice gesture btw.

If I were you I’d pay the grey price and get a 5711 or a Daytona 116500. Or in fact both with that budget.
RussW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2018, 07:57 AM   #35
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
It doesn't sound like he wants a sports model so I'd look at a classic Calatrava, 5227 is very nice, or a more complicated annual calendar 5396 with Breguet numbers.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2018, 08:27 AM   #36
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

This is a really strange thread!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2018, 08:37 AM   #37
martinr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR16 View Post
This is a really strange thread!

Yes it is very strange indeed. It goes from Patek has poor resale, not good for the next generation, don’t want to buy a lemon, spend 80K on a watch for someone that knows nothing about watches, we aren’t rich, in case you can’t tell I’m Asian, and then the recommendations like get something big for a guy with poor eyesight to buy a grey market Daytona. Weird.
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2018, 09:08 AM   #38
tinygears
"TRF" Member

A cashier’s check for $80,000 is the right move.

Let him buy what he desires.
tinygears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2018, 09:22 AM   #39
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinr View Post
Yes it is very strange indeed. It goes from Patek has poor resale, not good for the next generation, don’t want to buy a lemon, spend 80K on a watch for someone that knows nothing about watches, we aren’t rich, in case you can’t tell I’m Asian, and then the recommendations like get something big for a guy with poor eyesight to buy a grey market Daytona. Weird.
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2018, 10:04 AM   #40
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
For a budget suggested by OP and prefering watches that have strong resale value, I can only think of the Nautilus 5990 and 5726 (obviously all Nautilus retain value well but I'm thinking of a budget of 80k).

Many old folks like the 2-tone Nautilus 5980AR too.

However, all Nautilus are hard to get due to the overwhelming demand, more so as a first watch without prior relationship. Good luck OP
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2018, 10:11 AM   #41
Humble michael
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711 white , 5990,
Hi I would do 5227 rose gold for dad - about 22k us classic will always hold its value with engraving on cover- He will love it ! Then do the 5119 in rose gold on hubby’s birthday. Very thoughtful and elegant. Just mho , james in San Antonio tx
Humble michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2018, 11:05 AM   #42
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Well, maybe; maybe not. There are some versions of this story that make a lot of sense, as a matter of fact.

Do you know why it's so hard to buy a house in Seattle right now? People from China are buying them up in droves, as a way of parking money outside of China in "investment" assets somewhere that the government has to at least have a semi-legitimate reason for seizing it.

If you have a few hundred grand saved, and want to figure out a way to wear $80k onto a plane and out of the country without arousing suspicion, then a brand new Patek is a pretty darn good way to do it...
Old 6 May 2018, 11:41 AM   #43
martinr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well, maybe; maybe not. There are some versions of this story that make a lot of sense, as a matter of fact.

Do you know why it's so hard to buy a house in Seattle right now? People from China are buying them up in droves, as a way of parking money outside of China in "investment" assets somewhere that the government has to at least have a semi-legitimate reason for seizing it.

If you have a few hundred grand saved, and want to figure out a way to wear $80k onto a plane and out of the country without arousing suspicion, then a brand new Patek is a pretty darn good way to do it...
What do I know, I thought this was about a woman that wanted to buy her dad a present. I need a drink.
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2018, 11:43 AM   #44
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
What do I know, I thought this was about a woman that wanted to buy her dad a present. I need a drink.
And you probably believe everyone on a healthcare forum who says they're asking about herpes symptoms "for a friend."

So do I, by the way...

Old 6 May 2018, 12:07 PM   #45
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
How about a 5170P? Platinum. Diamonds. Classic. Beautiful. That's what I'd want my kid to get me, if I had a kid.
Old 6 May 2018, 12:16 PM   #46
kneedeep
"TRF" Member

Really hard to buy watches for other people even family members. Go with him, let him look and try them on. He will appreciate the total experience with you.
Old 6 May 2018, 12:44 PM   #47
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Well this has taken an interesting turn!

JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2018, 02:23 PM   #48
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

3970J and 5070G would be great options under your price range

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 6 May 2018, 03:16 PM   #49
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Exactly what I was thinking about. Same situation here in California and what I gather many parts of the world. I know for a fact the latest Nautilus craze has a lot to do with the new Chinese money. See them on the teenagers driving exotics in Orange county all the time. And me visiting South Coast today....salesperson in Patek (Torneau) spoke Chinese to me...which in fine with me but they immediately identified I'm not part of the new China money with my Taiwanese accent and living stateside since I was a kid. Going to Lange was even more hilarious...both salespeople showing Mainland China guys Zeitwerks and they just kept asking about price. All watches also had a Chinese explanation under the displays also. What a world we live in now.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2018, 05:01 PM   #50
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

Why not go to a Patek AD and pick up a catalog, and give it to your father.
Make up some excuse, like your husband was looking at them.
Then try to subtly ask him which was his favorite in the catalog after a week or two.
MILGAUSS88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2018, 05:30 PM   #51
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Quote:

Old 6 May 2018, 11:35 PM   #52
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
China money with my Taiwanese accent and living stateside since I was a kid. Going to Lange was even more hilarious...both salespeople showing Mainland China guys Zeitwerks and they just kept asking about price. All watches also had a Chinese explanation under the displays also. What a world we live in now.
I haven't been back for a couple years and haven't even seen the Lange boutique yet.

Certainly in the Bay Area you can feel the influence of foreign visitors. Cartier and Tiffany stores here seem to cater to that market quite a lot.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2018, 11:39 PM   #53
codecow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The irony is, my husband has never owned a luxury watch, but by helping me doing research, he now wants a Patek 5119G
I missed this earlier, your husband is a man of fine taste.
Old 6 May 2018, 11:53 PM   #54
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post
I haven't been back for a couple years and haven't even seen the Lange boutique yet.

Certainly in the Bay Area you can feel the influence of foreign visitors. Cartier and Tiffany stores here seem to cater to that market quite a lot.
That would seem a little different from those looking for ways to park money stateside, no?
Old 7 May 2018, 12:36 AM   #55
codecow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That would seem a little different from those looking for ways to park money stateside, no?
Yeah I was more replying to sensui where there was mention of the new Lange boutique having the watch information in English and Chinese down in Orange County. In my area I'd say that there are some retailers that definitely are catering to foreign visitors.

I'm not really up to date on what's going on with watches in China other than the well reported 2015-2016 gift giving crackdown being somewhat relaxed and the corresponding sales going back up.
Old 7 May 2018, 01:21 AM   #56
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Get him a 5711R! He can stunt on people at the club.
Old 7 May 2018, 06:30 AM   #57
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer 1
Difficult question. There are many, many choices apart from Patek Philippe and Rolex. A week or so after I got my Patek Philippe, I was lucky enough to find a gorgeous H. Moser & Cie. They are a remarkable, smaller company, producing around 1200 watches per year. And the quality is second-to-none. I am not trying to sell you on H. Moser particularly, but just letting you know that there are plenty of other choices. Happy hunting on behalf of your Father.

Cheers,
Carl
Old 7 May 2018, 08:27 AM   #58
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
If you want a « high end » Rolex, platinum or gold, you will get killed on resale, only some SS pieces hold value, whereas PP some hold very well, 5524G, any SS Nautilus or Aquanaut, at the 40-80k zone PP will hold much better than Rolex, can’t compare really, the PP which do poorly on resale, the 5960 line comes to mind, and 5146 are a small part of the production, so not good to buy from AD but you can get great deals from grey dealers, new or owned
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2018, 08:36 AM   #59
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendypurchase View Post
He reads a lot about watches, and I know for sure either AP PP VC or Rolex will make him happy.
My parents have money in the bank, but they just want to save and pass down/ for me or my kids. ( We are Asian btw, I assume it's obvious now)

I am nowhere near rich but we do have enough to take care of ourselves.
I don't want to spoil the excitement by just ask him what he wants and I know for sure he will stop me from doing it.

The irony is, my husband has never owned a luxury watch, but by helping me doing research, he now wants a Patek 5119G
Take him shopping one day, don’t say why, go to dealers and try watches, you’ll see what he likes, and after that you can decide which one is best for him, but since it will be yours some day try to get one you both like.
About being rich that has no importance here, but getting your dad a 80k watch is a hell of a great present, no matter how much money you have, very cool )))
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2018, 09:49 AM   #60
sgwatch
"TRF" Member

Unless he is very unusual, I would make sure the watch is very legible. I would stick with time only (or with date), rather than complications, unless legibility is not an issue. I'm finding that is becoming more important for me, and I'm only in my 60s.
sgwatch is offline   Reply With Quote