The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 16 June 2018, 10:31 AM   #1
Protour2003
Banned

Watch: the next one
Thoughts on 5960?

Hi all... Well, my AD came through again. I've read all the posts about waiting lists, and certain watches being impossible to get. My AD called me 2 years ago and said he got a surprise from Patek. A 5711 with Blue dial. Needless to say I jumped on it. Fast forward to two days ago. Another surprise... Black dial 5960 in steel. I think this will be quite the collector piece, since there was only a one year production run and a steel "sport" model. I'm surprised that more people don't talk about this watch. Thoughts?
Protour2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2018, 10:51 AM   #2
A3MED
"TRF" Member

I tried the white dial a while ago. I did not like the bracelet. Too shiny for my liking, reminds me of Breitlings. Useful everyday complications though.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A3MED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2018, 12:57 PM   #3
turborolex
"TRF" Member

I got offered the same watch twice and I passed. It may be collectable in the future, but it’s not a watch I would wear and enjoy. Just my personal view.

Old 16 June 2018, 12:59 PM   #4
SW1
Banned

Small production runs doesnt always mean scarcity...it sometimes implies people dont want it
SW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2018, 02:43 PM   #5
Sam Philip
Banned

5960P black dial had a shorter production run than 5960A black dial. 5960P is not commanding any premium in the secondary market at the moment
Sam Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2018, 10:08 PM   #6
kashb
"TRF" Member

Don't think you can compare the two though. If you want a platinum 5960 there are many out there and at a lot of different price points thanks to its production timeframe and different rrps. The black 5960P just isn't different enough, although it is the priciest of the platinum models.

The steel is a completely different dial and a lot sportier and modern. Add that you have a cheaper going rate, bracelet or leather and its steel (rarer metal for pp, lighter so not top heavy) in my opinion means its a good long term bet. Secondary market prices are around list still and thats with some AD inventory still out there. A lot more white dials out there thanks to the longer run, black is not so.

Think about the complications you get for the money. Once the hype over nautilus subsides in the next couple of years i think we will see some love for other references.

But more than that its a lovely watch dressed up or down, great daily wear. Good luck with the choice, no bad decision.
kashb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2018, 10:56 PM   #7
JJ WA
"TRF" Member

Most of the dislike about the 5960A is due to the shiny bracelet. There are many pictures on forums of owners who put it on leather straps and I have to say that looks amazing. If I had the watch I would do the same.
JJ WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2018, 11:29 PM   #8
Protour2003
Banned

Watch: the next one
Thanks! I agree... The bracelet is a bit "blingy", but I love the head of the watch. I would put a croc strap on it. The AD said the center links are part of the case. I don't think they are correct though, as I've seen pics of others that have done it.
Protour2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2018, 12:39 AM   #9
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

i can say its growing on me. So if it takes people a while to come around it may indeed be collectable, but that is purely a guess. IMO one year was not enough of a run as i do think its the nicest variant of that series.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2018, 12:53 AM   #10
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Not for me, sorry! Shiny bracelet, thick concave bezel, PR indicator making it more busy, annual calendar preferred a perpetual.

Don't think it will ever be a collectible piece even with short runs on the SS model.

Go for the timepiece you love. You will save more. ...
Rolexavidfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2018, 08:00 AM   #11
kneedeep
"TRF" Member

Have never seen the black dial in the wild or at an AD, but every single PP AD I've ever been to has had the white dial unsold. I agree mainly the bracelet holding these back but leather strap can improve the look. It is a thick watch that takes getting used to on the wrist.
Old 17 June 2018, 08:40 AM   #12
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
I have the white dial. It’s a great watch pull the trigger!
codecow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2018, 12:19 PM   #13
PatekSF
"TRF" Member

Watch: what I like to do
Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post
I have the white dial. It’s a great watch pull the trigger!
Agreed. The 5960 white dial is a great daily for me.

I’ve seen the black and as suspected, it’s very illegible ... simply impossible to read.
Old 17 June 2018, 01:25 PM   #14
soundserious
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatekSF View Post
Agreed. The 5960 white dial is a great daily for me.

I’ve seen the black and as suspected, it’s very illegible ... simply impossible to read.
Common complaint for black dial Patek’s, and totally agree. Need different treatment on the hands perhaps.
Old 13 July 2018, 05:35 AM   #15
Viscount1961
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750 ExpII
My daily wear to the office is a white dial 5960a and it’s the most comfortable watch I own. I don’t think the bracelet is too much, but then I prefer steel bracelets generally.

Compare the black face to the white face before pulling the trigger.
Viscount1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2018, 08:45 PM   #16
daveyw
"TRF" Member

The 5960 is a great watch and I fell in love with the dial of the 5960r. For me though I passsed as the overall thickness of the watch was not what I wanted from a Patek. If that doesn’t bother you then you are getting a fantastic piece that I’m sure will bounce back in later years
daveyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2018, 11:31 PM   #17
Starguru
"TRF" Member

Its too thicc. I like the complications but it sits like a hockey puck on the wrist. I wish it didn't have the rotor (it has a power reserve after all) and was 2-3mm thinner.
Starguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2018, 11:39 PM   #18
Tay821
"TRF" Member

Love it. Put the white dial on a black strap and you're good to go
Tay821 is offline   Reply With Quote