The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 11 July 2018, 03:54 AM   #1
tekno
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Snowflake
1980-81 Tudor Chrono “Monte Carlo” - Pics - Help me ID

A friend and contractor of mine bought this watch new from an AD in 1980-1981, one which is still in business. He is calling to see if he can get any records of the sale from him, it’s a family friend of his who sold him this and all his other watches.

I will have it in my hands most likely tomorrow and will take better pics but I am just too excited to wait and ask. He approximated the date of purchase around 80-81, he doesn’t have the box, it’s been serviced by Rolex once.

What do you “call” this watch, and what is the going rate? I have an idea what it is obviously, but I wanted to show you guys and ask. I have been absent for a bit, just bought a LHD Pelagos and now maybe a Vintage Chrono.

Edit*** Also, is this the correct bracelet. I assume it is, just wanted to ask.

tekno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2018, 05:31 AM   #2
enginerd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
If from 1980-81 as you state, it'd be a Tudor 94200, but I've never seen that dial on a watch that wasn't from the early-mid 70s. Rivet bracelet is not correct for the year either. A 94200 would have come with a 78360 and 589 end links.
https://www.hqmilton.com/timepieces/...or+monte+carlo

I would have expected a dial from '80-81 to look like this:
https://www.hqmilton.com/timepieces/...nte-carlo-8662

Post the serial range and model number from the case, bracelet and end link numbers and you'll get more info. I suspect it could be an earlier, possibly 1978-79, model 7149 and maybe didn't sell until 1980 or 1981.

It's not protocol to discuss values here, but look up a 7149 on chrono24 and you'll have some idea.
enginerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2018, 06:58 AM   #3
Gina Marie
"TRF" Member

it is an early 70s monte. it could have been sold in 81....they were not that popular at the time...so it could have sat there. value is about 9 to 12.5. nice watch. i would be interested in it, if for sale.
Gina Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2018, 08:17 AM   #4
tekno
2024 Pledge Member

I’m sorry for not being on the up for the rules, I’m about to read over them. It makes sense not discuss value anyway. We all value things differently, the market is always changing, and it can cause issues when we are discussing things that people are passionate about.

I deal with this on my home forum which is unrelated, but collectible items. I actually think it would help us stay on topic if we did away with the “how much this widget sold for” and “that one”. “Look at this auction, this went for this much” my reply is always, “congrats to the seller and the buyer”. The market is made by the collectors of the items, I am happy to participate in hobbies others enjoy too.

Thank you for the help, I was a bit confused with his date range so it probably is like you guys said, it’s a 70’s watch.
Old 11 July 2018, 08:39 AM   #5
tekno
2024 Pledge Member

Ok here is a good question for you guys. Is it true Rolex won’t service watches over 30 years old?

I know people who I would let work on my old 1986 Datejust etc, but what do you do with something like this for tune up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 11 July 2018, 08:47 AM   #6
05carbondrz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekno View Post
Ok here is a good question for you guys. Is it true Rolex won’t service watches over 30 years old?

I know people who I would let work on my old 1986 Datejust etc, but what do you do with something like this for tune up?

Send it to Rik or Bob Ridley and pay $$
05carbondrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 12:34 AM   #7
enginerd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina Marie View Post
it is an early 70s monte. it could have been sold in 81....they were not that popular at the time...so it could have sat there. value is about 9 to 12.5. nice watch. i would be interested in it, if for sale.
That was my first inkling too, but an early 70s watch sold in the early 80s didn't quite add up to me, so was thinking it came a bit later, but definitely 70s. Admittedly, I am much more knowledgeable with the 791xx series Big Blocks that came after.

Either way, any Tudor with a Bakelite bezel gets my interest.

OP, are you buying the watch, or just doing the leg work for your firend?
Old 12 July 2018, 11:32 AM   #8
tekno
2024 Pledge Member

Of course I want to buy it - if someone didn’t want to buy it I would want to get their head checked. I realized it’s going to be out of my league today. I was hoping it was going to be beat up and I could justify a lower offer but it’s not.

The movement will need to be serviced and it is possible it may need the top Chrono button and tube possibly.

The general condition is pretty great. It’s a beautiful piece. Here are the details, good and bad.

Model: 7149/0
Serial: 844XXX
Year: 1976 maybe - I’m not an expert but I have a chart to reference.

- I take off the endlinks/bracelet and got sick thinking the serial was marked out, I realized the endlinks have been riding the sides of the case since 1976 so I had to pull out the loupe to see what the serial was.
- Wound it a few times and it was moving well... he said it keeps good time (Comparing this to my 1986 Datejust when I started wearing it again, I had to wind it really well to get it moving) I matched it up with my new Pelagos, so I can ask him what time it shows tomorrow and report back. I put a full thirty revolutions on it.
- the Crown looks good, unscrews and works obviously
- I don’t know if the date wheel is working because I think I advanced it 24hrs and I didn’t see it move, keep in mind I didn’t want to sit there and jack with a watch like this too much.
- the bottom Chrono button unscrews easy and works
- the top reset button didn’t unscrew so I didn’t mess with it anymore. He said that he did the same. He mentioned it didn’t work. Maybe it needs a new tube? Maybe a new button assembly? I’m not sure, I’ve never owned a Daytona. I just left it alone and snapped some pics at this point.

The owner has some Tags to beat up daily, this was a special occasion watch he said. Here it is. Sorry for all the pics, I took more than this, I couldn’t stop.

Old 12 July 2018, 11:38 AM   #9
tekno
2024 Pledge Member

Old 12 July 2018, 11:44 AM   #10
wjviper
2024 Pledge Member

Wowzers
wjviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 12:28 PM   #11
tekno
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjviper View Post
Wowzers
Yea... kinda what I said. His wrist is smaller than mine, I had to hold the clasp open to take that picture however he had it on the tightest setting. I could have made it fit. The watch wears big, obviously it is a Chrono. Comfortably larger than any other vintage watch I have put on my wrist.

I like 40mm Subs and GMTs. I liked the 2mm extra on the new Explorer 2, 1mm would have been perfect in my opinion. It made me sad that the re-issued Chrono "Heritage" isn't 41mm, or 40mm vs doing a plus 2mm to the original design. 42mm is a pretty big chrono, however I appreciate the new watch more now. I will go try it on again, I may buy one after I replace my Exp 2.
Old 12 July 2018, 12:58 PM   #12
05carbondrz
Banned

I would do what it takes to get that Watch,You will regret passing on it later.Maybe He would be up for a split payment?
05carbondrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 08:28 PM   #13
edtheaussie
"TRF" Member

Wow - very nice! looks great in the photos :o

I'd sell off my modern watches to own this!

Was your friend in the mind to sell?
edtheaussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2018, 04:31 AM   #14
tekno
2024 Pledge Member

I’m going to try to “make a deal” I have done the sell off this and that too much. I think a split payment may work.

Looking at what the parts that make this watch are worth, my nightmare would be a watch maker damaging the Bakelite bezel, or the dial. Even a crystal is going for $600+.

I’ll let y’all know how it turns out.

Old 14 July 2018, 12:26 AM   #15
enginerd
"TRF" Member

Nothing as cool as the watch you're chasing, but you inspired me to pull out my humble Bakelite Tudor chrono today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180713_082212_resized.jpg (138.8 KB, 96 views)
Old 16 July 2018, 04:34 AM   #16
tekno
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enginerd View Post
Nothing as cool as the watch you're chasing, but you inspired me to pull out my humble Bakelite Tudor chrono today.
That watch is equally beautiful to me, what attracts me to those is the clean simple design.

This find was pure chance, I knew he had it and I have admired it periodically.

I will be honest, I like all the Tudor Chronos in a similar way.

I just read and understand where the “Tiger” name came from now. I was always less fond of the Tiger dial, now even more.