The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

View Poll Results: Would you do it..?.
Trade 23 48.94%
Do not trade 24 51.06%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12 July 2018, 09:51 AM   #1
rmlovett1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
Would you do it..??

I posted this in the regular forum...thought I’d post in vintage to get an all-around response.

I know ultimately it’s a decision made by me, get what you’ll love etc....
BUT...since this would be a major trade, I’d just like to hear others thoughts. Always appreciate this forum for the wisdom

I am a huge Daytona fan and have what I consider to be “Almost” the ultimate Daytona...
I have an opportunity to do a 3/1 trade....3 PM Rolex for a SS Rolex...the Daytona, IMO that’s an ultimate Daytona...6263 Big Red, silver dial, excellent condition, all original, reputable seller, etc...
Rolex I’d be left with: YG DD40 and 16600.
Trading WG GMT, WG DD 40, and PT Daytona.

Thoughts appreciated as always
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 09:56 AM   #2
haven_seeker
"TRF" Member

Watch: 19018N OQ
You have a fantastic collection.

Considering you're tossing in a PT Daytona in the mix, plus two other hot PM Rolex models, I would say don't do the trade.

If the PT doesn't sing to you, I'd say sell that off for what you can, and start banking the rest for a nice 6263.

I think the WG GMT is set to increase in value with the re-introduction through the SS BLRO (it certainly won't go down, anyway) and the WG DD40 is a great everyday watch you'd be giving up as well.

To each their own, but...I sure wouldn't do it!
haven_seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 10:33 AM   #3
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
I’m biased because I have a 6263 .... but I’d start with the math. Excellent condition 6263 Big Reds are going in the $90K range and up nowadays. What’s the estimated value of your watches you might trade? Assuming it’s in the ballpark of the same value, I’d then think long and hard about whether I’d be happy with a streamlined collection of watches, with one amazing vintage centerpiece.

And then ... yes, I’d do it! Keep in mind that the modern watches you’d be trading are getable at any time, assuming funds would be available. Nice Big Reds are very tough to get, and it’ll only get harder.

Any photos of the 6263 in question?
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 10:42 AM   #4
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Watch: where do i start??
Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
I’m biased because I have a 6263 .... but I’d start with the math. Excellent condition 6263 Big Reds are going in the $90K range and up nowadays. What’s the estimated value of your watches you might trade? Assuming it’s in the ballpark of the same value, I’d then think long and hard about whether I’d be happy with a streamlined collection of watches, with one amazing vintage centerpiece.

And then ... yes, I’d do it! Keep in mind that the modern watches you’d be trading are getable at any time, assuming funds would be available. Nice Big Reds are very tough to get, and it’ll only get harder.

+1
agree with Aaron.
Do the math on your pieces you plan to trade. Don't add their retail value, add the money spent on those pieces and see where it lands when compared to a 90k piece.

If the numbers make sense, then I would grab it. As said above, these modern pieces can be had at any time. Vintage pieces in great condition cannot.

PS: I would also like to see a pic of the Daytona in question you plan to trade for
SubKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 10:48 AM   #5
rmlovett1

Quote:

I was in the same mindset:) all original except the bracelet

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12 July 2018, 10:51 AM   #6
rmlovett1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubKing View Post
+1

agree with Aaron.

Do the math on your pieces you plan to trade. Don't add their retail value, add the money spent on those pieces and see where it lands when compared to a 90k piece.

If the numbers make sense, then I would grab it. As said above, these modern pieces can be had at any time. Vintage pieces in great condition cannot.

PS: I would also like to see a pic of the Daytona in question you plan to trade for

Pics added and this from the seller...the seller is definitely legit..

Old 12 July 2018, 10:51 AM   #7
Tom1675
"TRF" Member

I think you do the trade.

I don't think you look at the money spent, you look at the value you would get for them --that's reality. You're obviously not attached to them in any sentimental way and this big red has you thinking.

Also, in terms of potential there is more with the big red...
Tom1675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 11:32 AM   #8
soundserious
"TRF" Member

Gosh yes. You’re getting a good deal.
Old 12 July 2018, 11:38 AM   #9
Phrank

Watch: ♕
Huge Daytona fan myself, and a chance to get a once in a lifetime piece, I'd do it hands down - if any other Daytona models call out to you later, you can find one.

The 6263 Big Red is a watch you put on and never take off....:-)
Phrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 12:56 PM   #10
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richris1 View Post
Pics added and this from the seller...the seller is definitely legit..

Didn’t see any pictures but if the watch checks out, then you should get what you want. If your 3 are worth less than $80K in their current condition, then the financial side seems fair.

The only thing that comes to mind is that honest and legit sellers sometimes make errors. Will the dealer hold your pieces in his safe until RSC gives you a clean bill of health?

If I had the 3 PMs you mentioned and could get a fine, correct and original 6263, I’d do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 01:21 PM   #11
omitohud
"TRF" Member

I would do it. U don’t see too many of those.

I blame it on autoconnect.
omitohud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 01:29 PM   #12
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Looks like a very nice example. What’s the beginning of the serial number?

It’s amazing how many of the 6263s you see that are missing part or all of that 3 o’clock lume plot. Minor point, but interesting. Mine has a little loss there too.
Old 12 July 2018, 01:30 PM   #13
rmlovett1

Update..can do trade for 6265 as well with less out of pocket, so to speak..let 2 instead of 3, PM pieces go for the 6265(shown below)

Quote:
+1

agree with Aaron.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom1675 View Post

I don't think you look at the money spent, you look at the value you would get for them --that's reality. You're obviously not attached to them in any sentimental way and this big red has you thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haven_seeker View Post

Considering you're tossing in a PT Daytona in the mix, plus two other hot PM Rolex models, I would say don't do the trade.

If the PT doesn't sing to you, I'd say sell that off for what you can, and start banking the rest for a nice 6263.

I think the WG GMT is set to increase in value with the re-introduction through the SS BLRO (it certainly won't go down, anyway) and the WG DD40 is a great everyday watch you'd be giving up as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omitohud View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrank View Post
Huge Daytona fan myself, and a chance to get a once in a lifetime piece, I'd do it hands down - if any other Daytona models call out to you later, you can find one.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundserious View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Didn’t see any pictures but if the watch checks out, then you should get what you want. If your 3 are worth less than $80K in their current condition, then the financial side seems fair.

The only thing that comes to mind is that honest and legit sellers sometimes make errors. Will the dealer hold your pieces in his safe until RSC gives you a clean bill of health?

If I had the 3 PMs you mentioned and could get a fine, correct and original 6263, I’d do it.

UPDATE....⬆️⬆️⬆️.... can do the 6265 (both watches shown above) as well, for 2 PM piece trade

Old 12 July 2018, 01:59 PM   #14
05carbondrz
Banned

I feel like you would be settling with the 6265,On a Grail purchase you have to commit.
05carbondrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 04:32 PM   #15
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

As much as I like my Daytona...I wouldn't make those trades unless I was absolutely done with those PMs...very different type of satisfaction between vintage and top modern pieces.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 06:43 PM   #16
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

Too much to lose with that trade. Nah.
Old 12 July 2018, 09:41 PM   #17
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Looks like a very nice example. What’s the beginning of the serial number?

It’s amazing how many of the 6263s you see that are missing part or all of that 3 o’clock lume plot. Minor point, but interesting. Mine has a little loss there too.
I see that the 6263 is a 6.0 mil serial. I think it should have MK2 pushers, not the later ones, but double check to confirm. Maybe it was a transition period. Not a big deal if they were replaced at a service, only that the seller said the watch was all original except the bracelet.

I’d stick to the 6263 instead of the 6265. The 6263 is more iconic.
Old 12 July 2018, 10:09 PM   #18
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Watch: where do i start??
go big or go home. stick with the 6263 if you're already doing the trade. You will regret it later, since the 6263 is the piece you originally had it out for.

I also notices a bit of lume loss at the 3 as swish pointed out. Not a deal breaker, it's actually more common to find dials missing half or all the chaptering lume, it happens on these pieces during service. So taking that into consideration, this piece is in beautiful condition compared to most out there.
SubKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 10:18 PM   #19
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent65 View Post
Too much to lose with that trade. Nah.
Plus not to mention I would never pay top dollar for a 6263 with missing any lume which is a huge deal breaker for me.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 10:53 PM   #20
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Obviously, these are very different alternatives (3 current PM vs. 6263). Value-wise, I would guess around $45k for the pt. Daytona, and somewhere around $22k-$25k each for the GMT and DD. So if you'd buy the 6263 for $90k or so, it's an easy way to get there.
Old 12 July 2018, 11:45 PM   #21
rmlovett1

Quote:
Originally Posted by haven_seeker View Post

Quote:

Quote:
+1
agree with Aaron.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom1675 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundserious View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrank View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by omitohud View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
As much as I like my Daytona...I wouldn't make those trades unless I was absolutely done with those PMs...very different type of satisfaction between vintage and top modern pieces.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05carbondrz View Post
I feel like you would be settling with the 6265,On a Grail purchase you have to commit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
Obviously, these are very different alternatives (3 current PM vs. 6263). Value-wise, I would guess around $45k for the pt. Daytona, and somewhere around $22k-$25k each for the GMT and DD. So if you'd buy the 6263 for $90k or so, it's an easy way to get there.
Many thanks! Very much appreciate all the feedback gentlemen!
After much consideration, I will not be doing this trade...losing a bit too much.
Old 13 July 2018, 12:59 AM   #22
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richris1 View Post
Many thanks! Very much appreciate all the feedback gentlemen!
After much consideration, I will not be doing this trade...losing a bit too much.
Wow, after all that!? Just kidding, but if your heart (and head) aren't sure, you're doing the right thing. You need to be fully committed, of course.

Mine says it's disappointed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Daytona 6263 TRF Portrait 2.jpg (284.4 KB, 215 views)
Old 13 July 2018, 01:32 AM   #23
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
Quote:
Wow, after all that!? Just kidding, but if your heart (and head) aren't sure, you're doing the right thing. You need to be fully committed, of course.

Beautiful
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2018, 01:32 AM   #24
rmlovett1

Quote:

Please stop!!!
That’s a beautiful watch! Always love seeing it! I appreciate the feedback!
Old 13 July 2018, 01:39 AM   #25
Wiener48
Banned

Result is 50/50 - I would trade
Wiener48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2018, 04:26 AM   #26
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
Plus not to mention I would never pay top dollar for a 6263 with missing any lume which is a huge deal breaker for me.
Yup - bummer at 3 o'clock, twice a day
Old 13 July 2018, 04:43 AM   #27
themaninblack
"TRF" Member

It might not be the case here but it’s better to have one watch that you really like and want to wear than three that you don’t.
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2018, 04:43 AM   #28
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent65 View Post
Yup - bummer at 3 o'clock, twice a day

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2018, 04:55 AM   #29
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
I would not buy that 6263 for 90k or more. I agree with Ken regarding the dial.

Mk3 pushers feels acceptable above 6m serial. If that matters.. Personally I think standard manual Daytonas have peaked value wise. There are a lot of watches for sale at current levels and I doubt demand us meeting up. I’d be careful to buy at the moment.
Old 13 July 2018, 05:38 AM   #30
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roh123 View Post
I would not buy that 6263 for 90k or more. I agree with Ken regarding the dial.
Good luck finding a Daytona 6263 with perfect, fully intact lume plots at every hour marker. I'm sure they exist, but it's much more common to see a little loss on a couple of the dots, especially at 3 and 9, where the watchmaker's tool for removing the hands can cause damage. It's minor, in my book, as long as it's not too much. Has very little to do with the beauty of the watch, although we vintage lovers all have our own likes/dislikes, so I get it.

People have been saying for a couple of years that Daytonas must have peaked. They're still going up.