The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 14 July 2018, 04:47 AM   #1
donsidhu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Red Sub
5513 Serif Dials on later 1970's watches

Hi All, I've noticed an inconsistency regarding 5513 Serif dials, between what's written on http://www.5513mattedial.com/Serifs.html and what we've seen being sold. Its seems that there are many late 70's 5513s that have Serif dials, contrary what is written on 5513mattedial regard Serif dials.

5513mattedial states that....

"The production run of the Serif Dials ran subsequent to the Non Serif Dials and are commonly seen in cases stamped with serial numbers beginning in the early/mid 2.0 million range up until about 1973 consistent with cases stamped in the late 3.0 million range to early 4.0 million range. "

Yet I've seen many examples of late 70's 5513s with Serif dials that have sold. Here's an example - if you click the link below you'll see that there are several 1978 5513s with Serif dials...

https://www.hqmilton.com/timepieces/search?q=1978+5513

If someone can shed some light on this topic I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

Don.
donsidhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2018, 08:28 PM   #2
TimeToGo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Anyone can swap dials around.
It doesn't mean that is how it came out of the factory. These sellers don't care about appropriateness, if you like the watch - buy it... If not, move on..

The 5513 matte dial research was not written overnight..
TimeToGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2018, 11:23 PM   #3
donsidhu
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the input TimeToGo. Yes I agree re the research on the 5513matte site - its a great site that offers so much insight. I just feel like the sample size of examples with 1978 5513s with Serif dials is so large, that I wanted to find out more. I've heard of newer dials being put into older cases, but seldom have I heard about older dials being put into newer cases. If you search the net for 1978 5513s with Serif dials, there are so many. And I totally agree with you - if you like the watch, then buy it. I just find it hard to believe that there's not more info out there on these Serif dials on 1978 5513s.
Old 17 July 2018, 01:44 AM   #4
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Nothing is set in stone, and there is definitely cross-over with these dials. The site even states:

"It is important to realize that because Rolex transitioned from one dial to the next over such a short period of time that it is not uncommon to see Non Serif and Serif Dials in watches with serial numbers in close proximity to each other. As such, the above information is more of a guide as to which serial number range you would expect to see each dial."

Just because a 5-mil. Sub has a serif dial doesn't necessarily make it incorrect. Again, it's a rough guide. And yes, it's a great site.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2018, 01:20 AM   #5
donsidhu
"TRF" Member

Thanks swish77! Excellent insight - thank you very much for that.