The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 July 2018, 11:04 PM   #31
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Short answer, no.

The look and feel of the watch is amazing. It's one of my favorite pieces (and no...i didn't spend 40k on it )

The jubilee looks out of place on it, (IMO of course), so in my mind I've got the perfect Pepsi. I may add the Tudor a little later in the year if the secondary prices drop down to reasonable. But mistake...no, I don't think so.

Like the song says, "if lovin' you is wrong, I don't wanna be right..."
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2018, 11:39 PM   #32
rmlovett1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
Short answer, no.

The look and feel of the watch is amazing. It's one of my favorite pieces (and no...i didn't spend 40k on it )

The jubilee looks out of place on it, (IMO of course), so in my mind I've got the perfect Pepsi. I may add the Tudor a little later in the year if the secondary prices drop down to reasonable. But mistake...no, I don't think so.

Like the song says, "if lovin' you is wrong, I don't wanna be right..."
⬆️⬆️⬆️ Same thought. I own one, (not for $40k) and the oyster is my first choice for a modern BLRO. And I Agree wholeheartedly with Larry...except...I respectfully differ, in that I think the jubilee looks great. To each their own!
I have bought WG in the past because they’re the one that has an exclusive dial or colors that are appealing to me...other side of the coin...I’ve bought SS for the same reason (Hulk). But at the end of the day, I buy WG because it’s special to ME when I look at, and feel it....otherwise I would’ve pursued the SS version. I just feel blessed that I can make these choices.
Not a mistake by Rolex, and I hope all who acquire the SS version, enjoy the heck out of it!
rmlovett1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2018, 11:39 PM   #33
Roll the Lex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by REFZ View Post
It happend to the Skydweller as well, first the PM versions and later the TT and SS versions.

Was that also a mistake?

I think the controversy is that the pm and ss Pepsi case, bezel, dial are EXACTLY the same. The wg and ss models at least have different dials on the sky dweller.

You can make the argument that the difference is in the bracelets with the Pepsi but you can add an oyster bracelet easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roll the Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2018, 12:46 AM   #34
RichM

Watch: out now,take care!
I own the WG BLRO and like my friends above, I truly enjoy the watch. I'm not in the least bit concerned that it was released in SS. I also don't believe the WG model was a mistake and I feel the SS model was a stroke of genius on their part. Also by putting on it on the Jubilee and changing the dial to blue on the PM, helps make all three models different enough to appeal to a wider audience.

I do find it ironic that the BLRO bezel did not get a whole lot of love while it was only available on a PM model. Put the same bezel on the SS model, and it becomes one of the hottest watches out there today.

I'm pretty sure, Rolex knows what it's doing.
TRF #139960
RichM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2018, 01:16 AM   #35
T01
"TRF" Member

Don't believe it to be a mistake. The Jubilee certainly differentiates the WG from SS.
T01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2018, 01:53 AM   #36
Starwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona - BLACK
Why a mistake? You don’t see complaints from people that have the 116509 being overly similar to the 116520.
Old 15 July 2018, 02:07 AM   #37
doramas
Banned

The truth that I would not sit well
doramas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2018, 02:26 AM   #38
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Mickol View Post

I do find it ironic that the BLRO bezel did not get a whole lot of love while it was only available on a PM model.
Well said, my friend. Ironic, indeed.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2018, 02:27 AM   #39
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenMichael View Post
I know you don’t regret yours. It’s stunning. But how would you feel if a SS version came out that looked the same?
It won't. They will keep the two different. Look at the SkyDweller, different dials.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2018, 02:57 AM   #40
Vetracer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500LN
I much prefer the white gold Pepsi to the new jubilee bracelet version. They’re not that difference in price at them moment too.
Vetracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2018, 03:06 AM   #41
FinWatch
"TRF" Member

I just Love it—if someone thinks it is a mistake, I am fine whit that. Still loving my Blue Dial Beauty WG! ❤️❤️❤️

FinWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2018, 03:10 AM   #42
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Icon20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 037 View Post
Fair point but why does it have to be about optics and poor form?

What if someone legitimately wants a 126710 for the movement but prefers the Oyster? What if someone wants the Pan-Am bezel but prefers the durability in daily wear of stainless over gold? What if someone wants all of the above but in a lighter weight configuration? Or, what if someone has wanted a stainless BLRO for four years but the white gold version was either out of their budget or they'd rather own three watches instead of one?

I'm confused why the only answer your see is that the owner must be a poser.
We are talking about Rolexes here so all of us are posers with the gen public unless we prove otherwise, so same applies here, if you genuinely prefer the Oyster and can be bothered to source/swap one over then just state that in your pic posts and it will all be cool.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2018, 03:12 AM   #43
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Mickol View Post
I own the WG BLRO and like my friends above, I truly enjoy the watch. I'm not in the least bit concerned that it was released in SS. I also don't believe the WG model was a mistake and I feel the SS model was a stroke of genius on their part. Also by putting on it on the Jubilee and changing the dial to blue on the PM, helps make all three models different enough to appeal to a wider audience.

I do find it ironic that the BLRO bezel did not get a whole lot of love while it was only available on a PM model. Put the same bezel on the SS model, and it becomes one of the hottest watches out there today.

I'm pretty sure, Rolex knows what it's doing.
It's certainly hot, but in fairness, Richie, it is still getting a lot of stick for its colours so not all are convinced.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2018, 03:15 AM   #44
101031-28
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665
I'm glad the new SS BLRO is on jubilee vs oyster. If Rolex does release an oyster version of it, IMO that would be just fine since the new WG BLRO comes on a blue dial. I suppose the similarities would then be between the old WG BLRO and the oyster released SS version, since they both sport a black dial, but as a WG owner myself, I really would not care much. The feel of WG is something SS is no match for. They would be similar in looks but quite different in substance.

Ian Fleming
101031-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2018, 03:21 AM   #45
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

Not a mistake
Buyers should know full well that Rolex might release in SS. They never said they wouldn't

And technically they didn't release exactly the same they released in a jubilee. Yes I know people have retrofitted oyster bracelet onto the new BLRO but it wasn't done by Rolex

brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2018, 03:23 AM   #46
ALF61
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenMichael View Post
Just sitting here thinking. Was the 18K white gold GMT Master II “Pepsi” a big mistake? How will they ever release a true SS original with an oyster bracelet now without offending every who paid the better part of $40K? I like the new SS Pepsi jubilee sure, but the oyster bracelet is still better and I don’t want to have to create a Franken-Watch. Thoughts?

The upcoming COKE will probably feature an all brushed oyster bracelet. My thoughts only.
ALF61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2018, 03:29 AM   #47
SeaAndSky
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 LN
In that watch bezel color I prefer the white gold version. It’s not a mistake to me.
SeaAndSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2018, 04:04 AM   #48
BT1985
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinWatch View Post
I just Love it—if someone thinks it is a mistake, I am fine whit that. Still loving my Blue Dial Beauty WG! ❤️❤️❤️

I absolutely love the blue dial Pepsi bezel combination. It has ruined the SS version for me. Congrats on this it looks awesome!

BT1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2018, 04:13 AM   #49
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Mistake is a big word. Rolex always introduces things in precious metal first and lets it trickle down to less expensive models. Rolex was very aware people were clamoring for the Pepsi bezel in ceramic. They could have put it on a stainless steel case with an Oyster bracelet at any time once developed. There was a media release at the time stating that making the red/blue bicolor bezel is difficult and as such Rolex was reserving it for the white gold model. That may be true, but it doesn't really matter.

The white gold BLRO with the black dial is now "relatively" rare since it was only produced for a couple of years. Personally I think the blue dial makes more sense on a white gold model anyway as Rolex tends to save blue for precious metal pieces. I doubt we will ever see a blue dial on a stainless GMT or Sub.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2018, 04:59 AM   #50
Eric-London
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hl65 View Post
can’t say a mistake but certainly not ideal for anyone who owns the wg. As for the jubilee it makes the watch imho and very glad they released the 126710 on it versus the oyster. If i want to wear an oyster there are lots of options. So for me what a great change up and again really makes the watch special.
+100
Eric-London is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2018, 05:02 AM   #51
Eric-London
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinWatch View Post

Hey brother, you’re killing me with this watch. It looks absolutely fantastic. Congrats.

I can’t find a single piece in the UK.

My AD (WOS from Arum group) are one of the largest buyers of Rolex in Europe and they have zero in the U.K.
Eric-London is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2018, 05:06 AM   #52
eco8gator
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5060/a
It's a great watch...just heavy.
eco8gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2018, 05:07 AM   #53
Loevhagen
"TRF" Member

It was not a big mistake. It was just a mistake.
Loevhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2018, 05:08 AM   #54
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 116600
I don’t think so. The WG is special and certainly feels different on the wrist. I think the WG also has a slightly different appearance than SS does.
watchmework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2018, 05:12 AM   #55
FinWatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT1985 View Post
I absolutely love the blue dial Pepsi bezel combination. It has ruined the SS version for me. Congrats on this it looks awesome!

Thanks!

Old 15 July 2018, 05:12 AM   #56
Fujiman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
That's how Rolex does it, PM models first, then TT and SS afterwards. Doesn't seem to be a mistake so far, everybody still wants them all.
Not "everybody", I certainly don't. I think Rolex has made a series of mistakes this past decade which I why I'm not interested in buying any of their new watches. But I'm sure there are plenty of people who think Rolex can do no wrong.

When I bought my three over the years, I always felt welcomed and valued. I no longer do.
Fujiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2018, 05:14 AM   #57
FinWatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric-London View Post
Hey brother, you’re killing me with this watch. It looks absolutely fantastic. Congrats.

I can’t find a single piece in the UK.

My AD (WOS from Arum group) are one of the largest buyers of Rolex in Europe and they have zero in the U.K.

Thanks! It is just amazing—not easy to find.. Good luck for your hunt!

Old 15 July 2018, 05:47 AM   #58
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Mistake? Eh, it's only money.

Enjoy your time. :)
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2018, 05:49 AM   #59
SG56
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: SD4K
I'd rather buy the wg than the SS one.
They are both gorgeous watches.

No, not a mistake imo.
Yacht-Master 268622 - the chick version
Speedy Mitsukoshi <3
Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAF141C.BA0824 - the chick version

Thank you logan5tx!!! Have to link it. Too long for the signature.
https://www.rolexforums.com/showpost...0&postcount=14
SG56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2018, 11:30 AM   #60
drefrank

Not sure as to the WG Pepsi demand/availability but I do know an AD that has one. If interested please send me a message.
drefrank is offline   Reply With Quote