The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 July 2018, 05:37 AM   #31
ttomczak
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: The Beach
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmework View Post
I was talking with one of the ADs in my area and he told me $250k to get a SS Daytona on the spot. Craziness, I know.
The 200k mark was a number alluded to by mine as well for a ‘hot’ model like the new GMT...

If you wind it, it tells pretty good time
(Paul Newman)
ttomczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2018, 05:40 AM   #32
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttomczak View Post
The 200k mark was a number alluded to by mine as well for a ‘hot’ model like the new GMT...
well that is less annual spend than it takes to get an AMEX centurion card so look on the bright side
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2018, 05:54 AM   #33
TeddyS
"TRF" Member

Watch: sea-dweller 126600
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
well that is less annual spend than it takes to get an AMEX centurion card so look on the bright side

I thought the Centurion card was invite only and didn’t have a specific minimum spend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TeddyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2018, 05:55 AM   #34
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Maybe a lobbyist can help you get one?
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2018, 05:56 AM   #35
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyS View Post
I thought the Centurion card was invite only and didn’t have a specific minimum spend?

invite only and there is also spend requirements to get the invite. Its all part of a formula and AFAIK its at least 300k. spending that much doesnt mean you get invited but not spending that much means you wont.

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/amex-...on-black-card/
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 15 July 2018, 05:59 AM   #36
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
do they like you? IMO spend and the actual relationship are pretty equally important. There are some real tools at my AD who spend far more than me but i tend to get watches before most of them.
I love this
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2018, 06:03 AM   #37
TeddyS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
invite only and there is also spend requirements. Its all part of a formula AFAIK but its at least 300k. spending that much doesnt mean you get invited but not spending that much means you wont.

I was drinking with a few guys over in Jersey a couple of years back and a couple of them had them. I tried to get this info out of them without coming across as a peasant haha. One did say that there was no credit limit and he bought a Phantom drop head and a haul from Harry Winston in the same day on it but didn’t elaborate any further

Old 15 July 2018, 06:05 AM   #38
Mousehunter
"TRF" Member

Watch: AK, SD43, Hulk
It depends is always a great answer. I dropped 14k and was told they don’t have openings on the Daytona list. Dropped another 10, and was told I was 3rd on the SS Pepsi list. Screwed up, could have gotten my wife’s new diamond ring from them and seen how my standing held up.

Honestly I think their hot list is 100k over 3 years or so. It is being a good repeat customer. The lady in line in front of me was one of those customers. Her husband had his day/date stolen and wanted to replace it with a 50k special order.
Mousehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2018, 06:24 AM   #39
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Still easier to get than a black Nando's card.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2018, 06:28 AM   #40
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
do they like you? IMO spend and the actual relationship are pretty equally important. There are some real tools at my AD who spend far more than me but i tend to get watches before most of them.
I can relate.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2018, 06:50 AM   #41
Spartacus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Some nice folks at the AD I visit, I check in every few weeks or months on the Daytona status. I’ve never asked if buying other items will move me in priority, nor have they told me to spend more to increase my priority.

YMMV.
Spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2018, 06:51 AM   #42
ARTISAN
"TRF" Member

Watch: all of them
its all about levels , if you can buy anything without thinking about it ,, your there....
ARTISAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2018, 09:07 AM   #43
SeaAndSky
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 LN
One only needs to spend the designated msrp.
SeaAndSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2018, 09:16 AM   #44
UmichNJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
invite only and there is also spend requirements to get the invite. Its all part of a formula and AFAIK its at least 300k. spending that much doesnt mean you get invited but not spending that much means you wont.

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/amex-...on-black-card/

You need a high level of annual spending (>$250k) for multiple years, with a specific focus on luxury travel and goods.
UmichNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2018, 11:03 AM   #45
Thaiguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona SS, SD43
At an AD in Thailand the other day, there were both white and black dial Daytona Ceramic. I would need to buy any non-sport models for THB 1,000,000 (approx. $30,000) in order to buy the Day-C at MSRP.
Thaiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2018, 11:33 AM   #46
CRM114
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTs,1803, 16610LV
$1,000,000 to $2,000,000 and arranging a date for whoever at the AD makes the "Who-do-we-sell-to?" decisions with Scarlett Johansson oughta do it.
CRM114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2018, 11:53 AM   #47
uniqueMR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: P A T E K
Its not about the how much you spent.
Its all about good relationship, friendship with the owner of Jewelry store.
Old 15 July 2018, 01:08 PM   #48
kneedeep
"TRF" Member

The relationship can trump the spend if you have the right AD and they know you're not a flipper.
Old 15 July 2018, 01:19 PM   #49
AmbSteve
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rlx,Omega,JLC,Breg
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmework View Post
I was talking with one of the ADs in my area and he told me $250k to get a SS Daytona on the spot. Craziness, I know.
That is insane, and I think it definitely depends on the location. I bought my Exp II off an AD in Louisiana, and they called me the following month to see if I was interested in a SS Daytona. And, the Exp II was the first watch I bought from them.
Old 15 July 2018, 04:47 PM   #50
Macnavara
"TRF" Member

Quote:
With that approach you won’t get on the list anyway.

You have to make an effort and if you are a WIS it’s like a candy store and good AD’s love to talk watches so it’s supposed to be fun. All the while they are seeing that you are an enthusiast so no kissing up required.

You have to differentiate yourself from everyone else but you have to do that in life with anything
very well said...and remember that most of these sales reps are basic wage earners so when people barge in to ads demanding stuff because they have money it really doesnt come over very well....i know as i used to work for a very well known ad and always favoured decent honest enthusiasts above ignorant monied a holes.....having said that said i didnt pay the bills....

Nb i also dealt with a lot of very nice waelthy client too....the worst seemed to be upper mid management that perhaps felt still had something to prove.....
Im financially ok now but hope i never forget and treat everyone with the respect they deserve.....this has worked ok for me as im freindly with a couple of ads and have had some hard to get pieces quickly.....but not well enough as im still waiting for a daytona 30yrs later
Macnavara is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2018, 05:01 PM   #51
Swiss Mad!
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Buying grey wont affect the warranty.

It stays with the watch not the owner.

As long as the warranty card has been swiped by an AD and registered to Rolex you will be fine.

instagram: max.parkin
Swiss Mad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2018, 05:51 PM   #52
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
I think spending is part of it but also my AD is keener on selling to non flippers. They have given me the DSB, sd43, 116500 among others but they know I keep them and wear them.
Vivalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2018, 06:20 PM   #53
SilverFoxUK
"TRF" Member

When people say they are calling in to their AD regularly to chat and build the relationship, what do you say is your reason for calling in and what do you chat about? They are in business to sell product so if you repeatedly call in without spending, might they get sick of seeing you? Call in 8 times a year and buy 2 watches...I get how that helps, but call in regularly without buying...I cant see how that helps, but pease advise us non-extroverts how it’s done ��
SilverFoxUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2018, 06:26 PM   #54
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverFoxUK View Post
When people say they are calling in to their AD regularly to chat and build the relationship, what do you say is your reason for calling in and what do you chat about? They are in business to sell product so if you repeatedly call in without spending, might they get sick of seeing you? Call in 8 times a year and buy 2 watches...I get how that helps, but call in regularly without buying...I cant see how that helps, but pease advise us non-extroverts how it’s done ��
ive never called my AD on the phone about anything. I go in person and pretty frequently. Talk watches, try on watches etc. If ive never tried a watch on im not buying it later so they know its translating into a sale of some sort down the line or at least my wish list is getting narrowed as i try different watches.

I also go in for bracelet adjustments etc rather than do it myself as that definitely gives me a reason to go. Its pretty easy to find a reason if you are uncomfortable just showing up.

True story. I was talking 5711's with my AD in march. I was talking about the new dial changes on the blue 5711 and how i liked it as the logo was now like the white dial version, which i prefer. They were shocked i even knew about it as they just got that info on the change from Patek themselves. They already know im a pretty hardcore WIS but even that was something they didn't expect me to be following. After talking and saying i still preferred the white dial my salesman said "want one?". So i bought it. Had that conversation never happened i probably wouldn't have one. I had never requested that watch before and it all came about because i dropped in.
Old 15 July 2018, 06:33 PM   #55
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverFoxUK View Post
It means drop by to see watches, chat with them, exchange some info etc. Make references and introduce your friends to buy from them helps a lot as well. It's not necessary to drop by every week, maybe once every 1 to 2 mths, or even chat on whatsapp. And if your time allows, to attend events or functions host by them. Of course, you should buy some watches as well.

Most of the salesrep have to attend to a lot of walk-in customers that don't buy in the end after lots of browsing, so they might actually be quite happy to spend time and chat with someone that knows watches.

If it's brand boutique, your "clout" generally goes up, but not always, with regular purchases. If you are new, persistence is key. Once they ascertain you are not a flipper but a collector, they usually warm up to you.

Overall, really no hard and fast rules. Others might want to chime in as I think the regulars here buy a lot more Rolex than me.

Or if this sounds too much trouble, just pay the premium and buy from GD. You can get it immediately and no waiting. Life is short.

Good luck.
Old 15 July 2018, 07:33 PM   #56
TeddyS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Still easier to get than a black Nando's card.

Forget a Daytona or a centurion card. A black Nando’s card would actually complete my life, fact

Old 15 July 2018, 08:00 PM   #57
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyS View Post
Forget a Daytona or a centurion card. A black Nando’s card would actually complete my life, fact

I just can't do Nando's, my sister loves it and always wants to go but I still can't get over how they don't bring the cutlery or a server to your table for chicken priced at £10.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2018, 08:22 PM   #58
jaySL350
"TRF" Member

Watch: BBG,Hulk,16013,DJB
Quote:
With that approach you won’t get on the list anyway.

You have to make an effort and if you are a WIS it’s like a candy store and good AD’s love to talk watches so it’s supposed to be fun. All the while they are seeing that you are an enthusiast so no kissing up required.

You have to differentiate yourself from everyone else but you have to do that in life with anything
the above,,,
spent an extra good hour or so showing pics to SA when i collected my GMT,,,,,
I totally believe that most ADs and there SA will know a enthusiast within 10 minutes of chatting,,,,
Thats the sort of thing that helps towards getting the "must have" pieces,,
I imagine the same sort of thing when establishing if the person is a flipper or not,,,,,,,
jaySL350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2018, 08:58 PM   #59
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
In the end of the day going grey is better for your wallet rather than buying less desired models for full mrsp to get on a list
Old 15 July 2018, 09:01 PM   #60
c007
Banned

It depends on your Ad and the kind of relationship you establish with your Ad.
c007 is offline   Reply With Quote