The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!! > eBay & Internet Sales WatchOut

Old 17 June 2018, 02:06 PM   #391
kingSubTT
"TRF" Member

Watch: SmurfDaytonaBLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by 037 View Post
The pillow was missing but the warranty card and a handwritten note from the seller remained. It wouldn't be logical for the seller to scam the buyer but not keep the card and include a handwritten note that authorities could later use as evidence. However, swiping the watch while attached to the pillow is certainly plausible, especially given the dirty fingerprints found on the Rolex box as reported by the buyer.

I agree that it doesn't look good for the UPS Store given what's transpired and what you've reported about that particular franchise location. But, we're still low on evidence all-around. It's getting interesting though.

The mystery might be answered at the UPS Store but there's no smoking gun (yet) pointing to it being the seller. All we know right now is that there's a weight discrepancy and the watch didn't make it from point A to point B. Anything beyond that is speculation, even with the weights not adding up.

There's no reason for a UPS Store employee (who isn't a UPS employee) to ever inspect package contents for insurance purposes. It would have been handled to pack it per the seller's account of what happened but there's no reason why the UPS Store would have needed to access the contents of the Rolex box. Someone removing it at the seller's home doesn't make much sense, either. A Rolex box is noticeably lighter without a watch inside, plus the seller certainly would have found it by now and informed us of the oversight.

I think you need to look at this with less bias towards the seller. We don't yet know who is at fault. Both the buyer and seller could be 100% innocent. Heck, for all we know the buyer and seller are in cahoots and plan to split the payout 50/50. See how ridiculous things can get when you prejudge an outcome?
Buyer, seller and ups store employee. 33% each :)
Old 17 June 2018, 02:59 PM   #392
htbilgic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Doxa Pro 300 NoT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Arizona View Post
No kidding....USPS Registered Mail only.
I also recommend using USPS Registered Mail. It's veeery slow, but it's reliable. I had zero issues with it.
htbilgic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2018, 11:16 PM   #393
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Arizona View Post
No kidding....USPS Registered Mail only.
Many of the big watch sellers here on forum use FedEx overnight insured by Parcelpro. But I would guarantee they package up the watch in their own 4 walls, and certainly NOT in front of any FedEx employees who would know the contents. When shipping watches that are valued at 10K, 20K,30K or more discretion is an absolute must. The shipping company has no right to demand to know what is in the box. I would hope the police dept. dusted those fingerprints found on the box as part of their investigation.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2018, 03:14 AM   #394
cajunron
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega Seamaster PO
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
He seemed quite accommodating when it was mentioned, he might still do it. You’re not out of line in any way, others live in their dream world (as we’ve seen multiple times in this thread) and want to ignore facts. In this instance, to act as if the OP didn’t willingly say he would do this. It’s not like you’re requesting this out of the blue, I’m curious to see if he follows through on it too.
But he filed a police report right away! That makes him an honest person!
Old 18 June 2018, 03:35 AM   #395
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunron View Post
But he filed a police report right away! That makes him an honest person!
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2018, 04:35 AM   #396
jvmartin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by htbilgic View Post
I also recommend using USPS Registered Mail. It's veeery slow, but it's reliable. I had zero issues with it.
Ive had a registered package not turn up after being scanned at the Los Angeles sort facility... the worst thing about it was since they have such a large delivery window, nothing was looked into for weeks after it stopped moving... IMHO the best way to ship is FedEx... double boxed with tamper-evident seals/tape... insured through a 3rd party which specializes in watches and jewelry... priority overnight... packaged at home/office... with scan done and receipt in hand... and even then its still not 100%... I have driven 8 hours for a F2F... of course, it was worth my while...

Last edited by jvmartin; 18 June 2018 at 04:45 AM.. Reason: incorrect word
jvmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2018, 04:43 AM   #397
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvmartin View Post
Ive had a registered package not turn up after being scanned at the Los Angeles sort facility... the worst thing about it was since they have such a large delivery window, nothing was looking into for weeks after it stopped moving... IMHO the best way to ship is FedEx... double boxed with tamper-evident seals/tape... insured through a 3rd party which specializes in watches and jewelry... priority overnight... packaged at home/office... with scan done and receipt in hand... and even then its still not 100%... I have driven 8 miles for a F2F... of course, it was worth my while...
That about covers it but I would also check weight independently before drop off and on receipt printout. The more proactive the shipper the less chance you'll be taken advantage of by shipping company and buyer.
CorradoBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2018, 05:43 AM   #398
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvmartin View Post
Ive had a registered package not turn up after being scanned at the Los Angeles sort facility... the worst thing about it was since they have such a large delivery window, nothing was looked into for weeks after it stopped moving... IMHO the best way to ship is FedEx... double boxed with tamper-evident seals/tape... insured through a 3rd party which specializes in watches and jewelry... priority overnight... packaged at home/office... with scan done and receipt in hand... and even then its still not 100%... I have driven 8 hours for a F2F... of course, it was worth my while...
Hopefully your registered USPS package had insurance, as it is very affordably priced. When sending a watch to RSC, they will only accept USPS Registered.
Old 18 June 2018, 05:49 AM   #399
jvmartin
"TRF" Member

Bought Rolex but received Empty Box--HELP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
Hopefully your registered USPS package had insurance, as it is very affordably priced. When sending a watch to RSC, they will only accept USPS Registered.

It was actually incoming to me... it was indeed insured so I received my money back... but I really wanted the watch instead... I have received dozens of USPS registered shipments since but I definitely wanted it known that no shipment is without its risks... the best you can do is package securely, be discreet as possible, and always insure...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jvmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2018, 10:28 AM   #400
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Heck, they'll even send a prepaid label and box if you're nice. If you're really nice they'll even include brown pilfer-proof tape and instructions on how to pack everything for shipment. If you say 'please' and 'thank-you' during the call then they include a small pamphlet on how the Rolex service process works and what to expect.

Joking aside, you are correct. They do expect registered mail and thankfully make the process quite easy.

This thread is long. This is post #400.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2018, 10:30 AM   #401
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 037 View Post

This thread is long.
It's the thread that keeps on giving.
Old 19 June 2018, 02:42 AM   #402
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
You are polite to respond, but his post was a collection of unsubstantiated drivel, and not worth the time to type your response.

F2F is dangerous as well. Robberies happen in those. There’s nothing wrong with shipping the watch. Most online transactions are conducted that way.

I think you and the seller would be wise to step away for some time. Post updates when you know something new, but stay out of the fray on this thread.
Been following this thread, unfortunate on many levels. This response, however, is spot on
mps354 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 11:22 AM   #403
Humble michael
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711 white , 5990,
Exactly
Humble michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 10:59 PM   #404
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Damn, just saw this thread. Sorry for the loss. I need a TL;DR summary as 14 pages of posts is more than I think I want to invest.
Old 21 June 2018, 11:02 PM   #405
Ripcode
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Icon5

Any updates OP?
Ripcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 12:23 AM   #406
Gtecko
"TRF" Member

sorry to hear about this crazy transaction, quite curious after 14 pages to read what is going to happen with the investigation.

Thanks for the laughers guys, some really don't have anything else to do but comment on others post and give their wonderful (unwanted) opinions haha you gotta love the internet !
Gtecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2018, 12:15 AM   #407
Johny
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub 16610Lv
Any update on this?
Old 28 June 2018, 01:28 AM   #408
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johny View Post
Any update on this?
good call.

this is the deathstar scenario i'd like to see resolved.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2018, 01:53 AM   #409
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

Yes, curious to know too. UPS should have completed their initial contact and investigation into the UPS Store regarding the weight discrepancies.
Old 28 June 2018, 04:23 AM   #410
yxc145
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD,JC, BLNR, Ex2
I had sort of of similar situation happened with a cellphone transaction.
Sold a phone, buyer claimed the phone was defective(but it wasn't). Ebay refunded him the money. Buyer took 3 weeks to do the return shipment. I got an empty box. Ebay later ruled that there is something abnormal about the buyer and transaction. They paid me back out of their own pocket.
Good luck to both of you.
yxc145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2018, 06:44 AM   #411
Ballzzz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Update?
Old 29 June 2018, 12:09 AM   #412
Tourbeon
"TRF" Member

I read through half the thread and it is an unfortunate situation and hope it gets resolved. Without sounding too brash I also want to know, in a sense, who did it
Tourbeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2018, 02:42 AM   #413
helo008
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT, Tank Solo
Hi everyone,

I'd love to be able to offer good news, but as of yet there are still no updates. A week and a half ago a regional UPS investigator came to inspect and take pictures of the package, and he has told me that he has gathered all the information from the receiving end (there is another investigator at the sending end) and submitted it to the claims handler. He is not sure about when a decision will be made, although he expects it will likely happen in the next several weeks.

As the receiver and not the shipper UPS does not keep me in the loop, but the investigator was great and has made himself fully available to me if I ever want to check on the status of the claim.

I'll be sure to keep you all fully updated as soon as there are developments on my end.
helo008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2018, 03:02 AM   #414
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

Did investigator comment informally on the weight discrepancies and if further weight checks are taken during transport.
This is one of the frustrating aspects of shipping. Even if you pay its the shipper who remains in contact with the shipping company putting the buyer at some disadvantage.
Hope it all works out in your favor. Still enjoying the new watch?
Old 6 July 2018, 10:45 PM   #415
Ripcode
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Thanks for the update OP.
Ripcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2018, 08:20 AM   #416
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingPlaces View Post
This has aways been fear of mine, only work with established and highly credible sellers.

+1. Who buys a relatively common watch (ie not unique or vintage) from a one off guy? Just buy from an established place.
GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2018, 08:58 AM   #417
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGGMT View Post
+1. Who buys a relatively common watch (ie not unique or vintage) from a one off guy? Just buy from an established place.
Problem is there are more one off flippers recently selling new watches here, some don't know better to stick with the big power sellers and things go bad.
Myself personally only stick with the guys that have been here close to 10 years and with 30K+ posts.
Old 8 July 2018, 02:42 PM   #418
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Quote:
Problem is there are more one off flippers recently selling new watches here, some don't know better to stick with the big power sellers and things go bad.

Myself personally only stick with the guys that have been here close to 10 years and with 30K+ posts.

I think we’re saying the same thing.
GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2018, 04:40 PM   #419
gringtito514
"TRF" Member

Watch: None Yet....
Hey OP sorry about the tragic event. Any new updates u can share with us?

Quote:
Originally Posted by helo008 View Post
Hi everyone,

I'd love to be able to offer good news, but as of yet there are still no updates. A week and a half ago a regional UPS investigator came to inspect and take pictures of the package, and he has told me that he has gathered all the information from the receiving end (there is another investigator at the sending end) and submitted it to the claims handler. He is not sure about when a decision will be made, although he expects it will likely happen in the next several weeks.

As the receiver and not the shipper UPS does not keep me in the loop, but the investigator was great and has made himself fully available to me if I ever want to check on the status of the claim.

I'll be sure to keep you all fully updated as soon as there are developments on my end.
gringtito514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 03:14 AM   #420
yxc145
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD,JC, BLNR, Ex2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGGMT View Post
Quote:
Even the well established sellers had to start somewhere, right? I guess the only way private sellers can sell a watch is face to face or to one of the established guys..
yxc145 is offline   Reply With Quote