The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 16 June 2018, 12:38 PM   #1
kruplyn143
"TRF" Member

Buying Pre Owned With Box & papers - No Hang tag

Am planning to buy a Patek Pre owned with box, papers, stylus and NO hang tag. Will No hang tag matter when I decide to sell in the future? Thanks.
kruplyn143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2018, 12:40 PM   #2
soundserious
"TRF" Member

No won’t make a significant difference imo.
Old 16 June 2018, 12:50 PM   #3
turborolex
"TRF" Member

Doesn’t make a difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 16 June 2018, 12:59 PM   #4
kruplyn143
"TRF" Member

Thank you for your inputs.
Old 16 June 2018, 02:03 PM   #5
kruplyn143
"TRF" Member

The watch has no cardboard outer box also . The box comes with the Patek cloth. Will it make a difference with no outer cardboard box aside from no hang tag?
Old 16 June 2018, 02:08 PM   #6
watchtabs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by engpa View Post
The watch has no cardboard outer box also . The box comes with the Patek cloth. Will it make a difference with no outer cardboard box aside from no hang tag?
Nope.

watchtabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2018, 02:22 PM   #7
turborolex
"TRF" Member

If you want, you can buy the outer cardboard box from eBay. I wouldn’t bother really.

Old 16 June 2018, 02:28 PM   #8
kruplyn143
"TRF" Member

Thank you very much.
Old 16 June 2018, 04:49 PM   #9
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Am planning to buy a Patek Pre owned with box, papers, stylus and NO hang tag. Will No hang tag matter when I decide to sell in the future? Thanks.
What’s a PP hang tag, never had one on any of my PP’s.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2018, 08:34 PM   #10
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
No for either.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2018, 10:56 PM   #11
SW1
Banned

You buying a lot of watches preowned with papers a box and no hangtags...a Patek here and i am sure a thread in Rolex section
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=610703
SW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2018, 04:03 AM   #12
soundserious
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
What’s a PP hang tag, never had one on any of my PP’s.
Really?
Old 17 June 2018, 05:40 AM   #13
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

The Patek hang tag has the watch reference and movement numbers printed on it. However similar to a Rolex hang tag, most ADs don't always pass it on to the watch purchaser.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2018, 07:31 AM   #14
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

is it really a hang tag if it never actually hung on anything? All mine are still wrapped in plastic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2371.jpg (73.2 KB, 265 views)
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2018, 07:35 AM   #15
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW1 View Post
You buying a lot of watches preowned with papers a box and no hangtags...a Patek here and i am sure a thread in Rolex section
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=610703
weird
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 17 June 2018, 09:46 AM   #16
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundserious View Post
Really?
No, pieces have always been ordered in for me, I/my wife have opened all of them (5 pieces) with the AD (one at the Geneva Salon after being taken by the AD) and never even seen a tag with my pieces! I have the brown boxes for 5 pieces and had to slit the brown box sticker to open them.
I’ve seen them in the AD window where the dealer takes the sticker off the brown box and puts it on a dealer Patek tag but I didn’t think these don’t came with the piece, they are dealer tags for window displayed pieces - is this what everyone is talking about?
Old 17 June 2018, 12:56 PM   #17
SW1
Banned

All mine came with hangtags and its sealed along with the pusher and watch
Old 17 June 2018, 01:00 PM   #18
soundserious
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No, pieces have always been ordered in for me, I/my wife have opened all of them (5 pieces) with the AD (one at the Geneva Salon after being taken by the AD) and never even seen a tag with my pieces! I have the brown boxes for 5 pieces and had to slit the brown box sticker to open them.
I’ve seen them in the AD window where the dealer takes the sticker off the brown box and puts it on a dealer Patek tag but I didn’t think these don’t came with the piece, they are dealer tags for window displayed pieces - is this what everyone is talking about?
Not really sure but all my watches have had small brown or maroon plastic “hangtags” with the model number and I believe the serial number. Similar to Rolex.
Old 17 June 2018, 03:13 PM   #19
Oryx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The swing tags are in the sealed transport box along with the box. Either as a separate part of the packaging (for watches with a leather strap) that the watch is in (small extension to the packaging) or in a separate compartment in the white foam packaging for Nautilus models.

PP boutiques do not met customers take these away however I think ADs generally do leave them with the watch
Oryx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2018, 05:30 PM   #20
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oryx View Post
The swing tags are in the sealed transport box along with the box. Either as a separate part of the packaging (for watches with a leather strap) that the watch is in (small extension to the packaging) or in a separate compartment in the white foam packaging for Nautilus models.

PP boutiques do not met customers take these away however I think ADs generally do leave them with the watch
I will have to look in my brown boxes again - as I say I have personally sliced open a number of boxes (5131R and 5711P) with a scalpel (to preserve) the box and not aware I had hang tags included.
Old 17 June 2018, 05:34 PM   #21
Oryx
"TRF" Member

My AD kept the swing tag for my 5131R but I think I have it for my 5976G

For all “regular” refs I defo have them
Oryx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2018, 06:40 PM   #22
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I will have to look in my brown boxes again - as I say I have personally sliced open a number of boxes (5131R and 5711P) with a scalpel (to preserve) the box and not aware I had hang tags included.

The brown boxes are far more valuable than a hang tag

Old 17 June 2018, 07:24 PM   #23
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
The brown boxes are far more valuable than a hang tag

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2018, 07:46 PM   #24
MCMartiny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lange & Patek
Swing tag, brown shipping box etc? I am not sure why people have started obsessing about these things lately. Unless you plan to flip the watch at a later date as un-worn NOS, I don't think these things really matter for resale value (nor for enjoyment of the watch). Seems this focus on these small peripheral things have become the latest WIS OCD syndrome. What is the next thing? Trying to get the small pieces of clear plastic that is pealed off the watch / clasp when you buy it?

In my case even the very nicely done Patek wood boxes (and Patek pushers) just end up stored at the back of my cupboard. Now, I know that the wood box supposedly helps resale value as you can sell as a complete set together with the Certificate of Origin. However, if you buy watches to wear and enjoy them then the only thing that really has practical value is something like the Patek leather travel roll (my AD told me that this is now included with all new Pateks which if true is a great development)
MCMartiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2018, 07:52 PM   #25
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCMartiny View Post
Swing tag, brown shipping box etc? I am not sure why people have started obsessing about these things lately. Unless you plan to flip the watch at a later date as un-worn NOS, I don't think these things really matter for resale value (nor for enjoyment of the watch). Seems this focus on these small peripheral things have become the latest WIS OCD syndrome. What is the next thing? Trying to get the small pieces of clear plastic that is pealed of the watch / clasp when you buy it?

In my case even the very nicely done Patek wood boxes (and Patek pushers) just end up stored at the back of my cupboard. Now, I know that the wood box supposedly helps resale value as you can sell as a complete set together with the Certificate of Origin. However, if you buy watches to wear and enjoy them then the only thing that really has practical value is something like the Patek leather travel roll (my AD told me that this is now included with all new Pateks which if true is a great development)
personally i just like to have all the stuff even though i dont need it. My AD accidentally gave me a DJ booklet with my BLRO. I went back to get the correct book. Why? I have no idea as im never going to even open it. So none of it makes sense, but it made me feel better knowing i had a correct full set.
Old 17 June 2018, 08:15 PM   #26
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCMartiny View Post
Swing tag, brown shipping box etc? I am not sure why people have started obsessing about these things lately. Unless you plan to flip the watch at a later date as un-worn NOS, I don't think these things really matter for resale value (nor for enjoyment of the watch). Seems this focus on these small peripheral things have become the latest WIS OCD syndrome. What is the next thing? Trying to get the small pieces of clear plastic that is pealed of the watch / clasp when you buy it?

I agree it’s gotten a little out of hand. But it is clear that from a resale perspective people like complete sets. Personally, I wouldn’t consider the hang tag critical like I would the box/papers. But nonetheless others may feel differently. I do prefer to buy new and I’d expect everything that comes with the watch but I’m not obsessing over the fact that my AD won’t give out the brow boxes.

Now a travel roll would be nice though. I heard about this on the forum. Didn’t get one with my purchase last month, but again... I’m not stressing about it.

Old 17 June 2018, 10:00 PM   #27
tng11
"TRF" Member

I couldn't care less about the hangtag, it's simply a "nice to have".

When my 5990 arrived I noticed that the hangtag was missing - the AD had unsealed the watch and shipped it to me. But then I also noticed the stylus was missing, which I was not okay with. Turns out the AD had left both the hangtag and stylus in the plastic bag when they unsealed the watch, and thankfully it was still sitting at the AD in the brown box. I think I was lucky I caught it before garbage day...
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2018, 12:11 AM   #28
SW1
Banned

I just like stuff20180617_170251.jpeg20180617_170153.jpeg

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
Old 18 June 2018, 12:17 AM   #29
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW1 View Post
I just like stuffAttachment 960054Attachment 960055

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
that is awesome. My tally remains normal full sets w/o cardboard shipping boxes and zero... yes Zero swag minus one PP loupe.
Old 18 June 2018, 12:23 AM   #30
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
that is awesome. My tally remains normal full sets w/o cardboard shipping boxes and zero... yes Zero swag minus one PP loupe.
Wow... Even a pleb like me has the loupe, three travel cases (one service, two Phase de Lune), gloves and a golf umbrella!
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote