The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 2 June 2020, 02:06 AM   #91
Oyster Sauce
"TRF" Member

Best wishes!
Oyster Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2020, 07:26 AM   #92
solesman
"TRF" Member

Congrats on your new DJ 36mm OP!! I have followed this thread with great interest. Initially I wanted the blue, then the black, then the silver. I saw the blue in the metal and was a little meh (no offence to any owners) the black was nice but had almost a brown tinge in bright light? I'm yet to see silver in the flesh but it looks amazing and very different in your shots. I was worried it would lack contrast against the case and bracelet but it still pops nicely. Decisions decisions. I have a 14060m too, but sold my Speedy 3592.50. I agree your blue dial should be an AP or PP Nautilus.

Please feel free to post more shots your new Datejust. It's helping me decide.
solesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2020, 07:52 AM   #93
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by solesman View Post
Congrats on your new DJ 36mm OP!! I have followed this thread with great interest. Initially I wanted the blue, then the black, then the silver. I saw the blue in the metal and was a little meh (no offence to any owners) the black was nice but had almost a brown tinge in bright light? I'm yet to see silver in the flesh but it looks amazing and very different in your shots. I was worried it would lack contrast against the case and bracelet but it still pops nicely. Decisions decisions. I have a 14060m too, but sold my Speedy 3592.50. I agree your blue dial should be an AP or PP Nautilus.

That's my problem with the Black (my top choice if I decided this reference) is that I didn't like photos of it in sunlight, but otherwise looks great.

I also wish the bracelet was all brushed but can't have it all I guess.
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2020, 10:52 AM   #94
Ramiks
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex and others
Quote:

Many thanks my friend.

Like yourself, I was in between dials, and models, so I hope you don't mind if I share my story and experience, as I spent significant amount of time looking for the perfect watch, so I watched many reviews, read several articles and tried models from different brands.

Initially I was looking for a small and comfortable watch for daily use, then my list of demands and criteria increased, now I want everything! And reached a point where the only watch that checks all the boxes is the H. Moser Swiss Icons Watch

Long story short I ended up with the Datejust! But again the number of configurations, between bracelets, bezels, dials and metals, made me feel lost again, however the quintessential rule, and frankly the budget, reduced the options to the dial colour only.

At the store I followed a simple rule that I personally missed during all of this which is...

Well let me explain what happened that day...

That morning I went to the AD and waited for 45mn outside the store under the sun due to curfew, as the store policy is to accept only 2 customers at a time. After all the waiting I found only one piece (with Jubilee, Fluted Bezel and stick markers), then after the salesman looked into the system he redirected me to another branch.

So I drove to the next branch and I had to wait again, this time for an hour, but I was lucky to find and compare all 3 different dials side by side, the black looks gorgeous at first sight, but when I saw the blue my heart skipped a beat, then I contemplated with the silver dial. The elevated markers looked as if they are part of one sculpture with the dial and not fixed on it, also when I tilted my hand those dark shades on markers side, and because of the mirror polishing, make it look as if they are painted, add to this the sunburst finishing with a hue of champaign is so nostalgic to me, and reminded me of watches from 80s. At that moment I smiled!

Here I remembered my typical answer to my friends, when they ask me what is the best watch, being the watch expert :
"The one that makes you smile"

Anyway, the search journey and experience, including watching and reading hundreds of reviews, and hopping between ADs of different brands, took me to another level of understanding and appreciating the history and technical details of watches. Now I want more and more of this.

Sorry for the prolonged writeup, but before I conclude, and since you asked for more pics, in my opinion no picture, or even a video can replace personal experience, specially with poor photographer like me (thank you God for filters)

I wish you a very nice journey...
Ah and don't forget the smile

Warmest regards
Rami

P.S. I blame it on Philippe Dufour Simplicity, which triggered the whole thing

Courtesy to original photographers of The H.Moser and The PD Simplicity.

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk
Old 2 June 2020, 11:18 AM   #95
Plant
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 36, Nomos Ahoi
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
That's my problem with the Black (my top choice if I decided this reference) is that I didn't like photos of it in sunlight
The current 126200 Black DJ is actually more of a really dark gray with rarely seen brownish undertones. In most light it just looks black but youre correct that it changes in sunlight. I like this added hidden complexity but I could see how it would annoy someone who wants straight black.

If you want a really deep black DJ the previous 116200 is the way to go. I dont think it has the sunburst, it seems more uniformly glossy. The 2 times I tried it on it seemed so black it was like it drew my eyes deep into the dial. Maybe this was just the lighting in the stores though so I would need someone who owns a black 116200 to confirm
Plant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2020, 02:46 AM   #96
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plant View Post
The current 126200 Black DJ is actually more of a really dark gray with rarely seen brownish undertones. In most light it just looks black but youre correct that it changes in sunlight. I like this added hidden complexity but I could see how it would annoy someone who wants straight black.

If you want a really deep black DJ the previous 116200 is the way to go. I dont think it has the sunburst, it seems more uniformly glossy. The 2 times I tried it on it seemed so black it was like it drew my eyes deep into the dial. Maybe this was just the lighting in the stores though so I would need someone who owns a black 116200 to confirm
I can't do a 116200 - the only reason why I am considering the 126xxx is because of the slimmed lugs more to the classic proportions. Just wished the bracelet was not PCL. And although very minor and not a deal breaker, I can't stand the new little Rolex logo at the bottom where the "Swiss Made" is.

I just sent a message to my AD to make an appt to go in and try the new DateJust. They have a Blue dial in stock. Even though black is my top choice, I want to see if I can live with the bling factor shiny bits... I really want an under the radar piece, but getting too picky with vintage an older pieces. There;s always something - dial perfect, but case too polished, or case nicer, but corrosion on the dial, etc. It's frustrating.
Old 3 June 2020, 03:14 AM   #97
dazooom
"TRF" Member

Watch: "Pepsi" GMT 1675
I personally feel that the blue sunburst Rolex dial is just magnificent!!!
Get one with the stick hour markers. The contrast is easier to read than a silver dial.
dazooom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2020, 03:39 AM   #98
Santiago79
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner a
I really admire the blue dial on this model. Actually a great choice
Santiago79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2020, 08:46 AM   #99
Piguette
Banned

The blue dial is so nice
Piguette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2020, 09:38 AM   #100
b.tay_2218
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Also love the silver

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
b.tay_2218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2020, 11:15 AM   #101
Bybybmw
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazooom View Post
I personally feel that the blue sunburst Rolex dial is just magnificent!!!
Get one with the stick hour markers. The contrast is easier to read than a silver dial.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago79 View Post
I really admire the blue dial on this model. Actually a great choice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piguette View Post
The blue dial is so nice
I'm with the above. Once I saw the blue dial I was instantly in love. 8 months later and still just as in love as when I bought one. I really don't see falling out of love with it. And if I do I will just wear my Rhodium YM for a few days until I realize I really do miss the blue.
Bybybmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2020, 03:30 PM   #102
Plant
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 36, Nomos Ahoi
Quote:
I can't do a 116200 - the only reason why I am considering the 126xxx is because of the slimmed lugs more to the classic proportions. Just wished the bracelet was not PCL. And although very minor and not a deal breaker, I can't stand the new little Rolex logo at the bottom where the "Swiss Made" is.

I just sent a message to my AD to make an appt to go in and try the new DateJust. They have a Blue dial in stock. Even though black is my top choice, I want to see if I can live with the bling factor shiny bits... I really want an under the radar piece, but getting too picky with vintage an older pieces. There;s always something - dial perfect, but case too polished, or case nicer, but corrosion on the dial, etc. It's frustrating.
Seems like what you really want is a mint Explorer 1 36mm?

So far for me the black 126200 has not been noticed by a single person and I doubt it really ever will, only watch guys notice any of my watches and my Seiko alpinist gets the most comments lol. If someone does notice I also wont care, I bought it for me not them. The PCLs seem flashy if you stare right at them but if you look at it from a few feet away in the mirror it doesnt make much difference.

Good luck on the search, I was also wishing I could get the perfect watch but sadly it doesnt exist. I went with the best I could find and now the small things dont matter
Plant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2020, 05:55 PM   #103
solesman
"TRF" Member

If buying on oyster you can have the PCL's brushed.

Quote:
That's my problem with the Black (my top choice if I decided this reference) is that I didn't like photos of it in sunlight, but otherwise looks great.

I also wish the bracelet was all brushed but can't have it all I guess.
Old 3 June 2020, 10:28 PM   #104
solesman
"TRF" Member

Hi Ramiks,

Thanks so much for sharing your story. I really hope I can see all the dials at the same time too. A photo on here only helps so much. Blue is unlikely as I have my Omega Aqua Terra 'Skyfall' which has a gorgeous blue dial and fits a dressy sports watch like the DJ with oyster bracelet and smooth bezel. The black is possible, but maybe a little safe. The silver however is a colour that the more I see, the more I like and it seems to suit every item of clothing you could throw at it which is something I want.

Enjoy that beautiful DJ in great health

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramiks View Post
Many thanks my friend.

Like yourself, I was in between dials, and models, so I hope you don't mind if I share my story and experience, as I spent significant amount of time looking for the perfect watch, so I watched many reviews, read several articles and tried models from different brands.

Initially I was looking for a small and comfortable watch for daily use, then my list of demands and criteria increased, now I want everything! And reached a point where the only watch that checks all the boxes is the H. Moser Swiss Icons Watch

Long story short I ended up with the Datejust! But again the number of configurations, between bracelets, bezels, dials and metals, made me feel lost again, however the quintessential rule, and frankly the budget, reduced the options to the dial colour only.

At the store I followed a simple rule that I personally missed during all of this which is...

Well let me explain what happened that day...

That morning I went to the AD and waited for 45mn outside the store under the sun due to curfew, as the store policy is to accept only 2 customers at a time. After all the waiting I found only one piece (with Jubilee, Fluted Bezel and stick markers), then after the salesman looked into the system he redirected me to another branch.

So I drove to the next branch and I had to wait again, this time for an hour, but I was lucky to find and compare all 3 different dials side by side, the black looks gorgeous at first sight, but when I saw the blue my heart skipped a beat, then I contemplated with the silver dial. The elevated markers looked as if they are part of one sculpture with the dial and not fixed on it, also when I tilted my hand those dark shades on markers side, and because of the mirror polishing, make it look as if they are painted, add to this the sunburst finishing with a hue of champaign is so nostalgic to me, and reminded me of watches from 80s. At that moment I smiled!

Here I remembered my typical answer to my friends, when they ask me what is the best watch, being the watch expert :
"The one that makes you smile"

Anyway, the search journey and experience, including watching and reading hundreds of reviews, and hopping between ADs of different brands, took me to another level of understanding and appreciating the history and technical details of watches. Now I want more and more of this.

Sorry for the prolonged writeup, but before I conclude, and since you asked for more pics, in my opinion no picture, or even a video can replace personal experience, specially with poor photographer like me (thank you God for filters)

I wish you a very nice journey...
Ah and don't forget the smile

Warmest regards
Rami

P.S. I blame it on Philippe Dufour Simplicity, which triggered the whole thing

Courtesy to original photographers of The H.Moser and The PD Simplicity.

Old 3 June 2020, 10:43 PM   #105
Ramiks
"TRF" Member

Many thanks my friend.
I agree on The Aqua terra, I like the one with grey-blue dial and rubber band looks very sharp.
Quote:
Hi Ramiks,

Thanks so much for sharing your story. I really hope I can see all the dials at the same time too. A photo on here only helps so much. Blue is unlikely as I have my Omega Aqua Terra 'Skyfall' which has a gorgeous blue dial and fits a dressy sports watch like the DJ with oyster bracelet and smooth bezel. The black is possible, but maybe a little safe. The silver however is a colour that the more I see, the more I like and it seems to suit every item of clothing you could throw at it which is something I want.

Enjoy that beautiful DJ in great health
Old 3 June 2020, 10:50 PM   #106
solesman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramiks View Post
Many thanks my friend.
I agree on The Aqua terra, I like the one with grey-blue dial and rubber band looks very sharp.

Yep I loved that particular reference, but it wore too big for me sadly.

My AT.

Old 3 June 2020, 11:44 PM   #107
Ramiks
"TRF" Member

Looks great, wear it in great health
Quote:
Yep I loved that particular reference, but it wore too big for me sadly.

My AT.

Old 4 June 2020, 12:43 AM   #108
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plant View Post
Seems like what you really want is a mint Explorer 1 36mm?

Ha ha, I think you read my mind.

Actually recently I have been looking for a 4 digit Datejust (preferably black dial), and the contingency is the 36mm Exp (mint, yes)... the new Datejust is on the radar too, but excellent examples of the latter would take the cake.

I change my mind daily it seems... but so far my struggle is with these mentioned. Looking for a classic daily wear watch that I won't tire from years down the road. That's why I think black dial, even though I really do like the blue current Datejust. I'm not ruling out a good silver either, but black seems to be my choice lately.

If money were no object, a 1016 in excellent condition and I'd be done, but right now, that's a bit more than I should do.
Old 14 July 2020, 10:10 AM   #109
mmmmp
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Wimbledon DJ41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stud Screw View Post
I would be wary of any blue dial. Yes, they are the flavor of the month, but I fear 20 years from now, folks will laugh at them and say, “That is so 2020.l
That's just plain silly. First of all, who cares about 20 years from now, the OP is asking about the *here and now*, not a two-decade prognostication.
As far as "Rolex Blue", yes there are many shades and variations but it's generally agreed that "Nobody does *blue* like Rolex.
Subjective threads like these never really yield accurate results: lot's of opinions (which are great!) but it's always up to the buyer to decide which dial he truly wants. Personally, there is no variation of Rolex 'blue' which I dislike: especially the 5 digit Submariner which morphs into a mauve/purple after many years.
To the OP: you'll decide if it's right to after you've seen it in person a few times.
Good luck friend

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
mmmmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 11:01 AM   #110
nick800
"TRF" Member

Wake me up when this goes out of style

nick800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 11:35 AM   #111
wcperkins
"TRF" Member

Love the silver dial you ended up with. Adding a shot of the blue dial for good measure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 2E3D7264-FC72-4BBE-8BED-46518815352D.jpeg (95.0 KB, 386 views)
wcperkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 11:44 AM   #112
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcperkins View Post
Love the silver dial you ended up with. Adding a shot of the blue dial for good measure.
Might be the best blue datejust I have seen yet!
JRell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 11:46 AM   #113
myc ritz
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP, Speedy, Rolex
Fluted on Jubilee. Blue or silver are both killer.
myc ritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 02:29 PM   #114
Lew Archer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Superb choice. And, fits in nicely with your collection. There's just one problem...

Two Rolex, one Omega. That Omega Speedmaster may feel outnumbered...and needs just the right Seamaster for company...

One of these days, take a look at the Aqua Terra, which is available in a gorgeous blue dial (and, you were drawn to blue, before)...It's available in a couple of different sizes. I prefer the smaller size (38mm case, I think), as did a chap by the name of Craig, Daniel Craig (he personally chose that model for one of the films, an Omega boutique manager told me a few years ago),

Just a thought...
Lew Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2020, 11:36 PM   #115
straden
"TRF" Member

TT white-stick dial was singing to me, I had to get it.
straden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2020, 11:41 PM   #116
Paul7
Banned

Blue is more readable, it will matter as you get older.
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2020, 11:52 PM   #117
winst
"TRF" Member

Blue dial would be my choice.
winst is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2020, 12:25 AM   #118
ttmedical
"TRF" Member

The rhodium dial from the 116200 line (including 16200 and I suppose we can also include the day-dates of the last two generations as well) had as an option my favorite dial of all Rolex dress lines.

Now when they say rhodium on any other of the new references, it breaks my heart a little. The rhodium of the last two generations was such a perfect fit for the watch if you wanted an all steel look. The silver dial is also nice, but it always seems a bit lighter to me than what the rhodium appeared as, and so IMO wasn't as perfect of a match. I am sitting on the sidelines here really hoping that they will release another rhodium dial of that kind, not the "dark rhodium" or the "slate" colors that they now have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoolboy View Post
I went with rhodium.

ttmedical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2020, 12:36 AM   #119
Taylorgold
Banned

I would personally go with the Silver dial...it’s lovely.
Taylorgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2020, 01:45 AM   #120
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Blue dial = modern classic. Had so many different dials in datejust, ended with blue. In my opinion not even close!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 1B02281B-02C9-4609-8F82-4615BAA543C3.jpeg (120.7 KB, 272 views)