The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 March 2020, 10:13 PM   #271
Yess
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
Omega bang for buck

That Seamaster
Yess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2020, 11:14 PM   #272
herefortheattachment
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgekart View Post
As far as I'm aware that's what Tudor does with all their in-house movements. IIRC, It's not that they couldn't be able to service them, it's that it's more efficient for them to take the movements from the watch, replace them and send those old movements to Switzerland to be refurbished.
You’re kidding! I haven’t really kept up with watches for a few years and assumed it was a flaw of being one of their first in-house movements. I knew they serviced their standard ETAs, but had no clue they did this as standard practice for all in-house movements.

I wonder what they’ll do in 10, 20+ years when the movement has been discontinued... if they service it then, or replace it with whatever they happen to making then that fits inside the case.
herefortheattachment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2020, 12:06 AM   #273
georgekart
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herefortheattachment View Post
You’re kidding! I haven’t really kept up with watches for a few years and assumed it was a flaw of being one of their first in-house movements. I knew they serviced their standard ETAs, but had no clue they did this as standard practice for all in-house movements.

I wonder what they’ll do in 10, 20+ years when the movement has been discontinued... if they service it then, or replace it with whatever they happen to making then that fits inside the case.
According to Bas (SearChart) who is a RSC watchmaker, based on what he wrote in [this thread](https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=705537) you will not get your own movement serviced (unless for some reason they have no movements your watch uses in stock for some reason, then maybe it'll be sent back for reconditioning, we're too far from that to know what will happen), but I also don't think they will be replacing the movement with a different movement that they'll be making at the time, even if it fits the case, dial and the hands.
georgekart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2020, 12:46 AM   #274
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
What do you think of Rolex’s little brother, Tudor?

Quote:

This isn’t something unique to Tudor in the industry. Movement swaps are standard procedure for the majority of Richemont group of watches...

Also, the venerable Rolex and it’s new 32xx caliber have parts that are entirely swapped out during service. Mainspring, mainspring barrel and rotor for example.

It’s cost effective, efficient and slowly becoming a necessity. The number of watchmakers is dwindling and there is little interest from newer generations in pursuing the trade. With Rolex testing the waters on Tudor, you oughta start evaluating if your perception of Rolex will change when they eventually switch to this service option as well.
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2020, 02:51 AM   #275
herefortheattachment
"TRF" Member

Don’t mind me, I’m still scraping off pieces of my splattered brain from the wall. I realize the supply of watchmakers is not keeping up with demand, but I didn’t realize the situation was already this grim. Equally shocking to me is that, judging by those threads, most people are unphased by it. Guess I am in the minority.

I realize it isn’t Tudor/Rolex but rather Patek that says “you never own [your luxury Swiss watch], you merely pass it in to the next generation,” but the movement is very much the heart and soul of the watch to me. I have a Speedmaster 145.022 with caliber 861, and aside from replacing some broken parts here and there over the years, I love that it still has a caliber 861 and wasn’t replaced with an ETA when it was sent in for a servicing at OMEGA in the 1990s (not bashing ETA here- just appreciating that the original movement was so finely engineered and constructed that it has held up over the years).

I realize Rolex is the same company who will replace a Paul Newman dial at servicing (on at least one occasion having reportedly done so without informing the owner), so I really shouldn’t be so shocked their child company is discarding entire movements as a matter of routine servicing...

I’m also sitting here doing the mental gymnastics after being on the receiving end of years of marketing from the Swiss watch industry that these are (largely?) handcrafted watches made from non-disposable parts that last for decades if you take proper care of them. I still see ads from Breguet showing human hands putting together the actual watch movement. To think that the handcrafted construction of these movements - magnificent feats of engineering - result in an entirely disposable item... it’s just a bit odd, trying to wrap my head around it.
herefortheattachment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2020, 10:06 PM   #276
r_afficionado
Banned

Watch: a few
Quote:
Don’t mind me, I’m still scraping off pieces of my splattered brain from the wall. I realize the supply of watchmakers is not keeping up with demand, but I didn’t realize the situation was already this grim. Equally shocking to me is that, judging by those threads, most people are unphased by it. Guess I am in the minority.

I realize it isn’t Tudor/Rolex but rather Patek that says “you never own [your luxury Swiss watch], you merely pass it in to the next generation,” but the movement is very much the heart and soul of the watch to me. I have a Speedmaster 145.022 with caliber 861, and aside from replacing some broken parts here and there over the years, I love that it still has a caliber 861 and wasn’t replaced with an ETA when it was sent in for a servicing at OMEGA in the 1990s (not bashing ETA here- just appreciating that the original movement was so finely engineered and constructed that it has held up over the years).

I realize Rolex is the same company who will replace a Paul Newman dial at servicing (on at least one occasion having reportedly done so without informing the owner), so I really shouldn’t be so shocked their child company is discarding entire movements as a matter of routine servicing...

I’m also sitting here doing the mental gymnastics after being on the receiving end of years of marketing from the Swiss watch industry that these are (largely?) handcrafted watches made from non-disposable parts that last for decades if you take proper care of them. I still see ads from Breguet showing human hands putting together the actual watch movement. To think that the handcrafted construction of these movements - magnificent feats of engineering - result in an entirely disposable item... it’s just a bit odd, trying to wrap my head around it.
Don't think it is "disposable". What is being done in order to move things faster through service is remove the movement or sub assenbly and send it to be refurbished / repaired and the install of a previously refurbished movement or sub assembly into your case, this is a time saving cost saving measure. Same caliber, newly refurbished. All good with extended warranty... so not Disposable...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
r_afficionado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2020, 10:21 PM   #277
Explorer2Guy
Banned

For the Tudor aficionados so struck with this brand, when you post “Incoming” and don’t qualify it with “Tudor”, some of us who love Rolex and click your thread to see a Tudor feel very, very wronged. Like the vile surprise at the end of the Kink’s song, Lola.

So, “Incoming - Tudor” would be polite instead of the shock and sadness of seeing something that certainly isn’t a Rolex.
Explorer2Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2020, 10:45 PM   #278
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer2Guy View Post
For the Tudor aficionados so struck with this brand, when you post “Incoming” and don’t qualify it with “Tudor”, some of us who love Rolex and click your thread to see a Tudor feel very, very wronged. Like the vile surprise at the end of the Kink’s song, Lola.

So, “Incoming - Tudor” would be polite instead of the shock and sadness of seeing something that certainly isn’t a Rolex.
Oh, I think you know where you can file that request.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2020, 12:42 AM   #279
johnorpheus
"TRF" Member

Watch: all of them
Quote:

Give your posts, you must be a wonderful person to be around. I'm sure all of your many friends/acquaintances can't wait to sit down and have a drink with you once this quarantine is over.
johnorpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2020, 12:50 AM   #280
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Quote:

I am sure the Tudor aficionados are apt to oblige when you likewise preface your posts and thread titles with your screen name
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2020, 01:15 AM   #281
winst
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieselguhr View Post
I am sure the Tudor aficionados are apt to oblige when you likewise preface your posts and thread titles with your screen name
Well said sir - I just wish we could delete them so we didn’t have to have the misfortune of reading them.
winst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2020, 02:34 AM   #282
Number3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yess View Post
Omega bang for buck

That Seamaster
Yeah, much as I love the Tudor range and it’s rich history the new Seamaster is a fantastic piece with a great movement, clear back and visually stunning. Winner for me over the divers with an incredible pedigree of its own.

The BB Chrono however........now that is one helluva good looking watch on the bund strap.
Number3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2020, 03:52 AM   #283
Ballzzz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:

So your not into watches? There are many a folk who could think the same about your almighty crown company, but they are much more reserved as they wear there annual calendar moon phase complications.

Since it seems you don't like watches why join a watch forum?
Old 30 April 2020, 06:09 AM   #284
nachopc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex Only
2 weeks ago I got a Black Bay Black ETA. The watch is very beautiful, obviously is not a Rolex but is worth the money spent.

I can see Tudor’s and Omegas in 5.5k - 11.00k

At the same time Rolex is getting even more expensive, to me Tudor now is the old times Rolex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
nachopc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2020, 02:54 AM   #285
muddy-feet
"TRF" Member

Totally agree with these comments
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPE View Post
I really don't think people think Tudor is a poor mans Rolex. That is now history or someone not looking at the Tudor Brand or the full range offered to understand it. It gives a New Brand of watches to collect as well as a Rolex. It if anything it will take market share away from the Brands, but not Rolex. It gives you an alternative to wear on a day when you don't want to wear a Rolex. Yet have a good quality watch on your wrist.
muddy-feet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2020, 03:33 AM   #286
Juan Luis
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Undecided
I like to see Tudor incomings as much as Rolex. I find the variety exciting. Tudor is great.
Juan Luis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2020, 03:38 AM   #287
DJ39
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT
The Black Bay Series including the Bronze, Original Red, BB58 and GMT are great watches.

You can have your own collection on these four alone but if you already have Rolex then you are covered.

That is IMO.
DJ39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2020, 04:42 AM   #288
GST15
"TRF" Member

Watch: CHNR/YM/DJ/OP/SUB
In a word - Thick
GST15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2020, 06:01 AM   #289
DGB
"TRF" Member

Save a bit more and buy a Rolex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2020, 06:43 AM   #290
johnorpheus
"TRF" Member

Watch: all of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGB View Post

Buy the watch you want, period. Could be a Rolex, Tudor, Omega, or Breitling, or whatever. However, Rolex fanboys can be among the most annoying set on earth, as though anything that's not Rolex is somehow deficient. This opinion that people are only buying Tudors because they can't afford a Rolex is tired, stale, and untrue.
Old 3 June 2020, 04:57 PM   #291
unknown
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGB View Post

why ??
Old 3 June 2020, 07:18 PM   #292
horseShu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Aqua Terra
They should make watches that are different from their "older brother" company.

Establish a Tudor DNA. Make more Pelagos, Ranger, North Flag, etc.

Discontinue the black bay line.
horseShu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2020, 08:31 PM   #293
mmaggi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710
Tudor (along with Omega) make some great watches that are readily available at a very good price point. For example: The Tudor Pelagos and Omega 300M Seamaster are the best dive watches available regardless of price. But the best part about them is that they are readily available at less than half the price of a Sub. It's not even close.
mmaggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2020, 08:32 PM   #294
mmaggi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yess View Post
Omega bang for buck

That Seamaster
BINGO!
mmaggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2020, 10:34 PM   #295
Yess
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmaggi View Post
Tudor (along with Omega) make some great watches that are readily available at a very good price point. For example: The Tudor Pelagos and Omega 300M Seamaster are the best dive watches available regardless of price. But the best part about them is that they are readily available at less than half the price of a Sub. It's not even close.
You can see I'm on record agreeing back in March (above post agreeing few months on with me ).

But... The Grand Seiko 229 is by far the best value diver. Objectively. Subjectively... Seamaster pips the GS on style. Both objectively beat the Sub. Neither beat the Sub subjectively for the majority though.
Yess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2020, 11:46 PM   #296
Frits1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaga167 View Post
It isn’t. The Omega SMP destroys anything Tudor produces. The only thing the Tudor has over it is a vintage vibe that attract some buyers.
The Omega SMP lacks charm. No doubt its a superb watch but it actualy looks like a mass produced watch. To perfect, to gimmicky, it tries to hard imo. Prefer the BB 41/58.
Frits1980 is offline   Reply With Quote