The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 2 June 2020, 12:23 AM   #91
gr74
Banned

That is why she is the one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 2 June 2020, 02:11 AM   #92
iTreelex
"TRF" Member

I'm so confused about the dynamic of your relationship lol but congrats on the pepsi!
Old 2 June 2020, 02:17 AM   #93
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Deckard View Post
I know that, depending on your own marriage, you may disagree, but hear me out:

My wife and I met when we were teenagers at college and have been together for almost 30 years. As you can imagine, you know each other inside and out after such a long time and you have accepted each other's preferences, hobbies and spending habits. So normally, I get to buy the watches and she gets to buy the shoes. Not exactly a one-for-one deal, but I'd like to point out, that I buy far fewer watches, than she buys shoes. And I was fortunate enough to retire about 10 years ago, so I have far too much time on my hands to explore my obsession with watches, but we rarely trespass into each other's hobbies: I wear flip flops all day, she has one YG DJ that she wears 24/7. No surprises to be expected.

A couple of weeks ago, I got my hands on a brand new Pepsi, that arrived with FedEx overnight in the morning. I put it on, liked it, and went on to have lunch with my wife. We had just finished starters, when she noticed the new watch on my wrist and asked me about it. I proudly admitted that my collection had a new favorite and showed her the Pepsi. And than came, in a very casual tone, the sentence that proves, that my wife is better than your wife. She said: "I like it, and I see you like it, so let me buy it for you."

And she did. Just like that.

Feel free to add your own experiences to claim the title "Best Spouse" from her.

Oh, and that's her ..... in the back of the picture...

Congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
Old 2 June 2020, 02:27 AM   #94
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
After my first wife died over 20 years ago, I spent my time for about 6 or 7 years in a pitiful haze, I just existed. I met my current wife who brought me back to life, it wasn't easy for her, but I am so grateful and happy again.
Wow, quite an experience. Glad you met your second wife then!!
Old 2 June 2020, 03:21 AM   #95
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrubero View Post
Wrong... I don't have a Wife....

Hahaha I’m with you!

Old 2 June 2020, 03:22 AM   #96
schoolboy
Banned

Quote:
I know that, depending on your own marriage, you may disagree, but hear me out:

My wife and I met when we were teenagers at college and have been together for almost 30 years. As you can imagine, you know each other inside and out after such a long time and you have accepted each other's preferences, hobbies and spending habits. So normally, I get to buy the watches and she gets to buy the shoes. Not exactly a one-for-one deal, but I'd like to point out, that I buy far fewer watches, than she buys shoes. And I was fortunate enough to retire about 10 years ago, so I have far too much time on my hands to explore my obsession with watches, but we rarely trespass into each other's hobbies: I wear flip flops all day, she has one YG DJ that she wears 24/7. No surprises to be expected.

A couple of weeks ago, I got my hands on a brand new Pepsi, that arrived with FedEx overnight in the morning. I put it on, liked it, and went on to have lunch with my wife. We had just finished starters, when she noticed the new watch on my wrist and asked me about it. I proudly admitted that my collection had a new favorite and showed her the Pepsi. And than came, in a very casual tone, the sentence that proves, that my wife is better than your wife. She said: "I like it, and I see you like it, so let me buy it for you."

And she did. Just like that.

Feel free to add your own experiences to claim the title "Best Spouse" from her.

Oh, and that's her ..... in the back of the picture...

I think it’s great that she supported you in that way.

I see nothing wrong with it

Old 2 June 2020, 03:25 AM   #97
101031-28
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTreelex View Post
I'm so confused about the dynamic of your relationship lol but congrats on the pepsi!
+1

Ian Fleming
Old 2 June 2020, 03:38 AM   #98
Piguette
Banned

Congrats!
Old 2 June 2020, 10:12 AM   #99
Jamie1111
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exceptional View Post
pretty much.

How old are you to retire 10 years ago?

I don't think her buying you a pepsi is anything to brag about personally but thanks for sharing.
+1
Old 2 June 2020, 10:36 AM   #100
SUPERDOC
"TRF" Member

So is this the White Gold or the steel with an oyster bracelet? I'm confused because the 116710 in your sig is the SS... and the box in your other pic says "extra oyster" ...

I was of the belief that the oyster from the 11610 wouldn't fit...

either way congratulations... although I could give examples of my wife actually buying a watch she heard me mention, and surprising me with it... but I guess cutting a cheque is pretty cool too...😉😜
Old 2 June 2020, 12:59 PM   #101
k_buckle
Banned

Beautiful story, that kind of feeling comes with being with the right woman and I the same way every day.
Old 3 June 2020, 12:12 AM   #102
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exceptional View Post
Clearly a concept that you can't comprehend
My perception is that a wife buying her husband a Rolex is a significant expense and definitely worthy of a 'brag,' if the husband was so inclined to do so on a public watch forum. This I comprehend.

If you're saying that it's not, then, no, I don't comprehend how it couldn't be.

If you care to explain why not (besides using a one word answer that doesn't explain your position), I'm all ears.

If not, have a nice day.
Old 3 June 2020, 12:34 AM   #103
HarvesterUT
"TRF" Member

No wife for me, so not a fair challenge! Congratulations on the pickup....both of 'em! ;)
Old 3 June 2020, 02:03 AM   #104
Gwai
"TRF" Member

Quote:
1. The problem is right there, you consider a steel sports Rolex a considerable expense. It may be to you, but like I said theres levels.

2. There was no thought/effort on her behalf. She simply transferred funds from her account into his (if that's what he meant). £7k assuming he paid retail, how is this even a thing to brag about? The basic principle of gift giving etiquette isn't even present here.

3. A marriage isn't about whats mine/whats yours, it's mutual.

4. I said her buying him a "Pepsi" or in this case paying for it wasn't anything to brag about. A pepsi isn't anything special in my opinion, I wouldn't want one even if offered it for retail. Now if she sought out, took the time/effort and purchased a Rainbow Daytona, I'd say well done to his Mrs and is worth the bragging on a public forum.
Funny how this in turn is wrong to me on so many levels. Horses for courses.

One innocent pick: If my wife, second to none in excellence, presented me with a Rainbow Daytona, I'd ask her in horror, "what did those aliens do to you?! First, we are going to return this THING. And then I want my wife back!"

Cheers
Marc
Old 3 June 2020, 02:17 AM   #105
schoolboy
Banned

Quote:
1. The problem is right there, you consider a steel sports Rolex a considerable expense. It may be to you, but like I said theres levels.

2. There was no thought/effort on her behalf. She simply transferred funds from her account into his (if that's what he meant). £7k assuming he paid retail, how is this even a thing to brag about? The basic principle of gift giving etiquette isn't even present here.

3. A marriage isn't about whats mine/whats yours, it's mutual.

4. I said her buying him a "Pepsi" or in this case paying for it wasn't anything to brag about. A pepsi isn't anything special in my opinion, I wouldn't want one even if offered it for retail. Now if she sought out, took the time/effort and purchased a Rainbow Daytona, I'd say well done to his Mrs and is worth the bragging on a public forum.

Since when is a rainbow Daytona is something to brag about?

I gave away 3 rainbow Daytonas to my business partners last year, at one of our charity events.

To earn them, they had to make me $10M each.

Only 3 made the cut, so I only had to buy 3 of these watches at market value.

I paid market value because it’s pocket change. I don’t have the time to “build a relationship” with an AD

Time is money

Like you said, there are levels in life

Jk hahaha

OMGosh

I wish!

Old 3 June 2020, 02:32 AM   #106
Exceptional
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoolboy View Post

I gave away 3 rainbow Daytonas to my business partners last year, at one of our charity events.

I paid market value because it’s pocket change. I don’t have the time to “build a relationship” with an AD

Time is money

Jk hahaha

OMGosh

I wish!

The actual joke is that this is a reality to some
Old 3 June 2020, 02:42 AM   #107
Aberdein
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1982 GMT 16750Matt
I don't need my wife to pay for expensive watches for myself. I just need her permission to buy them.......

Old 3 June 2020, 02:49 AM   #108
schoolboy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aberdein View Post
I don't need my wife to pay for expensive watches for myself. I just need her permission to buy them.......

I know

Haha

Old 3 June 2020, 02:55 AM   #109
djyolky
Banned

I knew I should have never clicked this thread.. I waited so long to do it also.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
Old 3 June 2020, 03:19 AM   #110
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoolboy View Post

Time is money

Jk hahaha

OMGosh

I wish!

lol, i was seriously responding like what kind of humble brag?! Haha.

Old 3 June 2020, 03:29 AM   #111
schoolboy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunylw View Post
lol, i was seriously responding like what kind of humble brag?! Haha.

Hahaha
Old 3 June 2020, 03:34 AM   #112
maximilianmuller
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV/TBB
Your wife has successfully won the award of the year in my book
Congrats to you sir, would love to see some wrist shots.
Old 3 June 2020, 04:11 AM   #113
rlx123
"TRF" Member

My wife inadvertently got me started on Rolex collection. She bought me my first Rolex (DJ 41) and it snowballed from there. Just like I bought an LV bag for her and multiple LV bags later we are still going strong.

Old 3 June 2020, 10:52 AM   #114
Rick Deckard
"TRF" Member

Dear fellow Members,

I have thoroughly enjoyed most of your responses, some being outright hilarious, others demanding sincere respect for what your/our significant others are achieving (loved the Mario Kart comment). Of course, there is no "better spouse" in this comparison, we are hopefully all with the people complementing us in the best possible way. And everybody is allowed to put their spouse as high up on a pedestal as they desire - yours, mine, anybody's. I put mine up because of a spontaneous present, but it is good to see that admiration and respect for our spouses seems the response most often given.

So apparently, for most of you it wasn't too hard to see that the post was meant to show gratitude to my wife and a bit of humor in the context of a hobby for which many spouses have little to no appreciation. The rest of you surprised me in how quickly you tend to pass judgement over a person/situation that you have very little information about. Does this work for you in all facets of life? Because, personally, I think judging a certain aspect of a situation without having the full picture is a bit short sighted. Even more importantly, try to develop a sense of humor or at least the ability to read between the lines. Life is so much better when you find the hidden humor. Lastly, you do know that you don't have to post something, if you don't like a thread title or topic, do you? I mean, do you really think that a comment like "Strange Thread" serves any purpose, other than to show that you did not get the point?

Anyway, in order to satisfy your curiosity and clear up some confusion, here are a some points:

- There are couples that even after many years still have individual bank accounts in addition to the joint ones. After 30 years it probably does not make a legal difference anymore, but I personally appreciate the ability to treat the other person to something as a surprise or a present. Additionally, my wife was well off already when she entered into the marriage, and folding all of hers into a joint account right after the honeymoon would have felt wrong to me.

- How my wife and I handle the administrative part of such a "transaction" is our business. Be assured, we don't write checks to each other, and in case you are concerned about the fading romance in our relationship, don't worry, we are good. But sometimes, a situation arises, where you see your spouse happy with something they got/or want, and you just want to buy it for them. It's a simple as that. I really don't see as big of a problem here, as some of you try to make it look like.

- The Pepsi is a steel 126710 BLNR, to which I attached an Oyster bracelet. Takes 3 minutes and fits perfectly. I have owned both, the 116719 and the 126719 in the past. WG doesn't work for me as a daily rocker. I normally take very good care of my watches, but all PM Rolexes I ever had over the years (at least 8) fell victim to my rather active lifestyle and resulting cosmetic damage. I am adding this explanation, because I don't want to give the impression of wanting to portray something that is not the Real Thing.

Back to everybody who shared their impressive stories and showed why their spouse deserves the #1 spot in their live, thank you for doing so. Also, as I said before, I very much liked the humorous replies and comments and I am sure, your significant others would appreciate reading those. And to those who saw it suitable to criticize, I respect your opinion and hope that your respective spouses treat you even better than my wife treats me. Fortunately, it's a big world and a free country, so - with all respect - I don't have to agree with you.

Peace
Chris

Lineup: 1601 (SD) - 16030 (SD) - 126334 (BLSO) -116600 - 116610LV Mk.III - 126610LV - 126710BLRO Mk.III (Jubilee/Oyster) - 116500LN-0072 (BD/SD)
Old 3 June 2020, 11:33 AM   #115
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

This is why my wife is better than your wife...

Quote:
Dear fellow Members,

I have thoroughly enjoyed most of your responses, some being outright hilarious, others demanding sincere respect for what your/our significant others are achieving (loved the Mario Kart comment). Of course, there is no "better spouse" in this comparison, we are hopefully all with the people complementing us in the best possible way. And everybody is allowed to put their spouse as high up on a pedestal as they desire - yours, mine, anybody's. I put mine up because of a spontaneous present, but it is good to see that admiration and respect for our spouses seems the response most often given.

So apparently, for most of you it wasn't too hard to see that the post was meant to show gratitude to my wife and a bit of humor in the context of a hobby for which many spouses have little to no appreciation. The rest of you surprised me in how quickly you tend to pass judgement over a person/situation that you have very little information about. Does this work for you in all facets of life? Because, personally, I think judging a certain aspect of a situation without having the full picture is a bit short sighted. Even more importantly, try to develop a sense of humor or at least the ability to read between the lines. Life is so much better when you find the hidden humor. Lastly, you do know that you don't have to post something, if you don't like a thread title or topic, do you? I mean, do you really think that a comment like "Strange Thread" serves any purpose, other than to show that you did not get the point?

Anyway, in order to satisfy your curiosity and clear up some confusion, here are a some points:

- There are couples that even after many years still have individual bank accounts in addition to the joint ones. After 30 years it probably does not make a legal difference anymore, but I personally appreciate the ability to treat the other person to something as a surprise or a present. Additionally, my wife was well off already when she entered into the marriage, and folding all of hers into a joint account right after the honeymoon would have felt wrong to me.

- How my wife and I handle the administrative part of such a "transaction" is our business. Be assured, we don't write checks to each other, and in case you are concerned about the fading romance in our relationship, don't worry, we are good. But sometimes, a situation arises, where you see your spouse happy with something they got/or want, and you just want to buy it for them. It's a simple as that. I really don't see as big of a problem here, as some of you try to make it look like.

- The Pepsi is a steel 126710 BLNR, to which I attached an Oyster bracelet. Takes 3 minutes and fits perfectly. I have owned both, the 116719 and the 126719 in the past. WG doesn't work for me as a daily rocker. I normally take very good care of my watches, but all PM Rolexes I ever had over the years (at least 8) fell victim to my rather active lifestyle and resulting cosmetic damage. I am adding this explanation, because I don't want to give the impression of wanting to portray something that is not the Real Thing.

Back to everybody who shared their impressive stories and showed why their spouse deserves the #1 spot in their live, thank you for doing so. Also, as I said before, I very much liked the humorous replies and comments and I am sure, your significant others would appreciate reading those. And to those who saw it suitable to criticize, I respect your opinion and hope that your respective spouses treat you even better than my wife treats me. Fortunately, it's a big world and a free country, so - with all respect - I don't have to agree with you.

Peace
Chris

Well said Chris...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
Old 3 June 2020, 11:39 AM   #116
JoseR
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air King, Omega AT
I just see a bunch of boxes... Let's see those babies...
Old 3 June 2020, 11:42 AM   #117
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Quote:
Dear fellow Members,

Peace
Chris

Haters gonna hate. Ignoring them is the best.
Old 3 June 2020, 11:59 AM   #118
White Collar Boy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PAM111
Nice one Chris. Glad to hear a positive story and that you guys are happy. Jealous of your lifestyle, man!
Old 3 June 2020, 12:03 PM   #119
erekose
"TRF" Member

I won't let my wife buy me a Rolex, but she did sneak me a Limited Edition Grand Seiko for my 50th last November.
Old 3 June 2020, 12:21 PM   #120
Rick Deckard
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgwatchguy View Post

Haters gonna hate. Ignoring them is the best.
The perceived anonymity of the internet seems to encourage the display of this unfortunate character trait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrubero View Post
I just see a bunch of boxes... Let's see those babies...
No Pepsi today, we were supposed to go diving. Postponed due to weather, but the SD looked great at the bar as well.

More to come...

Lineup: 1601 (SD) - 16030 (SD) - 126334 (BLSO) -116600 - 116610LV Mk.III - 126610LV - 126710BLRO Mk.III (Jubilee/Oyster) - 116500LN-0072 (BD/SD)
Closed Thread