The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 2 April 2020, 05:27 PM   #1
ColinH
"TRF" Member

Oysterquartz 19018 (approx 2000)

Hi Guys,
I recently had a beautiful 19018 delivered. I bought it from a very reputable NY dealer who has a great returns policy BUT the virus is interrupting things somewhat, so I wonder if the forum can help me with my issue:-
The watch stops about 10 to 20 minutes after putting it on, but the motor still seems to be running. If I place the watch face down and leave it untouched it seems to run ok. It was apparently serviced before delivery, but I am thinking that the journey from the USA to the UK may have dislodged or clotted some oil in transit causing the movement to present as above. Any help people? Its such a terrific thing - I really want to wear it (working!) even if it's just around the house.

Help eagerly awaited.
Thanks,

Col.
ColinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2020, 06:47 PM   #2
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Very nice a Rolex Colin.

If you had owned this for a while I would have suggested a new battery may be the answer but if recently service the battery may not be an issue.

A tech will give you some guidance.

These movements are really excellent when issue free.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2020, 11:32 PM   #3
ColinH
"TRF" Member

Thanks. I'm new to the forum - where do I find the guidance?

Kind regards,

C.
ColinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2020, 12:16 AM   #4
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Although the gear train is mechanical from the cal 3035 the amount of oil needed to lubricate is a very very very tiny amount.It gets its power from the battery seems like there is a possible connection issue or needs a new battery.The battery is not a special one its quite easy to buy,the Oysterquartz uses a SR344 battery and its not rocket science to change it yourself.Even most high street watchmakers could do with the correct case back tool its only like unscrewing a jar and pressure check after.You can buy a pack of 5xSR344 batteries for around £8-£10, its not like if its some special Rolex certified battery its just a normal run of the mill battery.But trouble today once you mention Rolex the price always escalates 10 fold and its no different to change a battery in a Rolex as to changing one in say a Seiko dive watch.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2020, 05:35 AM   #5
SearChart
TechXpert

If the motor is ticking there could still be plenty of issues. The pallet fork with it's little springs could be damaged, a gear train blockage due to dirt/dust in the gear train or too much lubrication in the wrong places.

Like said before, these movements are very solid and reliable and a reputable place can easily change a battery. But if something goes wrong things get expensive very quickly.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote