The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 8 July 2011, 02:26 PM   #1
007Sub
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5514
Is it best to service a vintage sub at an RSC or an independent watchmaker!?

Thoughts?

@true_patina
@true.dome
007Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2011, 02:42 PM   #2
onkyo
Banned

Rolex USA will not service vintage pieces. You are stuck with independent watchmakers which is not necessarily a bad thing.
onkyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2011, 02:42 PM   #3
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
1)make sure it is someone you trust.
2)be very specific regarding the work you want done:
*do you want them to polish the case? (it will lose its original lines)
*do you want the bezel insert swapped out? the new one will not have same color pip
*do you want the dial/hands swapped out? (this could be a major blunder)
OR
* my preference... oil the movement , replace parts of the movement that need changing , replace the seals ..... leave the rest alone!

if you don't specify these things, they may do it without bringing your attention to their intentions and then you have a big mess, some of it without a fix!

ps. if you bring it to RSC they will keep your original parts. if you bring it to a independent they will return them to you (be sure they know your intentions)

best of luck

Old 8 July 2011, 02:58 PM   #4
007Sub
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5514
Great call thanks!

@true_patina
@true.dome
007Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2011, 04:37 PM   #5
Mike Wood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Listen & Learn!
Yes, no, maybe?

In the UK, servicing a vintage Rolex through Rolex UK costs from £645 ($1k).

So if your vintage Sub is a Comex or military issue, a Rolex UK service will authenticate your watch, and this adds far more value to the watch than the service cost. Good thing, so yes!

If your watch is a regular vinatage Sub, a competant independant repairer who can discuss the options with you, this is fine, and you'll save a chunk of cash. Good thing, so no to Rolex Service Centre.

Maybe submit your Sub to Rolex if you have any doubts or uncertainties about your watch or the condition of the case, etc. You will be (mostly!) confident the watch is as good as it can be after the service, and the extra cost is justified.

I have four milSubs at Rolex UK, which will cost me about £3,000 in service charges in 4-5 months' time (), the same work at my own watchmakers would cost me less than £800...

Errr...
Mike Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2011, 04:52 PM   #6
sleddog
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Wood View Post

So if your vintage Sub is a Comex or military issue, a Rolex UK service will authenticate your watch, and this adds far more value to the watch than the service cost. Good thing, so yes!

If your watch is a regular vinatage Sub, a competant independant repairer who can discuss the options with you, this is fine, and you'll save a chunk of cash. Good thing, so no to Rolex Service Centre.

Maybe submit your Sub to Rolex if you have any doubts or uncertainties about your watch or the condition of the case, etc. You will be (mostly!) confident the watch is as good as it can be after the service, and the extra cost is justified.

I have four milSubs at Rolex UK, which will cost me about £3,000 in service charges in 4-5 months' time (), the same work at my own watchmakers would cost me less than £800...

Errr...
Good advice Mike!!!

Man that service bill has got to sting a little....but well worth it for piece of mind IMO!

TRF's "After Dark" Bar & Nightclub Patron-Founding Member..
sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2011, 04:56 PM   #7
onkyo
Banned

Quote:

Errr...

Professor Wood, the problem is 007Sub is in the US.... so no go with Rolex service center. Unless he (or the watch) desired a trip to the UK.
onkyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2011, 07:07 PM   #8
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:

Errr...
Mike--you are lucky in UK!! And yes--My Milsub went to Bexley and has HH letter. My Comex also spent time at the Bexley Spa. Unfortunately here in US--not the same so all watches here go to the Ridley Spa--Mr. Bob Ridley that is!

** PS-If looking to save money that won't happen with Bob either--you get what you pay for and he is just as expensive but well worth it! Saving money on vintage grail work not a good place to go cheap route!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2011, 07:10 PM   #9
RolexWatcher
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Errr...
Mike, that's great to know!

But ouch that's a lot of money especially knowing how many COMEX you have!
RolexWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2011, 08:51 PM   #10
ExpII
Banned

Watch: Milgauss, PAM 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007Sub View Post
Thoughts?
Bob Ridley does lots of work on vintage and non-vintage pieces alike and is highly regarded on the forum.
ExpII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2011, 10:08 PM   #11
greekbum
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 16750
Find a watchmaker with a Rolex parts account and he will be able to service your submariner for you.

Original Owner ROLEX 16750 GMT Daily Wearer For Over 13,000 Days And Counting
greekbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2011, 07:05 AM   #12
cameronweiss
Banned

Watch: Patek ref. 1579
Vintage Rolex work often times will require balance staff replacement. Make sure you go to a certified watchmaker to ensure that if the balance staff needs replacing, it actually gets replaced, and that it is replaced properly.
cameronweiss is offline   Reply With Quote