The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 21 August 2019, 02:46 AM   #1
baamvino
"TRF" Member

Any recommendation on a high end sports watch?

Hi guys, I've been a Rolex guy for around 7-8 years and just like everyone here we all know why we have a strong loyalty to this brand - brand heritage, design, a perfect size and the best tool watch.. you name it.

But, recently I am seriously considering to take my first step into the world of high end horology. But, it has not been an easy journey for me as I am struggling to decide a sports watch that will be the perfect addition to my rolex collection.

30K is my maximum budget, which gives me options such as AP15400, 15500, 26331 or VC OS4500v.. etc. I think the PP Aquanaut would a great example of the watch I was looking for, but unfortunately it’s over my budget.

Do you guys have any recommendation on any high end sports watch that will bring a great smile to the face of Rolex guy here?
baamvino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 03:05 AM   #2
coaxial
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513, 116610LN
Vacheron Overseas or AP Royal Oak would be good options. Depends on dial color as to how long your wait time will be at retail for the AP. Imo, the new overseas is a stunning sports watch that is often overlooked.
Old 21 August 2019, 03:07 AM   #3
Locust
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Out of that list I'd go 26331. It's the cats pajamas, but I"m biased
Locust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 03:08 AM   #4
iheartrolexx
Banned

30k is kinda tough to get you into the ultra highend. try the entry PP
iheartrolexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 03:14 AM   #5
LeftCoastBias
"TRF" Member

Watch: I AM BATMAN
AP hands down.

FYI- SS pieces are an allocation basis for their ADs. So an AD might have already pre-sold their allotment for the year.

I have a friend looking for the 41 chrono, and my dealer could only promise him a watch in 2020. He called 3 others and got the same reaction, and a fourth said they might be able to get him one by the end of the year, but were uncertain of the delivery date.

That dealer is 9 time zones ahead of my location (not going to spill the beans, as they said it was the last allocation they had for the year).

The madness with the insatiable demand for stainless Rolex watches has spilled over into AP.

AP has to love this. They didn’t have to work hard... Rolex did all the work for them.

- Sent via iPhone. Please excuse any typos or brevity in my message

...it just gets more random and obscure from there...
LeftCoastBias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 03:15 AM   #6
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baamvino View Post
Hi guys, I've been a Rolex guy for around 7-8 years and just like everyone here we all know why we have a strong loyalty to this brand - brand heritage, design, a perfect size and the best tool watch.. you name it.

But, recently I am seriously considering to take my first step into the world of high end horology. But, it has not been an easy journey for me as I am struggling to decide a sports watch that will be the perfect addition to my rolex collection.

30K is my maximum budget, which gives me an option such as AP15400, 15500, 26331 or VC OS4500v.. etc. I think the PP Aquanaut was a great example of the watch I was looking for, but unfortunately it’s over my budget.

Do you guys have any recommendation on any high end sports watch that will bring a great smile to the face of Rolex guy here?
The AP 15400 is really not a contender for the VC Overseas or even the newer 15500. 15500 is more refined as a total object, based on proportions and case architecture, but I would argue that the VC is more refined as a watch. The movement of the Overseas (VC5100 and derivatives) is in another league compared to the AP (the hand anglage is just so much more elegant than the broad sharp c profile polishes on the AP’s bridges, though at least the latter don’t seem as blunt anymore as they were on the 3120), and the VC’s case, while perhaps a bit more beefy and functional in appearance, is no less finely finished. However the VC does of course not have the iconic design of the AP.
The Rolex is in that price range purely based on its more expensive metal and iconic design, but can contend neither in terms of case finish, nor when it comes to movement execution. But of course, if it’s the style you want, there really is no substitute for it, and that’s a fair choice to make.

I personally am mostly a substance over style person and chose the VC for its fantastic movement, though I must confess, the “in the know” edge of the VC in a the sea of mostly clueless royal oak wearers I have around me in my professional field also makes up part of the appeal for me.

Hope this helps, really not much of a bad choice you can make here, especially between the VC and the 15500.

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 03:15 AM   #7
faimag
"TRF" Member

Watch: Reverso
Quote:
Originally Posted by coaxial View Post
Vacheron Overseas or AP Royal Oak would be good options. Depends on dial color as to how long your wait time will be at retail for the AP. Imo, the new overseas is a stunning sports watch that is often overlooked.
I second that. Although current iterations of both VC overseas and AP RO wear a bit large.
faimag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 03:18 AM   #8
Arid
"TRF" Member

VC Overseas is an amazing piece!
Arid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 03:25 AM   #9
GenevaFan
"TRF" Member

Quote:

30K is my maximum budget, which gives me options such as AP15400, 15500, 26331 or VC OS4500v.. etc. I think the PP Aquanaut would a great example of the watch I was looking for, but unfortunately it’s over my budget.

Tried this puppy on in Toronto recently. Must admit it really spoke to me. The enamel dial is simply stunning and the sapphire case back revealed outstanding craftsmanship.

Sent from my LM-Q710.FGN using Tapatalk
GenevaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 03:35 AM   #10
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

For ACTUAL sports use (read: not sporty for the clubhouse and bunny trails) imho one of the APs. The Patek Aqua is for the clubhouse, Rolex and others are for actual sport use. When you're ready for a craft-watch with the best finishing / craftsmanship, then get a FPJ :)
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 05:12 AM   #11
thekman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
RO definitely. I tried on the VC overseas and 15500. They are worlds apart. Had to go with the 15500.

Follow me www.instagram.com/subs.n.scrubs
thekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 05:50 AM   #12
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Outside of these noble contenders I'd search out an Urban Jurgensen One for a stylish haute sports watch.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 06:19 AM   #13
Vetracer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500LN
What about an FP Journe Octa Sport in Titanium? They’re interesting and unique.

https://www.chrono24.com/uk/fpjourne...GB&SETCURR=GBP
Vetracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 07:47 AM   #14
sokoloka
"TRF" Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet
I'm definitely an AP guy but don't think you can go wrong with an RO or ROO even if you're open to a 44 size.
Old 21 August 2019, 08:47 AM   #15
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I’d go 15500 or wait it out and see if the 5167 drops back towards 30k which is not out of the question.
Old 21 August 2019, 09:26 AM   #16
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

I wouldn't consider any of Patek's Nautilus or Aquanaut watches as a true sports watch. They are a bit sporty, but not as durable as a Rolex sports watch.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 09:31 AM   #17
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
I wouldn't consider any of Patek's Nautilus or Aquanaut watches as a true sports watch. They are a bit sporty, but not as durable as a Rolex sports watch.
Agreed.

I'd also argue the same holds true for any proper "high horology" sports watches (of which there are very, very few out there in my opinion -- my threshold for "high horology" is high).
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 11:35 AM   #18
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
For 30k, I highly recommend the 5711/1-010. It is iconic, has a lovely gradient blue, new hacking movement, is very light and comfortable on the wrist, and the nautilus bracelet oozes class.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 11:37 AM   #19
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I would look at the Blancpan 50 Fathoms.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 11:44 AM   #20
tchaic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tag Heuer 2000
You can get a 5167 sub $30K.
tchaic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 11:49 AM   #21
LeftCoastBias
"TRF" Member

Watch: I AM BATMAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
For 30k, I highly recommend the 5711/1-010. It is iconic, has a lovely gradient blue, new hacking movement, is very light and comfortable on the wrist, and the nautilus bracelet oozes class.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tchaic View Post
You can get a 5167 sub $30K.
to both these posts: not without spending a fortune at the dealer first... and grey market pricing is substantially more than MSRP.

...it just gets more random and obscure from there...
LeftCoastBias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 06:15 PM   #22
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekman View Post
RO definitely. I tried on the VC overseas and 15500. They are worlds apart. Had to go with the 15500.
How so? Asking because I had the exact opposite experience. 15500, while obviously a more iconic design, didn’t feel up to the level of quality of the VC to me, especially when looking at the movements with a loupe. AP seemed much more of a machine made product, if that makes any sense, with those big sharp anglage surfaces that can’t possibly be hand applied. The VC seemed more lovingly hand made and much more refined in this respect. Of course that applies to the movement first and foremost, no arguing over the case, the AP’s case is a thing of beauty. But the VC’s case is no less well finished...

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 07:11 PM   #23
matt009au
"TRF" Member

Personally I've been oscillating between the new overseas and the Royal Oak. Like a few above, I must say that the vc has won me over. Especially with that blue dial.
matt009au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 08:22 PM   #24
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Quote:

I will recommend not getting sucked in to the hype. Don’t buy it because prices are going up and don’t buy a current production watch for over MSRp. It’s just a watch.

Go Try on a watch.

If 30k was my price point. I’d get a AP ROO 44 mm they are maybe 32k. The new 42mm with the 44mm pusher is sub 30k. That’s really nice. I find the ROO’s are much more fun than the RO. The average run of the mill RO feels too industrial for me...
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 11:52 PM   #25
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

I like the breguet marine on rubber
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 11:37 AM   #26
Jace
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platinum DD 40
I can’t argue with either the AP 15 500 or VC overseas. I don’t like the Nautilis and I never have. They’ve been around for a really long time and I didn’t like them when they were 20% under retail. I have owned several royal oaks and the bad side of them is that the finish is so incredibly precise and the angles are so sharp that the watch doesn’t age very well. On a Rolex it always seems that marks make it look more rugged, on an AP it will drive you insane. Some people don’t care about this. I really do.

The VC overseas has a fine finish as well but without the extremely sharp angles as seen in the Royal Oak. The other advantage is that you can take the bracelet off and put on a rubber strap or an alligator strap so easily. This not only changes the character of the watch but it also protects the bracelet from damage.

There is no question that if you purchase the Royal Oak at the present at retail you’re getting a better deal because you can turn around and sell it for more five minutes later. The Royal Oak actually has much more character than the VC. Meaning, it has a much more unique and industrial design. At a glance the VC you can look like and IWC Ingeneur or a Rolex date just.

But the level of finish on the VC is absolutely magnificent and there are so many modernized improvements.

By the way, I’m wearing A VC overseas as we speak.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Jace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 12:32 AM   #27
Juan Luis
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Undecided
My next sports model will definitely be an VC overseas. I really love it over the OP and Patek. That it is less pricey, is icing on the cake for me.
Juan Luis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 12:52 AM   #28
BreguetRolex
Banned

Watch: TIMEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by mps354 View Post
I like the breguet marine on rubber
I also like the Marine Royale / Alarm Breguet with Rubber and Gold Strap here is mine..

IMG_2085.JPG

IMG_2086.JPG

IMG_2087.JPG
BreguetRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 01:04 AM   #29
Humble michael
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711 white , 5990,
The VC is a great piece but you will lose money on resale. I am very happy w my AP 15400. Get many compliments on it. Love the 41 mm , the bracelet is very comfortable and a work of art. I have the white dial- the waffle finish is phenomenal. I would get either 15400 or 15500. Wish you the best . james in San Antonio Tx
Humble michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 01:05 AM   #30
Humble michael
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711 white , 5990,
Icon12

Here she is
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg D759C740-E7EE-4A5B-80A8-1D83AF0F4BF2.jpeg (135.4 KB, 179 views)
Humble michael is offline   Reply With Quote