The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 8 August 2019, 09:50 AM   #31
dba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710
Anyone struggling between Patek and Rolex?

No. I like Rolex.
dba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2019, 09:53 AM   #32
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
5524 is a good looking watch

Patek and Rolex in most ways are apples and oranges.
Old 8 August 2019, 09:56 AM   #33
Juantxo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolyMoly View Post
Agreed. This is where I put practicality into a very non-practical subject of luxury watches.

I’ve heard the same horror stories of Patek owners not seeing their watches for 6 months. Nah. I’ll take Rolex service.
It’s not only a six months wait -usually it is much more than that. The main issue is the outright poor work they do. To get PP to adjust a watch to keep proper time is nearly impossible. Over polishing a new case to the point of making the stamps on the back of the lugs disappear becomes a nightmare when they don’t accept responsibility for the damage. On and on, a nightmare.
Juantxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2019, 10:26 AM   #34
Dougiebaby
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona BLNR SubLV
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinWatch View Post
I’ve never owned a Patek.
I tried some models earlier, but this was the first one that truly did something to me:

Stunning&interesting watch—not ”the hottest Patek to have”, but I love it. Also the history behind this Patek is not as deep as many other models...
Also tried this one:

White gold Daytona. No explanations needed.
Thinking Patek feels like I am cheating Rolex....
Anyone else having this kind of strange struggle?
What is the horological truth to you if thinking these two watches?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To each his own. That Patek does nothing for me ... it looks like a Hamilton Khaki

While I do like the Nautilus & Aquanaut, I do not love them. And I really do not love any Patek. If I wanted a similar watch, I would choose A. Lange.

Being too practical minded, I would do a PM Rolex before any boutique marque. I love knowing there is a totally reliable engine under the Rolex dial.

Dougiebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2019, 10:31 AM   #35
Muxi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethemanlee View Post
not really....PP is kind of out of my price range for on a per watch basis.

I'd only be willing to spend up to MSRP on 5167. I'm on the list and just waiting.

I'm in no rush and know that my AD will come since they've come through on every other single watch that I've wanted.
We have very similar taste in watches.
Muxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2019, 10:34 AM   #36
AboutTime
"TRF" Member

I bought a BNIB Patek a few years back, kept it a few months, seldom wore it because it seemed very delicate, and sold it. I don't plan to buy another. If I were wealthy I might consider another Patek as part of a large collection but, since I'm not wealthy ...
AboutTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2019, 11:16 AM   #37
RolyMoly
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juantxo View Post
It’s not only a six months wait -usually it is much more than that. The main issue is the outright poor work they do. To get PP to adjust a watch to keep proper time is nearly impossible. Over polishing a new case to the point of making the stamps on the back of the lugs disappear becomes a nightmare when they don’t accept responsibility for the damage. On and on, a nightmare.

Seriously? Jesus.
RolyMoly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2019, 11:35 AM   #38
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolyMoly View Post
Seriously? Jesus.
not really. I didn't set my 5164 for nearly a year. it ran the entire time. it was within like 30 seconds.

My 5524 was back from warranty work within a month. It was my fault, i dropped it and the pusher jammed. They fixed it anyway. I didn't tell them how it happened and they didn't ask. They had to open up the case and get into the movement though.

My 5164 remains my most accurate watch i own. Not the Rolexes and the 324 movement is the workhorse in most of the watches people around here are going to have.

On thing about Patek is they will restore and service anyones 100 year old watch. That takes ages obviously. Rolex won't touch your vintage watch and for sure won't keep it original. They have some obscure restoration department in geneva you can apply to get serviced, but who knows if its something a regular person can even get approved for. So if you have any aspirations of an heirloom watch and choose Rolex, better get use to third party services. The brand that made it no longer cares.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2019, 11:58 AM   #39
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinWatch View Post
Just tried both—let’s see what happens...
This stunner was also available:

Now your talking!!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2019, 12:14 PM   #40
mrarchiegoodwin
"TRF" Member

Watch: GShock Frogman
Gosh, a PP vs Rolex question?

My business manager and I don't agree on a lot, but both of us love the PP 5522. Styled as a pilot watch in the way of the understated IWC Marks (that I like except detaling of the case). And--way nifty for PP--the 5522 has a stainless steel case. It might be, perhaps, the ultimate expression of the pilot type watch available today. If PP had created a St. Exupery model I would be there with credit card in hand. Instead, there's a limited edition commemorating New York City that I don't associate with the romance of flight. After all, high end stuff trades in fantasy that I enjoy contemplating (even if the watch resembles a Hamilton).

I was impressed by and considered the 5524G as a more useful alternative to the 5522. I could definitely use the dual time function. But the gold case was a turn off. I am too sloppy for such a soft metal. I prefer the utility of stainless steel.

I agree with others that service takes a long time. I do not think it is a PP ploy. Or due to snootiness. And I hope the person who got bad service complained. Most watch brands can be repaired without sending to Geneva that PP requires, and takes extra time, and costs more. By contrast for example, in the US, AP is very well served in Clearwater, Florida. Yet, PP keeps the owner up to date on progress--especially for a comprehensive rebuild that takes many months because parts must be fabricated. I think service is good, but be prepared to pay several thousand dollars.

That is why I joined the Rolex camp many years ago. High end watch components are finished so precisely that they only operate within narrow tolerances. PP, AP (even Royal Oaks) cannot be banged about. Rolex is made to keep on ticking and I have definitely banged mine about.

Thank you for the thought provoking post.
mrarchiegoodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2019, 12:20 PM   #41
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
I mean I like the patek chronos, but other than the PP label here, what is their heritage with pilot watches? Same issue I have with there so called sport watches, zero heritage.
Rolex, iwc, breitling and some other have real pilot watch heritage. But if you like the style and have the coin, why not.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2019, 12:26 PM   #42
billfredericks
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Milgauss
Hoping to add a 5196g to the collection.
billfredericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2019, 12:33 PM   #43
Bladeshot
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT 1675 PCG Gilt
Love the blue dial Rolexes. That particular PP does not appeal to me, but to each his own.
Old 8 August 2019, 12:40 PM   #44
golfski
"TRF" Member

Watch: me whip & nay nay
When I first saw the 5524, I told someone it looked like an IWC Pilot and wasn’t interested. But it has not left my mind since...I must have one now!

I am also a fan of the World Time, that would be my grail dress watch.
golfski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2019, 12:41 PM   #45
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfski View Post
When I first saw the 5524, I told someone it looked like an IWC Pilot and wasn’t interested. But it has not left my mind since...I must have one now!

I am also a fan of the World Time, that would be my grail dress watch.
it grows on you. Once that starts you might as well get it. It's inevitable.

Have you tried it on?
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2019, 01:05 PM   #46
Singslinger
"TRF" Member

That Patek (Ref 5524) is their pilot's watch and is sought-after because it doesn't look like a typical Patek. Lovely watch but expensive - a friend paid approx US$45k for it.

Not for me though, for that money I'd go with the full-gold GMT (CHNR).
Singslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2019, 01:12 PM   #47
Geaux Tigers
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub Date
Love the PP...on my list for sure. I went with the WG sub first...just felt like I wanted it a little more. I tried the WG Daytona and it too is greatness! My hesitation with PP is centered around the rumors of fairly frequent and slow servicing requirements.
Geaux Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2019, 03:57 PM   #48
FinWatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jona View Post
I looked at PP many times, but they are not my style and do not appeal to me. I appreciate their workmanship and status but I must take a hard pass.

The price is very high, one may ask why?

FinWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2019, 03:58 PM   #49
FinWatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I have found the price to be very fair. 72k but I do not know how often I will wear a strap watch with my young son spitting up all over me daily

Man that is a great piece congrats. I am contemplating rose myself. DD is tough there are too many options.

OP I apologize for hijacking your thread it was not my intention.

No worries: such a great conversation in every way! Watch related all the time!

Old 8 August 2019, 03:59 PM   #50
FinWatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dba View Post
No. I like Rolex.

Old 8 August 2019, 04:05 PM   #51
FinWatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juantxo View Post

This kind of stories I’ve read too many... seems that PP is a brand that one can’t trust. With the price that high one should have a feeling that you are about to get the watch for life (or for next generation as PP promotes..) with no worries...
Rolex is something you can trust.
Starting to feel that Patek is not for me.

Old 8 August 2019, 04:06 PM   #52
FinWatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougiebaby View Post
To each his own. That Patek does nothing for me ... it looks like a Hamilton Khaki

While I do like the Nautilus & Aquanaut, I do not love them. And I really do not love any Patek. If I wanted a similar watch, I would choose A. Lange.

Being too practical minded, I would do a PM Rolex before any boutique marque. I love knowing there is a totally reliable engine under the Rolex dial.

Old 8 August 2019, 04:09 PM   #53
golfski
"TRF" Member

Watch: me whip & nay nay
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
it grows on you. Once that starts you might as well get it. It's inevitable.

Have you tried it on?
I have not. When I do get a chance to try it on, it will be immediately followed by handing over my credit card.

I am most attracted to the size of it, many other traditional (round) PP models are much smaller and look too delicate. Looking at pictures it seems to have a good wrist presence, what would you compare it to size wise in the Rolex lineup?
golfski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2019, 04:12 PM   #54
FinWatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AboutTime View Post
I bought a BNIB Patek a few years back, kept it a few months, seldom wore it because it seemed very delicate, and sold it. I don't plan to buy another. If I were wealthy I might consider another Patek as part of a large collection but, since I'm not wealthy ...

These experiences are very important for me to read—Thank you and thank you all!!!

As I’ve been mirroring my thoughts through your experiences, I think I am about to skip Patek. I can imagine that this could happen to me too: not wearing the Patek because it feels so delicate.

I am also not that wealthy that I can just spend 35-40k on a watch without thinking it properly.... I start to experience a Rolex in a different light aswell:
I can buy whichever Rolex without thinking so much. So reliable, so easy to sell if needed.

Old 8 August 2019, 04:15 PM   #55
FinWatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
not really. I didn't set my 5164 for nearly a year. it ran the entire time. it was within like 30 seconds.

My 5524 was back from warranty work within a month. It was my fault, i dropped it and the pusher jammed. They fixed it anyway. I didn't tell them how it happened and they didn't ask. They had to open up the case and get into the movement though.

My 5164 remains my most accurate watch i own. Not the Rolexes and the 324 movement is the workhorse in most of the watches people around here are going to have.

On thing about Patek is they will restore and service anyones 100 year old watch. That takes ages obviously. Rolex won't touch your vintage watch and for sure won't keep it original. They have some obscure restoration department in geneva you can apply to get serviced, but who knows if its something a regular person can even get approved for. So if you have any aspirations of an heirloom watch and choose Rolex, better get use to third party services. The brand that made it no longer cares.

I can find more bad experiences from PP when comparing to Rolex...
I start to feel like Paul Pluta:
ROLEX ROLEX ROLEX !!!

Old 8 August 2019, 04:19 PM   #56
FinWatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrarchiegoodwin View Post
Gosh, a PP vs Rolex question?

My business manager and I don't agree on a lot, but both of us love the PP 5522. Styled as a pilot watch in the way of the understated IWC Marks (that I like except detaling of the case). And--way nifty for PP--the 5522 has a stainless steel case. It might be, perhaps, the ultimate expression of the pilot type watch available today. If PP had created a St. Exupery model I would be there with credit card in hand. Instead, there's a limited edition commemorating New York City that I don't associate with the romance of flight. After all, high end stuff trades in fantasy that I enjoy contemplating (even if the watch resembles a Hamilton).

I was impressed by and considered the 5524G as a more useful alternative to the 5522. I could definitely use the dual time function. But the gold case was a turn off. I am too sloppy for such a soft metal. I prefer the utility of stainless steel.

I agree with others that service takes a long time. I do not think it is a PP ploy. Or due to snootiness. And I hope the person who got bad service complained. Most watch brands can be repaired without sending to Geneva that PP requires, and takes extra time, and costs more. By contrast for example, in the US, AP is very well served in Clearwater, Florida. Yet, PP keeps the owner up to date on progress--especially for a comprehensive rebuild that takes many months because parts must be fabricated. I think service is good, but be prepared to pay several thousand dollars.

That is why I joined the Rolex camp many years ago. High end watch components are finished so precisely that they only operate within narrow tolerances. PP, AP (even Royal Oaks) cannot be banged about. Rolex is made to keep on ticking and I have definitely banged mine about.

Thank you for the thought provoking post.

Thank you for your thoughts!!!
I learned a lot from your post and many others here aswell.
It’s good that you talked about the material too:
Gold vs. steel?!
There are pros&cons in both, but which suits in my lifestyle the best!?!?!

Old 8 August 2019, 04:20 PM   #57
FinWatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
I mean I like the patek chronos, but other than the PP label here, what is their heritage with pilot watches? Same issue I have with there so called sport watches, zero heritage.

Rolex, iwc, breitling and some other have real pilot watch heritage. But if you like the style and have the coin, why not.

Yeah:
This PP model lacks the history.

Old 8 August 2019, 04:23 PM   #58
FinWatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singslinger View Post
That Patek (Ref 5524) is their pilot's watch and is sought-after because it doesn't look like a typical Patek. Lovely watch but expensive - a friend paid approx US$45k for it.

Not for me though, for that money I'd go with the full-gold GMT (CHNR).

The GMT is amazing...
Too many options!!
PP is expensive.... that’s a valid point:
What else you can get with that money?
Do I really want that watch? Really?? Does it feel right?
With that price it should feel like a perfect match.

Old 8 August 2019, 04:23 PM   #59
FinWatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geaux Tigers View Post
Love the PP...on my list for sure. I went with the WG sub first...just felt like I wanted it a little more. I tried the WG Daytona and it too is greatness! My hesitation with PP is centered around the rumors of fairly frequent and slow servicing requirements.

Me too... same hesitation...

Old 8 August 2019, 04:41 PM   #60
FinWatch
"TRF" Member

Black horse....
Tried also this....