The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 14 August 2022, 06:19 AM   #1
Boopie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Copper range hoods in the kitchen: regrets, recommendations?

I’m in the city plan check phase of a major kitchen remodel for my home (as the 1980s are long over). I’m at the researching and buying appliances stage, as the custom cabinet maker is going to need to work around appliances.

I have a small galley style kitchen, lacking any sort of stunning view as often seen in design photos (let alone an island), so we are doing a lot of work to make the space more efficient and attractive. I’m going to get a 36” range (likely Kitchen Aid), ie one piece with the gas burners on top and oven below.

As a “show stopping” design element I want to get a vintage-style copper range hood for ventilation up on top of the range (i.e. wall mounted). There are many manufacturers etc., none of which I’ve ever used before. I’ve remodeled a couple of bathrooms, but never a kitchen. Whatever we do has to look good and last for at least a decade, as we are planning on doing this only once.

As copper range hoods are expensive as heck (even the ready-made ones), I want to make sure I research and pick carefully before I order. I’d like one with the hammered look and some patina, ie between a shiny new penny and a darkened aged one. I also want to add decorative straps, etc. If adding texture, straps etc. to a copper hood isn’t a good idea over the long run (eg smooth is better) I’d be curious to know. I’d also appreciate any advice, positive or negative, on copper hoods.

I don’t want to make an expensive purchase that looks great when it’s new but doesn’t age well. Internet kitchen “after” remodel photos are usually taken right after a kitchen remodel is done, not after 5 years of daily use. Again, I’m planning on doing this just once.

There are a lot of companies that make copper range hoods, but I wanted to see if anyone has any recommendations (or suggestions on what to avoid).

I do cook every day, but more like steaks (on a cast iron skillet) and vegetables, not heavy saucy dishes with a wok. I have a couple of neighbors who cook very heavy dishes, and I can smell their food from the sidewalk out front. Clearly someone should’ve gotten a more powerful ventilation system…

Also, there are so many internal fan options, with different ventilation power. So, again, if anyone has experience with buying a fan that’s too weak, or the internal mechanism was great for the task, etc. I’d appreciate feedback.

Thanks!
Boopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2022, 06:46 AM   #2
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Buy some Barkeepers Friend copper polish and use every 3 - 6 months when you notice dulling. Simple and does the job. Soap and water every clean. Dust as normal.

There are no other functional or cosmetic considerations or maintenance requirements.

As this is a Rolex forum, I have to say buy Rose Gold plated only. About $15k for a decent one.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2022, 08:17 AM   #3
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Well, most copper range hoods, like sinks, are going to be sealed against corrosion/tarnishing. It is wear and scrubbing that may ruin this over time. Then you would be looking at frequent polishing.

I would seriously consider an induction top or range in a small kitchen. A 36” gas range can be a blast furnace in a small space. Also, you will need less CFM to vent an induction top and this means that you will be able to get by with a quieter vent hood.

Our biggest mistake with our remodel was not arguing with a local building inspector who stated we need a high velocity fan for a 36” range without considering it was not gas. Now we have a F16 worthy fan in the kitchen.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2022, 08:27 AM   #4
SpectralDodo49
Banned

Rose gold "plated"??? With your net worth I expect solid gold or nothing. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
Buy some Barkeepers Friend copper polish and use every 3 - 6 months when you notice dulling. Simple and does the job. Soap and water every clean. Dust as normal.

There are no other functional or cosmetic considerations or maintenance requirements.

As this is a Rolex forum, I have to say buy Rose Gold plated only. About $15k for a decent one.
SpectralDodo49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2022, 08:39 AM   #5
SpectralDodo49
Banned

We have remodeled two kitchens with the last 20 years, the last when we retired to a condo.

Anyway, I know "real" cooks prefer gas, but both our kitchens are smaller than what you see on TV, so we went with the hated electric stove (as a poster abbove recommends). We used Viking for both as we were happy with the performance and look.

We went with a Viking fridge, too, as SubZero would not fit in our space and Viking came with SS sides, etc. rather than the grey-painted metal sides of other brands like Kichen-aid.

We went with an Asko dishwasher. It was the quietest of the choices.

Good luck whatever you do. Oh, for style commonality we went with Professional-style handles on all the appliances. Those are the tubular handles. Many brands also have sculptural handles, so make sure your handle shapes match visually with each other.

And if you have wood floors (we do), make sure each appliance has a shut-off if it senses a water leak.
SpectralDodo49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2022, 09:47 AM   #6
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralDodo49 View Post
Rose gold "plated"??? With your net worth I expect solid gold or nothing. lol
The help and my wife steals my copper wires, appliances and electronics lighting and fixtures so plated is advised.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2022, 02:32 PM   #7
Mifune
Banned

Look for solid construction, not plated... but you'll pay for it.

I was looking for a solid hand hammered sink and I finally found a company that makes them... then I saw that they make hammered solid Nickel sink and I had to have it.

Mifune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2022, 12:29 AM   #8
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mifune View Post
Look for solid construction, not plated... but you'll pay for it.

I was looking for a solid hand hammered sink and I finally found a company that makes them... then I saw that they make hammered solid Nickel sink and I had to have it.

Awesome sink! And what is that stainless dispenser to the right of the sink?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
airchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2022, 12:36 AM   #9
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
OP, copper is awesome but two quick points:
1. So it also makes a great counter, just remember it is soft.
2. Go check out an induction top. Not electric. Induction. They provide similar temp control to gas, do not get hot, kick off if left on, and only require that you use cast iron/ss cookwear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
airchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2022, 08:17 AM   #10
Mifune
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by airchitect View Post
Awesome sink! And what is that stainless dispenser to the right of the sink?
thanks... that is a Berkey Water filtration system... they are awesome.
Mifune is offline   Reply With Quote