The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 11 August 2022, 03:55 AM   #1
asphaltcowboychip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko
Insurance for watches

Has anyone had luck with insurance for your watches. Anything more specific to a home owners or renters insurance? I saw Hodinkee was offering insurance as well.
asphaltcowboychip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2022, 04:57 AM   #2
ronricks
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610LV
I moved all my watches from Jeweler's Mutual to Hodinkee. Has been a great experience so far. Adding/Removing watches from the policy is a breeze compared to Jeweler's Mutual.
ronricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2022, 04:58 AM   #3
CMBX
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day Date II RG
I insure all of my watches and jewelry with Jewelers Mutual. Haven't had to make a claim-thank god, but chose them because I've heard they were one of the best, if not the best. I feel more comfortable wearing a 40k watch when its insured
CMBX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2022, 04:59 AM   #4
CMBX
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day Date II RG
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
I moved all my watches from Jeweler's Mutual to Hodinkee. Has been a great experience so far. Adding/Removing watches from the policy is a breeze compared to Jeweler's Mutual.
Just curious, did you have a bad experience with JM with a claim? Asking out of curiosity, since I'm insured through them
CMBX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2022, 05:04 AM   #5
swils8610
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I have a rider on my homeowners policy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2022, 05:34 AM   #6
ronricks
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMBX View Post
Just curious, did you have a bad experience with JM with a claim? Asking out of curiosity, since I'm insured through them
The only issues I had with JM was trying to add higher priced watches. Anything that wasn't Stainless Steel like my CHNR was going to take like 7 days to add to my policy which obviously wasn't going to fly. I am able to add new watches to Hodinkee (which is actually Chubb) in minutes and they even told me since I have more than one watch on the policy any new watch I purchase is automatically covered when I leave the store before I even add it. That alone makes Hodinkee the winner for me.
ronricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2022, 06:29 AM   #7
chris_1001
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub & SD 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by swils8610 View Post
I have a rider on my homeowners policy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Same and it was slightly cheaper than Hodinkee
chris_1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2022, 06:31 AM   #8
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
I’ll let you know how mine is. I think I have about 72 b&p Rolexeseses which I’ve misplaced recently.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2022, 06:45 AM   #9
PBJ1925
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 326934
Quote:
+1
PBJ1925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2022, 01:12 AM   #10
69mach351
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116900
I have it on with my home owners policy as well. For comparison sake, it is just under 1% annually, of what is insured/appraised.
69mach351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2022, 01:25 AM   #11
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
I have a JM policy and a high-security safe, although the safe predated the watch and is mainly for storing other valuables. If you have a lot of nice watches (or a lot of valuables in general, cash, crypto wallets, etc.), I highly recommend a high-security safe, even if the watches are insured.
Gab27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2022, 12:45 PM   #12
asphaltcowboychip
"TRF" Member

I obtained a quote from Hodinkee. Hodinkee's annual premium was quoted at less than half the home owners insurance.

My concern using Hodinkee was the process. They responded via email and forwarded me over to their App. The App was an underwriter or maybe an associated company of Hodinkee. If I remember correctly the App had 25 positive reviews.
Old 12 August 2022, 12:48 PM   #13
asphaltcowboychip
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Thanks for the information. I'll reach out to Jeweler's Mutual and weigh my options.
Old 12 August 2022, 10:27 PM   #14
stream26
"TRF" Member

From my research, there are 2 popular luxury watch insurance companies. One is Jewelers Mutual and the other one is Hodinkee (but we don’t have Hodnikee in Canada).

But JM was a deal breaker for me because they won't give me cash. They will work with my choice of jeweler to get my watch fixed.

Some people might say "I talked to several rep and they all said they will pay me cash". I understand. Odd things can be happened. But it's written on their policy that they will work with jeweler rather than pay you cash so I wouldn't bet for something it also "could" happen to me.
stream26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2022, 02:17 PM   #15
wesdaniel

Watch: Varies
Personal articles policy through State Farm.

$6 per year per $1,000 of insured value.

Inflation coverage included. No deductible.

Filed one claim in 2013 (watch stolen from my car). Had check in hand in 3 weeks (one week for them to try to find me a replacement watch, 2 weeks to finalize paperwork and get me the check). No increase in premiums for my other watches, and no change to my homeowners or other policies.

Filed another claim last year when a watch dropped and the crystal broke, but, in the end, decided that, for $900, it wasn't worth going through the claim and paid it out of pocket.

Policy covers theft, loss, and damage.

The way it works is, when you have a claim for a total loss (theft, loss), they will try to find you a watch for the face value of the policy. If they find you one, the provide details and you approve it. If they don't find you one, then they offer you the option of a cash payment to face value or for you to send them the difference between face value and the watch they find.
wesdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2022, 11:09 PM   #16
Urosfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me now
Separate rider on homeowners

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Urosfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2022, 02:23 AM   #17
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by asphaltcowboychip View Post
Has anyone had luck with insurance for your watches. Anything more specific to a home owners or renters insurance? I saw Hodinkee was offering insurance as well.
What do you mean by "luck"?
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2022, 03:31 PM   #18
asphaltcowboychip
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesdaniel View Post
Personal articles policy through State Farm.

$6 per year per $1,000 of insured value.

Inflation coverage included. No deductible.

Filed one claim in 2013 (watch stolen from my car). Had check in hand in 3 weeks (one week for them to try to find me a replacement watch, 2 weeks to finalize paperwork and get me the check). No increase in premiums for my other watches, and no change to my homeowners or other policies.

Filed another claim last year when a watch dropped and the crystal broke, but, in the end, decided that, for $900, it wasn't worth going through the claim and paid it out of pocket.

Policy covers theft, loss, and damage.

The way it works is, when you have a claim for a total loss (theft, loss), they will try to find you a watch for the face value of the policy. If they find you one, the provide details and you approve it. If they don't find you one, then they offer you the option of a cash payment to face value or for you to send them the difference between face value and the watch they find.
I'm curious if you don't have a home owners policy with them if they'll have the same pricing for just the policy specific for jewelry/watch?
Old 14 August 2022, 03:51 PM   #19
asphaltcowboychip
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
What do you mean by "luck"?
More specific I was looking for insight on how everyone has insured their watches. New guy question.
Old 15 August 2022, 03:06 AM   #20
SilverGhost
"TRF" Member

I use Hodinkee myself.
Send in a picture, agreed value, pay premium, done.
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2022, 03:20 AM   #21
Evan3037
"TRF" Member

I have all of all of my wife’s jewelry and my watches through Jewelers mutual. Haven’t had any claims before but found the process to add new items fairly easy.
Evan3037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2022, 04:33 AM   #22
morknmindy
"TRF" Member

How often do you need to adjust the policy as the market ebbs and flows?
morknmindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2022, 06:19 AM   #23
wesdaniel

Watch: Varies
Quote:
Originally Posted by asphaltcowboychip View Post
I'm curious if you don't have a home owners policy with them if they'll have the same pricing for just the policy specific for jewelry/watch?
Honestly don't know. I have essentially all of my insurance with them. I have a $2K limit for jewelry & watches on my HO policy, so, needed to do the PAP to go along with it for watches & jewelry.
wesdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote