The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 August 2022, 04:30 PM   #1
LooseCann0n
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona,Pepsi,SD4K
Rotor noisier recently.. advice??

I have a 2014 116600 Seadweller and it keeps excellent time since purchasing.

It is my go to watch on holiday as I use it when swimming (feels like the right thing to do!). However over the last holiday I have definitely started to hear the rotor more. It is not loud, more that I can feel it rotating when eg brushing my teeth. I am pretty sure it was not like this say 6 months ago but can’t be sure..

The timekeeping is still excellent - over the last 2 weeks holiday it is perhaps 5 sec fast (I know as I set it to the exact time when I landed) and there is no problem with the power reserve.

Should this be something I should be concerned about? Or just keep using it as normal - if is not bothering me but is this an indication that servicing may soon be needed?
It has been doing well - 8 years so far so no problem if it is..! Would just like to know.
Ta!
LooseCann0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2022, 05:21 PM   #2
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LooseCann0n View Post
I have a 2014 116600 Seadweller and it keeps excellent time since purchasing.

It is my go to watch on holiday as I use it when swimming (feels like the right thing to do!). However over the last holiday I have definitely started to hear the rotor more. It is not loud, more that I can feel it rotating when eg brushing my teeth. I am pretty sure it was not like this say 6 months ago but can’t be sure..

The timekeeping is still excellent - over the last 2 weeks holiday it is perhaps 5 sec fast (I know as I set it to the exact time when I landed) and there is no problem with the power reserve.

Should this be something I should be concerned about? Or just keep using it as normal - if is not bothering me but is this an indication that servicing may soon be needed?
It has been doing well - 8 years so far so no problem if it is..! Would just like to know.
Ta!
Today the main Achilles heel in most of the Rolex 31 series movements like the cal 3135 cal 3185/6/7 is the rotor shaft bearings. and IMHO its the 31 series movements weakest link the rotor winding sleeve bearings. Now these need proper lubrication and its very critical its done right, if it dries out especially in warm climates you will get severe wear in the bearing jewels. Looks like to me Rolex has sacrificed a bit in the engineering department for better winding efficiency. IMHO the small diameter winding post don't offer enough support to the rotor weight, but again some go on for decades without service, but many fail for the lack of. But if your rotor does need replacing then you can be 100% sure the movement needs a full service as well.And as your watch is 8 years old have a full RSC service sooner that later for piece of mind just encase rotor is starting to wear.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2022, 05:38 PM   #3
LooseCann0n
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona,Pepsi,SD4K
Thanks Padi - a classic example of the reason why this forum (and the wealth of knowledge from its members) is so amazing.
Just to clarify my understanding - you are saying that the bearings that allow the rotor to rotate is the problem (probably starting to wear out/down)?
If so, is there any reason why I should not wait till this breaks (or timekeeping becomes noticeably worse) to then send for service.
Or is there an advantage to sending this earlier when things are still running “fine” - so as to avoid unnecessary wear on the rotor (meaning it will not need replacing where if I waited it would)?
LooseCann0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2022, 06:17 PM   #4
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

It could be either the bearing or the shaft post wear, which could scatter very very very tiny metal fragment's into rest of movement, speaking for myself I would bite the bullet and have it serviced then after service you will have a two year movement warranty.

ICom Pro3

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Old 13 August 2022, 06:19 PM   #5
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by LooseCann0n View Post
Thanks Padi - a classic example of the reason why this forum (and the wealth of knowledge from its members) is so amazing.
Just to clarify my understanding - you are saying that the bearings that allow the rotor to rotate is the problem (probably starting to wear out/down)?
If so, is there any reason why I should not wait till this breaks (or timekeeping becomes noticeably worse) to then send for service.
Or is there an advantage to sending this earlier when things are still running “fine” - so as to avoid unnecessary wear on the rotor (meaning it will not need replacing where if I waited it would)?
If you wait and you're right about the issue, it will start wearing the post away and scatter powdered metal dust through the movement(which is bad).
If you are right, and send it in early you will catch it before anything nasty starts to happen.
At the time your watch was made, it was generally expected throughout the industry to have a reasonable service interval between 5-7 years.
It sounds like it's due for a service
Prudence dictates that it should be serviced
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2022, 12:21 AM   #6
os993
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub C SS (116610)
After 6yrs of constant wearing my sub 116610, I also have this noise. It came out of nowhere. I’m a bit disappointed actually. Yes, I wear the Rolex daily, but I’m not golfing or banging this think day and night. Took it in for service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
os993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2022, 12:46 AM   #7
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Today the main Achilles heel in most of the Rolex 31 series movements like the cal 3135 cal 3185/6/7 is the rotor shaft bearings. and IMHO its the 31 series movements weakest link the rotor winding sleeve bearings. Now these need proper lubrication and its very critical its done right, if it dries out especially in warm climates you will get severe wear in the bearing jewels. Looks like to me Rolex has sacrificed a bit in the engineering department for better winding efficiency. IMHO the small diameter winding post don't offer enough support to the rotor weight, but again some go on for decades without service, but many fail for the lack of. But if your rotor does need replacing then you can be 100% sure the movement needs a full service as well.And as your watch is 8 years old have a full RSC service sooner that later for piece of mind just encase rotor is starting to wear.
Come on now Peter … you mean to tell me the 31xx movements aren’t fallible?
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2022, 01:50 AM   #8
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
My wife's Datejust has rotor bearing noise after just three years and the warranty at the time was still two years. And the watch was in rotation with three others.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2022, 02:32 AM   #9
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by os993 View Post
After 6yrs of constant wearing my sub 116610, I also have this noise. It came out of nowhere. I’m a bit disappointed actually. Yes, I wear the Rolex daily, but I’m not golfing or banging this think day and night. Took it in for service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, this is the compromise of these movements. The rotors in the new 32xx movements have a sturdier ball bearing setup, but they’re louder, and the whole rotor needs to be replaced when they do fail. It’s a trade off, and I’m not sure which setup I prefer.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2022, 03:50 AM   #10
uansari1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar 16570
My 16610 is ready for a service after five years for this very reason, despite the fact that it was worn in rotation it’s now noisier than it should be again. Last time I got it serviced, it was also due to the rotor axle/shaft/whatever it is…

In contrast, the 3130 and 3186 in my Exp and ExpII seem to not have this issue.
Explorer 124270
Omega Seamaster GMT 50th Anniversary
uansari1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2022, 07:12 AM   #11
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
Yeah, this is the compromise of these movements. The rotors in the new 32xx movements have a sturdier ball bearing setup, but they’re louder, and the whole rotor needs to be replaced when they do fail. It’s a trade off, and I’m not sure which setup I prefer.
I think the old setup is better.
If it starts to run dry and impacts the performance of the watch in a noticeable manner, it's basically acting as a forcing function to get the movement serviced.
On the balance of probability there is going to be other parts of the movement that need to be cleaned and get fresh lube anyway
Old 14 August 2022, 07:23 AM   #12
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uansari1 View Post
My 16610 is ready for a service after five years for this very reason, despite the fact that it was worn in rotation it’s now noisier than it should be again. Last time I got it serviced, it was also due to the rotor axle/shaft/whatever it is…

In contrast, the 3130 and 3186 in my Exp and ExpII seem to not have this issue.
The 3130 and 3186 have the exact same design.
Keep in mind that service intervals for the 31xx movements as well as other movements by other manufacturers were and still are recommended to be between 5-7 years anyway regardless of bearing design.
With some even reportedly going a decade or two before needing a service depending on how they're used
Yours is in accordance with industry expectations
As Peter says, it's all dependent upon how well the servicing is done
Old 14 August 2022, 07:34 AM   #13
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
My wife's Datejust has rotor bearing noise after just three years and the warranty at the time was still two years. And the watch was in rotation with three others.
So from what you are saying your wife's watch has already been serviced just 3 years ago
Who did the service?
3 years is is an extremely short period of time and would have to be a record

I generally consider myself to be hard on a watch and typically get about 5-5.5 years out of any Auto wind watch before it needs a service that's used a daily wearer and regardless of manufacturer.
Old 14 August 2022, 05:29 PM   #14
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Come on now Peter … you mean to tell me the 31xx movements aren’t fallible?
Well its the other newer movements that are more fallible Brian, but mainly to those magnificent men in there timegrapher machines.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 14 August 2022, 05:43 PM   #15
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Noticed this on a 3135 after 10 years ,year 11 it for the first time lost a few seconds and hand winding wasn't as smooth as always.
Service time at RSC

Got is back ,looking like new and running perfectly .
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote