The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 August 2018, 11:15 PM   #91
DJRikki
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgByte View Post
As most people know, Rolex transitioned to 904L steel in the early 2000's. It's easy to Google hardness studies between 904L and the industry standard 316L steel. The evidence is clear. It's hard to imagine Rolex spending millions in additional tooling costs if there wasn't a marked quality difference in changing steel. There's a Youtube video that covers why Rolex went to 904L and the impacts to tooling and the manufacturing process.

Here's some information about 904L steel. I think you were unlucky to catch the fall at a bad angle. I've banged my GMT up against granite countertop a couple of times with no dings or scratches.

https://beckertime.com/blog/what-is-...of-904l-steel/
Well ... as has been noted by others in this forum 904L is softer. Even the terminology of "it takes a polish better" means that too.

Ive cape cod polished my BLNR with ease, also scuffed it with ease compared to 316L watches.

Not overly fussed but the only benefit is the corrosion resistance and thats at the downfall of hardness.
Old 17 August 2018, 11:45 PM   #92
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgByte View Post
As most people know, Rolex transitioned to 904L steel in the early 2000's. It's easy to Google hardness studies between 904L and the industry standard 316L steel. The evidence is clear. It's hard to imagine Rolex spending millions in additional tooling costs if there wasn't a marked quality difference in changing steel. There's a Youtube video that covers why Rolex went to 904L and the impacts to tooling and the manufacturing process.

Here's some information about 904L steel. I think you were unlucky to catch the fall at a bad angle. I've banged my GMT up against granite countertop a couple of times with no dings or scratches.

https://beckertime.com/blog/what-is-...of-904l-steel/
Of course Rolex today portrays 904L as "Super Alloy" now they call it Oystersteel, but whether its made of 316L or 904L does it really matter Rolex first introduced 904L around 1987 with models like the 168000 Sub.But many thousands of vintage Rolex are still in this world today with the industry norm 316L.Same could be said of the millions upon millions of high end and other Swiss watches in this world today that use 316L.The only difference between the 316L and 904L is its higher nickel content.Plus its slightly higher resistance to strong acids like sulphuric acid what 904L was developed for.And it has a slightly higher resistance to salt water.So if you don't regularly live 24/7 underwater or expose your watch to strong acids in the real world IMHO no real advantage only the bragging factor by Rolex,a secret just keep them clean no matter the metal.

Below is a quote from a Rolex employee back in 2002 but might have altered now but would doubt if Rolex would say so.

Quote from Rolex employee in 2002.
At the moment, we have several companies all over the world, serving our needs for stainless steel. The watch case backs and bracelets are all made of (X2CrNiMo17-12-2 S. steel)( now that is the formula for 316L) which is the best compromise between the attributes of the variant materials. As usual, the steel is melted under vacuum, so we get an very pure base, which is easy to handle and allows an perfect polishing. I think, the same procedure as in every good gold manufacturing company.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2018, 11:46 PM   #93
Beowulf
"TRF" Member

My SubC's steel feels really soft but only when I compare it to my Omega DSOTM. 8x harder and zero scratches :P
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2022, 06:13 PM   #94
ecbkk
"TRF" Member

My wife just asked me, "are you ok?!" and I lied to her that I hit my toe on something because I didn't want to admit that the loud weird pained grunting sound I just made, which she heard from the kitchen, was my reaction to your Rolex ding photo.
ecbkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2022, 08:28 PM   #95
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecbkk View Post
My wife just asked me, "are you ok?!" and I lied to her that I hit my toe on something because I didn't want to admit that the loud weird pained grunting sound I just made, which she heard from the kitchen, was my reaction to your Rolex ding photo.

You do realise this thread is 4 years old.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2022, 01:00 AM   #96
ecbkk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
You do realise this thread is 4 years old.
I bet that ding is still there, 4 years later. looks too deep to polish out
ecbkk is offline   Reply With Quote