The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 8 August 2022, 11:13 PM   #1
Ketler
"TRF" Member

50 meters is a little over 160 feet...

So why are so many people so afraid to swim with the New Speedmaster...???
Ketler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2022, 11:22 PM   #2
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
You can swim with a Speedy according to Omega.

As with any watch, just make sure the seals are good to go.

20220808_092042.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2022, 11:34 PM   #3
Ketler
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
You can swim with a Speedy according to Omega.

As with any watch, just make sure the seals are good to go.

Attachment 1310842

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Yes I know this. So why do I read so many posts where people say you shouldn’t???
Old 9 August 2022, 12:18 AM   #4
PhilLynott
"TRF" Member

Watch: Breguet marine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketler View Post
Yes I know this. So why do I read so many posts where people say you shouldn’t???
To me it's because you don't need a watch on to swim so if you're going to do it one with non-screw down crown and pushers isn't the best choice. If it's your only choice and you must have a watch on to swim then go for it but the potential risk even if small is bad so just make sure the joy of having it on outweighs that.
Old 9 August 2022, 12:24 AM   #5
Ketler
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilLynott View Post
To me it's because you don't need a watch on to swim so if you're going to do it one with non-screw down crown and pushers isn't the best choice. If it's your only choice and you must have a watch on to swim then go for it but the potential risk even if small is bad so just make sure the joy of having it on outweighs that.
Cheers.
Old 9 August 2022, 01:31 AM   #6
alllexandru
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Ouch

alllexandru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2022, 01:52 AM   #7
Jbizios
"TRF" Member

On a semi-related point, curious as to what the golden rule is as to how often to test the seals of a watch.

Is it safe to assume that the frequency for a newer watch might not be the same as an older watch?
Jbizios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2022, 02:08 AM   #8
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Quote:
I think it's more to do with you don't want to accidentally activate the pushers while underwater. If I wear a watch to the pool, it's normally my Seamaster but I wouldn't be afraid to get my Speedy wet if I had it on.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2022, 06:20 AM   #9
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
I feel like there is higher inherent risk that water would get inside the case, and there are other watches better suited for the pool or the surf, so my choice is to use something other than my Speedmaster Pro in the water.

I don't recall ever seeing a post on any watch forum saying someone swam with his Speedmaster Pro and had a problem afterward, and I've been hanging around these fora since 2005.
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2022, 07:21 AM   #10
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So why are so many people so afraid to swim with the New Speedmaster...???
I also wonder the same thing. I mean you could actually dive with it if the seals are good.

I think it stems from the general guidelines (for most other watches) that 30M is basically splashproof, 50 meters is OK for swimming, etc... (don't quote me on that)

But Omega says the spec on the watch is actual, so yeah you could dive with the Speedmaster as long as you don't use the pushers underwater, and yeah 50 meters is deep. Quite deep, even for diving.

I think many misinformed have passed over the Speedmaster due to water resistance... if they only knew...

I had to google this chart, I know I've seen it somewhere, but I can't remember where I navigated on Omega's site... notice is says each and every Omega... tested to it's relative pressure... in water.
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2022, 08:44 AM   #11
Bluside
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alllexandru View Post
Ouch

WTH? Please explain.
Bluside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2022, 09:42 PM   #12
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
50 meters is a little over 160 feet...

All this is a moot point for me. My Speedmaster is on an alligator leather strap. I don’t swim with watches on a leather strap. Even if the watch can handle it, the strap surely can’t. Plus, I have 2 divers anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2022, 11:22 PM   #13
ree7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I think because it's a non screw-down and the only thing shielding it would be the gaskets. Now if you're sure the gaskets are in good condition (which Omega recommends to be checked every year), it should be safe.
Problem is not everyone checks their gaskets every year.
ree7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2022, 11:45 PM   #14
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

There are better options for a pool, it’s kinda obvious. Could doesn’t mean should
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2022, 12:27 AM   #15
alllexandru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluside View Post
WTH? Please explain.

It is safe to wash you hands

I’ve been in a pool with my speedy, no issues , omega says you can swim as long waterproofing is annually checked
Not for diving but ok for swimming
Old 10 August 2022, 12:44 AM   #16
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

I’ve been in a pool with my speedy, no issues , omega says you can swim as long waterproofing is annually checked
That’s how I view it as well

The hand washing shot is awesome
Old 10 August 2022, 02:10 AM   #17
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

I don't swim with my Speedmaster, but that's purely a function of owning several dive watches that I prefer to bring with me to the beach or pool. Some watches like my Portugeiser I don't swim with because it's on a leather strap and I don't want to change it. I have two IWC Pilot Chronos that come on canvas straps that avoid water for the same reason. My Speedmaster and my Chrono-Matic; I just can't bring myself to swim with them even though both are on bracelets and have atleast 50 meters of water resistance. Risk is low, I am probably being unreasonable, I just can't help but feel that chronos aren't suitable for watersports.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2022, 05:09 AM   #18
TimeLord2

Watch: GMT Master 1675/3
If it is vintage and newly serviced, it should be fine. However, with some of these vintage watches, the dial is about 60-70% of the value and probably not the best idea to risk it with a vintage watch. That said, if you consider a Rolex a beater watch then no worries! Now if it was new, yea, get it wet, swim in a pool, go snorkeling and scuba diving. I do think Chronos are better suited for the track than the water even though risk is low… but again do you consider it a beater?
TimeLord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2022, 11:11 AM   #19
Ketler
"TRF" Member

Thanks everyone for the input I really appreciate it.
Old 10 August 2022, 03:05 PM   #20
Andad

Watch: A few.
My Rolex Daytons is rated to 100m.

The pushers don't have screw down seals.

The two Omega charts show on this thread are at odds with one another.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2022, 04:57 PM   #21
amanbra
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post
My Rolex Daytons is rated to 100m.

The pushers don't have screw down seals.

The two Omega charts show on this thread are at odds with one another.

From what I understand the chrono screws don’t actually seal but categorically stop accidental presses underwater. Also read somewhere using pushers under water is okay but never ever going to try.

amanbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2022, 05:10 PM   #22
alllexandru

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post

The hand washing shot is awesome
Thank you Brian!
Old 10 August 2022, 08:27 PM   #23
Bluside
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

OK. I see now. I couldn't quite figure out what was going on in that picture.
Bluside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2022, 09:05 AM   #24
GTS Dean
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3570.50
I've snorkeled with my Moonwatch when it was pretty new. I leisurely swim with it anytime. I would never go water skiing or jet-skiing with it on. The force of water spray or crash impact would likely compromise the seals.
Old 11 August 2022, 04:59 PM   #25
Polar Bear
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai PAM687
I'm going diving next weekend
Wreck is at 40 meters
If anyone wants to send me a Speedy, I'll take it down and report back

That having been said, you'll notice Omega themselves say that you shouldn't snorkel with a watch that has a less than a 100mtrs WR Rating
Don't know of many snorkelers that can manage 10mtrs, let alone 100
Most people in a swimming pool wouldn't go much shallower than someone who is snorkeling

Either way
Water Ingress is not covered under warranty (AFAIK) so if you swim with your Speedy and it fills with water, you're boned
Easier just to take it off
Old 11 August 2022, 11:21 PM   #26
anonymousmoose
"TRF" Member

Speedmasters aren't designed for water sports but have enough resilience built in to withstand some if needed.

Just because it can, doesn't mean it's intended that you should.

Seamaster on the other hand - go nuts in the water. Only real risk is springbar failure
Old 14 August 2022, 06:31 PM   #27
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Crazy how the op posts about the inherent fear people have about getting a Speedmaster wet and in spite of data and absence of any data showing there are owners who've had their watch ruined by getting it wet, people even in this thread continue to perpetuate the fear.
Omega says you can get it wet up to a certain depth as per it's official rating, why argue. Don't press the pushers under water, don't conduct active water sports, but if a person goes on vacation and takes a dip in the pool, let's not exaggerate that the watch will implode with water damage...."somehow"....just because.

Lets not keep perpetuating folklore about Speedmasters getting wet. It's a watch tested by NASA for astronauts and that testing includes everything from water to space and all the temperatures and shocks that are involved with going to space and back. So if mister speedmaster owner goes on vaca and wants to take a quick dip in the pool or frolick in the ocean in between cocktails, I am sure it will be fine especially the METAS Speedys.

If you're panicking and nervous, well that's just you, it's not the watch's capabilities, let's not confuse the two.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2022, 11:36 PM   #28
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
Crazy how the op posts about the inherent fear people have about getting a Speedmaster wet and in spite of data and absence of any data showing there are owners who've had their watch ruined by getting it wet, people even in this thread continue to perpetuate the fear.
Omega says you can get it wet up to a certain depth as per it's official rating, why argue. Don't press the pushers under water, don't conduct active water sports, but if a person goes on vacation and takes a dip in the pool, let's not exaggerate that the watch will implode with water damage...."somehow"....just because.

Lets not keep perpetuating folklore about Speedmasters getting wet. It's a watch tested by NASA for astronauts and that testing includes everything from water to space and all the temperatures and shocks that are involved with going to space and back. So if mister speedmaster owner goes on vaca and wants to take a quick dip in the pool or frolick in the ocean in between cocktails, I am sure it will be fine especially the METAS Speedys.

If you're panicking and nervous, well that's just you, it's not the watch's capabilities, let's not confuse the two.

I think most guys that have a Speedmaster also have at least one diver too. In my case, I have 2. So of course we’re going to choose the divers over the speedy when water is involved.

Also, lots of guys have a Speedmaster on a leather strap. So that’s another constraint when it comes to water.

Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2022, 05:04 AM   #29
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Well said
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2022, 08:27 PM   #30
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote: