The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 August 2018, 11:03 PM   #61
GarbanzoNegro
"TRF" Member

That’s a pity!

I fully understand you. I would feel the same.

Actually, I never had a similar issue with my watch (many scratches, though, with which I am fine, by the way).
GarbanzoNegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2018, 11:23 PM   #62
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
904L is ‘softer’ than 316L?

If your 904 case scratches or ‘dings’ then so will your 316 under the same conditions, velocity, angle, material of contact, etc.
5% softer in fact Eddie

Makes sense when you look at its composition compared to 316

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2018, 02:32 AM   #63
Dumas1012
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
Thanks for the recommendations guys. It's been a little over a week and I'm over it. I've always been a little paranoid when wearing my Rolexs. Making sure the seat belt, back back straps don't rub against it etc... LOL.
Dumas1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2018, 03:35 AM   #64
cornerstore
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
904L is ‘softer’ than 316L?

If your 904 case scratches or ‘dings’ then so will your 316 under the same conditions, velocity, angle, material of contact, etc.
My 116520 Daytona dropped on a glass table top, a 2ft drop max. Not a mark on the glass table . Rolex steel soft like butter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 49B9F5FC-7838-44DE-B32A-4A24CB44B5AC.jpeg (100.8 KB, 208 views)
cornerstore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2018, 10:52 AM   #65
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmaker View Post
It is not for me to say if it worth it, laser welding is the right answer for some people and for others a new case is.

My main point was that there is zero chance of the dent being polished out.
Agreed.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2018, 11:02 PM   #66
Mephist
"TRF" Member

I just scratched my one week old Datejust against a wood plank. Just a normal wood plank, and it made lots of scratches. Yes Rolex steel is too soft.

Old 16 August 2018, 11:07 PM   #67
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephist View Post
I just scratched my one week old Datejust against a wood plank. Just a normal wood plank, and it made lots of scratches. Yes Rolex steel is too soft.

No its not the metal that's to soft its the watch owners that are to soft fretting every time they see the slightest scratch or ding.But it's how the metal is finely tempered that effects the hardness of any metal and there is nothing magical about 904L SS now called oystersteel to any other SS used in the watch trade today.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2018, 11:11 PM   #68
Mephist
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
No its not the metal that's to soft its the watch owners that are to soft fretting every time they see the slightest scratch or ding.But it's how the metal is finely tempered that effects the hardness of any metal and there is nothing magical about 904L SS now called oystersteel to any other SS used in the watch trade today.
If I keep this up then within 6 weeks all polished parts will look like brushed steel, the Datejust will look like a OP with date.
Old 16 August 2018, 11:16 PM   #69
normalboywatches
Banned

Quote:
Oh come on, it’s absolutley ridiculous and patronising to call people “SOFT” for not wanting to scratch a brand new watch which they have just spent £5-10,000 on.

It’s completley FINE to NOT want to scratch a new £5,000 watch, and also completley FINE to feel devastated when you eventually do! If you don’t care then you had may as well just bought a £200 Tissot instead.

Last edited by normalboywatches; 16 August 2018 at 11:17 PM.. Reason: Grammar
normalboywatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2018, 11:29 PM   #70
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by normalboywatches View Post
Oh come on, it’s absolutley ridiculous and patronising to call people “SOFT” for not wanting to scratch a brand new watch which they have just spent £5-10,000 on.

It’s completley FINE to NOT want to scratch a new £5,000 watch, and also completley FINE to feel devastated when you eventually do! If you don’t care then you had may as well just bought a £200 Tissot instead.
I for one don't care at all because it is perfectly normal and unavoidable for any polished steel surface to get scratched up.
Since you can't do anything about it why feel devastated if it happens, come on, it's only a watch and not like the end of the world.
If you can't handle scratches, don't buy a watch you are going to use, Tissot or Rolex
Old 16 August 2018, 11:33 PM   #71
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by normalboywatches View Post

Look its a fact wearing any watch they will get scratched no matter the price paid, either get over that fact or leave watch in its box.And most all normal wearing scratches easily rectified at normal routine service every 5-8 years a Rolex is just a watch much like any other watch and no matter the name or price will get scratched .

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2018, 11:53 PM   #72
Mephist
"TRF" Member

I am trying to stay strong here, but god you guys are so mean!

Old 17 August 2018, 12:01 AM   #73
Bregow
"TRF" Member

Now is a very unique rolex, congrats for you mark, everyone have a similar history, don't bother about it!
Bregow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2018, 12:03 AM   #74
Brian Page
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephist View Post
I am trying to stay strong here, but god you guys are so mean!

Brian Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2018, 01:21 AM   #75
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Look its a fact wearing any watch they will get scratched no matter the price paid, either get over that fact or leave watch in its box.And most all normal wearing scratches easily rectified at normal routine service every 5-8 years a Rolex is just a watch much like any other watch and no matter the name or price will get scratched .

But...
if left it in its box...
new questions will come...
Is Rolex metal attracting more dust than others?
Is Rolex lume degrading more in dark than others?
Is Rolex box fading more than others?

Sorry, couldn’t help it...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2018, 01:25 AM   #76
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
But...
if left it in its box...
new questions will come...
Is Rolex metal attracting more dust than others?
Is Rolex lume degrading more in dark than others?
Is Rolex box fading more than others?

Sorry, couldn’t help it...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wait....wait....here's the 64K question; Will the pillow in the Rolex box STRETCH out my bracelet??!!
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2018, 01:36 AM   #77
nektar
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Good to know; actually.. Good to know!
nektar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2018, 01:39 AM   #78
normalboywatches
Banned

Quote:
Yes, of course it will eventually get scratched. Im not an advocate for "babying" watches, but getting an expensive watch dinged or scratched within the first week is always going to hurt, and if you say it doesn't then you obviously have more money than sense! You can always buy another right? After all its just money.

So by your logic if you buy a brand new £120,000 car and it gets all scratched up down the side by some other driver just after leaving the showroom you shouldn't care at all because thats always a risk with driving.

By your logic after you've just bought a new house and it gets covered in graffiti 2 weeks later you shouldn't care because people are allowed to walk around with spray cans, just learn to love your newly tagged front door.

By your logic if you install a brand new oven in your kitchen theres no point in ever cleaning it as eventually it'll just get messy, greasy and dirty anyway so why bother?

ERRRR...dont think so!
normalboywatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2018, 01:50 AM   #79
Raku
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer
If people are worried about little hairline signs (can't even call them scratches) might as well leave the watches in their boxes or not buy them at all.
Rolex watches are meant to be worn, they will most likely outlast their owners.
Not even the Sinn tegimented cases or the Damasko ice hardened ones are scratch proof.
Raku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2018, 02:15 AM   #80
SeaAndSky
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 LN
No, I don't find steel to be soft. Hit anyone on the planet in the head with a piece of it and they'll agree. Even the ones posting here about how soft it is. That said, steel isn't as hard as unmarkatium. And until we discover a deposit of that elusive metal the fact remains if you wear your watch it's going to get scratched, dented, marked up, swirled, and lose some of it's gloss. I'd really like to see this forum move back towards people enjoying their watches and sharing more photos of worn watches and articles about all things Rolex. And I'd love to see less speculating on prices and future worth and how to rub Cape Cod on that one tiny scratch.
SeaAndSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2018, 03:00 AM   #81
gttime
"TRF" Member

Congrats and sorry. I married an awesome woman. Marriage is awesome and hard at the same time.

As for the dent it’s the crispness of the edge. Rolex has very sharp case edges doesn’t surprise me at all. I scratched the side of my DSSD just measuring it with calipers. Very annoying!
gttime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2018, 03:11 AM   #82
TSts
"TRF" Member

As an owner of a company that produces specialized instruments from various types of high strength steel (heat treated to H900 condition), I have surmised that the Rolex SS watch cases and bracelets are in the 'soft' annealed condition for ease of machining and are not heat treated after machining due to material shrinkage. You can drop any of our company's components that are similar in size and weight to a Rolex case, from 5 ft., and it will not dent. However, in annealed condition, it will produce a dent.

116710LN
116300blro
TSts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2018, 03:30 AM   #83
Colin G
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570, 214270
Quote:
I agree.

Padi, you could buy 904L SS from me ( I sell stainless steel for a living) and you could make a product and label it made of Padisteel.

Rolex is definitely not reinventing the stainless wheel here.
Colin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2018, 03:36 AM   #84
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
5% softer in fact Eddie

Makes sense when you look at its composition compared to 316
its still steel though so its not like its much of a practical difference.

I honestly have never noticed any variant of steel being more prone to scratches/dents than any other
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2018, 03:36 AM   #85
DawgByte
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT IIc
As most people know, Rolex transitioned to 904L steel in the early 2000's. It's easy to Google hardness studies between 904L and the industry standard 316L steel. The evidence is clear. It's hard to imagine Rolex spending millions in additional tooling costs if there wasn't a marked quality difference in changing steel. There's a Youtube video that covers why Rolex went to 904L and the impacts to tooling and the manufacturing process.

Here's some information about 904L steel. I think you were unlucky to catch the fall at a bad angle. I've banged my GMT up against granite countertop a couple of times with no dings or scratches.

https://beckertime.com/blog/what-is-...of-904l-steel/
DawgByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2018, 03:47 AM   #86
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgByte View Post
Rolex now uses 904L steel, which is superior in both corrosive resistance and hardness. Here's some information about 904L steel. I think you were unlucky to catch the fall at a bad angle. I've banged my GMT up against granite countertop a couple of times with no dings or scratches.

https://beckertime.com/blog/what-is-...of-904l-steel/
They've been doing that for quite a while now.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2018, 03:54 AM   #87
DawgByte
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT IIc
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
They've been doing that for quite a while now.
I edited the original post.
DawgByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2018, 04:00 AM   #88
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgByte View Post
I edited the original post.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2018, 04:22 AM   #89
liuk3
"TRF" Member

Seems normal to me.
Old 17 August 2018, 04:49 AM   #90
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Not much to add; my understanding is the change to 904L was to reduce corrosion and thus improve long term water resistance. I've also heard that 904 polishes better than 316 so it makes the watches more appealing when viewed. Best solution is not to drop watches. If someone is allergic to nickel than the 904L can be a problem.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote