The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 11 August 2022, 04:01 AM   #9721
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Up 38% on grwg in just a few days.

That’s how you know something is still wrong.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2022, 05:14 AM   #9722
Doc Savage
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
yeah but inflation is a very lagging indicator in terms of company profits. we will see big tech have reduced earnings due to full effects of inflation for q3/4 but at the same time inflation should be much reduced when those earnings reports come out since they're 3 months behind. this is assuming it continues coming down though
I can't think of anything that's going to bring inflation down noticeably any time soon.

Look at the late '70s and early '80s (the last time we had inflation this high). Back then, the Fed was making big, regular increases to the funds rate (much bigger than the small moves happening right now), and it still took a long time to get inflation under control.

-Edward O. Wilson
Doc Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2022, 05:50 AM   #9723
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

just had a long conversation with a car broker. he is getting out the business. we got to talking about views on the economy in general.

his thoughts are that by xmas things will be fubar.

results of inflation will be felt in Q3 and Q4 reporting. High consumer credit card debt, and inept constantly fighting government (both sides, please leave it at that) and simply an inability to get the national debt under control will spiral and cause a real reason for a big drop.

I tend to agree. the fact that everything has jumped the way it has the last few weeks, with no real reason, to me, is an indicator that things are still way out of wack.

I also see way less people spending right now. Cars, watches and other unnecessary items are simply not moving. why? super high pricing and already high credit card debt. combine that with the current and future layoffs and we have a real recipe for disaster.

things will get better before they get worse. 3000 S&P, I am not so sure. But I am not optimistic on the future.

I see tons are articles claiming the bear market is over. I simply do not think so.

Old 11 August 2022, 06:12 AM   #9724
BNA/LION
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
Received this from our Financial Advisor's June 30th and it has some interesting information that I thought I'd pass along to this group.

The 2022 Midyear Outlook

After a volatile first half of the year marked by surging inflation and uncertain economic conditions, what’s in store for interest rates, the Fed, and financial markets?
Janet Engels, Head of the Portfolio Advisory Group – U.S., Tom Garretson, Fixed Income Senior Portfolio Strategist, and Tylar Lunke, Senior Manager of the Managed Portfolio Strategies team, share highlights from the Midyear Outlook and discuss what to expect from the rest of 2022.

Listen here(approximately 14-minute duration).
https://rbcplayer.com/Global_Insight...outlook_063022

For more, please see the2022 Midyear Outlook.
https://www.rbcinsight.com/WM/Share/...A71A4A34F6950C

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2022, 09:27 AM   #9725
austinp
"TRF" Member

Nobody really knows what the future holds. Any predictions are just guesses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
austinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2022, 10:10 AM   #9726
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinp View Post

Absolutely agree.

Wish I could internalize that.

Old 12 August 2022, 12:49 AM   #9727
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
just had a long conversation with a car broker. he is getting out the business. we got to talking about views on the economy in general.

his thoughts are that by xmas things will be fubar.

results of inflation will be felt in Q3 and Q4 reporting. High consumer credit card debt, and inept constantly fighting government (both sides, please leave it at that) and simply an inability to get the national debt under control will spiral and cause a real reason for a big drop.

I tend to agree. the fact that everything has jumped the way it has the last few weeks, with no real reason, to me, is an indicator that things are still way out of wack.

I also see way less people spending right now. Cars, watches and other unnecessary items are simply not moving. why? super high pricing and already high credit card debt. combine that with the current and future layoffs and we have a real recipe for disaster.

things will get better before they get worse. 3000 S&P, I am not so sure. But I am not optimistic on the future.

I see tons are articles claiming the bear market is over. I simply do not think so.
It seems super weird that a car broker would be concerned about macros such as national debt. At a nuts and bolts level (because you used the be in the biz directly or indirectly right?) are these guys just holding too much inventory they overpaid for or what do you think is the real story here?
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2022, 12:58 AM   #9728
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
It seems super weird that a car broker would be concerned about macros such as national debt. At a nuts and bolts level (because you used the be in the biz directly or indirectly right?) are these guys just holding too much inventory they overpaid for or what do you think is the real story here?
no sir. what he does is find and buy cars for people. he also facilitates leases etc. because he has so much more buying power, he gets better deals and passes them along with a vig.

in todays world, he says everyone is simply complaining that all costs are too high, and no one is buying. he has completely dried up.

the conversation, and my retelling, includes much of my own concerns as to where the economy is heading and what is currently happening.

but he wants out because he is busting his ass, but no one is buying.

Old 12 August 2022, 01:49 AM   #9729
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
no sir. what he does is find and buy cars for people. he also facilitates leases etc. because he has so much more buying power, he gets better deals and passes them along with a vig.

in todays world, he says everyone is simply complaining that all costs are too high, and no one is buying. he has completely dried up.

the conversation, and my retelling, includes much of my own concerns as to where the economy is heading and what is currently happening.

but he wants out because he is busting his ass, but no one is buying.
Out of genuine curiosity (because this is what I try to wrap my mind around)...I hear and read other stories like the one you recounted and therefore believe them to be true. At the same time, it seems like Tesla is still selling at a good clip through backlog M3 orders, and Ford is still selling through F150 backlog pretty quickly. Plus ford just announced that price hike.

So I have a hard time discerning how much is weaker economy (where there is clearly some of that compared to height of stimmie money) and strong market players getting even more market share.

In the mean time, seems like the equity bros still out partying and the bond traders have gotten back to sober Thursday morning work.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2022, 02:00 AM   #9730
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Out of genuine curiosity (because this is what I try to wrap my mind around)...I hear and read other stories like the one you recounted and therefore believe them to be true. At the same time, it seems like Tesla is still selling at a good clip through backlog M3 orders, and Ford is still selling through F150 backlog pretty quickly. Plus ford just announced that price hike.

So I have a hard time discerning how much is weaker economy (where there is clearly some of that compared to height of stimmie money) and strong market players getting even more market share.

In the mean time, seems like the equity bros still out partying and the bond traders have gotten back to sober Thursday morning work.

the guy was ultimately asking me to explore the idea of him coming to work for me.

and tbh, I like him very much. however, I can recall when I requested he look into ordering a jeep for me. two times...neither time he got back to me....

sooooooo, his experience might very well be skewed by his own actions or lack there of. but, from what I have been told by others, he was very good at what he did. I can certainly recall a time when he was super busy.

that said, I just bought 4 vehicles from Ford. All 4 had a mark up. I got three with no mark up and one with a very reduced mark up. I am not certain cars are moving as fast as they were.

BUT, I have just had one of my worst months in years. And this month does not appear better, so far.

I talk to my colleagues all the time. And literally every one is also telling me they are slow.

Old 12 August 2022, 02:56 AM   #9731
BNA/LION
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
Quote:
I agree However, there are money managers in wealth management who are very good at making proper adjustments to portfolios as market conditions change. They can help you increase your wealth while limiting your downside risk. There is a difference from thinking you know the furure and making guesses or predictions or using statistics, data, forecasting models, fundamentals, and having a Long-Term Investment Plan to maintain and grow your wealth.

Our money managers have done a great job for us, and we will be sticking to our plan.

Best of Luck to Everyone!

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2022, 02:56 AM   #9732
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

it's definitely a weird feeling currently. all the markets are broken, tons of stocks were down 80%+ but then you have apple single digit %'s from the highs. it's like a mix of the dotcom bubble/2008 stock market and a normal correction, depending on what you're looking at. the crypto market was fully capitulated in june and i know a bunch of people who got blown up from stocks (anyone not in SPY or select blue chips lol). at the same time, consumer spending isn't necessarily going down much yet, but likely because everyone is swiping but that remains to be seen, and the job market is still in good shape. overall it feels like the economy is still fairly healthy although going through a bit of a drawdown. i think we'll really have a better understanding by the start of the new year since a lot of indicators are lagging

i feel like for < 3000 to happen we would need something similar to 2008 where something in the financial system actually breaks
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2022, 04:36 AM   #9733
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

we've now rallied more from june 17 to today (+22.5% nasdaq) than may 2021 - sept 2021 (+21% nasdaq). s&p has gone +17% in these 2 months vs +13% in may-sept of last year

pretty crazy to think about but at the same time every big move up was violently sold off before resuming. how far do we go? i imagine 4300 will be a giant wall

saw people calling for apple to head to double digits in june which in hindsight was the biggest bottom signal lol
Old 13 August 2022, 06:06 AM   #9734
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2022, 07:39 AM   #9735
StackLexus17
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
We’re entering a massive risk period right now.

Old 13 August 2022, 07:42 AM   #9736
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 Daytona Blusy
Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
we've now rallied more from june 17 to today (+22.5% nasdaq) than may 2021 - sept 2021 (+21% nasdaq). s&p has gone +17% in these 2 months vs +13% in may-sept of last year

pretty crazy to think about but at the same time every big move up was violently sold off before resuming. how far do we go? i imagine 4300 will be a giant wall

saw people calling for apple to head to double digits in june which in hindsight was the biggest bottom signal lol
Analysts were saying a 10-12% bear market run up was definitely possible given the oversold nature back in June. It's impossible to know if it's going to go back down or plateau here but I'm finding it hard to believe it can go higher given talk is whether the Fed is going to raise .75 or .5. We're not even at the point of a .25% let alone pause or easing.

Apple in double digits would have been an amazing buying opportunity!
SDGT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2022, 09:17 AM   #9737
SpectralDodo49
Banned

Some of you may remember when, in the late 80's early 90's, the DOW WAS AT 3000 OR 4000 (I forget the actual timeframe) and big investor Jeremy Siegal predicted DOW 20K (I think it was the cover of Money magazine) and he was virtually laughed out of town.

Conventional financial experts said that DOW 20K was not possible given the underlying structure of capital markets. So, maybe those experts regret not investing more into stocks back then.
SpectralDodo49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2022, 09:49 AM   #9738
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
Stocks work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralDodo49 View Post
Some of you may remember when, in the late 80's early 90's, the DOW WAS AT 3000 OR 4000 (I forget the actual timeframe) and big investor Jeremy Siegal predicted DOW 20K (I think it was the cover of Money magazine) and he was virtually laughed out of town.

Conventional financial experts said that DOW 20K was not possible given the underlying structure of capital markets. So, maybe those experts regret not investing more into stocks back then.
We started with mutual funds and a few stocks in 1987. Added more at the ‘87 crash. Forget timing. It was our time in the market. Our investments went up alot.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2022, 10:36 AM   #9739
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralDodo49 View Post

well i don't think it was unreasonable to think 20k was impossible back then. there wasn't nearly as much money and disposable income as there is today and the internet wasn't a thing yet so the market was a niche. you got people trading on their phones in the bathroom now and not to mention who would've thought there would be companies like apple, amazon and microsoft making this much money. also the emergence of white collar office jobs that are just passively investing billions into etfs through 401ks

the 80s look like a completely different world compared to today and it feels like the market is largely based on speculation today
Old 13 August 2022, 02:09 PM   #9740
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Watch: this ya'll
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNA/LION View Post
I agree However, there are money managers in wealth management who are very good at making proper adjustments to portfolios as market conditions change. They can help you increase your wealth while limiting your downside risk. There is a difference from thinking you know the furure and making guesses or predictions or using statistics, data, forecasting models, fundamentals, and having a Long-Term Investment Plan to maintain and grow your wealth.

Our money managers have done a great job for us, and we will be sticking to our plan.

Best of Luck to Everyone!

Us too. Fidelity’s Portfolio Advisory Services has done a good job adjusting the investment mix in our portfolio during this downturn. I went to a lower risk tolerance score about 6 months before I retired and that seems to have helped too. My investments outside of the retirement accounts have lost about 2x as much as the managed portfolio.
Current Collection: Rolex 116710BLNR & 216570 polar Explorer II; Omega Apollo 8 Speedmaster; Tudor BB Bronze Bucherer Blue Edition; Heuer Heritage Autavia; Nomos Club Sport Neomatik 42; Breitling Aerospace, Avenger Blackbird, & Superocean 44; Seiko Black Monster; Mickey Mouse Timex Electric; and dare I say it...an Apple Watch too
Baco Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2022, 10:51 PM   #9741
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Getting above the 200-day line would be evidence that the current uptrend is more than a substantial bear market rally. A pause or pullback wouldn't be a surprise after a strong advance for the major indexes, largely on lackluster volume. Friday's bounce came on very light volume.

A pause or modest pullback over several days or a few weeks could be constructive, but the market is going to do what it's going to do.
https://www.investors.com/market-tre...ar-buy-points/

I have been buying since late June, the economy is fine and very strong, the unemployment rate is historically low, wages are up. Spending is going to continue.

I am watching several equities that I have not already added including ABBV, MS, XOM, MMM, MO, APPL and MSFT
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2022, 11:31 PM   #9742
austinp
"TRF" Member

I started buying early July as well averaging down to build larger positions in some companies that I already have. I don’t often buy stocks to trade but I did buy some CCL just because it seemed cheap. I pulled half my initial investment when it reached a 25% gain.

AAPL represents about 10% of my non retirement account. I haven’t bought new shares in over 10 years but it’s done so well it’s reached a large % of the whole. I read that it isn’t good to have such a high % in any one stock but I can’t get myself to sell. What do you guys do in that situation?

Old 14 August 2022, 11:38 PM   #9743
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:
What do you guys do in that situation?
Me, I sell half of the position.

Of course, it's rare that I make a good enough return to do that...

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2022, 11:42 PM   #9744
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
AAPL represents about 10% of my non retirement account. I haven’t bought new shares in over 10 years but it’s done so well it’s reached a large % of the whole. I read that it isn’t good to have such a high % in any one stock but I can’t get myself to sell. What do you guys do in that situation?

There is a difference between selling and rebalancing. If you are selling to take a loss, book a gain or free up capital that is fine. If you are selling because the position has become too large, that is simply prudent risk management.

Never fall in love with a stock. Consider where you might deploy that capital into other solid choices. In addition we may see some pullback toward the end of the month as people lock in gains.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
Old 14 August 2022, 11:44 PM   #9745
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post
Me, I sell half of the position.

Of course, it's rare that I make a good enough return to do that...
If I am working a trade, I do the same thing and let the profit stay in the position and I reinvest the original capital.

If it is a core holding I will hold onto the position especially if the dividend is strong until it become to outsized for my portfolio. Then I will sell to get the position back in line. If you choose not to buy something else you can always wait in cash and then dollar cost average down if possible. That should reduce the total portfolio exposure for a short time.
Old 14 August 2022, 11:48 PM   #9746
austinp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
There is a difference between selling and rebalancing. If you are selling to take a loss, book a gain or free up capital that is fine. If you are selling because the position has become too large, that is simply prudent risk management.

Never fall in love with a stock. Consider where you might deploy that capital into other solid choices.

Thanks B. I know I should and will do it but man it’s hard for me. All my new money goes in other names to try to reduce the Apple % but it just keeps moving higher.

Old 14 August 2022, 11:55 PM   #9747
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks B. I know I should and will do it but man it’s hard for me. All my new money goes in other names to try to reduce the Apple % but it just keeps moving higher.

I have significant position(s) in AAPL as well. At less than $10 from a new 52 week high, I could feel very comfortable here taking some profits off the table, if only to buy back at a later date.
Old 15 August 2022, 12:38 AM   #9748
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
I would be hard pressed to sell Apple stock unless the story changes. But if someone has more than 10% of their portfolio in one stock, that is risky.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2022, 01:22 AM   #9749
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post

Never fall in love with a stock. Consider where you might deploy that capital into other solid choices. In addition we may see some pullback toward the end of the month as people lock in gains.
Well said.

Old 15 August 2022, 05:05 AM   #9750
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

There is literally too much money still "out there" from various sources for alotta people to stop spending (which is boring). People don't want boring.

Malls (yes Malls), restaurants, travel destinations...all still packed from my anecdotal perspective. They simply aren't participating in a "down" economy...maybe they didn't get the memo that times are tough or they are simply ignoring it until their reality changes due to layoffs..etc.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote