The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 August 2022, 01:48 AM   #31
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
Hard to go wrong with a sub/sub date. A true classic that most guys like. What does Keanu give his key crewmates after a film? Submariners. Given your time frame getting one from an AD seems unlikely. I would contact the dealers suggested in this forum and see how close to new, full package set you can get considering it's a gift.
csaltphoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2022, 01:48 AM   #32
alonsowwss
"TRF" Member

Watch: DateJust 41
Sub, explorer or DJ.

Can’t do no wrong there, happy hunting.
Old 14 August 2022, 01:56 AM   #33
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Sub Date is always appropriate and a great one only.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2022, 01:58 AM   #34
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
The Submariner is my first and only Rolex and I do not think you can really go wrong.

With respect to Submariner (i.e., without a date function) vs. Submariner Date (i.e., with a date function), it really comes down to personal preference. Mine does not have a date, but if he likes to use a watch to know the date, then obviously the Sub Date is more preferable.

There are trusted sellers on this forum who have stellar reputations, as are companies like DavidSW and HQ Milton (among others). You may get a better deal from the trusted sellers on this forum as most of the larger companies are a bit slower to back off their pricing even as secondary market pricing is decreasing.
Gab27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2022, 02:00 AM   #35
pepemaui
"TRF" Member

If he is active and sporty and will wear the watch during activity the sub date.

If he is active and sporty but wants to a watch for after or not active I’d do the datejust 41.

They are different watches and very different looks.
Old 14 August 2022, 02:14 AM   #36
pursang_
"TRF" Member

Our opinions are useless. Only he can tell you what he wants.
pursang_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2022, 02:20 AM   #37
Big Tex Rolex
"TRF" Member

If I only owned 1 watch, it would be a Rolex Submariner, or Rolex Submariner Date. Versatile enough to wear at almost every occasion, and, a statement watch that you can be proud to own / wear on your wrist.

I have a lot of watches, but this is the one I wear most …

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big Tex Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2022, 02:24 AM   #38
Big Tex Rolex
"TRF" Member

PS … Try all the ADs in your area. Tell them your story. They are going to love you, as they will see your boyfriend as a reciprocating buyer for you !!!
Big Tex Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2022, 04:21 AM   #39
Bizcut1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126331 126610 3861
Agreed. Sub C. Make sure you post pictures of the unboxing...

Oh - and welcome to the Forum.
Bizcut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2022, 04:26 AM   #40
CanadaDan
"TRF" Member

Pick him up an Oyster Perpetual, just a nice simple watch. He will be thrilled.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
CanadaDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2022, 04:35 AM   #41
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Another vote for a Sub Date

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2022, 04:40 AM   #42
walkman2727
Banned

Watch: 16710 pepsi
I go to south coast all the time, their inventory is like nothing available at all...
if I were you, I would leave my contact to a SA and let them know "whichever ss model", you have to be very lucky to be able to buy a ss model at AD by MSRP.
walkman2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2022, 04:57 AM   #43
Bluside
2024 Pledge Member

My vote would be a Submariner also.
Bluside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2022, 05:10 AM   #44
jlovda
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513,1675,216570
Quote:
Originally Posted by I377611 View Post
My boyfriend has previously expressed interest in Rolex watches but didn’t exactly mention which model he was particularly fond of. Also, I wanted to surprise him for our 3 year anniversary in 2 months.
My suggestion....wait and get it for a wedding present. My wife bought a 1675 red/blue GMT as her gift to me in 1976 and I still treasure it.

Also, I cannot live without a date. An Explorer or Oyster Perpetual does not have one. If you think a DateJust is appropriate, get one with a fluted bezel and Jubilee bracelet. The quintessential Rolex. It goes down to 300 ft. Don't worry about depth. Why someone thinks you can't play tennis or go diving with one is beyond me.
jlovda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2022, 05:24 AM   #45
CarlOver
"TRF" Member

Recommendation to OP is to call store manager. Explain birthday for boyfriend and ask for a referral sales person in the Rolex department. Make appt with that SA when it’s quiet and explain your deal. This is likely your best chance to get a watch in a timely fashion. Then again maybe just rolling in and laying it all out works out.
CarlOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2022, 05:32 AM   #46
Mis3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkman2727 View Post
I go to south coast all the time, their inventory is like nothing available at all...
if I were you, I would leave my contact to a SA and let them know "whichever ss model", you have to be very lucky to be able to buy a ss model at AD by MSRP.
Agreed.
But if there are choices, I would go for a SubC.
Mis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2022, 05:36 AM   #47
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
Sub is a good choice. Look at the white dial Explorer II also. If he’s a diver he may want the Sub. But the Explorer II still has 100m of water resistance, is super tough, and less commonly seen than the Sub. Probably easier to get from an AD than the Sub. But if you’re going to Bob’s availability shouldn’t be a factor.
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2022, 05:39 AM   #48
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy E View Post
Submariner for sure.

Check out OCwatchguy.com, Patrick, good guy to deal with. I believe he is near enough to you. Good luck.

I agree with this. Best option physically around you, and a great option no matter where you live.

Sub is a good choice. DJ41 if he's more formal or likes one of the colors available.
Old 14 August 2022, 05:39 AM   #49
askdanny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Clock on my A330
Quote:
I am in Orange County, CA and looking to purchase a Rolex watch for my boyfriend. I went to the Rolex store in the South Coast mall but there wasn’t much available. As a result, I’ve been on these forums to get a better understanding of what Rolex watch I should buy and not get scammed in the process.

My boyfriend is 5ft 10in and weighs approximately 170lbs. He has an average wrist size and is very active. I was wondering if I should get him a Datejust, Explorer, or Submariner? Please let me know what you guys think.

Also, where can I get a Rolex watch at a good price but safe? There is Bob’s Watches in Newport beach which is relatively close to me. Does anyone have experiences with them?
Bob's Watches is overpriced. OCWatchguy (ocwatchguy.com) in Huntington Beach is A+. Have done multiple deals with him (Patrick) and you can do a face-to-face. Buy your boyfriend something you'd like to see him wear. Ask Patrick for recommendations. He'll take care of you. Tell him I sent you (Danny).
Old 14 August 2022, 05:40 AM   #50
vesnyder
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II
There are two that I would recommend; the Submariner that others have suggested and there is a Datejust. Many options depending on his taste. I purchased a Datejust as a gift for my daughter from Bob's and they are highly recommended. We had to return it (it was not het style!) and had no issues.
vesnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2022, 06:30 AM   #51
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy E View Post
Submariner for sure.

Check out OCwatchguy.com, Patrick, good guy to deal with. I believe he is near enough to you. Good luck.

I’d go with OC Watch Guy over Bobs as well. He has a storefront in Newport, I believe.

Sub Date is a very safe choice and was also my first Rolex that I bought (since sold.) I’m actually leaning towards a Datejust for your bf though. Definitely with a jubilee bracelet over oyster. Tough to say though without knowing his style.

More importantly, you sound like a great girlfriend. DM me if you guys ever break up.

jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2022, 07:00 AM   #52
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
Welcome to the forum!

I’d consider his day job too. If he is in the office, a DJ may be a good option too. It can hold up to an active lifestyle just fine as an Explorer.

As others have said, a Sub is a great choice.

Availability is a concern, I wish you luck. That being a factor, have you considered Omega or Tudor?

Both are great brands. Available today (mostly) and dollar for dollar, great pieces.

Tudor: Heritage design elements and wearability similar to Rolex. Omega: great materials and features for an active lifestyle.

AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2022, 07:42 AM   #53
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

OP
I don’t know what your financial situation is, but if you buy from one of the resellers, you should expect to pay 2-3x msrp. If you have no problem with that, then OK, it is your money to spend. Reaching out to multiple AD’s and explaining it is for a special occasion might help. Good luck.
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2022, 07:43 AM   #54
Reddington
"TRF" Member

I also say go with the iconic Sub Date.
Reddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2022, 08:05 AM   #55
dannyp
Banned

I like Explorer more than Sub personally. But I like smaller watches. If he’s good with that, it’ll likely be easier to get from AD. Also consider OP36 in black. Probably the easiest color to get in that model and somewhere between Explorer and DJ in terms of sportiness.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2022, 09:38 AM   #56
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillA View Post
OP
I don’t know what your financial situation is, but if you buy from one of the resellers, you should expect to pay 2-3x msrp. If you have no problem with that, then OK, it is your money to spend. Reaching out to multiple AD’s and explaining it is for a special occasion might help. Good luck.

She will not pay anywhere near 2x Msrp on a Sub or DJ

jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2022, 11:14 AM   #57
BNA/LION
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
Quote:
I am in Orange County, CA and looking to purchase a Rolex watch for my boyfriend. I went to the Rolex store in the South Coast mall but there wasn’t much available. As a result, I’ve been on these forums to get a better understanding of what Rolex watch I should buy and not get scammed in the process.

My boyfriend is 5ft 10in and weighs approximately 170lbs. He has an average wrist size and is very active. I was wondering if I should get him a Datejust, Explorer, or Submariner? Please let me know what you guys think.

Also, where can I get a Rolex watch at a good price but safe? There is Bob’s Watches in Newport beach which is relatively close to me. Does anyone have experiences with them?
Brian (Briboxer) here on TRF is in OC/Costa Mesa. He would be a good person to contact as you are close by. Good Luck! PS- I vote Submariner with Date.

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2022, 03:46 PM   #58
SPACE PEPSI
"TRF" Member

Submariner, the original without the date. Classy, timeless, and exudes savvy.
SPACE PEPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2022, 04:10 PM   #59
Shortgrass47
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 326934-0004
My wife bought me a new 34mm Rolex date for my birthday back in 1997. Model 15203, bicolor oyster bracelet, champagne dial and a smooth bezel. I was hoping for something else (like a fluted datejust) but after wearing it for 25 years, she made the perfect choice. She passed this past February and I will always cherish that gift.
If your guy is a keeper, buy him what you think he'll look good wearing, if it works it will tell you a lot.
Shortgrass47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2022, 05:00 PM   #60
Cauhauna
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500
Submariner Date was my first

No one has ever received a sub date as a gift and been disappointed. Ever.

It is the most iconic watch of all time