The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 6 February 2024, 01:57 PM   #1
yellow-mamba
"TRF" Member

Seeking advice for 1803

Hi all,

This was my grandpa's day date 1803 that was passed on to me by my father.

I am hoping to get some advice on what to do with it. I plan on sending it to RSC and seeing what they quote me for. I am unsure if I should try to keep things original. The 11oclock trillium marker is missing and I would like to replace that, however the RSC rep I spoke to said I would need to replace the entire dial.

Also the bracelet does not have any pins to remove links. Does anyone know how I can remove some in order to fit my wrist?

Thanks

Edit: unfortunately i cannot post links because I am new. I can PM
yellow-mamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2024, 03:10 PM   #2
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

you can post images via a third party. Also if you get to 10 posts, you will have more freedom. Plenty of ways to get there.

1803 dials aren't as valuable as some of the sports models so may not be a complete disaster but show us pics and we can give you some guidance.
alwayshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2024, 03:28 PM   #3
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

IIRC, at first, you can only upload properly sized images directly as attachments. After 10 posts you can include BBCode links to full-size photos hosted elsewhere.

So if someone is willing to participate just a little in the forum, then they can post links as much as they want.
Old 6 February 2024, 10:35 PM   #4
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Don't send it to RSC. They'll want to change everything, which will ruin its charm and value.

You need a good independent watchmaker for a sympathetic overhaul.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2024, 12:34 AM   #5
yellow-mamba
"TRF" Member

I can upload pictures now.

Here it is:

https://flic.kr/p/2pwzNbA

Last edited by yellow-mamba; 7 February 2024 at 12:36 AM.. Reason: Pic
Old 7 February 2024, 01:00 AM   #6
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

For the most engagement with your post, please embed the pictures in the thread. Many members, including me, won't bother to click on links.
Old 7 February 2024, 01:02 AM   #7
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
I wouldn’t send it to RSC but rather a good recommended independent. And you might get a better response actually posting a picture rather than a link
996marty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2024, 01:24 AM   #8
Toronto Soup King
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1016.
I have the same model watch (well, mine's French but all else identical) and RSC on St Clair was able to help me out in 2020, I doubt much has changed since then. Full service cost $1150 Canadian, plus new crown $130, new blue dial so I actually wear the thing $550, new hands $113, came to $2200 all in. I would trust Shane Ede to do the work too. There are other watchmakers too; of the high-profile ones I can recommend Al Jenskey of Archer Watches. Good luck.
Toronto Soup King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2024, 01:30 AM   #9
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

In Canada, Ashton Tracy (precision horology, IIRC) would also be a good independent watchmaker to contact.
Old 7 February 2024, 01:32 AM   #10
miamiclay
2024 Pledge Member

If your 1803 has this type of clasp, you can adjust it by moving the pin inside the clasp.

As Dan has advised, it’s best to attach your pics directly (hit the “Post Reply” button, then the paper clip icon - If necessary, resize/compress the pics to <293kb file size and <1250 pixels in either dimension).
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg FullSizeRender-compressed.jpeg (48.8 KB, 267 views)
miamiclay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2024, 02:06 AM   #11
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiclay View Post
As Dan has advised, it’s best to attach your pics directly (hit the “Post Reply” button, then the paper clip icon - If necessary, resize/compress the pics to <293kb file size and <1250 pixels in either dimension).
Or use a BBCode link to the photo from a hosting site.
Old 7 February 2024, 04:20 AM   #12
miamiclay
2024 Pledge Member

Dan is correct, of course.

I always attach photos myself, rather than linking to an external host, in part because (like Flickr) these hosts may require creation of an account just to view the images, and some users are understandably wary of any links.

My main motivation though, is that externally hosted photos are always at some additional risk. The external host could close up shop, change their internal structure such that older links no longer function, or show the images with intrusive watermarks. I find it awfully frustrating to locate a thread on a topic I’m trying to learn about, only to encounter broken imageshack links, photobucket watermarks over the detail I want to see, etc. (E.g., https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=89366)

There are so many great old DD threads (here and on VRF) which contain only moribund 15-year-old eBay links, and thus no way to even see what’s being discussed …
Old 7 February 2024, 05:14 AM   #13
CTech
"TRF" Member

Here is the image:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 53510987142_6d3c73a0ee_c.jpg (135.9 KB, 245 views)
CTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2024, 06:03 AM   #14
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Looks really nice, I would want to keep the dial, especially with the sentimental value.
Old 7 February 2024, 09:23 AM   #15
physicist
"TRF" Member

Beautiful watch.
physicist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2024, 10:48 AM   #16
Xelor5513
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: what I wear
Fantastic heirloom piece! and welcome to TRF. I would recommend Mike at RolliWorks (https://www.rolliworks.com) for an internal overhaul and possibly relume 11:00. The bracelet appears pretty loosie-goosie and would strongly benefit from a good overhaul/recondition by Mike. I was very satisfied with the recondition he did to my (93150) Sub 5513 bracelet. The in-house jeweler at my AD was thoroughly impressed with the high-tolerances on my reconditioned bracelet.
Xelor5513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2024, 11:28 AM   #17
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

I probably wouldn't too much about that 11 o clock lume dot missing.

Just make sure its not in the movement.
alwayshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2024, 02:54 AM   #18
miamiclay
2024 Pledge Member

Lovely Day-Date! I assume it’s a white gold 1803/9, although the hour markers and coronet in this pic look almost like they might be yellow gold - ?

The case and bezel look nicely crisp, I can’t tell how “stretched” the bracelet may be. It’s interesting that the case “bump” under the crown looks squared off rather than rounded, but probably that’s just a photo effect.

You can have the 11:00 lume redone, but as others have mentioned, it would be best to avoid RSC unless you want original parts replaced. (If you do inquire at RSC or an AD, I’d be interested to learn what pie-pan service dials they offer these days.)

You mentioned a concern about bracelet adjustment - Can you post some clear pics of the clasp and bracelet?
Old 8 February 2024, 04:51 AM   #19
yellow-mamba
"TRF" Member

Hey everyone. Thank you all for the responses. My apologies for the photos.

With regards to RSC, I have an appointment later this week and will receive a quote. I am curious to see what they expect will require fixing/replacement. I will also take a look at the independent watch makers you have all posted so thank you for that info.

Some more info on the watch, my father mentioned he got it serviced from an independent watchmaker many years back and they had replaced the plastic crystal. Since then it has been sitting in a safe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 53510987142_6d3c73a0ee_c.jpg (135.9 KB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg 53511880176_a5cae9b9ee_c.jpg (125.0 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg 53512311600_1e8dc90841_c.jpg (52.9 KB, 172 views)
Old 8 February 2024, 04:53 AM   #20
yellow-mamba
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiclay View Post
Lovely Day-Date! I assume it’s a white gold 1803/9, although the hour markers and coronet in this pic look almost like they might be yellow gold - ?

The case and bezel look nicely crisp, I can’t tell how “stretched” the bracelet may be. It’s interesting that the case “bump” under the crown looks squared off rather than rounded, but probably that’s just a photo effect.

You can have the 11:00 lume redone, but as others have mentioned, it would be best to avoid RSC unless you want original parts replaced. (If you do inquire at RSC or an AD, I’d be interested to learn what pie-pan service dials they offer these days.)

You mentioned a concern about bracelet adjustment - Can you post some clear pics of the clasp and bracelet?
Thank you for the info!

Here are some more pictures. Beyond adjusting the actual attachment of the end link to the clasp I can't see how to remove links and downsize the bracelet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 53515350478_0151abb4ff_c.jpg (158.5 KB, 177 views)
File Type: jpg 53515350473_43d3f1211f_c.jpg (154.6 KB, 179 views)
Old 8 February 2024, 05:28 AM   #21
miamiclay
2024 Pledge Member

This pin inside the buckle is a spring bar, you can press it out and into the next hole. Be careful not to scratch it when your tool (inevitably) slides off the end of that little pin - Use a toothpick or something plastic. It looks like you only have one more smaller space to move, though. Beyond that, you would need a link removed.

(Speaking of spring bars, during your RSC visit have them check to confirm that the spring bars attaching the bracelet to the case are gold, it’s claimed that steel ones can waller out the lug holes.)

Bracelet is pretty worn - Rolliworks can make it like new if you want, the last time I checked (>1 year ago) the cost was about $75 per link. I doubt it’s worn to the point of failure, though you should inspect every link as closely as you can. It would probably be worth your while to get an inexpensive ultrasonic cleaner and clean the bracelet and clasp (only!) regularly. As this is an heirloom, I would guess that eventually you may want to have the bracelet restored.

I’m deep green with envy, I wish I had something like this from a grandfather!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg FullSizeRender-compressed.jpeg (40.1 KB, 174 views)
Old 8 February 2024, 05:29 AM   #22
TimeLord2
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Master 1675/3
That is a beautiful watch! It does look like you have quite a bit of adjustment in the clasp. You might want to place that bracelet in the last adjustment hole in the clasp and see how it fits. Bracelet looks to be in fairly good shape too. Rolex will probably insist on replacing Hahahaha. Perhaps they might have a few extra links but quite expensive. EBAY.

Edit: Oh… you said remove a link. Reading comprehension lacking this morning. I'll just stick with my first sentence.
TimeLord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2024, 08:44 AM   #23
77T

I agree with Post# 16 - Rolliworks is a good option because the bracelet may have one or more links with very worn pins.

This is an investment in prevention.

It’s an invisible risk. But this is what yours could look like inside some links.

That’s from a Datejust bracelet rather than your Day-Date bracelet, but the principle is the same.

Of course, while the bracelet is being refurbished, have the movement serviced.

And if the missing lume plot is bothersome, then a small dot can be applied.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2024, 11:37 AM   #24
KY..
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 60s to 90s
Besides the 1 micro-adjustment in the clasp you have left, the only way to properly remove 1 or 2 links is to have a jeweler unsolder the bracelet, remove the links, and then solder it back together.
Make sure you keep the extra links somewhere safe because it’s difficult to find new ones, especially in white gold.
Beautiful white gold day-date you have.
Good luck…
Old 8 February 2024, 08:24 PM   #25
ronricks
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610LV
If you are going to have the bracelet restored by someone like Rolliworks I wouldn’t remove any links as the bracelet will be shorter after the restore. I’d send the bracelet to Rolliworks and the head to an Independent that has a Rolex parts account.
ronricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2024, 01:55 AM   #26
Slimpee
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DJ 41; 1803; BB Ch
OP, that is a stunning watch! I hope you wear it in good health and that it brings fond memories.

A few years ago, I inherited my grandpa's yellow gold 1803. When I received it, the bracelet was badly stretched and was too short anyway (links had been removed as he got frail and were "lost").

I cannot recommend Rolliworks enough. They answered my questions, communicated well, and the work was great. You can read about my experience here: https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=796242

A few pointers:
-repairing the bracelet will not be cheap. In fact, for the money, you could buy a pretty decent watch outright. But it will be worth it.

-If the bracelet fits well as it is, budget money for additional links. RW told me ahead of time how many they thought i'd need and I purchased the links from them. I needed an additional link after I received the watch and had to source it locally. I spent something like $200/link or thereabouts. Your white gold links may be pricier.

-They will give you the option of which polishing level using a numerical level. I chose something like a "2, light vintage" polish. They told me that it would be good to do at least a light polish to match the added links to the rest of the bracelet.

-You can send the bracelet only (probably preferred) or the full watch. I sent the full watch so that the polishing could match the head as best as possible without polishing the head.

-They also do vintage servicing. If the watch hasn't been serviced in a while, or you're unsure as to when it was last serviced, you may consider sending the full watch and having it serviced at the same time. Again, it's not cheap but, in my opinion, worth it.

-Shipping was easy. They sent me an insured label and I dropped it off. Super easy. They returned it to a local Fedex distribution center and I picked it up. Also super easy.

-I was impressed enough with RW that this past fall, I purchased an inexpensive 6719 for my wife and sent the two-tone jubilee bracelet to RW for a rebuild. They did a great job. You can read about that experience here: https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=922445

-Bottom line: It will not be cheap to repair the bracelet, add links, have the watch serviced, etc. But if you can swing it, you will be adding your own chapter to the watch's history and it will keep on ticking for decades to come!
Slimpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2024, 03:25 AM   #27
miamiclay
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
If you are going to have the bracelet restored by someone like Rolliworks I wouldn’t remove any links as the bracelet will be shorter after the restore. I’d send the bracelet to Rolliworks and the head to an Independent that has a Rolex parts account.
This is a really good point, and one I didn’t consider. If you’re going to refurb the bracelet, that alone will shorten it some, so you may not need a link removed.
Old 9 February 2024, 06:26 AM   #28
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

Nice watch. As above don’t remove a link until after you decide to have the bracelet refurbished it will get shorter. Get a movement service and you have a watch for years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 9 February 2024, 11:48 AM   #29
TimeLord2

Watch: GMT Master 1675/3
Some Rolliworks stories in this thread and a pick of a white gold presidential bracelet restoration. https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=935768
And yes, the bracelet will get shorter. Mine was so far gone it was an inch shorter when I got it back.
TimeLord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2024, 09:47 AM   #30
yellow-mamba
"TRF" Member

Hello everyone, thanks once again for all the informative posts!

I visited RSC today and got a quote. The necessary changes are as follows:

- Complete overhaul
- Clean bracelet
- Refinish bracelet
- Replace spring bars (they were steel instead of white gold, great point @miamiclay)
- Clean case
- Refinish case
- Replace crown (the associate there mentioned it wont sit flush with the case even after replacing, which I thought was odd. I figured a new crown/screw would allow it to sit flush again)
- Replace crystal

I understand polishing is an option, but I am happy to go with rolex for all those needs. The 11oclock tritium lume marker cannot be replaced unless I replace the dial and hands and my options there are black and white. But I was only provided a grainy printed photo so it's hard to visualize what it would look like on the watch.

All that being said, I think I will do the service with RSC. I will debate the dial change. And after all that is done, send the bracelet to Rolliworks to get it refinished.

Happy to hear your thoughts on this plan.