The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Miscellaneous Forums > Pens & Writing Instruments

Old 11 April 2017, 08:45 AM   #1
jar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Samsung Gear S3
Hard Rubber

Nikko Ebonite is the only remaining company in Japan making ebonite. They make the ebonite used in Nakaya pens as well as many other makers and also some great guitar picks.

The also make fountain pens, by hand, when ordered, all individually made by hand. It generally take three to six months to get a pen made and I've had on on order for awhile, a mid sized cartridge/converter pen in the model called Houju (Gem or Jewel) in their green ebonite called Kumpuu.

Pictures from internet

Kumpuu means Gentle Winds and the color reflects the black and green of a bamboo forest rustling in the wind.

While waiting from the Houju to get made a friend offered his small size Natsume in Shinkai (deep sea blue) for sale. It has a small Bock fine nib that was modified into a cursive italic by John Mottishaw. It was priced reasonably so I jumped on it.

A Natsume is the Tea Caddy used to hold the powdered green tea for the Tea Ceremony. The pen is similar in size to a Pelikan M-200, Sailor Pro Gear Slim or the Pilot Custom Heritage 91.

jar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2017, 03:35 PM   #2
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Omega,Seiko
That's some really nice stuff right there!!
Day-Date President, Datejust (flipped), Bluesy 16613, Omega 14kt Seamaster, Seiko Cocktail Time, Seiko Alpinist, REC 901-2 (Porsche 911), REC TTT Escape (Steve McQueen Triumph). A few Bulovas, cars, and fountain pens
Formulansx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2017, 10:28 PM   #3
jar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Samsung Gear S3
Still waiting on the new Eboya but a second one showed up on my doorstep. The one being made for me will likely show up in June or July so I was lucky enough to find one for sale stateside now.

This one is a large size Yatate.

A Yatate was the carry case for brushes, pens and ink stone and originally pipe shaped. They came in many fanciful forms.

Of course, with a fountain pen there is no ink stone needed.

This pen is shaped like bamboo and the patterns in the carved out sections add contrast and interest.

Boring Details (Eboya at bottom of table)

Th ebonite color of this pen is Akebono which means dawning or sunrise and reflects the color of early morning sunrise seen through a bamboo thicket.

The nib is from Bock and tuned to be moderately wet.

This one is Standard International Cartridge Converter but Eboya also makes their pen in traditional Japanese eyedroppers with a shut off valve.

Finally here is the Yatate and Natsume so you can see the relative size differences.

jar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2017, 09:08 AM   #4
Prestige_Swiss
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Wow these things are amazing
Prestige_Swiss is offline   Reply With Quote