The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 24 June 2017, 09:39 AM   #1
cda555
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc and PO
Thinking about a career change: From accountant to cop

Hello all

I am 32 and have always wanted to be a law enforcement officer. The reason I didn't is that my family put a lot of pressure to go to college and join a white collar profession; I am the first person in my family to graduate from college. My family's cultural background is such that you listen to your parents, especially when you are a woman. Well, that feeling of wanting to an officer has never left me. My parents are much more understanding about it all, and my mom is less inclined to think that I will be in constant danger. Having grandkids from my brother has helped take attention off of me.

I signed up for the test (it's tomorrow). I know that I will probably have to apply to multiple agencies to increase my chances. I know that I have to be 100% certain to maintain the truth throughout the process because the background investigators will find out everything regardless. Anyone have any other advice for me out there? Am I crazy for trying this late in life?
cda555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2017, 09:46 AM   #2
HobokenRolex
2024 Pledge Member

Best of luck on the test! If you don't enjoy what you are doing, no better time than the present to go for something new. If it doesn't work out for whatever reason, accounting will always be there.
HobokenRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2017, 09:58 AM   #3
Canefan1
Banned

Go for it, just know that everyone who has a phone will be watching your every move.
Canefan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2017, 10:08 AM   #4
Kyle13
"TRF" Member

Good luck! I was actually considering applying for CHP after talking with two of my CHP buddies!
Kyle13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2017, 10:13 AM   #5
Canefan1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle13 View Post
dude good luck! I was actually considering applying for CHP after talking with two of my CHP buddies!
Could be wrong but I'm thinking Crystal is a woman.
Old 24 June 2017, 10:17 AM   #6
TheRolexKingofLV
"TRF" Member

Knock em dead tomorrow Crystal on the test! I think that's great that you are chasing your dreams. I'm behind your decision 100%!

And if it's your parents you are worried about, I assure you they will be very proud to have a police officer as a daughter once it happens...change isn't always easy, especially for parents! You'll be fine! Good Luck!
Old 24 June 2017, 10:28 AM   #7
cop414
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: 14060M
Crystal, not too late in my opinion. Many agencies have great retirement after 20-25 years.
Not to sound condescending but keep in mind that it's nothing like you see on television. 99 percent boredom with 1 percent pure terror.
The mental stress can take its toll more than the physical stress. Cops see, hear, smell and feel things that most people never will. They are things that stay with you for the rest of your life, that's both fortunate as well as unfortunate.
Wishing you the very best of luck!

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
TRF's "After Dark" Bar & NightClub Patron
P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
cop414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2017, 10:37 AM   #8
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Sounds like a great advice Tim
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2017, 10:37 AM   #9
Gharddog03
"TRF" Member

Watch: R O L E X
Good luck. 1% action 99% paperwork!!
Gharddog03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2017, 10:48 AM   #10
Canefan1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRolexKingofLV View Post
Knock em dead tomorrow Crystal on the test! I think that's great that you are chasing your dreams. I'm behind your decision 100%!

And if it's your parents you are worried about, I assure you they will be very proud to have a police officer as a daughter once it happens...change isn't always easy, especially for parents! You'll be fine! Good Luck!
Plus 1
Old 24 June 2017, 10:48 AM   #11
Canefan1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cop414 View Post
Crystal, not too late in my opinion. Many agencies have great retirement after 20-25 years.
Not to sound condescending but keep in mind that it's nothing like you see on television. 99 percent boredom with 1 percent pure terror.
The mental stress can take its toll more than the physical stress. Cops see, hear, smell and feel things that most people never will. They are things that stay with you for the rest of your life, that's both fortunate as well as unfortunate.
Thx for your service Tim
Old 24 June 2017, 10:50 AM   #12
.brian.
"TRF" Member

Watch: in Philadelphia
Best of luck, but you couldn't pay me enough to be a cop in the United States right now.
.brian. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2017, 10:52 AM   #13
Valenciawatchrepair
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by .brian. View Post
Best of luck, but you couldn't pay me enough to be a cop in the United States right now.
Yeah, the crap cops have to put up with now is insane! But, sucks that your family pressured you to do what they wanted you to do and not let you choose for yourself.
Valenciawatchrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2017, 11:06 AM   #14
youthagainsttt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Piaget,Rolex,AP,HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cda555 View Post
Hello all

I am 32 and have always wanted to be a law enforcement officer. The reason I didn't is that my family put a lot of pressure to go to college and join a white collar profession; I am the first person in my family to graduate from college. My family's cultural background is such that you listen to your parents, especially when you are a woman. Well, that feeling of wanting to an officer has never left me. My parents are much more understanding about it all, and my mom is less inclined to think that I will be in constant danger. Having grandkids from my brother has helped take attention off of me.

I signed up for the test (it's tomorrow). I know that I will probably have to apply to multiple agencies to increase my chances. I know that I have to be 100% certain to maintain the truth throughout the process because the background investigators will find out everything regardless. Anyone have any other advice for me out there? Am I crazy for trying this late in life?
It's never too late - I had a big decision when I moved to Asia when I was 30 and had to start everything again and also my career. But I haven't looked back at all and you never know what you can achieve until you really push yourself.
youthagainsttt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2017, 11:09 AM   #15
Kyle13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canefan1 View Post
Could be wrong but I'm thinking Crystal is a woman.
my bad, I automatically assumed male given a watch forum is probably filled with 95% male.
Kyle13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2017, 11:10 AM   #16
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko's
No way I would be a cop today. They get no respect. But good luck.
toxicavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2017, 11:25 AM   #17
cop414
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: 14060M
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTX I View Post
Sounds like a great advice Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canefan1 View Post
Thx for your service Tim
Thank you, it was an honor to serve my community.

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
TRF's "After Dark" Bar & NightClub Patron
P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
cop414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2017, 11:34 AM   #18
BristolCavendish
Banned

Mrs. BC has an acquaintance (I think it's from her gym) that opted for a second career in law enforcement after 25 years as a flight attendant for United. She began as a voluntary/cadet and five years later upon completion of police academy, became a full-fledged pistol-packing/ticket writing law enforcement officer in her early 50s.

So in many ways, it's never too late to fulfill one's vocational aspirations. If you decide to follow this calling, be safe out there.

That said, being that you are not only a watch aficionado but an automotive enthusiast as well, would you cut any slack in the event you pulled someone over for doing 90+ in his McLaren and he flashed a Batman/Hulk/Daytona in your face while you were proceeding to confirm his driver's license, vehicle registration and proof of insurance?

Even if he mentioned that he was just another non-pretentious individual who liked to drive fast?
BristolCavendish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2017, 11:35 AM   #19
Rootbeer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss GV
Best of luck!

Regardless of all the stuff that's not really appropriate for this thread, I would have tried to join had I not been a few years past it by the time I came here. Can't think of a better way to serve your community and country.
Rootbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2017, 11:38 AM   #20
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by cop414 View Post
Well said, Tim! Police work is a vocation and as such if you feel it is a calling and, it seems so, then I believe you should pursue it, but with the caveats that Tim has eloquently stated.

In the UK we've had recent terror attacks where the police have to run against the tide of fleeing civilians directly into the face of machete wielding maniacs, and firefighters jumping into a literal towering inferno that many of them could not even believe what they were seeing unravelling ahead of them. The country's respect for these heroes has never been higher.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2017, 12:03 PM   #21
Beo3
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Too Many
I think that a career change midstream is a great idea, but Police work is terribly hard on your mental, physical and emotional life. I cannot begin to tell you how many cops that I worked with are divorced, obese, alcoholics, don't talk to their kids or unfortunately took their own life. The stress level is MASSIVE and in today's environment I would not allow my kids to do what I did. Do remember that its a front row ticket to the greatest show on earth, but it comes with a price. There are no holidays, midnight's on Christmas Eve sucks!, sitting with a week old dead body on your birthday, (or on my 25th birthday getting a blackeye from another cop in a street brawl) trying to revive a two month after she was beaten to death by her father or attending another colleagues funeral after they were killed.
I commend you on your decision, but I would seriously contemplate going the Federal route. As an accountant you are marketable to the FBI, Dept of Labor, DEA any many others.
It is Law Enforcement, but in a different capacity and cleaner work.
Good luck on your test and please PM if you'd like, I'd be happy to chat.
Stay Safe
Beo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2017, 12:08 PM   #22
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
Lots of good advice from LEO folks here.

Go for it. If you can make the money work for you and it is your passion you will do great!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2017, 12:12 PM   #23
johnny80s
"TRF" Member

Hey with the accounting degree you can eventually use it and deal with some of the white collar crime.
johnny80s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2017, 12:13 PM   #24
Stefanaf
"TRF" Member

Don't forget to explore what's available on the federal level.
Stefanaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2017, 01:04 PM   #25
s14roller
"TRF" Member

I've thought about it as well...State Trooper or Port Authority Police. Maybe K9 unit specifically. If it's a dream of yours go for it. With OT you should make what you make now, and benefits/pension should be nice. You can likely retire earlier than the corporate retirement schedule, as well.
s14roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2017, 01:20 PM   #26
seand442
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610
I'll throw in my 2 cents. Have you done a ride-a-long with any agencies yet? As already posted, what you see on tv vs what actually goes on is night and day. Age isn't really an issue, desire and ability will take you further. Policing nowadays has changed drastically, even in the 14 years I've been doing it. City policing is different from county stuff which is different from state police work. They all have their pros and cons. You have to figure out which one fits you best. Lastly, you touched on it but having spent the past year and change doing background investigations, DON'T LIE OR HIDE ANYTHING. Youthful and even some adult indiscretions can be explained, but a lie or perceived lie will get your butt booted out in a heartbeat. PM me if you have any questions. Good luck. It is a noble calling.
Old 24 June 2017, 01:31 PM   #27
Gaijin
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
I am a retired police officer.

Sadly, in this day and age in this climate I would not recommend the job to anyone. In fact where I used to work, people that I know that are still on the job tell me that exact thing. How awful it is and that they don't recommend the job to anyone.

That being said, it is a calling and if you feel it is yours, then you have to do it.
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2017, 01:33 PM   #28
TSD
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660/16710
If you haven't researched the advantages your accountimg/CPA skills give you when applying to the FBI, you'll want to look closely. The Bureau historically seeks CPAs and attorneys, and your age isn't going to be a negative.
https://www.fbijobs.gov/career-paths/special-agents
TSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2017, 01:40 PM   #29
roaddog359
"TRF" Member

Watch: Bluesy
Quote:
Originally Posted by cda555 View Post
Hello all

Thats funny I am thinking of doing the opposite. But seriously good luck, any questions send me a pm.
roaddog359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2017, 02:47 PM   #30
cda555
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc and PO
Thinking about a career change: From accountant to cop

I want to thank everyone for taking the time to reply to this. It really does mean a lot to me.

Two of my bests friends are officers and I have pestered them relentlessly before making the decision. I understand that it is extremely difficult and often boring work. I'm a bean counter so anything is a step up in the excitement category. When I was in undergrad I worked in a group home for delinquent teenage boys that also had mental deficits. It was hard. I have had every bodily fluid flung at me and actually worked a whole shift covered in urine. While it was often difficult I found the work to be fulfilling. Perhaps I am naive to think that I can make a difference in this day and age. Regardless, I want to give it a go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cda555 is offline   Reply With Quote