The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 10 October 2020, 04:05 AM   #1
shakeb0x
"TRF" Member

Thoughts from community (Snoopy 50th vs Tokyo 2020 Panda)

Hi everyone,
Hope you are well and safe. To mention first, I only have one Omega in my collection (James Bond ref: 210.22.42.20.01.004).

It's been exciting to hear about all the snoopy news. I placed my deposit back in June with my OB and just heard I'm number #10 in line. I anticipate at least a 12-18 month wait.

I wanted to get thoughts from the community.

I've been eyeing a 2020 Tokyo Panda (522.30.42.30.04.001). As this piece was only released in JPN, I have been looking at dealers in that region to try and obtain the watch (but a bit hesitant as I have never bought a watch overseas remotely over chrono).

I know we haven't seen any snoopy wrists shots yet (only fratello) but thoughts on the differences and it would be great if you have the Tokyo, how do you like it?

Thanks
Old 10 October 2020, 04:09 AM   #2
The Continental
Banned

Both great........you can't go wrong!!!!
The Continental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2020, 04:29 AM   #3
JParm
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes!
100% the Panda for me. Love the classic look, and might get one in the future.
Old 10 October 2020, 05:19 AM   #4
alpharulez
"TRF" Member

Watch: Assorted!
Nice watch

I believe there is another Apollo XI anniversary watch in a similar config. Both are great Panda examples.

Good work with the deposit on the Snoopy! Omega have done a great job of it. Wish they had thrown in the bracelet to match.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
alpharulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2020, 05:31 AM   #5
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
I had the opportunity to get the Panda but I passed. I am getting the Snoopy.

The panda will be a better daily in my opinion. And if you don’t want a large collection then the Panda is pro the better choice. It’s more versatile.

My recommendation would be to get the panda and get a 2015 Snoopy strap and you will have a great watch.

If you know anyone in Tokyo have them hunt one down for you. I think retail is out fo the question at this point but second hand was less than $7000 when I was there earlier this year.

42itus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2020, 07:29 AM   #6
shakeb0x
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42itus View Post
I had the opportunity to get the Panda but I passed. I am getting the Snoopy.

The panda will be a better daily in my opinion. And if you don’t want a large collection then the Panda is pro the better choice. It’s more versatile.

My recommendation would be to get the panda and get a 2015 Snoopy strap and you will have a great watch.

If you know anyone in Tokyo have them hunt one down for you. I think retail is out fo the question at this point but second hand was less than $7000 when I was there earlier this year.

Thanks for the info. The markup is a lot higher now on those Tokyo 2020 pieces. I will ask around to see if anyone is local. also, some of the dealers on chrono talk about paying tax when it arrives in the US. Not sure how that works.
Old 10 October 2020, 07:30 AM   #7
shakeb0x
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeezy14@hotmail.com View Post
100% the Panda for me. Love the classic look, and might get one in the future.
Thanks alot! Great collection in your sig
Old 10 October 2020, 07:30 AM   #8
shakeb0x
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpharulez View Post
Nice watch

I believe there is another Apollo XI anniversary watch in a similar config. Both are great Panda examples.

Good work with the deposit on the Snoopy! Omega have done a great job of it. Wish they had thrown in the bracelet to match.

Yes, excited to hear more info on the snoopy. for now, leaning towards the panda.
Old 10 October 2020, 08:30 AM   #9
GADNYC
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
I have a Tokyo 2020 (green and gold) and my son purchased it when he was visiting Tokyo summer of 2019. It doesn't get much wrist time as the back is intricately carved and thus a bit uncomfortable. I've also purchased from overseas and shipped back (that was Switzerland) and it was not a smooth execution. I am in NYC and had to pay tax and the customs forms were tedious. I may have even had to pay VAT on the Swiss side. It would have been cheaper for me to fly to Geneva.
GADNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2020, 08:48 AM   #10
Trog
Banned

No question about it...the Panda for sure!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Panda.jpg (230.6 KB, 197 views)
Trog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2020, 09:25 AM   #11
shakeb0x
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GADNYC View Post
I have a Tokyo 2020 (green and gold) and my son purchased it when he was visiting Tokyo summer of 2019. It doesn't get much wrist time as the back is intricately carved and thus a bit uncomfortable. I've also purchased from overseas and shipped back (that was Switzerland) and it was not a smooth execution. I am in NYC and had to pay tax and the customs forms were tedious. I may have even had to pay VAT on the Swiss side. It would have been cheaper for me to fly to Geneva.
eh, the customs forms worry me. how did that work out? did they ship the forms to you at destination or do you need to go to the carrier?
Old 10 October 2020, 09:26 AM   #12
JonaG
"TRF" Member

Watch: ...
Cheapest Tokyo 2020 panda is around $7500 with most 9-10k now in Japan. I’d almost rather go for the Apollo 11 35th. The snoopy looks great and if ur 10th I can’t imagine you waiting anywhere near 12-18months.

Old 10 October 2020, 09:26 AM   #13
shakeb0x
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trog View Post
No question about it...the Panda for sure!
beautiful pic!
Old 10 October 2020, 01:30 PM   #14
GADNYC
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by shakeb0x View Post
eh, the customs forms worry me. how did that work out? did they ship the forms to you at destination or do you need to go to the carrier?
I just pulled my emails from Christies and if shipping, I didn't have to pay VAT, but did have to pay New York City sales tax as that was my shipping address. Of course shipping costs and once the watch arrived in the US, customs made me fill out forms proving that I wasn't an importer, the watch didn't contain any banned substances (ivory etc) and there was, of course, another fee. The form was online, but I did have to spend considerable time on the phone convincing a customs clerk that I literally bought one watch for personal use. I would not do it again, I would simply fly over, pick it up at the window, pay the VAT and get it back at the airport. Hope that helps
GADNYC is offline   Reply With Quote