The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 14 February 2021, 09:44 PM   #1
dg88
"TRF" Member

Panerai 00609 - Strap Advice

Dear all,

I'm new to Panerai and have just discovered how difficult it is to ascertain which straps are compatible with the PAM00609. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the Panerai website somewhat but when I receive the watch I would rather purchase a spare strap (to save the original) plus I would like a rubber strap for overseas travel. I understand the watch is 45mm and my wrist size is 6.75"...can someone advise what size strap I should be looking for? I saw a forum post somewhere which said '27/22' but I haven't a foggiest what that means! I quote:

"The strap it comes with is a rather low grade leather Calf Monte Carlo Gold Ecru 27/22m. Most off market brand straps seem to be 26/26, 26/24 and 26/22"

I would love a strap like this:

https://www.panerai.com/en/accessori.../mxe07xct.html

...but will be compatible with the 609?! Am I correct in thinking I should reverse my decision to purchase the 609 purely because it's going to be nigh-on impossible to find straps because a key selling point about a Panerai is its customisation capability...as you all know.

If anyone has any advice I would be grateful. Maybe there are plenty of straps available for this watch...

Many thanks for your help and apologies for being so clueless...

Best wishes,

DG
dg88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2021, 10:35 PM   #2
PanosI
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710
In Radiomir with wires, you can wear 27 or 26 mm straps in the part that connects with the case.
Now its up you to choose the size of the strap in the opposite end of the strap. It can be the same width (27/27 or 26/26) or it can be tappered down to 20mm (27/20 or 26/20 with custom orders in between).
Usually, the more tappered the strap is the dressier and wearable (with shirts and suits) is.
You can't expect a 27/27 strap with a huge flat buckle to fit under the sleeve of a shirt. You get my point.
You will find your personal preferences and style with trial and error like all of us.
Also, i don't think that rubber and Caoutchouc straps fit with what a radiomir with a cushion case and wire lugs is but that is only my humble opinion.
PanosI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2021, 10:45 PM   #3
dg88
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanosI View Post
In Radiomir with wires, you can wear 27 or 26 mm straps in the part that connects with the case.
Now its up you to choose the size of the strap in the opposite end of the strap. It can be the same width (27/27 or 26/26) or it can be tappered down to 20mm (27/20 or 26/20 with custom orders in between).
Usually, the more tappered the strap is the dressier and wearable (with shirts and suits) is.
You can't expect a 27/27 strap with a huge flat buckle to fit under the sleeve of a shirt. You get my point.
You will find your personal preferences and style with trial and error like all of us.
Also, i don't think that rubber and Caoutchouc straps fit with what a radiomir with a cushion case and wire lugs is but that is only my humble opinion.
Thanks so much for explaining that. So from what you're saying my understanding is (using the above link to that blue strap I posted as an example), the widest part of the strap (where the strap connects with the wire lugs) is 26mm and then it narrows to 22mm?

Do you know of a strap I could use with the Radiomir range which is good for swimming pool use? This wouldn't be often - once a year (!) but I appreciate the factory leather strap wouldn't be suitable...

Thanks again. Knowing 26mm is compatible at the lugs makes this one sound less restrictive than I thought. Do you agree?

Best,

DG
Old 14 February 2021, 10:55 PM   #4
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Great information for the OP

Exactly how many straps are you up to now?
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2021, 10:58 PM   #5
PanosI
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg88 View Post
Thanks so much for explaining that. So from what you're saying my understanding is (using the above link to that blue strap I posted as an example), the widest part of the strap (where the strap connects with the wire lugs) is 26mm and then it narrows to 22mm?
Correct.

Quote:
Do you know of a strap I could use with the Radiomir range which is good for swimming pool use? This wouldn't be often - once a year (!) but I appreciate the factory leather strap wouldn't be suitable...
My first thought is canvas straps.

If you want to use a rubber strap I would prefer the OEM rubber in 26/22 or 27/22, but I still believe that rubber strap is out of the philosophy of the specific watch.

Quote:
Thanks again. Knowing 26mm is compatible at the lugs makes this one sound less restrictive than I thought. Do you agree?

Best,

DG
Yes. 27 is the best fit in the wire lugs but 26 is also wearable and don't look out of place. If it was normal lugs the 1mm gap is noticeable and not looking good.
Old 14 February 2021, 11:28 PM   #6
PanosI
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Great information for the OP

Exactly how many straps are you up to now?

Oh, my friend, that's a sensitive subject.

As you know, half the joy of collecting Panerai is the straps.

I'd read a nice one that said you're not a true paneristi if the value of your straps collection isn't half the value of your watch collection.

With trial and error (length, materials, in-between holes, normal or vintage spacing of the holes, oval or round, etc) you'll find your taste and what you really want but as you know it costs because good straps are too expensive.

I used to note on a piece of paper the straps I was buying and how much they cost me, but at one point at about 200 straps buys and sells I lost count.

Now I've come up with certain straps (almost 30) that I never sell even if I don't have a Panerai to wear (the 44mm watches have 24mm straps and the 47mm watches have 26mm straps). Because if I sell them I can't go again the same trip to collect them again or others are irreplaceable (my precious Kevin ADEEOS Rogers straps).
Old 14 February 2021, 11:32 PM   #7
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Oh, my friend, that's a sensitive subject.

As you know, half the joy of collecting Panerai is the straps.

I'd read a nice one that said you're not a true paneristi if the value of your straps collection isn't half the value of your watch collection...
That’s outstanding brother
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2021, 11:53 PM   #8
dg88
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Correct.

My first thought is canvas straps.

If you want to use a rubber strap I would prefer the OEM rubber in 26/22 or 27/22, but I still believe that rubber strap is out of the philosophy of the specific watch.

Yes. 27 is the best fit in the wire lugs but 26 is also wearable and don't look out of place. If it was normal lugs the 1mm gap is noticeable and not looking good.

Thanks again, that's a much appreciated response and good context for me to take away.

Final question (before I drive you nuts) if you don't mind...

The choices on the Panerai website are 'Standard/Medium/Large/XL' sizing but they do not specify what the size ranges of these are! I'm assuming the obvious here - with my small wrist 'Standard' will be fine? 6.75"

Thanks again for your help.

DG

Ps. This one looks great for taking the 609 for a quick dip!

https://www.panerai.com/gb/en/access.../mxe0bp38.html
Old 15 February 2021, 12:14 AM   #9
PanosI
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Thanks again, that's a much appreciated response and good context for me to take away.

Final question (before I drive you nuts) if you don't mind...

The choices on the Panerai website are 'Standard/Medium/Large/XL' sizing but they do not specify what the size ranges of these are! I'm assuming the obvious here - with my small wrist 'Standard' will be fine? 6.75"

Thanks again for your help.

DG

Ps. This one looks great for taking the 609 for a quick dip!

https://www.panerai.com/gb/en/access.../mxe0bp38.html
You're welcome.

When I say canvas straps, I have in mind not the OEM but canvas from third makers, which all the strap is made from canvas. I am not sure but I think that the OEM has leather from the underside.

The standard size in OEM straps was 115/75 and now is 125/75 and the long are 125/95.

I think that 125/75 will be ok in 6,75in wrist. I have 7,6in wrist and I wear the 125/75 in the second form the end hole
Old 15 February 2021, 12:25 AM   #10
dg88
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You're welcome.

When I say canvas straps, I have in mind not the OEM but canvas from third makers, which all the strap is made from canvas. I am not sure but I think that the OEM has leather from the underside.

The standard size in OEM straps was 115/75 and now is 125/75 and the long are 125/95.

I think that 125/75 will be ok in 6,75in wrist. I have 7,6in wrist and I wear the 125/75 in the second form the end hole

Cheers! Not sure where you're located but I've googled third party strap makers and most results are in USD not £ so it's a bit tricky! Any recommendations on retailers?

I'll send Panerai a message about the materials used on the one I mentioned and let you know what they say!
Old 15 February 2021, 12:37 AM   #11
PanosI
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Cheers! Not sure where you're located but I've googled third party strap makers and most results are in USD not £ so it's a bit tricky! Any recommendations on retailers?

I'll send Panerai a message about the materials used on the one I mentioned and let you know what they say!

Here is a huge Aftermarket Panerai Straps List. Be patient and take your time

https://www.paneraisource.com/aftermarket_straps.shtml

Here is how a canvas strap looks in a 45 radiomir with wire lugs

https://www.rolexforums.com/showpost...postcount=7034
Old 15 February 2021, 01:51 AM   #12
dg88
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Here is a huge Aftermarket Panerai Straps List. Be patient and take your time

https://www.paneraisource.com/aftermarket_straps.shtml

Here is how a canvas strap looks in a 45 radiomir with wire lugs

https://www.rolexforums.com/showpost...postcount=7034

Good grief that Paneraisource list is useful, thank you! I'll certainly be taking my time to fish through the endless list of retailers stated!

Thanks also for showing me the 2020 with the canvas. The beige/cream/brown goes well with that dial. Yours?
Old 15 February 2021, 05:12 AM   #13
PanosI
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Good grief that Paneraisource list is useful, thank you! I'll certainly be taking my time to fish through the endless list of retailers stated!

Thanks also for showing me the 2020 with the canvas. The beige/cream/brown goes well with that dial. Yours?
Not mine. I wish.

It's from "Which Panerai are you wearing today..." thread.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=265312

Another strap maker that I like his work and he isn't mentioned in the above list and from the UK is cordesleather

https://cordesleather.com/
Old 16 February 2021, 05:29 AM   #14
Fredrik
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1680
Here are some pictures of my 232 on OEM rubber:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg threePAMs.jpg (97.9 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg rubber232.jpg (97.8 KB, 108 views)
Fredrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2021, 09:59 PM   #15
dg88
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Not mine. I wish.

It's from "Which Panerai are you wearing today..." thread.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=265312

Another strap maker that I like his work and he isn't mentioned in the above list and from the UK is cordesleather

https://cordesleather.com/
Thanks!

By the way, I heard back from Panerai who confirmed the canvas strap is indeed leather backed. Oh well!
Old 16 February 2021, 10:02 PM   #16
dg88
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik View Post
Here are some pictures of my 232 on OEM rubber:

Thanks for sharing this, Fredrik - much appreciated. Looks good. I think I'll get one purely for summer use. Is yours 26mm lug width??

On a side note, Panosi - I checked out the directory you kindly noted above and came across this excellent company located in Barnstaple, Devon:

https://toshi-straps.co.uk/

He sells the screwdrivers for both the Radiomir and Luminor series so I grabbed the Radiomir one and enquired about straps. Very friendly service - will be using him once I have ordered the watch. Can't wait!

Best wishes,

DG
Old 17 February 2021, 05:19 AM   #17
Fredrik
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1680
The 232 is 27mm, the strap mounted is 26mm.
Fredrik is offline   Reply With Quote